Google Ad Manager Reviews

April 12, 2021
Elizabeth Ritzik | TrustRadius Reviewer
We find that Google Ad Manager has been very helpful to our organization. We use it to edit both text and image advertisements on google search engines. Some of our best ads are through Google and this Ad Manager is vital to our sales leads. The sales team mostly utilizes this tool and keeps the multiple ad posts up to date.
  • Easy to use dashboard and interface
  • Easy to create multiple ads posts
  • Efficient at collecting data from the ads gathering system
  • Real time feedback from ad data
  • Customer service can be difficult to reach
[Google Ad Manager] is perfect for trafficking ads and organizing campaigns. We use it for our sales ads and we are able to generate leads from these ads. We can easily convert these leads into sales revenue.
It is very hard to get in contact with the customer service at [Google Ad Manager]. Especially hard to get someone on the phone for support. Their customer service reps are very slow to respond.
Read Elizabeth Ritzik's full review
April 13, 2021
I use the Google Ad Manager to manage my clients' pay per click ads. I have been using this platform for many years and it has been extremely easy to use once I got the hang of it. The main ad type that I use is the call-only ad. Including the ad in Google's ad network helps funnel potential customers back to our sales funnel.
  • The Ad Manager does an excellent job of targeting potential customers. This has impressed my clients and gives them confidence they're not throwing their money away.
  • I like that I can administer multiple clients in one place
  • The hierarchical structure of the ad campaigns makes for easy setup
  • I was initially a bit overwhelmed on how to get things setup. It has a bit of a learning curve but once you get it, it is very easy to setup.
  • I find that looking at ad campaigns on my phone is a bit difficult when I need to reference something when I'm away from my computer.
  • The recommendations for keywords sometimes don't make sense and you have to set them to be ignored.
I would highly recommend Google Ad Manager as it integrates so well in Google's search ecosystem. I have some experience with Bing and others but Google Ad Manager has the best campaign and maintenance setup experience once you get over the slight learning curve.

Google Ad Manager is suited in all situations because you can create ads for any niche and for any business. I like that you can turn off ad network display to help control the cost of ads for my clients.
This is the one downfall of Google Ad Manager. If you have a specific question about something, it is very difficult to get a hold of a product expert at Google. You have to rely on the community support forums. I used to be able to get a Google product expert on the phone when I called. Not sure if they're structure or policies have changed but this could be done better.
April 05, 2021
One of the services we provide is PPC (pay per click). We utilize Google Ad Manager to run our clients' Google Ads (Search, Shopping, Display, [&] YouTube). I utilize the platform on a daily basis as well as keep up to date with the everlasting platform changes, upgrades, and betas. Google Ad Manager is our primary focus when it comes to PPC as a whole on search.
  • Hyper targeting - I love how we can target, analyze, and then hyper target [advertisements] to our audiences to be able to hyper target the audiences that convert best. [Audiences besides] Google understands them, but also demographics, locations, search terms, and more.
  • Advanced reporting - Without Google's seemingly endless ways to read and break down reports, we would not be able to best make decisions to maximize ROI.
  • Strong conversion algorithm updates - The algorithm has become impressively strong for 'maximized conversions' and 'smart' campaigns. [That's] coming from someone who hated these portions of the algorithm until about 2019 where the updates (and continued updates) have worked incredibly well for these algorithms' purpose.
  • Bumper Machine - While this is still in beta, there is a lot of room for improvement for the machine to pick proper clips. I'm sure that will come in time though.
  • Inclusion of a Home Page Button - This is a simple request, truly, but one that bothers me everyday. I have a campaign home button, but it's not accessible unless you go back to the beginning of the platform. If the 'home' button was static, I'd be able to go to my preferred view with one click instead of having to loop around, as there isn't a trustworthy 'back button' option either.
  • Display - This is a big one. I have a love/hate relationship with display campaigns and algorithms. I have seen where they can perform [strongly] but also be massive budget bleeds with little ROI. It's not very industry specific either so I'm hoping to gain more consistency and trust with the future of the display algorithm.
