Likelihood to Recommend
Emburse Abacus is well suited for mid-market organizations that are open to - or embrace - the concept of real-time processing of expense transactions. Emburse Abacus takes a radically different approach from other platforms that rely on modeling paper-based monthly (or periodic) expense reports containing multiple expenses submitted simultaneously. Emburse Abacus allows each transaction to be very rapidly processed individually so that approving managers and accounting professionals are able to perform review tasks and identify potential problems throughout the entire month, relieving the massive monthly influx of large numbers of expense reports simultaneously.
Expensify is perfect for a small team or a small business. It's affordable (I believe there is even a free version) and it is very easy to submit reports and to teach others how to submit reports. For a larger business, a one-stop shop for travel and expenses might be a better option. Larger companies might want more analytics as well, although Expensify does allow you to run reports.
- User-Friendly Interface: Reviews from our employees (ages ranging from 20s-70s) are all positive in regards to the ease of submitting an expense and getting reimbursement on Abacus
- Timely Reimbursement: After final approval, money hits user accounts within 2 days
- Approval routing: ability to set up multi-tier complex approval routes
- Syncs with Sage Intacct: pushes entries on a day to day basis in to Intacct and it hits our GL accordingly
- Abacus is competitively priced compared to the competition
- Abacus utilizes "by expense" management. Getting rid of expense reports and batch reports (they do have an option where you can batch if need be)
Employee in Finance and AccountingMedical Devices Company, 11-50 employees
- Ease of use: it's easy to learn Expensify, the layout and navigation are easy to follow.
- Reminders: you can set reminders for yourself to submit reports daily, weekly or monthly.
- Uploading receipts: you can scan receipts on your phone or take pictures and attach.
- When you upload a receipt to abacus it would be great to port in the information from the receipt to the text fields.
- It would be good to have a more automated way for Abacus to integrate in with other payroll systems.
- It would be nice to have more levels of permissions, e.g. manager level, administer level and employee level.
- The SmartScan feature sometimes has typos. I don't know enough about the technology to even know if this is something that could be better.
- The user experience is a little bit clunky when SmartScan doesn't work and you have to do things manually. Not sure a way around this, though.
Likelihood to Renew
No answers yet
No answers on this topic
Based on 8 answers
We like using the tool and we receive positive feedback from employees and management who use the tool. It saves time and helps us concentrate on the value adding activities so we are very likely to keep using Expensify in the future
No answers yet
No answers on this topic
Based on 1 answer
Mobile works great, but let's be honest. It's just a photograph. Their OCR and human turk technology works great to scan that photo and enter the proper information. The web interface is decent and allows you to work with single expenses in great detail. What's missing is the ability to mass update expenses, and this sometimes hurts, especially if you're a heavy user of the system.
Engineer in EngineeringFinancial Services Company, 11-50 employees
Emburse Abacus 9.1
Based on 18 answers
I have never had to contact Abacus support and have not heard stories from any of my colleagues having to do so either. Our accounting department stresses the ease of Abacus and has not voiced any concerns with the software or the product support team or the product support process.
Strategist in OtherPublic Relations & Communications Company, 51-200 employees
Based on 84 answers
Our rep has been amazing. He has built custom reports for us that have been very time consuming and difficult. Our reps are also currently looking into new submission solutions for us that we are excited about. They came up with this and recommended it on their own without me complaining about an issue. They are about our success and are very excited about the product they offer.
I have never used anything like Abacus but I can't imagine a product that offers more value than this does. It allows you to categorize the expense, which will show where we are spending the most money as a company. It keeps a great record of past expenses and the status (if one was not approved, you will see where it says "denied", by whom, and there will usually be a reason provided so that you know how to correct it).
Employee in Customer ServiceTelecommunications Company, 501-1000 employees
I am unaware of any competitors, but I am VERY happy with Expensify. At this point, we are not interested in shopping for any other alternatives. The only case that we have made for switching away from Expensify would be switching to an ERP (Sage Intacct) which is capable of handling expense statement coordination on its own. That said, it is unfair to compare Expensify to Sage Intacct. Furthermore, I am not sure that Sage Intacct's Expensify-like module is better than Expensify.
Analyst in Finance and AccountingMedical Practice Company, 51-200 employees
Return on Investment
- It is giving reliable services.
- I am happy with its user-friendly services. Since I have issued the virtual and physical cards, I am getting real-time, and end-to-end control over my employee expenses. They can now easily go to visits and this has built their trust too. Further through receipts and expense details, I can easily control the pre-set budgets and easily configure rules to control spending.
- I will also like to praise their customer care team they are very helpful and always ready to assist.
- Time spent by the AP processors on expense reports has been reduced from eight hours per week to two hours per week.
- Errors in expense reports that make it all the way to the disbursement stage have been reduced from five per months to zero.
Former Employee in Finance and AccountingFurniture Company, 51-200 employees
Emburse AbacusSee All (6) Emburse Abacus Screenshots
Premium Consulting/Integration Services
Entry-level set up fee?
Emburse Abacus Editions & Modules
- per active user/per month
Additional Pricing Details—
Premium Consulting/Integration Services—
Entry-level set up fee?
Expensify Editions & Modules
- Per Month (Free for 25 SmartScans per Month)
- Per User Per Month with Expensify Card with Pay-Per-Use Price of $10 per User per Month
- Per User Per Month with Expensify Card with Pay-Per-Use Price of $18 per User per Month