Likelihood to Recommend
I feel the way Luminate handles donor information is very organized and full. I am a database/reports person so I love how easy it is to find and process information. Some portals don't allow that much information into donor's profiles but Luminate provides a lot of room for history and bio information that is great for reports.
- The donation forms are easy to set up to start collecting donations instantly.
- Getting an e-mail out the door is fairly straightforward.
- The TeamRaiser module is great for fundraising for big events with multiple registration levels and allowing participants to fundraise on your behalf.
- Constituent management is fairly easy.
- Email management is limited. Constituents are only able to have a primary email address and a secondary address which is only mailed to when using the CC function. Sending to the correct and preferred email address is difficult to discern and effective use in Luminate requires extensive data cleanup.
- Reports are not as user-friendly as in other programs. It has occurred multiple times where users are unsure how to get specific fields to pull in reports.
- TeamRaiser is a challenging addition to Luminate. Campaigns within it require extensive work and management.
Likelihood to Renew
Based on 20 answers
While there are some limitations it is working for us. We just renewed and likely will again in the future. You have to invest a lot of money and time to get it set up and so the decision to switch to another vendor would need to be a big one. If costs continue to rise or performance declines relative to peers we would absolutely consider switching but for now, as long as it's one of the frontrunners and the cost is appropriate, we will continue.
Program Manager in OtherHospital & Health Care Company, 5001-10,000 employees
Based on 26 answers
You have to be very tech savvy to use Luminate to its fullest potential. You can get buy with the training, but there is a steep learning curve and you almost need 6 months to 1 year of in-person training to really be able to anything substantial. The online training lessons are not going to cut it while learning this program.
Employee in OtherBiotechnology Company, 201-500 employees
Reliability and Availability
Based on 3 answers
Do not have many issues with Luminate Online. Whenever we do, Blackbaud team fixes it almost immediately.
Employee in OtherNon-Profit Organization Management Company, 11-50 employees
Based on 9 answers
Pages load fast and 98% of the reports do run in a matter of secons/minutes. There is this one report I have that can take hours to run, but this is due to the amount of transactions being requested for one of our biggest online fundraising events (Transaction report)
Based on 31 answers
Support staff are usually incredibly helpful and responsive. There are several ways to contact them (chat, logging a ticket, phone) which makes it easy to get help when you need it. Once in a while I get a support staff member who isn't quite as helpful, which is why I gave it a 9 instead of a 10, but that is rare and if I follow up with someone else, I get what I need.
Based on 2 answers
Initial training was great and the instructor was very patient and helpful during the set up process. Blackbaud has a variety on online self-paced classes that supplement the training you receive. The only downfall is after training is complete. I've found the support for Luminate to be a tad lackluster. We often encounter issues that aren't on Luminate's development road map and have had a series of cases be opened.
Based on 15 answers
Luminate has some decent videos available, the problem is that it's hard sometime to know what video to watch and where to find it. The program has been around awhile and gone through a lot of changes, and the tools and guides to help you make the most of it are often outdated or not related to what you need. Using its training database can be daunting for a new admin. For us, the most helpful training has just come from playing around with it and learning through experience, then when a tech question comes up going straight to their support chat. It's been the fastest way to weed through resources and that crew is very helpful
Based on 4 answers
Implementation of Luminate itself was rather smooth, but the process involved for TeamRaiser was very difficult. Even after implementation we relied on support to help with various aspects of TeamRaiser from page design to reporting and front end user issues. The support offered for issues with Luminate was very good, but again TeamRaiser support was lacking.
The only other product I have used for this type of fundraising work is NetCommunity and it hasn't been as scalable or versatile. It doesn't really offer the peer to peer fundraising of Luminate or the constituent management, web page development and considered donation forms. NetCommunity didn't even come close which is why we replaced it with Luminate.
Director in Product ManagementHospital & Health Care Company, 1001-5000 employees
Based on 12 answers
Though I have my issues with Luminate, in terms of "scalability" it does have some decent flexibility to house additional information or add on additional products (Like LCRM, LO, Team Raiser, etc) that allows for added functionality as our data/needs grow and shift
Return on Investment
- There's no denying that as a long term Convio client (now Luminate Online) that we have significantly grown our NPO with these tools. And our ROI is in the positive range.
- The negative impact has been the cost of related services we must engage to configure and maintain and deploy many areas of Luminate Online with a small staff. There is just too much "specialized," insider-work-around knowledge to make it a stand-alone product without large additional costs to use the product to it's full potential.
- This product used to set the trends and now it holds us back from being able to take advantage of the trends in many ways. An integrated system can become a limitation in this current social web environment. Staff coming in from outside the Luminate/Convio environment often complain about the system because they are used to the "ease-of-use" of many of today's offerings in the marketplace.
Strategist in CorporateNon-Profit Organization Management Company, 1-10 employees
Premium Consulting/Integration Services
Entry-level set up fee?