https://media.trustradius.com/product-logos/or/S2/BNC1QP0Q6C6V.pngUbuntu Linux, A Great Server OSWe use Ubuntu for a number of tasks. Currently, we used it to run BIND DNS servers, Unified controllers, network monitoring, and our web file-box system. Previously we have also used it for wikis, hosting websites, and VPN servers. Since it is a well established and maintained distro of Linux, there doesn't seem to be an end to the services that could be run on top of it. It is based on Debian which is my preferred sub-system.,Package management Compatibility Customization,Quality of updates Ease of use Learning curve,7,Bringing monitoring in-house and eliminating our monitoring service. Providing services to clients free of cost to us. Higher maintenance times due to more frequent updates.,Windows Server,Ubiquiti Wireless WANYour best overall Linux distribution of choiceWeb application servers run Ubuntu Linux in our organization. It's a great operating system and especially a great Linux distribution when you look for stable server setups with modern versions of the software. We use it for web servers running either Apache or Nginx, and VPN servers that are super easy to set up in Ubuntu to help us maintain our data and keep our systems protected while accessing from outside the network. We also use it for any other server appliance like file servers, cache servers (Memcached, Redis) and anything else. Any new server inside the organization will run Ubuntu Linux as well.,Availability across cloud vendors is unmatched, you can expect that any cloud or hosting setup will offer a Ubuntu Linux image for you to use. Community support is great. Canonical does a great job supporting the system and the community does its part with forum participation, documentation and email support. Being based on Debian, it offers a more "modern" stable system than the former, with newer versions of most software. If you want the quality and stability from a Debian distribution, but also want modern software, this is the distribution of choice. The desktop environment is one of the bests for end users in the Linux ecosystem. Server setup and configuration is easy with the extended utilities and software from Canonical. It's a standard among Linux distributions, so you can trust that almost any Linux software will be packaged for your Ubuntu distribution.,I'd like to see Canonical REALLY betting on desktop Linux and move one step forward with innovation in that area to improve user adoption. Desktop UI decisions have been not-so-happy in the past. The ability to move back and forth with Unity has pushed a lot of users in favor of options. Having REAL desktop environment options is something to improve as well. Improvements in interoperability with other OSes would be very welcome. Sometimes it's just hard to communicate with MacOS or Windows across some protocols. Maybe it's due to the private nature of these protocols, but alternatives are around, we just need to compile and improve them.,8,Systems administration with Ubuntu is easy with little deep knowledge about it. Docs and community publications are great resources for any task you need to perform on any Ubuntu server and the organization can save several salaries of specialized sys admins in favor of more active roles. Having been an Ubuntu user for many years personally, setting up new Ubuntu servers on my organization came with zero cost for me. I just deployed one instance from my hosting/cloud provider and started working right after it was running, no need to ask support or hire new staff for these tasks. Replacing paid options with Ubuntu have also saved thousands of dollars on Windows Server licenses. I've migrated Windows/SQL Server based systems to Ubuntu/MySQL/PostgreSQL several times during my career and saved about USD 5000/year in licenses to many of them.,CentOS, Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) and Windows Server,Nginx, PostgreSQL, MySQL, Google Cloud SQL, Google Cloud Storage, DigitalOceanUbuntu Linux is part of the skeleton of my companyWe use Ubuntu Linux on all digitalAtelier PCs:DevelopersGraphic DesignersAdministrative staff. Test serversProd. servers. In addition, we use Ubuntu Linux in interactive terminals installed at our customers' premises and on their servers.,Open Source so it can be verified by everyone, and is updated faster than proprietary software. It is a very stable and easy administration platform. Ubuntu is easy to learn and has a large and dynamic community. Regular output and support cycle. Much easier to maintain as all deposit programs are automatically updated.,Sometimes the drivers to fine-tune the hardware are missing. No accounting software that is currently compliant with French regulations is available. Few preconfigured PC manufacturer offers.,10,Almost no investment. Almost all applications are free of charge. This is no small advantage for a company like ours. Very low maintenance.,Windows Server, Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) and Suse Linux,Node, Nginx, MongoDBUbuntu Linux solves many problemsWe use it as an inexpensive yet nearly indescribably helpful tool. It’s rock solid which is something that I’ve never heard someone say about Windows Server. Ubuntu Linux is practically the default setting for data science projects that are web app deployed.,Secure. Stable. Ubiquitous. Free.,Not sure they can improve. Hire developers to make more. Ubuntu Linux as a virus to take over and delete Windows Server and have it be replaced with Ubuntu Linux.,9,We spend time building the app vs dealing with a dumpster fire of problems that Windows Server creates. It has a learning curve but so does everything. The flags can be a challenge to learn for Ubuntu Linux terminal running headless.,SCO UnixWare 7 and Citrix ADC (formerly NetScaler ADC),Salesforce App Cloud, Windows Server, Windows Server AppFabric, Windows Server Failover Clustering, Cisco IOS SecurityGreat OS replacement, still needs some tweaking to be perfectUbuntu is being rolled out in our organization as the go-to development environment due to the ease of use of the APT package manager and the stability of the LTS releases. We find that it constantly gets updates and that support is widely available on the internet for all of the applications that we use to produce our products.,Great package support. Stable. Support for the OS is easy to find online.,Proprietary drivers can be troublesome at times. The APT repository is not always up to date with the latest packages. Packages are sometimes hard to find in the APT repos.,9,We've been able to standardize our development enthronement to avoid conflicts. Canonical Livepatch helps cut down reboots and shutdowns due to updates. Some programs on Linux don't perform quite as well as their Windows counterparts and it becomes difficult to adopt them.,VMware Workstation, Hyper-V, Vagrant, Adobe Acrobat DC, SOLIDWORKSOur solution for mid-range desktops , high-performance video editing, on-premise servers, and the cloud.Ubuntu Linux fills many needs for us. In the Amazon cloud, it is our web server OS. On our corporate network, we run many virtualized Ubuntu Server instances to provide shared file storage, DHCP, DNS, and the internal intranet web server. Our multimedia room runs on Ubuntu Desktop to manage our library of AV materials, handle streaming video, and record over-the-air television. We have several workstations that run Ubuntu Desktop. In some cases, we dual-boot Ubuntu on older MacBook Pros because it runs faster. We have some video-editing workstations that use open-source software, and we find those applications perform much better under Ubuntu than Windows or MacOS.,Widespread support among vendors. It's one of the most widely used Linux distributions. Hardware drivers are available for the majority of our devices. Multiple supported desktop flavors are available: Gnome, XFCE, KDE, etc. We find it extremely reliable as a desktop and server OS. We seldom need to reboot.,Older NVidia cards have poor hardware support. Older Broadcom Wi-Fi drivers are unreliable. High DPI monitor support is improving but needs more work. Font