If you're looking to get into digital advertising, 99% of the time Google Ads is where you want to be. For the simple reason that you can target the search term (as compared to social [media] where you [can] target the type of person, behavior and interests). Google is [generally more] expensive, but if you do the proper research with the keyword planner, you can get a good idea of what your bids will cost; [you] should have a good view of [what] the campaign(s) will convert within the first month.
I could say a lot about this topic. As an agency, we get a new [representative] to talk to almost every quarter to go over select accounts and the campaigns within. Most of the time, these [educated representatives], don't provide any new feedback, or I just simply [disagree] with their approach. This is not all the time however. I have learned a lot from a rare few, [individuals] that have given me new strategies and access to betas early on. The other side of support, is the [overseas support platform]. [It] is usually not very helpful, but you can [emphasize] issues and they can research [them]. The Google Tag Implementation team is pristine though. When you need them, you need to set an appointment, which is usually 2 weeks out; they are so over-my-head intelligent, I've never had a bad experience with them and whenever I needed them for a fix, they solved it [within] the first call.
August 25, 2020
Yasser Ghallab | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Google Ad Manager to increase our reach and mobile app downloads. We use UAC, Search, and Display. We are mobile app-based, so, Universal App Campaigns are very important to us. Having our customers mainly in the Gulf, Youtube is very important as well.
  • To reach different segments
  • Objectives can be determined pre-campaign
  • Ability to report
  • Having several platforms managed in one system/platform
  • The dashboard is complex, and sometimes missing some features, like reporting on unique users.
  • Error messages are sometimes unclear, so it takes a long process to understand the reasons for failures.
  • Dynamic ads configuration isn't clear, and there is not enough documentation.
Google Ad Manager is good for targeting search campaigns (when you know the keywords your customers are searching for) and well suited for targeting customers on Youtube channels, knowing your customers' interests, and knowing the websites they are most likely to visit.
Read Yasser Ghallab's full review
April 22, 2020
Lee Wheeler | TrustRadius Reviewer
Google Ad Manager gives online advertisers the ability to "cast a wider net" and give a larger reach by managing ads across multiple ad networks.
  • Easy set up
  • Easily managed
  • Clients love the extended reach achieved
  • More robust system reports to lessen agency reporting time
  • With the variety of tools & features, it is overwhelming to understand
It's important to understand that Google Ad Manager and Google Ads are not the same! Google Ad Manager is more of a DSP for programmatic advertising.
Read Lee Wheeler's full review
April 22, 2020
We use Google Ads Manager to manage ad campaigns on Google for the ad campaigns that our company runs on Google. Google Ads Manager is only being used our marketing department not the entire organization. The problem that Google Ads Manager solves it allows us to manage our Google ads for use on Google.
  • Manages Ads
  • Single Sign On
  • Is Google
  • Confusing interface
  • Poor documentation
  • High learning curve
Some possible scenarios of when you would want to use Google Ad Manager is when you want to run ads on Google. It provides a central place of managing these ads for Google. It would be less appropraite if you wanted to run ads on another service, like say Facebook or a private website.
February 18, 2020
Avery Falkenstein | TrustRadius Reviewer
I work for the ad ops side of the business at Devada. Google Ad Manager allows us to help our sponsors target the developer community with their content. This ranges in topic from security to AI. My team executes and reports on all campaigns. With the new changes within Ad Manager some reporting can be tricky.
  • Ad management.
  • Custom reporting.
  • Reporting.
  • Changes/updates notification.
Ad Manager is a great tool to help you expose your product or content to a specific geo targets audience. You can also target by keyword etc. Ad Manager is a great place to start nurturing your audience. Campaigns that seem to not perform as well as ads are those such as live online events or webinars. Campaigns that have a high level of success with my team are whitepapers, trials, ebooks, etc
Read Avery Falkenstein's full review
December 27, 2019
Shannon McNamara | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Google Ad Manager to work with Google AdWords and publish ads. Our Marketing department uses it for advertising purposes and we will use this to promote different website pages and landing pages that we want customers to see when they are using Google search to look up terms and searches.
  • Promote ads.
  • Drive page visits.
  • Customer support isn't great.
  • There is no tutorial or walk-through process.
