Microsoft Visual Studio Code Reviews

Keegan Gladstone | TrustRadius Reviewer
Visual Studio Code is used at will by our development team. Developers are allowed to use whichever IDE/code editor they would like. About 50% of our Javascript developers use VS Code, while the other 50% use WebStorm. For development in other languages like Java, they may pick a more robust IDE like Eclipse. I spend 80% of my time developing in Javascript and VS Code allows me to easily customize the workspace for my workflow, as well as quickly switch and inherit workflows from other projects.
  • VS Code is really good at allowing customization and extensibility. There are a ton of extensions to use for all types of workflow enhancement. In particular, the user snippets and keybindings really help me personalize the experience for my developing style.
  • VS Code works really well with Typescript. I really like the linting and IntelliSense that come with it. It makes the development process so much faster!
  • I like that it has an integrated terminal. The terminal makes it easy to execute programs, tests, and make git changes. Its all right there and easily opened with a hotkey. I love that you can even run as many as you want! so one tab can be running a webpack development server, another watching your tests, and another for making git commits. All without leaving the window.
  • The command palette is a nice touch. It's very easy to open with a hotkey and customizable to your own commands. Once you are familiar with all of them it makes your workflow quite fast, being able to open, run, change the configuration, etc all with simple commands.
  • Sometimes it can't keep up with all of the extensions, linting, etc that you are trying to run. It's great that it is lightweight, but if you don't get your configuration right you can be asking it to do a lot. An example is if you are running ESLINT and don't tell it to ignore the node_modules, it will try to lint it. I noticed this really slows things down to the point where you need to reload the window.
  • You can't open the same project in two different windows. A forward approach to git repositories is to have a 'monorepo'. This doesn't the best with VSCode since you can't open the same project in multiple windows. It constrains you to either opening subfolders individually (which messes up the runtime root) or forces you to work in the workspaces mode.
  • There is no visibility into conflicting extensions. It would be great if they added visibility into what extensions are accessing which pieces of the internal API, so they could notify users of conflicts.
I really like VS Code for web development. All the latest Javascript and Typescript are supported and the workflow really aligns with what's available in the editor. Its also really fast, so running things a webpack development server for 'hot reloading' is a breeze and makes for super-fast development. I love that it can run and reflect my changes immediately, and doesn't seem to slow down my computer in any way.
Read Keegan Gladstone's full review
Tim Hardy | TrustRadius Reviewer
We used Microsoft Visual Studio Code to handle many of our JavaScript projects. Visual Studio Code is much more suited to Single Page Application (SPA) projects, NodeJs projects, and any client-focused projects than Visual Studio. Visual Studio is not a good fit for any project that needs to respond to many files changing on the file system, which SPA projects typically do. Visual Studio Code fills this gap by allowing the file system to be the source of truth, instead of fighting changes to the file system, like Visual Studio will do.
  • Manages SPA applications well by responding to changes on the file system, such as those made by "ng serve".
  • Manages any npm-based application by responding to changes made by "npm install".
  • Highly pluggable architecture allows the Developer to configure their environment however they like.
  • I would like there to be a more "out of the box" default configurations for Angular projects. By default, Visual Studio Code does not honor tslint suggestions in Angular projects, and it creates friction between devs who are set up to honor Angular's tslint guidelines and newer developers who are not. Just a single choice to "configure for Angular" would be great.
  • I would also like to be able to use the Visual Studio Code as a "git merge tool" to handle merge conflicts. You currently can't do that in VS Code.
  • I'd like to be able to pin tabs like I can in Visual Studio, so I can keep certain files always open.
Visual Studio Code is perfect for any JavaScript-focused project, especially those which have a lot of file changes occurring from outside the IDE. Any sort of linting process or auto-building process, like "ng serve", gulp, grunt, etc will be well-served and managed via Visual Studio Code. We use it for any scenario where Visual Studio becomes a pain in the butt. Conversely, .NET projects are better served with Visual Studio.
Read Tim Hardy's full review
Torrey Vegter | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 05, 2019