rendering can be improved, particularly sub-pixel hinting on LCD displays,10,We have only seen a positive ROI. It's free to license. It's easier to use and support than most other distributions, so there are reduced labor costs. Adding Ubuntu to our mixed network of Mac and Windows computers has made more applications and solutions possible.,CentOS, SUSE Linux Enterprise Server and Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL),Microsoft Teams, UltraEdit, TeamUp, DaVinci ResolveUbuntu Linux - the best Linux distributionFor any situation where a Linux solution is appropriate we use Ubuntu Linux. This includes many open source solutions, the Apache web server, security purposes such as IDS (Intrusion Detection System), and many other uses where we find Ubuntu Linux to be a perfect fit.,Ubuntu Linux is one of the most user-friendly, and admin friendly Linux distributions available. Most things can be done form the provided GUI tools without needing to use the command line. It works well for those more familiar with Windows too. For things that Linux traditionally does well, such as Web Servers, PHP, firewalls, etc., Ubuntu Linux is a perfect choice. It is easy to set up and secure by default. There are several distributions of Ubuntu Linux that are specialized for specific tasks, so you can choose the version that is most suited. For example, There is the standard Ubuntu Desktop release, Ubuntu Server (without the x-windows gui) for server tasks. There are at least two "lite" releases, Lubuntu and Xubuntu which are lite on system resources for older PC's. There are releases that use different desktop software for a different look and feel. There is even a release tailored toward multi-media creation (Ubuntu Studio). All of these still use the same Ubuntu base and share many of the same tools and utilities.,There is a bit of a learning curve (although not severe) for those who are more familiar with Windows. While Ubuntu Linux does provide many admin programs and utilities, there are still things that need to be done from a command line, and by editing configuration files. You will find however that this is actually a very efficient way to get things done. You can integrate into a Windows-based network, and be able to access shared folders and Windows Network drives. There is some set up required, however.,10,There are many things that you can use Ubuntu Linux for, even in a Windows-based environment. For example, network monitoring is handled very well by Ubuntu Linux (using Open NMS). Since Ubuntu Linux is freely available, you don't have to worry about purchasing a license for each server you build. Ubuntu Linux also runs well as a virtual machine on the Hyper-V server.,SUSE Linux Enterprise Server and Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL),Notepad++Ubuntu Linux, a Great Way to Extend a Computer's Life.I began using Ubuntu Linux as a personal user; however, I began using the operating system at work as well. I found that Ubuntu Linux was much faster than Windows on my Lenovo Laptop. In the event that I needed to use Windows for work or personal use, I utilized Windows as a virtual machine.,Ubuntu Linux appears to be more efficient than Windows, at least on some machines. Ubuntu Linux is very secure and typically requires no antivirus software. Ubuntu Linux utilizes an update system that stays out of the way of the user.,Ubuntu Linux is probably the least intimidating of all the different Linux distributions; however, in some cases, the user may still run into problems with certain hardware drivers. The software center that comes with Ubuntu Linux has historically been very buggy. The software center is also supposed to serve as the package manager for the operating system. I believe that Ubuntu could choose a better package manager for the operating system. Generally, Ubuntu Linux allows users to avoid having to use the terminal for interacting with the operating system; however, sometimes it seems that using the terminal is unavoidable. I think that Ubuntu Linux should have a built-in tutorial for all new users to learn at least the basics of the Linux terminal commands.,8,Ubuntu Linux allowed me to use an older Lenovo laptop for much longer than I would have been able to if using Windows. This allowed me to utilize my available funds for other assets. When I first began using Ubuntu Linux there was a steep learning curve. I ran into multiple issues with hardware drivers being unavailable for my device. As a result, I learned how to compile my own drivers. The computer skills that I learned by using Ubuntu Linux carried over into my job as a healthcare simulation specialist. Even though I learned a lot through the issues I had with hardware drivers on Ubuntu Linux, the time it took me to figure out how to navigate these issues negatively impacted my efficiency at work.,Oracle VM VirtualBox, Google Drive, Microsoft 365 BusinessUbuntu Server - A quick and painless OS for Python app development and deploymentIn my current role, I am using Ubuntu to deploy python applications and cron scheduled jobs that relate to telephony platforms. Since the development that I have done doesn't specifically bind us to Windows, it was a far better decision to go with the free and open source OS. As far as I am aware, mine is the only team using Canonical's distribution of Debian Linux, but I am sure there are other test and development environments that employ it. Ubuntu has provided us with a dependable platform for rapidly deploying telephony integrations, ranging from API based data extraction to full on web apps to allow more granular security access to certain telephony components.,The community support is phenomenal. There is a complete wealth of documentation just in forum questions alone if you have the willingness to look for them. The popularity among lower cost hosting services (digital ocean, linode, etc) has led those providers to create very nice administrative documentation for Ubuntu that goes above and beyond the quality typical of the community documentation. All of this being accessible without being subscribed to their services. The cost. I mean, this is kind of a "duh" point, but reducing the OS cost of a server isn't something to scoff at. Ubuntu server receives regular updates and security fixes, sometimes faster than other paid OS.,I think that Ubuntu (and Linux in general) have an image problem. There is an appearance that you have to be a Linux proficient admin to set up and administer a server, when the reality is that the command line nature lends to the administration being easier than other GUI based OS. I think they need to work on that some to get further market penetration. Update their pre-installed version of python from 3.5,10,The cost (in conjunction with low-cost internal hosting) has allowed us to take chances on application development that would return in efficiency or better business practices, but not financially.,Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL),Genesys PureConnect, Cisco Unified Communications Manager (Call Manager), Genesys PureCloudUbuntu Linux - the universe of "open source" (free!) awaits you!Ubuntu Linux is an open source (free) operating system for desktops and laptops. It has the same purpose as Windows 10 and Apple's Mac OS. For desktop/laptop applications, Ubuntu Linux, for me offers superior performance to Windows 10 and offers huge cost savings when compared to making the leap into the "everything Apple" world. Apple's proprietary equipment is usually multitudes more expensive than laptops and desktops which are designed to run Windows, and any Windows computer can be re-configured to run Ubuntu Linux. Ubuntu Linux add-on application programs are also open source (free) and are at least equally as functional (and often times superior) to their Windows counterparts. Most of the work products generated by Ubuntu Linux software are also fully compatible with Windows 10 or Apple/Mac users.,Ubuntu Linux is extremely resource efficient in using a desktop/laptop system's resources, particularly as compared to my experiences with any Windows product. (Its architecture is