Overall Satisfaction with HireVue
HireVue is being used across the organization. It helps us screen candidates for job openings for software developers.
- HireVue is easy to use. It has a good, straight forward user interface.
- The coding questions, complete with unit tests are great.
- The video questions work well.
- HireVue does not work well in Safari. The UI gets all garbled.
- One of the biggest reasons to do coding questions for candidates is to see how they think. While it is nice to see their final solutions it would be nice to "replay" a coding question complete with audio from the candidate to see how they went about solving the coding question.
- Is there a way to use HireVue in real time? Lots of people use CollabEdit instead for live coding questions. It would be cool if HireVue could as well.
- HireVue helps us not waste time bringing people in for an in-person interview. So right there it is a good investment as a time saver.
- I think in some cases HireVue gets us more candidates because some people are more comfortable with it as an entry point rather than an in-person interview to begin with.
- On the negative side, I have also heard around the software developer industry that some people avoid HireVue based job openings like the plague. They feel like it won't give them the right representation that a live interview can.
CollabEdit lets you do live coding interviews. HireVue doesn't as far as I am aware. In this CollabEdit wins.
Right now I think it is good for a quick screening of candidates and not for a full real interview. It would still be advised to bring people in for an in person interview. I would ask a couple video questions to see their personality and a couple written questions to see their writing skills. Then at least 2 coding questions to see if they can at least pass those.