Expensify Reviews

Chloe Sayers | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 18, 2020

Expensify Makes Expenses Easy

It is being used across the whole organization to manage employee expenses and reimbursements. It solves the problem of expense approval workflow as well as the need for receipts to ensure proper accounting and bookkeeping. It also makes it easier to categorize and track expenses made on company credit cards.
  • Expense categorization
  • Integration with QuickBooks
  • Report labelling
  • Automatic reminders for submissions/approvals
In general, it works really well for expense tracking, categorization, and approval to allow employees to get reimbursed quickly while maintaining accurate accounting and coding. It's not super user-friendly though and there aren't a lot of in-app tips that are customizable to ensure end users are using the platform correctly.
I haven't had to use the support much for Expensify, so I don't have a lot of additional context here.
Read Chloe Sayers's full review
Katy Martin | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 29, 2020

Solid Tool for Expense Management

Our organization uses Expensify to track, manage, and approve expenses. I personally use it on my mobile app and on my computer. It's easy to use. It helps everyone stay informed about expenses and cascades the approval process through the necessary managers. It makes it convenient to track expenses on the go, including work trips.
  • Receipt scanning
  • Approval process
  • Catching duplicate receipts
  • Allowing for a visual of spend vs. budget
I highly recommend this tool for medium to large companies who need to manage and track expenses, and/or distribute reimbursements. I don't know if it'd be necessary for a small startup, though I've used it while running my own LLC. I would say it is most advantageous for people who have a few layers of management who would be a part of the review process.
Read Katy Martin's full review
Scott Regan | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 23, 2020

Expensify is a time and money saver

As a consultant, I travel a great deal. I used to manage receipts the old-school way: stuff them into my pockets and hope I don't lose any. With Expensify, receipts get uploaded on the fly, get tagged to a specific expense report, and are ready to be submitted with my invoices when I need them.
  • Smart scanning of receipts is a wonderful tool that saves me keystroking time.
  • The ability to create mileage receipts using the maps feature makes it unnecessary to track odometer readings.
  • Creating the expense rules can be a little clunky and difficult.
  • Some things are difficult to find. For instance, when I needed to change the mileage rate, I had to search the knowledgebase for how to do this.
Expensify is perfect for a business traveler who needs to track expenses by the client for either client payment or IRS reporting. With receipts captured and stored, it makes reporting very, very easy. The ability to integrate with Quickbooks is also a time-saver and reduces the need to double enter expenses in two different applications.
Although I give Expensify a 10 for support, I have never needed to contact the support team. Whenever I have had an issue, I have solved it on my own through Expensify's extensive knowledgebase. The app is very simple to use, so support has never been required in the 10+ years I have used the software.
Read Scott Regan's full review
Andy Abramson | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 17, 2020

The good, and not so good about Expensify

Expensify is being used company-wide and is used to streamline expense reporting and report submission both for internal costs that staff incurs for non-billable charges and for expenses that are incurred by staff that are billable back to clients. By using Expensify we can properly attribute the expenses to clients (billable) or to internal expenses client projects (non-billable).
  • Collects data from credit cards.
  • Collects data from bank statements.
  • Multiple-project or client billing and tracking is more work than it should be.
  • Help and support is a bit cloudy and not easy to use.
Expensify is well suited for enforcing travel policies and travel budget guidelines. The process for approval is easy. It's not well suited for SOHO businesses where rules are less restrictive and the need for flexibility is there. In the collection of expenses Expensify excels, but in preparing reports that cross personal reimbursement, business non-billable, and client billable it requires more time and work than it needs to.
The time it takes to get a response is sometimes overnight. For those who work on expenses once a week to have to wait to get a response or live support is not really helpful and actually creates extra work.
Read Andy Abramson's full review
Nick Walters | TrustRadius Reviewer

Expensify Makes Travel Easier

We are all using it because it's so easy to use. The mobile-friendliness is the key component. Most of us who do sales HATE keeping up with expenses, and the ability to use the scanning/picture functions are two of the things we like best. If we are on a business lunch, we can take the full receipt and have it scanned and be done.
  • Converting pictures of restaurant receipts is a big plus.
  • I can tag different accounts and clients very easily.
  • I don't see the Concierege function having much use for what I do.
When I add the tip to a restaurant bill I can use the picture function to "back up" what I submit on an expense report. I hate keeping all those receipts, but I really hate having to divert my attention from a client to add my tip to my copy. It sounds trivial, but if we are having a good conversation I don't want to stop what we are talking about (usually me selling some idea!) and have to re-add my tip to my receipt.
They give a good list of FAQs that have answered all my questions.
Read Nick Walters's full review
Kelsie Hamilton | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 15, 2020

You can't go wrong with Expensify!