Simple, easy to use tool

Our Data Engineering team uses Visual Studio Code to create Python ETL processes. The VS Code environment provides a simple IDE that enables efficiently writing and testing code.
  • Low memory usage.
  • Excellent extension library.
  • Simple to use.
  • Source control is a bit clunky.
Visual Studio Code is a great tool to maintain a code-base as long as the language is fully supported (testing, code completion, etc) through the extensions.
Read Torrey Vegter's full review
Francisco Araya | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 28, 2019

The best studio platform

I am not sure if Microsoft Visual Studio is being used along with the organization. At least in our department, it is used to develop solutions to some problems mostly in our servers hosting our analytics tool.
  • Microsoft Visual Studio allows developers to create dynamic web applications and websites.
  • The best feature is that it can be used for a wide variety of technologies.
  • It can be integrated with different databases.
  • The reporting services are quite limited in terms of features.
  • Since it is a heavy product it consumes a lot of resources.
  • The full Visual Studio IDE doesn't run on Linux.
VS Code is a universal solution. I like that most of the developers around any type of organizations know how to use it. I can easily find the staff on Microsoft forums, that is also a good thing. Also, we have other components that are running on top of Visual Studio and it is open to other platforms. There are many resources for Microsoft Visual Studio within the internet and anyone can easily find support.
Read Francisco Araya's full review
Evan Archuleta | TrustRadius Reviewer
Microsoft Visual Studio Code helps me write python in a clear and organized fashion. The python package helps color code and indent as needed. It has made learning python easier and I would recommend it to anyone! It's been my favorite way to code so far above JupyterLab and online based systems.
  • I love the color coding and automatic error checking.
  • Can run multiple terminals within.
  • Python library is easy to install and very helpful.
  • It would be nice to create folders within Microsoft Visual Studio Code instead of creating them on your computer first.
  • Would be nice to use sticky keys so you can save CLs and your program name instead of typing it each time.
  • It auto saves some things I never intended to save like random code thoughts which is kind of annoying.
Microsoft Visual Studio Code is well suited for anywhere and especially if you don't have internet. I wish it had a mobile version as well so I could use that when I don't have my computer up.
Read Evan Archuleta's full review
Sudha Govindaraju | TrustRadius Reviewer
I work as a C# developer at my present company. I am the only C#/.NET developer in our company and I regularly use Microsoft Visual Studio Code for application development. It allows me to open one or more directories, and then save in work-spaces from where I can re-access for future use.
  • Fast
  • Cross-platform
  • Support for a variety of programming languages
  • Embedded git isn't powerful enough
  • Slow launch time
  • Bad auto import
Microsoft Visual Studio Code is an extremely fast source code editor that can be helpful for hundreds of programming languages. There are many plug-ins that could be used to extend its functionality. I've used both Sublime Text and Microsoft Visual Studio Code, but sometimes I've noticed that the launch of Visual Studio Code is extremely slow compared to the latter.
Read Sudha Govindaraju's full review
Eric Sacramento | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 10, 2019