Google Ad Manager is great simply because they are the best software and business to advertise on. Facebook and other social media sites are good, but no place will ever be better than advertising with the best search engine on the internet. If you want to get the best bang for your buck, this is how.
Read Shannon McNamara's full review
December 17, 2019
Emily Giannakas | TrustRadius Reviewer
Google Ad Manager is currently being used for branding purposes for Revise Energy. This has especially been useful for us recently as we are in the process of rebranding and changing our logo, so now as people are Google searching us, we are able to hit them with ads that show the new name.
  • Target certain demographics.
  • Target specific areas (which is especially helpful with our company since we can only work in certain areas of MA).
  • Lag time for processing ads.
Google is so well known and recognized, to not be using it even at a fraction of its offerings and potential, it would hurt your business. Google Ad Manager takes advantage of the Google Platform and helps your company to be seen. Through their variety of features, you can find creative ways to make your company stand out. I can't really think of a reason why you wouldn't want to use it.
Read Emily Giannakas's full review
March 13, 2020
The Marketing department is the primary user of Google Ads Manager. As a non-profit staffing/recruitment agency, we use google for both search advertising and display advertising. We advertise open positions we are recruiting for, hiring events and job fairs, and general branding strategy for our agency. The advertising mostly supports our talent acquisition team as a means of sourcing candidates for jobs.
  • The obvious is the data - Google Ads Manager gives me essential and even critical data about which jobs and industries are hot right now and what is driving the most response.
  • Google Ad Manager gives us more control over the search engine results page as we get more visibility and real estate on our branded search terms and job/industry-specific search terms.
  • Google Ad Manager gives us the chance to compete with major national players in job recruitment, Monster, Indeed, LinkedIn, etc.
  • One of the major areas that Google could improve is in budget management - Google makes it extremely easy to spend money that may not even be relevant.
  • Google Ads Manager could improve it's notification system when ads are not optimized or they have suggestions of how to improve ad performance.
  • Google Ad Manager could improve its speed to approving search or display ads, or offering feedback on rejected ads. Often, I have no idea why an ad was rejected or what policy it supposedly violated.
Google Ads Manager is great if you need major visibility on a large ad network rather than targeting one specific website, app or platform. Let's be real here if you have any business that is done online (sell products, generate leads, etc) you pretty much have to be on Google. I've tried other advertising solutions including competitor search engines, sponsored content solutions, social media advertising, and none really compare to the traffic you can get that is keyword-driven, meaning a user is actually demonstrating interest in whatever you sell or offer.
March 23, 2020
Google Ad Manager is used by our firm's content and channel planning teams as a key function of their everyday work in highlighting and managing that work that our creative team is doing on behalf of our clients. We use the Manager to execute portions of our paid media campaigns and use the Manager for reporting metrics as well.
  • High functionality and user friendly.
  • Great on the back end to develop reports.
  • Tracks many key metrics important to clients.
  • Cross-team functionality would provide greater access.
If you are recommending that your client utilize Google for paid media, or if your client is excited about the possibility then you have to use Google Ad Manager. The good news is that Google Ad Manager makes advertising with Google relatively seamless and provides great reporting data at the end of campaign or whenever you need to pull it.
March 11, 2020
Our company uses Google Ad Manager to sell and monetize digital advertising on our site to outside clients. It allows us to control the size of the ad units, creative assets, impression goals, and ad placements to support our clients' KPIs. Additionally, we use Google Ad Manager to provide clients with a reliable performance metrics to help with campaign management and optimizations.
  • Real-time and accurate performance metrics (impressions and CTRs)
  • Targeting capabilities
  • Control over creative assets and ad unit sizes
  • Complex product, big learning curve for beginners
Google Ad Manager is used by our Ad-ops team on a daily basis to create and manage our digital campaigns for ads that run on our site and direct users to a client's website in order to generate traffic and sales.
December 03, 2019
Google Ad Manager is being used by my organization in a variety of ways. Although we do not use it internally for advertising purposes, we use and implement this product for many of our clients within our agency. We use this as a paid media platform to promote, engage and generate more leads and contacts for companies and organizations.
  • Manage multiple ads.
  • Reporting capabilities.
  • Integratable with Google products.