Our company doesn't have company credit cards, so any expenses are paid by the employee's personal credit card (although many of us purchase a card we only use for work) and then are reimbursed by the company through Expensify. The whole organization uses it. However, as an organization where a few members travel internationally for work, those traveling members use it pretty consistently and for pretty significant amounts. Expensify addresses the problem of staff getting reimbursed in a quick and efficient way (and doesn't require saving a bunch of physical receipts), and our accountant is satisfied with the legal and financial side of it as well.
  • Link to credit card.
  • Easy tagging for company.
  • Email to Expensify can create duplicates.
  • Some credit cards aren't easily linked.
Expensify is pretty much well suited for any company where staff members need to get reimbursed. However, there is a cost associated with the number of users. So, if your organization doesn't really need the reimbursement feature or it happens infrequently, this isn't really the best fit. I'm using Expensify to comp my expenses every other month or so, so it's been extremely helpful for myself and for our financial team.
I don't tend to need support very often, which I guess is a good thing. The only thing that has been a bit frustrating is my US Bank credit card could never link to the Expensify account. That issue, though, was between Expensify and US Bank, so it was something they needed to work out. Ultimately, I stopped using that card entirely because it wasn't working.
Read Kelsie Hamilton's full review
Ryan Ninness | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 14, 2020

Make your life easy and your users happy

We use Expensify across our entire organization for expense management, expense reporting, and employee repayment. We also have an interface with American Express that brings in all charges to each individual's expense report for company card purchases. This helps out with monthly expense reports for every employee in our organization.
  • Expensify is easy to use.
  • There are very few technical issues.
  • It has some quirks with reading receipts.
  • The phone app sometimes loses receipts.
Expensify is a great product. It performs great, is easy to use, and we get very few complaints from both users and accounting folks who manage the reports on the backside. It has some great interfaces, good drag and drop for PC users, and an app for those that live on their phones.
It is great because the product is solid to begin with. We rarely have to interact with support, and when we do it is quick and easy. Most of the issues can be resolved by poking around or manually doing something. Most of the time it is flawless, so even manual workarounds are limited.
Read Ryan Ninness's full review
Ellie Kerley | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 14, 2020

Saves time and aids productivity!

Our entire organization uses Expensify to streamline our expense reports. We are all remote across the west coast and before Expensify, all expense reports were done in excel and e-mailed to the admin. Receipts had to then be mailed or scanned and e-mailed. This makes expense reports so much cleaner and allows everyone to expense what they need as they go or after each trip instead of at the end of each month. Some of our guys would do 3 months at a time because it was such a pain to fill out their reports. Now, they are able to do it as they go. Saves so much time!
  • User-friendly.
  • Nice design.
  • Receipt scanner sometimes struggles.
  • More categories for expenses.
As a fully remote team, Expensify is a lifesaver. None of our sales team works in the same office and our CFO also manages a territory. Expensify cuts down on his admin time processing expense reports and makes our reimbursement time much quicker. We were referred to Expensify by a much larger corporation and while it takes them longer to process reports because of their size, it still works well for them too. Expensify works for any size company and saves so much time for your admins!
We have not needed to use Expensify support. We have had no problems with the app that I have been made aware of. Everything set up easily and we have not had any technical issues that needed addressing. Everything is clean and clear and easy to figure out for any level of technical ability.
Read Ellie Kerley's full review
Taylor Martino | TrustRadius Reviewer

