The Wonderful World of Wistia
February 29, 2020
The Wonderful World of Wistia
Score 9 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with Wistia
Wistia is used at our organization, mainly within the marketing department, as a means of hosting public-facing marketing videos on our website. The software allows us to duplicate our videos that are also posted on YouTube, without SEO-related penalty. We embed these videos on our website and can customize their look and feel, so they are on-brand. We can give our website users a good experience because they do not have to deal with advertisements as you may have to with embedded YouTube videos. The analytics behind the software also help us understand how well our videos are performing, where there is a drop-off, etc., and we can then report out to department managers and make recommendations for further content ideas.
- Custom branding - Wistia lets you match your brand colors via HTML hex code so you can be sure it is on-brand.
- The analytics behind each video is fascinating and help you truly understand how well your videos perform if they are engaging and hold the audience's attention.
- Various types of calls to action - you can create small pop-up calls to action throughout the video, calls to action at the end, you can ask for email/user info before during or after viewing the video. It helps with the top of the funnel lead gen.
- Price point - they made some changes to their pricing model, and while I still feel it is the best value for what you get, non-profit pricing would be nice.
- Perhaps some deeper SEO capabilities
- Perhaps some deeper insight on users - referral source, etc.
- It certainly increases our lead generation numbers because we require small amounts of info for certain videos.
- It certainly increases our time on-site significantly because they are spending time on the site watching the video. Then typically, we see a lot of click-thru's from the end of a video to another page within our website.
- It has given us insight into what specific points of our video are interesting to people - it's almost another way of doing keyword or topical research.
I have used Vimeo as an alternative, and I prefer Wistia for marketing and embedding videos on my site. I also use YouTube, of course.
They are incredibly responsive and almost always available. They are very customer focused and will help you with technical challenges or recommendations of how best to use their platform. I have never had a bad experience when reaching out to their support team. They also provide a ton of content around best practices and best use of their platform, as well as video marketing in general.
Do you think Wistia delivers good value for the price?
Are you happy with Wistia's feature set?
Did Wistia live up to sales and marketing promises?
Did implementation of Wistia go as expected?
Would you buy Wistia again?
- Wistia is a perfect solution for hosting websites on your website or blog, but not so much if you want your videos to "go viral." Wistia itself is not a replacement or competitor to YouTube; hosting your videos on Wistia does not get you access to new audiences. So, if you want to maximize your reach with your videos, Wistia may not be the best solution. However, if you want a solution to integrate video into your website, Wistia is perfect.
- I also do not know that I would recommend Wistia to a small business or organization with only one or a handful of videos. I think it is more valuable if you have a good handful or many videos to embed.