Great Source Code Editor

All the developers in the department that I work with are using Visual Studio Code. As we develop in Oracle Apex, we have a bunch of SQL files to create objects and to insert data on applications. We also have files on a shell script that helps to build the applications for other environments. We can compile and create all the Oracle objects just using Visual Studio Code.
  • Integration with Oracle.
  • Lightweight.
  • Extensions that boost your production.
  • Updates frequently.
  • You need to close and open the program again if you add a new Oracle connection.
  • You need to save the file before executing it.
  • It should have another type of output when executing select statements.
If you want to create Oracle objects, and you code your SQL, JavaScript, HTML files, it will work fine. However, if you want to create queries for your reports and see these data on VS output is not going to help you. Another thing that helps using VS is that with the right extensions we can do a lot of stuff, and it is worth it to take time and play around with all these options.
Read Eric Sacramento's full review
Javier Carrion | TrustRadius Reviewer
Visual Studio Code comes fairly complete out of the box for small and big code projects, but there are many plug-ins available to extend its functionality. There's a new release of Visual Studio Code every month to improve the software and new features. A handy intergraded terminal readily available. For our projects is very fast and powerful.
  • Integrated task runners
  • Many plug-ins extensions available to extend its functionality
  • Integrated Git control
  • The autocomplete and code check could use more improvements.
  • Running multiple instances of it at once can consume a lot of memory.
  • Built-in documentation could use more improvements.
It has an endless number of extensions and language support packages so that our coding is as efficient and professional as it can be. VS Code consumes a lot of memory sometimes to the point of causing our computers to hang. Keyboard shortcuts could be better. It was created and designed to work in the three main operating systems: Windows, Linux, and Mac OS.
Read Javier Carrion's full review
Hareesh Madasi | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 17, 2019

