Overall Satisfaction with ScienceLogic SL1
Phone home data collectors can be temperamental when first set up. A lot of PowerPacks, installed by default via the ISO, could be eliminated and make the initial platform less busy.
SL1 is used as a strategic monitoring tool for hybrid cloud environments, compute, middleware and database. More recently we have expanded into network device monitoring to provide a holistic monitoring platform for multiple user groups. We have a mix of hosted and SaaS platforms across all geographies. SL1 is deployed in an agentless mode which reduces the administrative overhead associated with legacy tools that were reliant on one or more agents to perform similar functions.
- VMware vSphere stack monitoring
- Linux operating system monitoring (ssh)
- Historical performance data gathering and presentation
- Consolidation of functionality into a single PowerPack. e.g. Microsoft: Windows Server
- Search feature for historical events. Currently have to check individual devices.
- Need the ability to template thresholds on Linux devices based on Organization and filesystem name.
Do you think ScienceLogic SL1 delivers good value for the price?
Are you happy with ScienceLogic SL1's feature set?
Did ScienceLogic SL1 live up to sales and marketing promises?
Did implementation of ScienceLogic SL1 go as expected?
Would you buy ScienceLogic SL1 again?
- SaaS deployments reduce administrative overhead
- Appliance based builds simplify and speed up the infrastructure build process
- The platform upgrade process saves a lot of time by propagating to all appliances automatically in the same session. This trims hours off upgrades to previously deployed legacy products
SL1 is perfectly suited to customer environments that have little deviation across monitored devices (e.g. consistent build, standard thresholds). Customization of thresholds can be cumbersome. Lots of customers with particular monitoring requirements have found it hard to accept that SL1 doesn't do it "like other tools". Requirements for more than two thresholds on a single metric have proven challenging. Individual platforms have a maximum device count of ~35K - 40K. Scaling beyond that number involves multiple stacks. ScienceLogic has improved collector performance drastically with concurrent collection methods, requiring less investment in infrastructure. SaaS deployments are very convenient, reducing administrative overhead and responsibility.