the foundation for Chromebooks as well as the Android operating system for smartphones). Eliminating the loading and processing hang-ups I commonly experienced with Windows is a huge plus. The "open source" universe is hugely appealing, both because of high quality, free and compatible software, but also because it allows such a high level of customization. Open source systems and software means no "bloatware," no intrusive programs popping up where you don't want them, and the freedom to purchase outside of a particular vendor. The quality of the operating system is truly a "gold standard" to me. It works, and, unlike Windows, doesn't have the "back door" security vulnerabilities Windows is constantly trying to patch.,Although it's continually improving, Ubuntu Linux doesn't come preloaded on equipment (generally) and it takes some know how to set it up, configure and function with it. Generally, the open source software which runs on Ubuntu Linux offers really good compatibility with Windows or Mac products, but, sometimes it just doesn't work, and you're on your own to research what's going on. There are a lot of forums for Ubuntu Linux users, but, it can be frustrating. Traditional "support" for Ubuntu Linux is non-existent - because it is open source (and free!), there is no online "team" to chat with or call when you're having a tech meltdown. I think this is an inherent trade-off in the "for profit" and "open source" model - again, there are lots of forums, and users who've been very generous with their time is helping people sort things out, but it is not a system for anyone not willing to invest some time in the learning curve.,10,What's the ROI on free? Technically, infinite - not having to pay for software is a huge deal for a small company. Ubuntu Linux extends the lifecycle of equipment - because it's so resource efficient, you don't constantly need to upgrade because the operating system is consuming so much RAM. In fact, you can rejuvenate older Windows equipment which can no longer run effectively by replacing Windows with Ubuntu Linux. On the negative side, a user can get bogged down with technical difficulties, taking time away from more productive activities. It's a great solution for those comfortable and willing to learn new technology (or, if there's a tech-savvy, experienced, "go to" in the company).,Windows Server,LibreOffice, CalibreUbuntu Linux, A solution for businesses that needs to be evaluatedWe use Ubuntu Linux for several functions. First and foremost, it is part of a multi-tier, multi-location backup implementation. The Linux system copies critical data from a macOS server to its local raid array on an hourly basis. Then this data is copied/backed up to a remote location. The Linux system is also used as a web server for testing new content before we roll it out to the production web server.,Flexibility. It is easy to add and remove services. As our business needs change, so can our Ubuntu Linux system. Software Updates. Very rarely does a software update break Ubuntu. If issues do arise it is fairly easy to back out the changes,Third-party applications. The lack of mainstream applications, like MS Office, make it more difficult to deploy any Linux system at the client end. Linux is more of a do it yourself OS. Implementation, support, and use require more technical expertise than other OS's, most notably macOS.,8,In our case ROI is hard to calculate. It has allowed us to solve business challenges and not have to purchase new hardware to do so. On the negative side, it has added another OS to our mix. Support staff now has to be trained or hired with the requirement of Linux knowledge.,,Microsoft 365 Business, Backblaze, WordPressNew experiences using UbuntuIt is being used by the entire organization since it has several operating services of the corporation, web services, database services, and others.,It is a very stable and easy administration platform. It defines roles and profiles for installation, graphic environment and only command. line. In the internal operation is a platform that helps us to support websites for employees. Its integration with web services and its graphic environment make an easy management of the platform. It is very useful to carry out tests and validations in its desktop versions, for the development area it allows having virtual environments and doing many tests before launching a service.,Cleaning of packages or incomplete installations in a graphic environment Better documentation and help for the configuration of the firewall, in the graphics mode, and the command line. Not all users are experts in this area and implementing it can be very difficult.,8,We have not measured this type of scenario since has not been a critical platform until now. When we are required to restore the systems we take 2 paths, we use the shadow of the virtual one and in other cases, it reinstalls the system. It does not take long.,Oracle Linux and Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL),Windows Server, Oracle Linux, Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL)Full Ubuntu Linux ReviewI use Ubuntu Linux in my personal IT work, for computer hard drive diagnosis and also as an alternative to Microsoft Windows. For the computer hard drive diagnosis, I find that Ubuntu accesses a damaged hard drive differently than Microsoft Windows in that I find I have a better percentage of data recovery. I have had hard-drives that Windows would not even see, but once booted in the Ubuntu environment....the hard-drive was accessible and I was able to perform data recovery. As for being an alternative to Windows, I have used it to build streaming boxes and have used it for hosting security surveillance systems.,Very easy GUI to maneuver around in. Many choices of compatible applications to use with Ubuntu. There are straight terminal based functions that you do not find in Windows.,I have found that Ubuntu has had some hardware compatibility issues, but those issue have disappeared in each evolution of it. There aren't too many areas they can improve with this OS-- they keep up with things available in Windows fairly well.,10,Using Ubuntu Linux for my troubleshooting purposes has given me a reliable tool which has proven itself over and over. Being able to recover data written off by other techs makes me look pretty good in my field. Being able to use on older machines which do not have a valid up-to-date OS makes these machines worth keeping around.,Ubuntu - The first real competitor to WindowsI have used Ubuntu Linux in a series of projects, from servers to embedded devices, with the exception of an Ubuntu phone. The primary area that Ubuntu solves is the support for hardware devices that are not normally supported in completely *free* distros of Linux. This is both a feature of Ubuntu and a con, as most Linux developers will not recognize Ubuntu as an authentic distro. However, some hardware makers (i.e. Nvidia) want the Linux community businesses, but they are not willing to release the source code for their video drivers, thus users resort to distros like Ubuntu, who are actively using the non-open drivers, and thus they garner a wider non-developer user audience (i.e gamers, etc.).,Usability ( ease of installation) "Store" concept: bringing package management (in Linux this has always been a problem) into the 21st century Flexibility ( there are sub-distros of Ubuntu) Debian-based (so some sanity in package management),Too system-oriented: often contains large libraries to accomplish just one small problem (remind of you another OS?) Requires too many resources to run simple software (i.e. TOO pretty) Unity.,5,Time in deployment: rather than spending 10s of hours unpacking and building packages, just pop the USB into the slot and boot. Development: Ubuntu works with Windows, software via Wine, and it is packaged natively in Ubuntu, so having that functionality out of the box is very helpful. The terminal is very sexy in Ubuntu.,Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) and CentOS,BMC Remedy Asset ManagementUbuntu Linux for fast, secure, cost effective hardware.Ubuntu Linux is a