The best IDE available

Being an application development team, we use Visual Studio to code in Angular and Python. It is being used by most of the developers in my organization as we found it very helpful and easy to use with the way it provides the interface and the formatting of code. Earlier we used to write the JavaScript code in Notepad and we realized how easy it is to code in an IDE like Visual Studio.
  • It will let you know if you miss any tags in HTML or even it will close the tags for you on its own when you open a tag.
  • Great interface.
  • The universal search option is a bit unclear.
  • The terminal can take a bit of time to open.
When you are an app developer or when you want to write a bit of code even in SQL, Python, C#, and what not, you can simply use Visual Studio Code, which is far better than any other IDE's we have available in the market. The encoding which it provides is also another added advantage here.
Read Hareesh Madasi's full review
Richard Davies | TrustRadius Reviewer
My team uses Visual Studio Code as our primary code editor and IDE for developing a Drupal 8 website. Its combination of a text editor and integrated command shell make it a very convenient tool. Additionally, it has great plugins that add support for Git, Github, and Docker, etc., that make it so that you rarely have to leave it and use another tool in order to accomplish daily development tasks.
  • Provides plugins that support virtually every language, file type, and code repository used for various disciplines of software development. I have yet to find anything that I use that it doesn't support.
  • It remains fast and lightweight. It never feels bogged down no matter how many plugins or extensions I've added.
  • It's constantly being updated to add new features or fix bugs.
  • There's currently a bug that causes scrolling issues in small terminal windows when using Winpty, which is kind of annoying.
It's great for anyone looking for a code editor or programming IDE. Given that it's free, I don't know of any scenario where I wouldn't recommend it.
Read Richard Davies's full review
Microsoft Visual Studio Code is being used by our department as the official text editor for web development. As a team, we have used various text editors and IDEs in the past (e.g. NetBeans, Notepad++, Atom). I was personally apprehensive of using Microsoft Visual Studio Code because at the time (about a year ago from this review), I was still happy with Atom as my text editor of choice. After Microsoft acquired Github in 2018, I knew that it could mean that the support for Atom as Github's official text editor app could wind down as VS Code becomes the focus of the development efforts. I'm happy I made the decision to switch as soon as I heard the news. VS Code has all the features that made me fall in love with Atom and is continuously evolving with tremendous development support from Microsoft.
  • The Extensions library is great and easy to use.
  • The multi-cursor editing is a godsend.
  • There was an instance when my installation got broken and VS Code wouldn't launch even after re-installation. I resorted to installing the Insiders version instead just to have VS Code in my machine.
  • The settings/extensions sync-ing should be a built-in feature instead of an extension (Settings Sync).
Microsoft VS Code is free and is very easy to use out of the box. Once you add the extensions that suit your development needs, it reaches a new level of functionality depending on the stack you're working with. If you're working on web development, there are many extensions that will make your life a whole lot easier. There's an extension for your every need.
Visual Studio Code is used by all our web development teams supporting different languages and file types. It is highly customized and has great features for collaboration. Easy git integration making it easier for the team to do frequent pushes to their branches.
  • It is highly customizable (Languages, File types, colors schemes).
  • Great git integration.
  • It is free, and multi-platform, we use it on different Linux distributions, Mac and Windows.
  • It has great support for scripting languages but for compiled languages there are some better alternatives.
  • A curated plugin list would be nice, there is a rather solid plugin suggestion mechanism, but some of the more junior members end up with some flaky plugins sometimes.
  • Configuration sync to some cloud so you can easily move stations.
Visual Studio code is providing us with a superb tool for our developers, everyone can configure it to their liking and it works well across multiple locales by using live share and integration with Slack or even Discord. Integration with Docker technologies is also great for local testing of code. It is a bit harder to get adoption from people that have been developing in compiled languages.
Our whole Web Development team uses Microsoft Visual Studio Code. It is the best open-source code editor out there. It allows us to cheaply replace an IDE with open source software, and an AppStore like suite of add-ons for enabling some pretty impressive features, all for free. You can even share code snippets across your team as a JSON file. We find this super useful. It helps our small team collaborate easier and get our Web Development work done. We use it for PHP, JS, JSON primarily, and love the extensions that help you read code easier or work faster with autocompletion of just about any coding language.
  • It's free. There are tons of IDEs out there, and many of them very useful. For a small team at a small company, you may not need to pay a dime.
  • Add-ons/extensions. There is a Microsoft Visual Studio Code Marketplace (free), where people create free extensions and add-ons with the Microsoft Visual Studio Code community. This is by far the best part about Microsoft Visual Studio Code. Our team uses extensions for autocompletion, highlighting colors in CSS/SCSS. I can't imagine coding without it now.
  • Flexibility. It is highly customizable. Our whole team uses Microsoft Visual Studio Code, but each person has put their own personal touch on the look/feel extensions they use.
  • Built-in dev tools. Native Git tools, terminal access built-in for MAC users, code linting and "prettifying" etc. Your senior dev can set the formatting for specific file types, and when saving the files, it will correct from someone who uses 2 spaces v 4 spaces v tabs based on rules that you set.
  • Needs some work to set up like a true IDE, but for free, it's worth a few mins of grabbing extensions and customizing.
  • For new coders/developers, they can go overboard with un-needed extensions, slowing down the code editor. Simple coaching can help with this.
For more advanced developers, you may find an actual IDE to be useful still, but I'll bet you can do 95% of what your IDE does with Microsoft Visual Studio Code for free. For small, scrappy (translation: cost-conscious) teams, you really can't beat Microsoft Visual Studio Code. Most of the features of a real IDE with minimal setup, and all for free. Your team may have specific needs that make an IDE necessary. However, I think for most development teams, Mircosoft Visual Studio Code will get the job done, and for free. Microsoft Visual Studio Code beats Atom in our book too because features like emmet, terminal integration, and git tools are built right into Microsoft Visual Studio Code. You need extensions for these in Atom. Microsoft Visual Studio Code tends to run more smoothly for our PC users than Atom as well.
November 07, 2019

