Overall Satisfaction with Scale Computing HC3
Scale HC3 is utilized as part of our core infrastructure and is deployed across our whole organization. It replaced a storage area network built around a NetApp storage appliance. One of the great things about Scale HC3 is that it consolidates equipment, technologies and vendors. This equates to purchasing from 1 place, getting support from 1 place, and having a product with fewer independent parts. For industries that require it, you also minimize your vendor management/assessment footprint.
- Very easy to use; does not require specialized training.
- The Disaster Recovery offering (Cloud Unity) works seamlessly.
- Great customer service.
- I would like to see continued integration with Microsoft-based networks/systems.
- I would like to see a more comprehensive interface.
- I would like to see the ability to create/publish reports and/or export system logs.
- I would like to see independent file-level restore, in addition to volume-level restore.
- I would like to see better/easier volume identification when cloning volumes and mounting to other VMs.
In our organization we are particularly sensitive and sticklers when it comes to support. Support is a driving factor for all of our decision-making. I have experienced situations where we have selected (or passed on) a vendor/product/service due to the quality of support being offered. Scale Computing offers great support. I have participated in post-support surveys and engaged with support administrators that were open to recommendations and communicated actively. The support staff is, generally, very attentive and diligent. I have not experienced any excessive wait times for support, nor any disgruntled support specialists.
We run Microsoft Active Directory off of our production Scale Cluster, while also incorporating Unix-based systems. Expanding your cluster, or cluster resources merely requires adding the appropriate node(s). The process to incorporate new nodes does not require any significant effort and takes very little time to install (as was our experience for installing our current production Scale cluster). It is awesome that Scale HC3 is hardware agnostic; you choose your hardware platform.
- We have experienced cost reduction to our Disaster Recovery solution. The prior expense of 1 year of DR can now cover multiple years using Scale HC3 with Cloud Unity.
- Our Scale solution is more cost effective than our legacy solution. The cost of 1 major component (appliance) from our legacy solution was approximately half the cost of our production Scale cluster.
There are several feasible products in the hyper-converged marketplace (aside from Scale HC3) that review well, and are capable, effective products. However, upon analyzing you will find that just about all of these products/solutions are catering primarily to large organizations with enterprise pricing. Additionally, many of these products come with a significant amount of complexity in regards to use, management, components, and in some cases, licensing models. Scale computing HC3 provides a great product, at a great price, with great customer support, single point of contact, and ease of use. It checked so many of our boxes that it was almost impossible to look away. Scale HC3 was not our initial choice, but it was ultimately our unanimous choice.
Scale HC3 is priced especially competitively for the SMB space. For the cost of a high-end alternative you can price-out an extremely robust Scale Cluster. Managing the system does not require extensive staff, nor specialized training, so this is an attractive consideration for smaller organizations, or organizations with relatively smaller tech teams.