fast, secure, and cost-effective way to use your current IT infrastructure. Ubuntu offers an alternative to Microsoft operating systems that is intuitive and easy to learn for users of all technical abilities. We use Ubuntu for specialized systems ranging from student testing in high stakes testing environments to our payroll systems in our finance department.,Intuitive, easy to learn interface Secure from the bottom up Cost effective, free,Default colors are childish, but easily updated Decent, but not great learning curve for new admins and help desk Most business users will want to stick to LTS releases,10,Small learning curve for end users Official support is paid Some users are resistant to change,Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) and Windows Server,MySQL, Sakai, MoodleA great alternative to Windows for light duty processingWe use Ubuntu Linux to extend the life of older personal computer hardware. I have repurposed personal computers that struggled to run Windows XP by installing Ubuntu Linux which provided a more modern interface and improved responsiveness, continued updates, productivity software, and access to other open source applications.,Ubuntu Linux is an efficient operating system and can be used to extend the life of aging hardware and provide essentially free OS software for smaller demands such as word processing, web browsing, software development. Ubuntu provides command line install tools for common open source applications and provides a nice way to consciously update software. Ubuntu is widely used and has a vast support community. I am able to easily gather information about requirements I have through web searches. Linux is open source and has no licensing fees.,I currently do not have improvement comments for Ubuntu server in the areas of performance vs. its Linux counterparts. Ubuntu does not support as much software as the Windows OS community. While it supports common productivity software such as Libre Office, many client installed games and applications will not run on Linux. Linux does not support all hardware and peripherals. An embedded wifi adapter that works in Windows may not work with Ubuntu.,9,We have been able to repurpose old hardware and make it useful for other use cases such as sandboxing, or running light-weight OS's that don't tax the computer processer and memory the way Windows continues grow over time. We have been able to rely in Ubuntu based PCs to provide development tools for more employees at a lower cost We have been able to familiarize ourselves with Linux on a PC basis and strengthen our ability to perform similar tasks in a server environment, which we also operate in.,windows 10 and windows xp,MySQL, Apache Tomcat, Apache Web ServerMy experience with Ubuntu LinuxUbuntu Linux is used by our research team. We have several remote servers for doing computationally intensive work, and they run Ubuntu Linux. Ubuntu is free, as are most of the software that can be installed on Linux. This is great for our research team, as we are working from a limited grant. I have not had any issues with Ubuntu yet and seems to be more stable than Windows. Because it is more stable, we are able to focus more on running analyses and doing our research rather than dealing with operating system bugs. Ubuntu is a much more lightweight operating system than Windows, and updating the system has never caused any issues (unlike Windows!).,The user interface is sleek, intuitive, and easy to use. I love it! It is also highly customizable. Package installation is very easy. You can either download via the command prompt or search for packages within the Ubuntu software center and download via the GUI. Ubuntu is much more lightweight than Windows, has less bugs, and is more stable.,Not all software is compatible with Ubuntu Linux. Many of our collaborators use Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, etc.), which makes sharing files difficult. Adobe is not available for Ubuntu Linux, and although it is not a huge issue, it is somewhat annoying when working with collaborators who do use Adobe software. Hardware support for Ubuntu operating systems is limited.,9,Most of the work in our research team is conducted on a Linux server running Ubuntu. Thus, our research progress relies heavily on the proper functioning of the Ubuntu operating system. Interfacing with the remote server via Ubuntu is intuitive and simple and has allowed us to complete code development and run large analyses. There have been a few issues with software not running properly on Ubuntu, and I had to use a Windows computer to do some other work I would have preferred to do on the Linux server. I attempted to remedy the issues, but I was not able to do so. When this happened I lost several hours of time I could have devoted to more productive activities. The best thing about Ubuntu is that it is free! Since I work in a research organization that is somewhat limited in funding, this helps my organization save money.,Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL),GitHub, ArcGIS, BoxReview of Ubuntu LinuxUbuntu Linux is being used throughout the entire organization, across several engineering departments. It is being used to write some software for spacecraft design and trade studies analyses and simulation, as well as several applications and services for ground software infrastructure, data handling and telemetry manipulation. I personally use it for spacecraft design, simulation and even controls and estimation applications. Using Linux throughout the company is a good way to have a consistent platform.,User Interface Command line terminal Free,Security System Logging in all the time Rapid upgrades,8,It is free Great collaboration within teams and across departments A lot of time gained on software version control,Microsoft Windows and MacOS,MATLAB, Oracle VM VirtualBox, Atlassian Confluence, GitlabBest for the DeveloperUbuntu is one of the best platforms for the developer. It is free and it has all the features which a developer wants. Ubuntu is being used in our organization as a development. We develop the website in Ubuntu Operating System. There is no charge. It is free. You can easily install any repo there.,Free Good for the development Purpose Any Repo you can add,Support needs to be improved User interface for beginners Installation process,10,Good in development phase Good as a server No need to pay single amount,CentOS,Amazon Relational Database ServiceUbuntu makes your developers happy!Ubuntu is very developer friendly and we are able to deploy on premises, or in the cloud with ease.,Efficient & fast Installation of software packages Automatic security updates Up to date libraries,Authentication with AD Security certification,10,Rapid development Developers efficiency Rock solid stability,CentOS and Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL),MongoDBUbuntu- it’s getting thereAt present, by myself as my daily desktop and on a few servers.,Easy install Support for almost all hardware Easy install of new software via apptitude,Better dock Further or easier support for integration into a windows server environment. Unfortunately a lot of companies have Active Directory as their backbone Better support for extended monitors More customizable docks,8,Free\opensource helps reduce licensing cost,ubuntu server,Windows Server, Microsoft Azure, Microsoft Office 365A development wonderlandIn a LAMP focused development environment, Ubuntu is a popular choice. We use it for many scenarios, including internal applications, hosting servers, local development workstations and virtual machines. Ubuntu provides a familiar base for many applications in our development and IT departments for efficient deployment and maintenance of workstations and servers.,Community Support Hardware Support Relative Ease of Use,Reliability - always more bugs to track down with large hardware base. Documentation - Bridging the gap between first time users and experts. Community support is excellent for this though.,10,Efficiency of server implementation Efficiency of local development,CentOs,CentOS, Windows Server
Ubuntu Linux

