February 22, 2019
Score 9 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with VWO
In my organization, we manage the UX and CRO on our client's websites and use VWO to give us the ability to AB test on the sites. It only gets used by the UX and CRO team, and not in other departments. Mainly it helps us by giving us the ability to test the impact of making changes on websites, so we can build the changes in house and direct traffic to the appropriate percentage of users, with less time required for the clients.
- Ability to direct test traffic to specific user types, devices, IP addresses allows easier test previewing and allows you to direct relevant traffic to the tests.
- It is easy to set up new sub-accounts and sub-users so relevant people can view relevant accounts.
- Ability to send preview links and QR codes of test variations.
- The idea of having heatmaps with test variations are great. However, I find the VWO heatmaps largely unreliable, and don't show much data.
- The previews links are really important so we can send our tests to clients before setting them live. However, they are really unreliable and are quite difficult for clients to use. You have to ensure the client clears their cookies and views the test in incognito, which is fine, but even after doing this it does not always work.
- Building tests can be quite awkward as the code editors are overlaid over the view of the page, so you can't instantly see what the changes to the code do to the page -- you have to close the code editor, then select to correct variation. If you then find something isn't right, you find yourself repeating this a lot.
- VWO has had a positive impact on our business objectives as we believe testing is extremely important on websites to ensure we have the quantitative data to support changes we make.
We sometimes use the 'split URL' part of VWO if we have a larger test and want to test sending traffic to two different page variations.
This is a great tool to use if you are wanting to change something on your site, but want to make sure it is the best thing to do for the user. You can use this tool to track user conversion and engagement on the website to track the success of the changes you are made. Although, if the changes are quite large on the page/site, it may not be appropriate to do this on VWO, as it can break and cause more issues on your site. For instance, major changes to the page, such as new navigation, may be too big for VWO.