A Good Collaboration and Information Management Toolhttps://www.trustradius.com/collaborationAtlassian ConfluenceUnspecified8.19181012018-12-08T17:40:44.058Z
December 08, 2018
A Good Collaboration and Information Management Tool
Score 8 out of 101
Overall Satisfaction with Atlassian Confluence
We use Confluence across our organization, but only for those collaborating on projects. In our case, we are designing a new business platform that requires extensive information gathering, sharing, and planning. We use Confluence to organize that project into teams, track to do items, share information, record meeting minutes, etc.
- Collaboration. Confluence allows our entire organization to collaborate together. Instead of storing files and documents in folders, Confluence stores the files including versions, allows comments and context to be added, assigns permissions, and tracks workflows all in one place.
- Organization. Confluence is great at keeping everything organized. Assuming you set up your structure properly, it is easy to find your place in Confluence. Furthermore, the search engine allows you to search the entire instance for information.
- Notification. Confluence sends email notifications when you are referenced by someone else, assigned a duty, or any change is made to a page or group that you are subscribed to.
- Search. The search functionality of Confluence is not that great. When typing a search there are often dozens or hundreds of irrelevant pages and you can't see enough in the search results to know which page you are looking for so it can sometimes be hard to find information you are looking for.
- Over-notification. If you subscribe to an active group, you will get a notification every time something changes. This means that if someone is actively updating during a meeting (taking minutes), you could receive several notification for the same set of changes.
- I can't quantify this with dollars, but having all information in one place and having one place to collaborate on projects has definitely been more productive than without using Confluence.
Confluence works well in a system where a lot of people are collaborating. It keeps everything organized and is located in one easy to access location. It is ideal for working on projects together. Especially projects that require information sharing. Compared to email communication, Confluence holds the information from all users. This is compared to using traditional file folders and email, whereby there are access issues and not all information is shared or searchable.