  • Integrates well with marketing platforms.
  • Targeting.
  • Constant changes.
  • More help videos.
  • Better customer service line.
Google Ad Manager is very appropriate for many business-to-business organizations along with organizations that support business-to-consumer transactions. It allows you to deploy and manage both text and display ads on the Google network. It allows you to customize and report on all of these features.
December 04, 2019
Google Ads is used to create ads for Google searches to direct users to our business website in order to generate traffic and sales.
  • If you are new to the platform, they will accommodate you by guiding you on how to create a basic ad easily.
  • You can explore keyword search volumes and add it to your campaigns directly from within the platform.
  • You can integrate Google Tag Manager so that you can define custom conversions and track it easily while ads are running.
  • There is enough data available to view how well your ads are performing.
  • I don't have any complaints. It's a complex product and they are doing a good job of accommodating all levels of users.
I have found that Google Ads is invaluable for attracting a specific target market to your website which may form a good audience basis for continuing advertising on Facebook. This is a good solution for a new business that wants to fast-track its Facebook advertising. You will have to carefully evaluate whether Google Ads is a good solution for your business to use over the long term. It can get pricey to pay per click, especially if there is a lot of competition.
Nathan Phillips | TrustRadius Reviewer
We support hundreds of car dealerships around the country with the best platform online to get the right ads visible to hand-raisers who genuinely are interested in our client's products. Paid search, display retargeting ads and YouTube video pre-roll are all rolled nicely together into Google Ad Manager for easy, precise and time-saving mass adjustments to campaigns.
Ad Manager saves our teams large amounts of valuable time by letting them make adjustments to whole accounts, large groups of campaigns and keywords at once, rather than having to individually adjust each at a tedious pace.
  • Fast adjustments to campaigns.
  • Fast adjustments to geographies/targeting and copying those changes across multiple accounts.
  • Quickly see errors/denied ads in one easy interface.
  • Sometimes it can bog down and crash. This is rare, but it is processing a lot of steps/changes all at once and it's not expected to be perfect.
  • Being able to quickly filter by campaign types would be nice (PPC/Display/Video Pre-roll). Our fix is to run these campaigns in totally separate accounts, so there is no overlapping in reporting/etc. This helps with seeing stats clearly without having to filter constantly.
  • It could be visually prettier.
If you make big changes on a regular basis or need to make changes across multiple accounts quickly, then Google Ad Manager is for you.
Read Nathan Phillips's full review
October 03, 2019
Cassidy Ebert | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use it to track how our ads are performing on different websites and platforms. It has really helped us condense our reporting and information, we can now use just this one program rather than different programs to track clicks, demographics, opens, etc. It saved us money by allowing us to condense into one program.
  • Condenses Information
  • Tracks clicks and opens
  • Gives demographic info
  • A little tricky to use at first. Could have better training options
  • Would love for even more information to be provided
  • Better mobile version
Well suited for any office using Google programs, but not as great for Mac/Apple users. Also great for desktop versions but not if you need to use the app or mobile version. Great for companies on a budget and smaller companies as well. May not be as suited for huge major companies with a lot of campaigns running at the same time.
Read Cassidy Ebert's full review
Ariel Lam | TrustRadius Reviewer
Google Ad Manager is currently being used by my organization to help manage our paid advertisements through Google. It is currently being used by marketing, which we manage for the whole firm. The business problem it addresses is that it helps us reach our target market and gives us great visibility to our potential clients.
  • Track and sets a cap for budgets.
  • It allows us to customize what and where to advertise.
  • Although most ads are reviewed within 1 business day, it would be useful if it was quicker.
  • It would be great if Google could recommend key words to use.
Google Ad Manager is well suited for when we are running a campaign for a certain product or service and we want to drive traffic to our landing page. Google Ad Manager does a great job helping us manage the way we spend our money on our advertising and marketing efforts. It also provides us with useful information allowing us to track the performance of our ads.
Read Ariel Lam's full review
Matthew Mariner | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Google Ad Manager as a tool in our marketing campaigns for the company when we are running ads to drive traffic to various landing pages optimized for conversions or when we drive traffic to our main website. GAM is a good overview high-level snapshot of where we stand in our campaigns.