Expensify Review

Expensify is used for any business-related purchase that an individual makes and needs to be reimbursed for by the company. Sales use it the most, as we book our own travel to meet with customers, attend conferences, etc. and it is an easy way to record all of our expenses in an easy manner.
  • Scans receipts.
  • Creates full reports for related expenses.
  • Too many options for categories of the expense.
  • Does not convert currencies perfectly.
Expensify is a great tool for employees to use to accurately record their expenses and to know when they will be reimbursed. It is easy to keep track of your total purchases and projected return. I also like the constant updates I get as my expense report gets approved. I think it is less appropriate for constant/recurring expenses, such as bills. I think it's better for trips/clinics /one time purchases with different amounts to be approved instead of recurring spending.
I have not used Expensify support before as I have not needed it, it's very a straightforward product.
Read Taylor Martino's full review
Dustin McBride | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 10, 2020

If Expensify were a person you would ask it to marry you

Expensify was used by my entire company, starting at the time we had 30 employees up until the time we were acquired.

When we had just over 100 employees, we need a platform that was easy to set up, and our employees would quickly adopt that. It was used across the entire org for mainly travels expense reports. It was also used for general expenses not related to travel.
  • Links up to a credit card and automatically creates receipts.
  • Let's you get reimbursed for miles using a maps plugin where you can enter a starting point and final destination.
  • If you chose to scan receipts the it could take a long time for them to registers.
  • It didn't categorize receipts consistently on it's own.
Having traveled for business and created expense reports for over 15 years, I can say that Expensify was great for field sales reps. The ability to link it to your credit card and auto-magically see the reports create themselves was incredible. For me, it was all about spending as little time as possible with maximum accuracy.
I didn't ever need support because it was so easy to use.
Read Dustin McBride's full review
Chase Palmer, CISSP | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 09, 2020

Perfect Tool for Employee Reimbursements

We use Expensify to streamline the employee reimbursement process and to keep budgets in check. In the past, reimbursements would generally involve filling out paperwork and attaching physical receipts to those reports and then it would take weeks to get all the necessary managers to sign off on it. Expensify not only eliminated all paperwork, but it also gets approvals done quickly.
  • The interface is pretty simple and follows general trends with SaaS applications.
  • Automated workflows get approval requests in front of the necessary people quickly. This also keeps the requested up-to-date on the status of a reimbursement.
  • Understanding the true workflow between uploading a receipt and submitting a report can be a bit confusing.
  • The automated receipt processing doesn't always work. Many requests end up having to be manually entered.
Growing companies (around 300 employees) who end up processing reimbursements several times per day would probably start seeing the ROI of Expensify. Smaller companies or companies that don't deal with a lot of employee reimbursements most likely won't benefit from Expensify. Not sure how well a large enterprise company would benefit from Expensify.
I was involved with getting Expensify set up to work with our single sign-on service and had to work with the customer support team to get that setup. The team was quick to respond and was able to get us up and running with SSO within a few days, wherewith with other applications, it would take us a couple of weeks of back and forth to get things set up.
Read Chase Palmer, CISSP's full review
Tegan Jenner | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 09, 2020

Expensify is worth every penny

We use Expensify for all of our internal expenses. We buy a lot of props with allotted client budgets to create our digital ad content. All of these items need to be tracked and allocated to separate client budgets. We also track all of our travel costs here for reimbursement.
  • Simple, intuitive UI design (even with limited training, I was able to start using it immediately).
  • Customization with lots of options on how to track your expenses and how you want to provide receipts/documentation.
  • Integration with banking systems to improve expense tracking.
I only have good things to say about Expensify. It's really simple and intuitive to use. I am no the most tech-savvy individual, so if a user-interface is cumbersome or not intuitive I will struggle with it. But with Expensify, I was able to start using the product with little to no training. Expensify is perfect for our company's needs where we have lots of people buying lots of items & travel expenses that need to be tracked against different contracts and categorized against different parts of client budgets. When you classify an expense, there is a lot of customization available to help give finely granular classifications.
They have a chat system available for help, which is convenient. But honestly, I have not needed to seek out customer support because we haven't run into issues with the software.
Read Tegan Jenner's full review
Jay Gardner | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 07, 2020