Ubuntu Linux Reviews

Ubuntu Linux
Filter 123 vetted Ubuntu Linux reviews and ratings

Christian Shaheen profile photo
July 05, 2019

User Review: "Ubuntu Linux, A Great Server OS"

• Package management
  • Compatibility
  • Customization
  • Quality of updates
  • Ease of use
  • Learning curve
Ubuntu Linux is well suited for any set-and-forget systems. It is easy to update (given a snapshot option) and has lots of good information/documentation online. I go straight to Ubuntu for just about any server application it has a package for. I still use and recommend Windows for file servers and desktops/general purpose machines. Ubuntu is also great in a budget situation. Since Ubuntu is based on Linux and is open sourced, the team maintain it doesn't charge licensing fees.
Read Christian Shaheen's full review
Leonel Quinteros profile photo
February 23, 2019

Ubuntu Linux Review: "Your best overall Linux distribution of choice"

• Availability across cloud vendors is unmatched, you can expect that any cloud or hosting setup will offer a Ubuntu Linux image for you to use.
  • Community support is great. Canonical does a great job supporting the system and the community does its part with forum participation, documentation and email support.
  • Being based on Debian, it offers a more "modern" stable system than the former, with newer versions of most software. If you want the quality and stability from a Debian distribution, but also want modern software, this is the distribution of choice.
  • The desktop environment is one of the bests for end users in the Linux ecosystem.
  • Server setup and configuration is easy with the extended utilities and software from Canonical.
  • It's a standard among Linux distributions, so you can trust that almost any Linux software will be packaged for your Ubuntu distribution.
  • I'd like to see Canonical REALLY betting on desktop Linux and move one step forward with innovation in that area to improve user adoption.
  • Desktop UI decisions have been not-so-happy in the past. The ability to move back and forth with Unity has pushed a lot of users in favor of options. Having REAL desktop environment options is something to improve as well.
  • Improvements in interoperability with other OSes would be very welcome. Sometimes it's just hard to communicate with MacOS or Windows across some protocols. Maybe it's due to the private nature of these protocols, but alternatives are around, we just need to compile and improve them.
Ubuntu Server setups are great for most server solutions. Security is good enough and usability is off the charts compared with other alternatives. You can get a full LAMP setup after a few apt commands. When security or stability is critical though, Ubuntu may not be the best option. Maybe downgrade to the latest Debian stable or go with some BSD solution for these scenarios. For Windows users looking for a Linux Desktop distribution, Ubuntu is the number one option for me.
Read Leonel Quinteros's full review
Gregory Pecqueur profile photo
February 13, 2019

Review: "Ubuntu Linux is part of the skeleton of my company"

We use Ubuntu Linux on all digitalAtelier PCs:
  • Developers
  • Graphic Designers
  • Administrative staff.
  • Test servers
  • Prod. servers.

• Open Source so it can be verified by everyone, and is updated faster than proprietary software.
  • It is a very stable and easy administration platform.
  • Ubuntu is easy to learn and has a large and dynamic community.
  • Regular output and support cycle.
  • Much easier to maintain as all deposit programs are automatically updated.
  • Sometimes the drivers to fine-tune the hardware are missing.
  • No accounting software that is currently compliant with French regulations is available.
  • Few preconfigured PC manufacturer offers.
Ubuntu is recommended for any workstation. Especially on a developer and/or graphics workstation. They are easy to maintain, fast and highly customizable. The production servers are easily manageable and very fast.