  • GAM makes the data analyzation process seamless, they offer many different display types/charts and even allow us to run algorithms/machine learning on the data.
  • GAM is constantly updated and has a strong release schedule for bugfixes, maintenance, and new features. Google seems to really care about this project.
  • The reporting functionality is robust, allowing multiple query types that are even friendly to non-developers.
  • Speed - I know its a website that's doing lots of data calculations, but there has to be a way to make this better. Even using enterprise internet solutions I have had a decent amount of lag from page inception to data displaying.
  • API - When I wanted to pull a report to display on a backend system for a web application, the API was a bit complicated for doing a simple data extraction REST API pull.
  • User Management - This has been a difficult aspect/pain point for us when we utilize sub-contractors or take on different clientele. Having different user permissions (or explaining how to implement it easily) would be a huge plus for us going forward.
If you are already utilizing the Google Ecosystem for your products/company, then this solution just makes sense. Google allows many of their apps to talk with each other, and if you don't mind making a deal with the devil, this solution would be your best bet for PPC/SEM. Lastly, though my company is by no means at scale, I have been told by many people that GAM works very well at scale when driving towards the enterprise level.
Read Matthew Mariner's full review
September 25, 2019
Sarah Bandy | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Google Ad Manager to help boost our search potential on Google and its affiliated sites. It's used primarily by the executive director and Marketing Branch of our Board of Directors in gauging how our Google searchability is tracking alongside our Google Ads and addresses the issue of making sure we are being seen.
  • Google Ad Manager is great at having a snapshot of where you stand.
  • It's easy to make multiple ad postings.
  • Google is the most-used search engine so it's useful to engage your community.
  • Google Ad Manager has absolutely abysmal customer service. It's non-existent.
  • If you run into an issue there is no way to get assistance.
  • The layout is occasionally clumsy to navigate.
Google Ad Manager is great for managing your Google account if you can get into it. Since we are a nonprofit, there are some great incentives and credits possible, but it's locked up like Fort Knox. There are many steps of authentication, and if, like us, you have had multiple people associated with the account, forget it.
Read Sarah Bandy's full review
August 29, 2019
Blake Baron | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use it in partnership with our agency in managing our suite of ads that lead potential customers to our website. Our most effective use is in retargeting ads that deliver to customers who have abandoned the shopping cart process. We find the most effective ROI via this method for ad spend.
  • Bid suggestions via machine learning: they save us a lot of time running analysis.
  • Dashboards allow for effective turnkey presentations when reporting results to management.
  • Google Ad Manager integrates with Analytics and provides a solution with easy setup.
  • Only really suitable for business-class internet connections. Good luck loading the data on your phone without 80+ Mbps down.
  • Could have a more robust API: we've had to make a lot of, "hackey" in house solutions to pull the data into our marketing automation software.
It's a Google product, so it's inherently easy to use and intuitive from a functionality standpoint. You can be up and running in no time if you've used literally any other type of software ever. Web-based software allows you to access it from anywhere (albeit slowly, depending on your connection).
Read Blake Baron's full review
October 04, 2019
We used Google Ad Manager in our company to sell ad space on our website to different clients. It allowed us to monetize high traffic areas of our webpages and control exactly what ads showed up on our website. We were able to control the size of the ad units, where the ads would show up and the creatives we wanted to use for the ad. Being able to provide clients with a reliable impression and click metrics provided a different level of integrity to our product offerings.
  • Flexible ad units.
  • Control over creatives being displayed on your website.
  • Metrics for impressions and CTRs.
  • Targeting by user demographics and webpage.
  • Not the easiest user experience for non-technical users.
  • Needs a bit of trial and error to figure out the best fit.
  • Ads take quite a bit of time to propagate to production.
It's great if you are budget conscious and require a powerful and flexible technology to support your advertising needs. If your website gets a lot of impressions, Google Ad Manager is an amazing tool that can help you monetize ad space and providing custom quotes to clients. The degree of control and flexibility that this affords you is boundless. On the flip side, like with most ads, you will not be able to control whether or not your ads show up when ad blockers are on for your users. It'd be a nifty addition if there was a way to show these ads to users.