Simple and Elegant IDE

Microsoft Visual Studio Code is used by the entire organization, open-source integrated development for web applications. It helps us to develop an application using various languages, Python, JavaScript, using the various frameworks NodeJS, Angular and React.
  • Visual Studio Code comes with many extensions which improves the development quality and saves lot of time.
  • Git integration with the Visual Studio is awesome, helps us to improve our collaborative work.
  • Search and replace functionality for the word is great and saves a lot of time.
  • Great themes available that give a great look and feel for integrated development.
  • File search functionality is very handy, helps me save a lot of time.
  • Database integration feature with integrated development would be a great feature to add since that solves a lot of time during development.
  • More extensions can be developed that will be used for the development community across multiple languages and framework.
  • UI can be improved a lot so it helps the user navigate without much documentation help.
  • Pattern matching feature can be integrated with integrated development, that can be handy sometimes.
  • IDE can be made smarter using lots of automation features such as auto code complete, etc.
It's well suited for developing enterprise applications developed using typescript, comes with a lot of extensions which makes our app development more fun and enjoyable. It's a great tool for web development work!
I wouldn't suggest this IDE if the application is being developed using Java since the extensions and integrated features should still improve in that area.
Microsoft Visual Studio Code is being used in our organization by the IT Department, of which I am a member. I use VS Code to build web-based applications to satisfy the needs and requirements of our internal operations. These web-based apps fill a specific need in our organization that off-the-shelf software does not address. Thus, VS Code gives us a way to better utilize our IT infrastructure through building custom solutions to solve particular business challenges.
  • It is a lightweight code editor.
  • It makes it easy to build and test APIs and web apps locally.
  • It is free, which means I can also develop apps on my own time and on my personal equipment in the same environment that I use for work.
  • It does not deploy to IIS.
  • It does not handle apps that require Windows authentication.
  • It cannot be used for remote debugging.
I use VS Code specifically to develop internal web-based applications using an ASP .NET API back-end written in C# and an Angular front-end. It is very easy for me to use VS Code to spin up both the API and the front-end locally for development and testing. However, in order to conduct End-User Testing, I have to switch to the full-fledged Visual Studio to deploy my applications to IIS.
Visual Studio Code is a great consolidation of features to make a seamless development environment. It is nice to be able to build, edit, and run programs from one integrated tool. The editor has integrated code completion and support for hundreds of languages. With the popularity of Node and Javascript in general, however, it has really been tailored to be the go-to development tool for those platforms.
  • IntelliSense code completion
  • Syntax highlighting
  • Integrated terminal
  • Built in scripting tools
  • Cross-platform. Windows, Mac, Linux
  • It's built on Javascript itself, so it can have trouble handling larger files.
  • It is still a new product, and even with the backing of a behemoth like Microsoft, you will occasionally run into bugs here and there.
  • It is not a true IDE so it lacks some of the tools from that kind of environment like scaffolding and Microsoft's Team Foundation Server
Microsoft Visual Studio Code is really designed and ideally suited for developers focused on client-side technologies and who want a solid cross-platform tool. For larger and more expansive projects, it is probably not the most ideal tool. Visual Studio Code fills a rapidly expanding niche in the web development world.
From developing code to managing commits on GitHub, Microsoft Visual Studio Code saves the day.
One of the best platform to develop in that provides multiple plugins for making life simple. Whatever language you need, Microsoft Visual Studio Code will support it for sure and if not, there will be multiple plugins for the same. There is code completion, error highlights, code suggestions, syntax highlights, and an inbuilt console. It is really a developers dream. Used almost by every developer and is appreciated by everyone.
  • Syntax highlighting, code completions.
  • Plugins for various additional support and extending its functionality.
  • GitHub Integration.
  • Error when handling and inbuilt console.
  • Some plugins are not easy to configure.
  • Sometimes when using auto format plugin, it makes code behave improperly. It adds additional line breaks in areas not needed.
  • Initially a bit difficult to understand how some functions work.
It is something which a developer can use for any use case may it be web development, react-native and what not. They can make some improvements to include additional features for SpringBoot and other advanced Java support which will make it even better. Nevertheless, Microsoft Visual Studio Code is a flexible program that can nearly be used anywhere.
I currently use it to develop a Laravel framework application.
  • It has a lot of plugins.
  • IDE is very well organized.
  • Changing the settings is a little complicated.
VS Code is well suited when working with multiple files at the same time.
Thomas Higgins | TrustRadius Reviewer
I am using it primarily as a replacement for Powershell ISE before that goes end-of-life. I am also using it as a general purpose text editor for cross-platform documentation (mostly in .MD format). Across the company it is not officially being used, but many developers are using it as a replacement for Visual Studio or other development environments, strictly on a personal preference basis.
  • Wide array of powerful plugins.
  • Native integration with GIT repositories
  • Cross-Platform operations - I can use the same software with the same plugins on Linux, MAC, and Windows
  • Lots of documentation on how to setup a specific environment (e.g. Using VSCode to replace Powershell ISE)
  • Keymap support for most other editors - don't have to relearn the keyboard shortcuts anymore
  • Feels "heavy" compared to most other text editors (Notepad++, TextPad, etc.)
  • Many functions rely on extensions which are of varying quality
  • Large number of plugins means required for many workflows means it is slower to load and function
Visual Studio Code is well suited to anyone who is looking to do coding or scripting in a variety of languages or just looking to get away from the heavyweight IDEs. It is as capable as Visual Studio, Eclipse, or others (with the right plugins) and yet is free of charge, cross platform, and relatively lightweight. Further it supports more languages as far as I am aware, and it seems to work equally well in any environment. Unlike a full IDE, it is lightweight enough to double as a full featured text editor, and even supports several text-based formats such as markdown and rich text format as well as plain text.