Unfortunately, in France, it is difficult to use it on an accounting PC.
Read Gregory Pecqueur's full review
Andrew Schell profile photo
April 26, 2019

User Review: "Ubuntu Linux solves many problems"

• Secure.
  • Stable.
  • Ubiquitous.
  • Free.
  • Not sure they can improve.
  • Hire developers to make more.
  • Ubuntu Linux as a virus to take over and delete Windows Server and have it be replaced with Ubuntu Linux.
Well suited for web applications, and client or server-facing applications.
Read Andrew Schell's full review
July 18, 2019

Ubuntu Linux Review: "Great OS replacement, still needs some tweaking to be perfect"

• Great package support.
  • Stable.
  • Support for the OS is easy to find online.
  • Proprietary drivers can be troublesome at times.
  • The APT repository is not always up to date with the latest packages.
  • Packages are sometimes hard to find in the APT repos.
Ubuntu is definitely one of the friendliest Linux distros out there and can be a good OS replacement for computers both new and old. Older hardware benefits from a slight boost in performance when compared to Windows. There are plenty of applications that are free or low-cost available via Ubuntu's built-in software store that works very similarly to Microsoft's equivalent software and file formats are compatible.

One caveat is that these equivalent applications will perform most of the functionality the same but they are not an exact copy of Microsoft's software and some features may be unavailable. If you absolutely require a Microsoft product like Access, Microsoft SQL Server, Visio or Project, you'd best look elsewhere as there are currently no versions available for Linux. While you may be able to use Wine or PlayOnLinux to get the applications to run, your mileage may vary and a lot of time, research and tweaking will be required to make things work as expected.
June 19, 2019

Ubuntu Linux Review: "Our solution for mid-range desktops , high-performance video editing, on-premise servers, and the cloud."

• Widespread support among vendors. It's one of the most widely used Linux distributions.
  • Hardware drivers are available for the majority of our devices.
  • Multiple supported desktop flavors are available: Gnome, XFCE, KDE, etc.
  • We find it extremely reliable as a desktop and server OS. We seldom need to reboot.
  • Older NVidia cards have poor hardware support.
  • Older Broadcom Wi-Fi drivers are unreliable.
  • High DPI monitor support is improving but needs more work.
  • Font rendering can be improved, particularly sub-pixel hinting on LCD displays
If you are using low-horsepower hardware and open-source software will satisfy your business needs, Ubuntu is a great platform. If you are working with web-based applications, there's probably no reason Ubuntu won't work fine for you. For many server applications, the Ubuntu Server LTS (Long Term Support) distribution is excellent. However, if you are in an Apple-centric ecosystem, or are heavily invested in a Microsoft Office workflow, you may not find Ubuntu a good fit. It's notable that even on my Windows development machines I always have an Ubuntu virtual machine (or one running under Windows Subsystem for Linux) that I keep handy for web development tasks or other online work that may be awkward under Windows Powershell.
June 05, 2019

Review: "Ubuntu Linux - the best Linux distribution"

• Ubuntu Linux is one of the most user-friendly, and admin friendly Linux distributions available. Most things can be done form the provided GUI tools without needing to use the command line. It works well for those more familiar with Windows too.
  • For things that Linux traditionally does well, such as Web Servers, PHP, firewalls, etc., Ubuntu Linux is a perfect choice. It is easy to set up and secure by default.
  • There are several distributions of Ubuntu Linux that are specialized for specific tasks, so you can choose the version that is most suited. For example, There is the standard Ubuntu Desktop release, Ubuntu Server (without the x-windows gui) for server tasks. There are at least two "lite" releases, Lubuntu and Xubuntu which are lite on system resources for older PC's. There are releases that use different desktop software for a different look and feel. There is even a release tailored toward multi-media creation (Ubuntu Studio). All of these still use the same Ubuntu base and share many of the same tools and utilities.
  • There is a bit of a learning curve (although not severe) for those who are more familiar with Windows. While Ubuntu Linux does provide many admin programs and utilities, there are still things that need to be done from a command line, and by editing configuration files. You will find however that this is actually a very efficient way to get things done.
  • You can integrate into a Windows-based network, and be able to access shared folders and Windows Network drives. There is some set up required, however.
The most common use for Ubuntu Linux is probably for web-based applications. It is fairly simple to install the LAMP stack (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) which is used by many open source web-based applications. The Apache web server is one of the most commonly used web servers and is fast and stable.
February 28, 2019

Review: "Ubuntu Linux, a Great Way to Extend a Computer's Life."

• Ubuntu Linux appears to be more efficient than Windows, at least on some machines.
  • Ubuntu Linux is very secure and typically requires no antivirus software.
  • Ubuntu Linux utilizes an update system that stays out of the way of the user.
  • Ubuntu Linux is probably the least intimidating of all the different Linux distributions; however, in some cases, the user may still run into problems with certain hardware drivers.
  • The software center that comes with Ubuntu Linux has historically been very buggy. The software center is also supposed to serve as the package manager for the operating system. I believe that Ubuntu could choose a better package manager for the operating system.
  • Generally, Ubuntu Linux allows users to avoid having to use the terminal for interacting with the operating system; however, sometimes it seems that using the terminal is unavoidable. I think that Ubuntu Linux should have a built-in tutorial for all new users to learn at least the basics of the Linux terminal commands.
Ubuntu Linux is perfect for older machines that are starting to slow down with other operating systems. In the event that an individual or a company desires to lengthen the duration of use for their machines, Ubuntu Linux may be a viable option to do so. Ubuntu Linux is also very secure in its default configuration. Any individual or company that desires a very secure operating system that does not require expensive security software should look into Ubuntu Linux. Ubuntu Linux does not run many commonly used applications in its default configuration. For example, Microsoft Office does not natively run on Linux; however, there are now web-based versions that may fill this need. Additionally, Windows can be run as a virtual machine within Ubuntu Linux, which would allow the user to run any required Windows application.
January 23, 2019

Ubuntu Linux Review: "Ubuntu Server - A quick and painless OS for Python app development and deployment"