October 04, 2019
Google Ad Manager is being used by the marketing team, specifically the performance marketing guys at our office. They use this to set up their marketing ads, be it an app install, web ads, retargeting, SEM etc. They use it for end to end, ad ideation, segmentation, targeting, communication, management.
  • User segmentatation - new, old, prospecting/retargeting etc.
  • User targeting - day-parting, demographics, interests etc.
  • Campaign management
  • Ad formats and tweaking for experimentation
  • It's a little complex to understand for beginners
  • It doesn't allow you to run various ad platforms on a single platform
  • Its data has discrepancies at times even against the Google analytics or Playstore data
Well suited for helping you move your paid marketing in house, as then you should be able to manage your campaigns end to end. It is not suited if you don't have a Google ads expert in house as it can take a few weeks for one to get trained on this and start setting up ads.
October 03, 2019
Google Ad Manager is being used by our social media team and by our PPC team. Google Ads allows us to manage our ads across all of our marketing channels. It solves the problem of having to use multiple programs to accomplish the same exact goal. It allows us to easily set up and report on our current ad campaigns.
  • The Doubleclick manager is very intuitive and allows anyone without extensive experience to jump in and start managing ads.
  • My favorite feature is it allows you to manage all of your ads in one place.
  • The training and user forum knowledge is top-notch. I can always find the answer to any questions I have.
  • Sometimes the tags are not reliable in certain browsers such as Microsoft Edge.
  • Sometimes the server gets bogged down making everything slow and clunky.
  • Not the most intuitive software. Luckily, there is a big user group to help you with problems.
Goolge Ad Manager is great when you need a program that runs all of your ad campaigns from one place. No more using 3-4 programs to run your ads. Google Ad Manager might not be a good fit if you are not running a lot of ads or are not running a lot of ads on multiple platforms.
October 02, 2019
Google Ad Manager is used by one specific department within our entire organization.
  • Targeting.
  • Reporting.
  • Ease of use.
  • Conversions.
  • Notifications/alerts.
  • Certain targeting not available.
Google Ad Manager is a great tool for publishers to be able to manage their own direct-sold inventory + programmatic inventory. Google Ad Manager could improve in the sense that with the cascade/waterfall there are some hiccups with how things are served/serving properly. Sponsorships should always outweigh anything, however, if the sponsorship is only set to 25% SOV, then it isn't necessarily 25% SOV when there are other things competing.
August 20, 2019
Google Ad Manager is being used by my whole organization. All the Media and Communication Planners in all departments and brands use it. We use Google Ads Manager to manage and handle all the information and reports for our clients. We use this to analyze and extract data and then we present it to our brands for future campaigns and advertisements. We also use it as a report to check on the status and how well our brands and ads are making overall. We use it almost every day!
  • It extracts data that can help in future plans and campaigns of the brands. It tells us where we can improve.
  • It forecasts data to show the right match and type of ads for our brands and campaigns. It's very customized and perfect for either big or small brands.
  • There are a lot of options to choose from. It really helps in choosing the right platform and way to serve the ads for the campaigns.
  • I think Google Ads Manager can improve on its interface. Needs easier options so brands won't have a hard time.
  • Needs to extract better reports. The reports are sometimes confusing and hard to read, despite being very informative.
  • Needs simpler data.
Google Ads Manager is both for small brands and big brands. They really help in serving out your ads in the best way possible. It's also very easy to manage all the data and reports despite the information given. It's so easy to manage and prepare the ads for all our brands and campaigns. Best platform ever!

Data Transfer (22)
DSP integration (18)
Ad campaign creation (31)
Ad deployment (31)
Display advertising (30)
Ad display and retargeting segmentation (29)
Sequence targeting (21)
Ad dashboards (29)
Ad performance reports (31)
Ad conversion tracking (30)
Ad attribution reporting (27)
Cross-channel ad management (26)
Ad forecasting and optimization (27)

What is Google Ad Manager?

Google Ad Manager is a platform for publishers that combines the former DoubleClick for Publishers and DoubleClick Ad Exchange products.

Google Ad Manager Technical Details