Likelihood to Recommend
It's really great if you have a small or medium-sized business like ours. You can choose the number of computers you want to back up and pay per computer. And since it's pretty easy to set up and deploy, you don't need a dedicated IT guy to do it for you. On the other hand, if most of your data is already in the cloud (like Google Docs or Google Sheets) and you don't have any other critical data then you can get by without it.
- Installation was pretty straight forward Carbonite Tech was a big help in rolling out the install.
- Secure and encrypted backups sent to the cloud.
- Tech support is very good and they are willing to assist with your issues you may have big or small.
- Restoring takes forever. I have only had to recover a back up once but it took a long while to download it all back.
- Subscription seems to force annual packages on you. You are locked in for a year no matter what happens. As far as I can tell there was no monthly/pay as you go set up.
- It had issues updating a few times. That is when we had to contact support and it took a while to resolve (even though their support is terrific).
Account Manager in SalesHospital & Health Care Company, 10,001+ employees
Likelihood to Renew
Carbonite Endpoint 1.0
Based on 1 answer
I found their alerting to be very poor. I missed several days of backups without knowledge of this, until I signed into the portal. I would get daily emails reporting backups were in progress or done, but nothing indicating that a backup had been stuck or paused for 3 days. For this reason alone, I did not renew.
Carbonite Endpoint 8.8
Based on 4 answers
This rating is solely based on the ease of use of the product. As I've not had to engage in custom policy writing, my experiences have been limited to the management console, which has been easy to understand and has not necessitated a call to support. I'd be interested in hearing from their solutions experts on how they mitigate the privacy concerns around device tracking, however.
Engineer in Research & DevelopmentPharmaceuticals Company, 5001-10,000 employees
We have also used Mozy Pro and Dropbox. They are all pretty similar in functionality/features of backing up data (not system state or databases as I don't think any of the 3 are well suited for that). To me, it comes down to personal preference and choosing a product that is universal for multiple users, for ease of management.
Director in Information TechnologyLegal Services Company, 11-50 employees
Return on Investment
- The overall ROI with Carbonite is effective for us because of the low cost compared to more complicated, bloated backup platforms.
- Losing critical data on an executive computer because the user chose to store it locally is not an option. Carbonite provides that sense of security.
Executive in CorporateConsumer Goods Company, 1-10 employees
Premium Consulting/Integration Services—
Entry-level set up fee?