Pingdom used during a maintenance activity

Jason Bouchard | TrustRadius Reviewer

Software Version

Standard

Overall Satisfaction with SolarWinds Pingdom

I've deployed SolarWinds Pingdom in a few customer deployments to help facilitate site checking of the network post migration. This tool helps to check interconnectivity between data centers by checking the recovery and response of remote applications during a migration exercise. Demonstrating to the customer the ability of the tool to check their end hosts/applications and the length of outage builds up their confidence during a maintenance activity.
  • End host response.
  • End site recovery times.
  • API recovery.
  • Based on limited use I haven't seen any shortcomings as of yet.
  • Quick response to outages.
I have used a host of other ping applications that were used to generate responses back from end hosts but that just shows the responsiveness of the host and not the applications. Seeing the response back from an application is crucial especially when a system is taken down and is sensitive to any network outage.
Based on the ability of Pingdom to help determine system outage times and report it is helpful. It's almost instant and I can provide this info to the customer and their groups that are involved in the troubleshooting during a window. I like the visualization of issues along with how accurate the data is.
Corporate data center migrations are highly sensitive to any type of outage. During live system cutovers, network migrations and integration between data centers, Pingdom was used to check system communications and response times prior to, during and after the network activities. By monitoring the systems along with reports generated I was able to see the issues and address them quickly.

ROI

0-4 hours time saved per person per week - Solarwinds has allowed our troubleshooting teams and installation teams use the product to determine issues for deployments. This helps us to determine areas to address, architecture to fix or network design issues. We used this on a per site basis to validate our customer environments for their benefit. It has helped resolve quite a few issues.
Less than .5 points (e.g. from 98.6% to 98.9%) - Reliability wasn't an issue. This was used more in a design aspect for customer deployments.
  • Price
  • Product Usability
Quick deployment and movement between sites helps us resolve numerous issues
Yes. Time to active for customer deployments have been significantly reduced
yes. we've saved a lot of man hours

Using SolarWinds Pingdom

Usability is good. Portability is also good. I am able to place this on various VMs in the DC and use that to help determine what areas to concentrate on. It also helps to find issues prior to a window that I can identify as not being part of the work to be performed and that the customer needs to address.