• The community support is phenomenal. There is a complete wealth of documentation just in forum questions alone if you have the willingness to look for them.
  • The popularity among lower cost hosting services (digital ocean, linode, etc) has led those providers to create very nice administrative documentation for Ubuntu that goes above and beyond the quality typical of the community documentation. All of this being accessible without being subscribed to their services.
  • The cost. I mean, this is kind of a "duh" point, but reducing the OS cost of a server isn't something to scoff at.
  • Ubuntu server receives regular updates and security fixes, sometimes faster than other paid OS.
  • I think that Ubuntu (and Linux in general) have an image problem. There is an appearance that you have to be a Linux proficient admin to set up and administer a server, when the reality is that the command line nature lends to the administration being easier than other GUI based OS. I think they need to work on that some to get further market penetration.
  • Update their pre-installed version of python from 3.5
Ubuntu Linux is well suited to any application that is not OS bound due to its design. Some companies write their applications for the Windows server because of the ubiquity that the platform has, but if they were written for Linux they would be handled just as well. Ubuntu is also a fantastic platform for any Python-based development. It comes pre-loaded (though a tad out of date now with 3.7 released) and there's no shortage of documentation on stack overflow to get you up and running.
Linda Sasenick profile photo
January 10, 2019

Review: "Ubuntu Linux - the universe of "open source" (free!) awaits you!"

• Ubuntu Linux is extremely resource efficient in using a desktop/laptop system's resources, particularly as compared to my experiences with any Windows product. (Its architecture is the foundation for Chromebooks as well as the Android operating system for smartphones). Eliminating the loading and processing hang-ups I commonly experienced with Windows is a huge plus.
  • The "open source" universe is hugely appealing, both because of high quality, free and compatible software, but also because it allows such a high level of customization. Open source systems and software means no "bloatware," no intrusive programs popping up where you don't want them, and the freedom to purchase outside of a particular vendor.
  • The quality of the operating system is truly a "gold standard" to me. It works, and, unlike Windows, doesn't have the "back door" security vulnerabilities Windows is constantly trying to patch.
  • Although it's continually improving, Ubuntu Linux doesn't come preloaded on equipment (generally) and it takes some know how to set it up, configure and function with it.
  • Generally, the open source software which runs on Ubuntu Linux offers really good compatibility with Windows or Mac products, but, sometimes it just doesn't work, and you're on your own to research what's going on. There are a lot of forums for Ubuntu Linux users, but, it can be frustrating.
  • Traditional "support" for Ubuntu Linux is non-existent - because it is open source (and free!), there is no online "team" to chat with or call when you're having a tech meltdown. I think this is an inherent trade-off in the "for profit" and "open source" model - again, there are lots of forums, and users who've been very generous with their time is helping people sort things out, but it is not a system for anyone not willing to invest some time in the learning curve.
The primary investment required to run Ubuntu Linux is some up-front time - there is a learning curve, and the user needs to be comfortable and have a little confidence in their technical abilities. In exchange, you have a new, free, universe of applications and solutions available to you, which you can run on any Windows equipment.

If you have an unlimited budget, little patience, and don't mind being tied to a vendor, buy Apple products.
Read Linda Sasenick's full review
Dave Linden profile photo
January 17, 2019

Review: "Ubuntu Linux, A solution for businesses that needs to be evaluated"

• Flexibility. It is easy to add and remove services. As our business needs change, so can our Ubuntu Linux system.
  • Software Updates. Very rarely does a software update break Ubuntu. If issues do arise it is fairly easy to back out the changes
  • Third-party applications. The lack of mainstream applications, like MS Office, make it more difficult to deploy any Linux system at the client end.
  • Linux is more of a do it yourself OS. Implementation, support, and use require more technical expertise than other OS's, most notably macOS.
Ubuntu Linux is excellent at offering services on older hardware. It is a way to extend the life of older hardware and solve business challenges at the same time.

Ubuntu Linux is less appropriate for end users with little or no experience with open systems management and use.
Read Dave Linden's full review
Erick de Leon Ponciano profile photo
December 19, 2018

Ubuntu Linux Review: "New experiences using Ubuntu"

• It is a very stable and easy administration platform. It defines roles and profiles for installation, graphic environment and only command. line.
  • In the internal operation is a platform that helps us to support websites for employees. Its integration with web services and its graphic environment make an easy management of the platform.
  • It is very useful to carry out tests and validations in its desktop versions, for the development area it allows having virtual environments and doing many tests before launching a service.
  • Cleaning of packages or incomplete installations in a graphic environment
  • Better documentation and help for the configuration of the firewall, in the graphics mode, and the command line. Not all users are experts in this area and implementing it can be very difficult.
In my opinion, it works very well for internal environments, web pages, and network services. I do not recommend it for very critical environments and environments that are published on the internet.
Read Erick de Leon Ponciano's full review
December 18, 2018

"Full Ubuntu Linux Review"

• Very easy GUI to maneuver around in.
  • Many choices of compatible applications to use with Ubuntu.
  • There are straight terminal based functions that you do not find in Windows.
  • I have found that Ubuntu has had some hardware compatibility issues, but those issue have disappeared in each evolution of it.
  • There aren't too many areas they can improve with this OS-- they keep up with things available in Windows fairly well.
Ubuntu is a good free, easy-to-use operating system. There is a learning curve for a first timer, but this is the same curve you would find with anyone going from Windows to Mac or visa-versa. Using a computer loaded with Ubuntu for a webpage host with Apache...or using as a web proxy with Squid...or using as a Bitcoin mining machine as I have done in the past year with a terminal based script...Ubuntu has tons of applications. Just using for a straight alternative is also perfect, and learning to use it is fun.
July 22, 2018

Ubuntu Linux Review: "Ubuntu - The first real competitor to Windows"

• Usability ( ease of installation)
  • "Store" concept: bringing package management (in Linux this has always been a problem) into the 21st century
  • Flexibility ( there are sub-distros of Ubuntu)
  • Debian-based (so some sanity in package management)
  • Too system-oriented: often contains large libraries to accomplish just one small problem (remind of you another OS?)
  • Requires too many resources to run simple software (i.e. TOO pretty)
  • Unity.
Ubuntu is GREAT for modern hardware, running on client systems. There are some admins who will swear by the Ubuntu Server distro, and that's fine with them, but the ONLY value proposition for me is its user-friendliness.
Christopher Sweets profile photo
May 04, 2018

Review: "Ubuntu Linux for fast, secure, cost effective hardware."