About the only situation where I would NOT recommend it is for a very basic end user who just wants a better plain text editor than notepad. In that case, I would point them towards a simpler solution that provides most/all of their needs out of the box instead of requiring plugins to complete.
Read Thomas Higgins's full review
Steven Gockley, MBA, MCSA | TrustRadius Reviewer
For our data team, to reduce budget, we use VS Code instead of the full version of Visual Studio. We use it with SQL Server Data Tools as well as for our analytics (Python) and light C# needs. While our Development Team uses Visual Studio Professional we have found on the Data team that VS Code is more than sufficient for our needs.
  • Integration with SQL Server Data Tools
  • Easy transition between the VS Environment, not a big learning curve
  • Lightweight
  • We have been able to fully integrate it in our CI processes and reduce licensing for other SQL Server products such as Red Gate Source Control
  • Certain types of projects such as Database Projects, can cause problems
If you need to use products such as SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS), SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) or SQL Server Analytical Services (SSAS) this is a more than adequate tool. Also, if you are doing light to mid-sized code projects (Not really enterprise level projects) this is a great tool.
Read Steven Gockley, MBA, MCSA's full review
Greg Garnhart | TrustRadius Reviewer
Microsoft Visual Studio Code is by no means required by our organization, but many developers use it. Though I am but a lowly intern, most of my peers and immediate bosses use it to edit code, debug projects, and push to different repos. The added convenience of the VS Code plugins store allows for quick and rapid integration with different technologies, code checkers (such as jslint), and more. It's also free, so there is really no reason not to try it.
  • It's insanely stable. I used to have problems with Atom (to be fair this was over 2 years ago) so I made the switch. Since, I can count the amount of times VS Code has crashed on one hand.
  • It's lightweight and acts like it too. It's boot time is very quick.
  • The support online is good - a lot of tutorials use it, so it's easy to follow along with.
  • Debugging can be confusing depending on the language!
Microsoft Visual Studio Code is perfect for lightweight apps, most web apps, and things that do not need a fully-fledged IDE. IntelliJ is better suited for Java apps, so use IntelliJ for Java apps! In my experience, VS Code is great for languages that are easy to run from the command line, especially things that need consistent and easy deployments.
Read Greg Garnhart's full review
Anthony Aziz | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Visual Studio Code as a secondary code editor and general text editor. It has a good balance of quick text editing and some IDE functionality. It is quick enough to edit plain text, JSON, XML, etc, or to use as a scratch pad, and it works as a lightweight code editor for scripts or snippets as well.
  • Quick text editing with syntax highlighting.
  • Explorer shell integration (right click -- Open with Code).
  • Open entire folders for working on projects (ie git repo).
  • Lots of plugins to support source control, build tools, etc.
  • Remembers last session, including unsaved files.
  • Default keyboard shortcuts are unfamiliar to anyone used to other IDEs and text editors.
  • Git integration is minimal, and barely worth using over command line.
  • Live Sharing is a great idea but needs a lot of work, especially with multiple panels.
Visual Studio Code is well suited for your everyday use text editor. It's replaced Notepad++ and Sublime Text for me, especially because it gets frequent updates. It works really well with code files, but can also be used to edit plain text or non-code formatted text files (CSV, etc). It is not a replacement for a full IDE, however. You can build and debug a full C# project using VS Code, but it doesn't have the same level of features that a heavier IDE like Visual Studio or Rider, etc. has.
