Consul Reviews

Erlon Sousa Pinheiro | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 19, 2019

Build a strong layer to handle your configuration data with HashiCorp Consul.

I've been using Hiera as a database for my puppet deployments for years, specifically by using encrypted Hiera, but this year I had to create a new environment and I have decided to try something more robust. My logical choice was to look for something well established on DevOps ecosystem. I've heard a lot about HashiCorp Consul and I have decided to try it. Now, Consul is my official key-value solution being reliable and efficient making me confident mainly about high availability.
  • Key-Value database management.
  • Service discovery.
  • Centralized configuration database with native high availability.
  • Consul should have cryptography built in. Depending on other solutions for that doesn't look smart in my opinion.
  • Its Frontend has space for improvements.
  • Documentation also is a little poor.
Consul looks to me like an amazing solution to store configuration data. In huge cloud environments like what we are using nowadays, it is quite important to have a reliable source of parameters to our distributed applications, easily scalable and also, easy to change parameters spreading them efficiently over our entire environment.
I've never used paid support from HashiCorp, but I consider its support a good one, since they provide a lot of free resources for the community and there are good user groups supporting you on several sorts of issues. Also, HashiCorp is known as a company with a strong relationship with the community, that is easily noticed by the events HashiCorp promotes over the world.
Read Erlon Sousa Pinheiro's full review
August 08, 2019

Using Consul For Multiple Things Cross Organization

Consul is currently being used at our company across multiple teams in both development and operations. We use Consul as a back-end for Vault, we use Consul as a means to do service discovery and health checks, and we also use the Consul K/V store to coordinate runs of our configuration management platform, Chef.
  • Service Health: Using Consul for service health/discovery has been critical to our success in a hybrid environment
  • K/V Store: The Consul K/V store is the best solution out there for our particular use case, which is as a locking mechanism to coordinate otherwise random runs of our configuration management system. This has allowed us to have peace of mind of system availability in our on-prem infrastructure.
  • API: The Consul API as a whole is excellent and extremely easy to work with
  • Documentation: Hashicorp really does documentation well. Their examples are easy to follow and everything is written in a manner that is easy to understand for beginners with the tool.
  • The GUI: The GUI interface for Consul has gotten a lot better over the years. Since Consul is so easy to interact with via API, this isn't a showstopper, but for those that are less command line inclined it's always nice to be able to refer them to an easy to use and understand web interface
  • It's chatty: Consul is extremely chatty. Sometimes it's particularly chatty at 2am with no indication as to why and eats up quite a bit of resources. Just be sure to provision your systems that typically take a heavy load with a little extra for Consul
Right now, I would wager to say that Consul is the best cloud agnostic solution for service health/discovery and for integrating with Vault (for obvious reasons).
At present, I do not have any experience with interaction from Hashicorp support. That said, I'm rating them a 5 on principle because they have excellent and well thought out documentation.
Eric Krueger | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 18, 2018

Easy to use and the ROI will make you a rock star!

Consul is being used by the IT department to help create efficiencies across the company. Because we are a multi-data center environment we rely on Consul's monitoring to keep us alerted properly. Our DNS and services get a big boost while making our engineer's jobs easier. I highly recommend this product for any IT department.
  • Consul makes keeping our DNS up to date very simple and easy.
  • Configuration changes are a snap when Consul is involved.
  • All of our services register easy and we sleep better knowing Consul is on the job.
  • We would like to see more out of the box training for Consul use.
  • Best practice examples would be nice for routing.
  • The agent could be easier to run.
Consul is well suited for both SMB as well as enterprise environments. I have found it to be a robust scalable tool to help make our company more efficient. Consul excels in a single database or a multi-database environment which makes searches easier. Small businesses might find this a bit overkill as a product but it can still benefit them.
Read Eric Krueger's full review
Claudio Fernando Maciel | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 15, 2017

Simple Hands on Service Discovery

We are using Consul as our service discovery to provide load balancing decisions on our swarm of containers, distributed throughout our clients' servers, as well as our servers. The DevOps team is the responsible for leveraging our Consul instances, maintaining them and keeping them communicable with all our nodes in a real time fashion.
  • Quick, hands-on solution to integrate with Docker containers via Docker-machine in a Docker Swarm flavour
  • Automatic provisioning of the mapped services via a dynamic API. One cannot beat that!
  • Free Health Checking means by which we can assert whether a certain service is up and running or not.
  • When it gracefully dies, it dies too gracefully. Way to graceful to find in a simple way what was wrong.
  • Working with the ACLs could be a little simpler.
  • I didn't find a native way of configuring it as a circuit breaker. Perhaps that could be an item to be improved in the future.
I've been using Consul as my only service discovery tool for my Swarm of Nodes, deployed with Docker. Also, as a side effect, it provides me a great health checking tool for my node services. I didn't need to to much configuration, pretty much the stock Consul docker image ran almost out of the box, without much hassle, which in this aspect, is a basic characteristics of Consul.
Read Claudio Fernando Maciel's full review

About Consul

HashiCorp Consul is a tool for discovering and configuring services in the IT infrastructure. It provides service discovery, health checking, key/value stores and support for multiple data centers out of the box.

Consul Technical Details