• Intuitive, easy to learn interface
  • Secure from the bottom up
  • Cost effective, free
  • Default colors are childish, but easily updated
  • Decent, but not great learning curve for new admins and help desk
  • Most business users will want to stick to LTS releases
Ubuntu Linux is recommended for any user or origination who needs a fast, cost-effective, and secure system for desktop or servers. Ubuntu has an excellent knowledge base, and millions of helpful articles to help new users get accustomed to Ubuntu Linux and do what they need to be happy and productive workers.
Read Christopher Sweets's full review
Jeff Hanson profile photo
April 17, 2018

Ubuntu Linux Review: "A great alternative to Windows for light duty processing"

• Ubuntu Linux is an efficient operating system and can be used to extend the life of aging hardware and provide essentially free OS software for smaller demands such as word processing, web browsing, software development.
  • Ubuntu provides command line install tools for common open source applications and provides a nice way to consciously update software.
  • Ubuntu is widely used and has a vast support community. I am able to easily gather information about requirements I have through web searches.
  • Linux is open source and has no licensing fees.
  • I currently do not have improvement comments for Ubuntu server in the areas of performance vs. its Linux counterparts.
  • Ubuntu does not support as much software as the Windows OS community. While it supports common productivity software such as Libre Office, many client installed games and applications will not run on Linux.
  • Linux does not support all hardware and peripherals. An embedded wifi adapter that works in Windows may not work with Ubuntu.
It works well with open-source based products and development tools (Eclipse, Arduino IDE, languages like Python). Ubuntu is not appropriate for use in corporate environments where enterprise Microsoft based software rules the organization. Personal computer security integration in corporate environments is difficult as well. Many vendors do not create software for Linux, but instead focus on Windows, and to a slightly lesser extent, Mac.
Read Jeff Hanson's full review
Maike Holthuijzen profile photo
July 14, 2018

User Review: "My experience with Ubuntu Linux"

• The user interface is sleek, intuitive, and easy to use. I love it! It is also highly customizable.
  • Package installation is very easy. You can either download via the command prompt or search for packages within the Ubuntu software center and download via the GUI.
  • Ubuntu is much more lightweight than Windows, has less bugs, and is more stable.
  • Not all software is compatible with Ubuntu Linux. Many of our collaborators use Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, etc.), which makes sharing files difficult.
  • Adobe is not available for Ubuntu Linux, and although it is not a huge issue, it is somewhat annoying when working with collaborators who do use Adobe software.
  • Hardware support for Ubuntu operating systems is limited.
Ubuntu is a beginner-friendly Linux distribution, so it is appropriate for many types of users; to those who are just getting starting with Linux, to advanced programmers. Though Microsoft Office applications are not available in Linux, comparable software is available for Linux that has comparable functionality. However, I would not recommend Ubuntu for organizations that rely heavily on Windows software. Ubuntu is great in settings where money is limited, because Ubuntu is free, and most of the software packages are also free.
Read Maike Holthuijzen's full review
Lucas Riggi profile photo
February 15, 2018

"Review of Ubuntu Linux"

• User Interface
  • Command line terminal
  • Free
  • Security System
  • Logging in all the time
  • Rapid upgrades
Coding and compiling software on the same consistent operating system throughout the entire company. The command line terminal is very easy, user-friendly and intuitive to use in collaboration with a git server for version control of documents, code, software as well as deployment of software application upgrades. All in all the command line makes navigating Ubuntu very easy.
Read Lucas Riggi's full review
February 15, 2018

Ubuntu Linux Review: "Best for the Developer"

• Free
  • Good for the development Purpose
  • Any Repo you can add
  • Support needs to be improved
  • User interface for beginners
  • Installation process
It is well suited in the development area. Apart from that, we are using Ubuntu as a server. we host our client website on the Ubuntu server in AWS.
November 08, 2017

Ubuntu Linux Review: "Ubuntu makes your developers happy!"

• Efficient & fast
  • Installation of software packages
  • Automatic security updates
  • Up to date libraries
  • Authentication with AD
  • Security certification
Ubuntu is excellent for hosting web apps, OS for your data analysis pipeline, IoT devices, etc.

What makes it really shine is on a developer's workstation. It's pure ease setting up your environment, while keeping setup similar to what is in production.

The fault is weak integration with some third party vendors and some Enterprise apps. But these days even Microsoft is on the Linux bandwagon.
November 13, 2017

Ubuntu Linux Review: "Ubuntu- it’s getting there"

At present, by myself as my daily desktop and on a few servers.
  • Easy install
  • Support for almost all hardware
  • Easy install of new software via apptitude
  • Better dock
  • Further or easier support for integration into a Windows Server environment. Unfortunately a lot of companies have Active Directory as their backbone
  • Better support for extended monitors
  • More customizable docks
Use as a daily desktop for new and experienced users. However with this in mind, it would be great if it was a little more “stupid proof” like Windows.
Chris Putnam profile photo
July 17, 2017

Ubuntu Linux Review: "A development wonderland"

• Community Support
  • Hardware Support
  • Relative Ease of Use
  • Reliability - always more bugs to track down with large hardware base.
  • Documentation - Bridging the gap between first time users and experts. Community support is excellent for this though.
Well-suited for educational or technical environments. Ideally, an expert should be available to support and maintain, especially if using Ubuntu for a server. If you are wanting to get started with Linux, Ubuntu is a great starting point. But, for production implementations, make sure you are well-prepared or have expertise available.
Read Chris Putnam's full review

Ubuntu Linux Scorecard Summary

About Ubuntu Linux

Ubuntu Linux is a Linux-based operating system for personal computers, tablets and smartphones. There is also a Server version which is used on physical or virtual servers in the data center.