Read Anthony Aziz's full review
Chris Reddy | TrustRadius Reviewer
I am using Microsoft Visual Studio Code to write cross-platform web applications. It is being used within my department and addresses the issue of installing/purchasing the full Visual Studio IDE, as well as being cross-platform.
  • Very small footprint/installation package, and it can be downloaded/installed in under 10 minutes.
  • It is a full-featured IDE and can be run on multiple operating systems.
  • It is open-source and has a great community that is continually making updates and extensions.
  • It could use some improvement in the Debug side.
  • It could also use improvement with Nuget and other source control sources.
  • It needs improvement if you're planning to develop Windows Form-based applications.
If you're needing to get up and running in a programming IDE as quick as possible, Microsoft Visual Studio Code is the way to go. It is very well tailored to web development and integrates well with Typescript and Angular.
If you're developing Windows Forms-based applications, it is not really appropriate to use. Also, if you're planning to use third-party toolkits not yet supported by .Net Core, it's a challenge to get working.
Read Chris Reddy's full review
Andrew Folts | TrustRadius Reviewer
Visual Studio Code is the first Microsoft app I've used and really loved. It provides a clean interface for writing code, and the extension/community is very helpful in adding functionality that speeds up my workflow. I primarily use it for writing React apps via GatsbyJS. The autocomplete features are handy in minimizing the amount of typing I have to do. It works well with a widescreen monitor, because you can quickly drag your tabs into different panes.
  • Clean, minimal interface
  • Great community and extension library
  • Autocomplete speeds up your workflow
  • I wish there was a way to have tab groups of commonly-opened files, because the tab bar quickly overflows
  • I don't like the "Open editors" list on top of my directories—it's redundant (the tab bar shows the same thing)
  • The code view scrollbar is annoying because it's too tiny to show anything, and should be removed. The regular scrollbar is sufficient.
Coming from Atom, I was very hesitant to adopt VS Code. I felt like Microsoft would monopolize the editor space and kill off open-source communities. The opposite is true—VS Code has a massive community and is every bit as flexible as Atom. You can even implement visual themes from Atom! I would recommend it for any web developers, although there may be better options for native developers: Xcode, etc.
Read Andrew Folts's full review
Kyle Kochtan | TrustRadius Reviewer
Microsoft Visual Studio Code is currently in use by a number of cross-platform developers. We traditionally use Microsoft Visual Studio Code on Mac or other non-Microsoft development projects. We utilize this tool a lot for front end development. This Tool allows us to quickly and easily collaborate across a wide section of cross-platform developers.
  • Ease of startup and use.
  • Only need the packages you are working on and do not need to install a number of useless items.
  • Very lightweight and fast to use due to its modular setup.
  • Installing packages is sometimes a bit convoluted.
  • Keeping other developers in sync with the 3rd party tools.
  • Git integration is lacking.
Microsoft Visual Studio Code is perfect for shops that do not want to spend a lot of time and money setting up a development environment. On the other hand, the adage of you get what you pay for is true. There are more manual steps that need to be taken for full use in a development environment.
Read Kyle Kochtan's full review

About Microsoft Visual Studio Code

Microsoft offers Visual Studio Code, a text editor that supports code editing, debugging, IntelliSense syntax highlighting, and other features.