November 19, 2021
Score 8 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with Deputy
Deputy is being used by all hourly employees and their managers. Selecting Deputy for our time clock solution allowed me to eliminate maintaining computer clock-in workstations and enabled more flexibility for users who work remotely. In addition, it allowed managers to log in remotely to approve time. Lastly, we were able to eliminate the volume of paper notes for time clock variances (forgotten clock-ins/outs).
- Remote access to clock in with accountability due to geo-pinning.
- Comments on time sheets eliminated paper communication on time sheet variances.
- Remote access for supervisors/managers to schedule, approve time sheets and view employee statuses.
- Ability to clock in when person is on leave.
- I have several employees who no longer show their overtime and the "breakdown" at the end of their timesheet. I will have to call support. This has happened multiple times and is a waste of my time when I have to deal with it.
- Better reporting - we started fairly soon after Deputy was available and the reporting just isn't that great. I would like to see the ability to see a report that shows clock in time for each employee vs their scheduled time. Then a + or - value to show how early or late they were. This would be helpful in following trends. These reports should be able to be pulled per employee, or all active employees. Custom date ranges should be available as well.
- Deputy saved office manager 2 hours per payroll.
- Allows for office managers and supervisors to remotely see schedules for the entire workforce online versus searching for paper calendars for each department.
- Improved accuracy because the office manager was able to transition timesheet management to the department supervisors due to it being a software application rather than a paper process. This freed up time for the office manager.
Do you think Deputy delivers good value for the price?
Are you happy with Deputy's feature set?
Did Deputy live up to sales and marketing promises?
Did implementation of Deputy go as expected?
Would you buy Deputy again?
I found it easy to get started for both managers, supervisors, and employees. The app itself is usable and simple. I feel it's the more advanced features, like reporting (and printing a nice version of that report) that are very lacking.
The implementation was simple. Once the employees were entered and invited, it was not at all difficult to get them to download the app and use it. Scheduling is fairly straightforward once you figure out how you want to set up your organization. The help videos were great when anyone got "stuck."
I feel it is great for hourly employees and small businesses. It also is great for those that have multiple locations or individuals that work remotely. This allows supervisors to confirm the employee's clock in/out was at the correct location. For those that require reporting, the application is lacking.
1 - The office manager supports the use of deputy and troubleshoots any issues and answers any questions staff have. Having 1 point person along with the support from Deputy is sufficient. Basic familiarity with computers and software is good, but set up and general use is fairly intuitive. Anything Deputy specific can be learned form their support videos.
- Manager to save time doing payroll
- Remote use for employees
- Ability to assign work to supervisors to manage department schedules and timesheets
- Hoping for improved reporting to be able to better track clock in and out times
- Would like to transition to utilizing leave functions instead of a joint paper and Deputy process
- Potentially connecting to quickbooks
The basic functionality and overall efficiency it provides is enough to renew. I still would like to see improvements in reporting and leave management, but overall it is absolutely worth it to have the program. I especially like having remote access and supervisors scheduling and approving time sheets of employees.
Evaluating Deputy and Competitors
- Product Features
- Product Usability
We were looking for a reasonable priced option that still provided the flexibility in set up, remote access, and ability to have multiple layers of administrative rights. This program enabled us to do all those things and included the accountability of geo-pinning which was important to us if we were going to office a mobile app time clock.