Easy and simple expense reimbursement

We use Expensify to track and handle reimbursements for all our employees, across all teams. We also use it for candidate reimbursement when we have candidates travel for on-site interviews. It streamlines the expense process and really cuts down on the time needed to process it all, so people aren't photocopying receipts or filling out spreadsheets.
  • Easy to invite new users.
  • Easy workflow for approvals.
  • Reporting could be more comprehensive, I have a hard time pulling very specific reports when I'm trying to track costs.
It's great for expense management. I have had very few complaints, and even salespeople traveling all over the place find it easy to use. it integrates with our ATS Greenhouse which makes it easier to manage candidate reimbursements as well, and then the candidate has a better experience with us, which is also important.
They have a pretty thorough knowledge base, and I appreciate that they have chat on their website—usually, if I have a question it's kind of urgent and I don't like having to wait for an email. They always reply, though sometimes it takes a bit longer than I would like.
Read Jay Gardner's full review
Kurt Martin | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 07, 2020

Expensify will help your corporation save money and optimize expense reporting processes

Expensify is the approved corporate application for all expenses. It is used by everyone within the organization that incurs business expenses. It solves many problems through automation and integration with finance systems. It also decreases "lost receipt" issues and makes submitting monthly expense reports much more expeditious.

I travel quite a bit. Being able to snap a picture every time I get a receipt while traveling has personally been a godsend for me. I also set up inbox rules for all recurring email invoices from third-party vendors that automatically forwards the receipts to Expensify. These two features alone save me hours of work each month.
  • Taking photos each time you incur a receipt vastly minimizes lost receipts.
  • Sending monthly recurring charge receipts saves time each month.
  • The ability to permanently delete old or erroneous receipts. I can only mark as deleted, but they are still in the system marked as deleted.
I don't like this question, because most people don't go around recommending this or that to anyone unless someone is specifically asking about it. I think a better way to phrase the question would be, "If someone asked you about tools to help manage expenses, how likely are you to tell people about Expensify?" So for this reason, I give it a 9, because I most certainly would tell someone if they asked me or we were talking about the finer details of expense reports.
I have not had to use Expensify support. It is easy-to-use and have had no real problems with it that would require support. For this reason, I don't feel comfortable providing a rating above 7 for Expensify's support team, capabilities or processes. I have spoken with our corporate admin for Expensify, and he said their support is fantastic.
Read Kurt Martin's full review
Wing Lee, CPA, MST | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 17, 2020

A great tool for keeping track of business receipts!

Expensify is being used across the organization as a way to track business expenses. Generally, capturing business expenses is a drawn-out, after-thought process, but Expensify is a user-friendly, mobile-app friendly tool that allows us to scan receipts as well as integrating with other 3rd party apps (Uber, Lyft) and corporate card reconciliation. It allows us to track business expenses easily so that we can focus on other things that drive the business.
  • It provides smart scanning of receipts, and autofills line items from receipts
  • Receipt integration with 3rd-party apps.
  • We've had incorrect "Disputes" at times when auto-scanning.
  • It's more user-friendly on the mobile app than on desktop.
Expensify is best suited to track business expenses on the go. The app has a great user interface and is user-friendly and, for the most part, auto-scans your receipts to automatically pre-populate important fields so that you don't have to.
Support is user-friendly and responsive.
Read Wing Lee, CPA, MST's full review
Vivian Okere | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 16, 2020

Love it! Ideal for Sales People!

Expensify has been extremely valuable to me, especially because I go into territory once a month for work. I'm able to seamlessly include Uber/Lyft receipts because of the integration and use my mobile app for other expenses. It's great and I love the push notifications when expenses have been approved!
  • Parking/Taxi Expenses
  • Personal Food Exepenses
Great for Account Managers/Executives
The UI/UX is slick and fast to adopt.
Read Vivian Okere's full review
Riaz Uddin | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 15, 2020

Great expense software for a startup!

We use Expensify for 2 reasons. First, it helps us track all the spending in one place. The second biggest reason is that all of our receipts are also with Expensify. This makes it really easy when we have to reconcile our statements every month.
  • Scanning receipts is really easy.
  • Forwarding your email receipts directly to Expensify is great since it matches up the email with the expense.
  • Sometimes it's hard to navigate when there are too many expenses for the month.
I can't see why you wouldn't use Expensify. They really have made it easy to use and have streamlined the expenses process.
I had to reach out to them in the beginning when I was trying to get this to work with NetSuite. They were very helpful in getting it integrated.
Read Riaz Uddin's full review
Anthony Margulies | TrustRadius Reviewer

Expense Management Made Easy

Each department and member under that department has access to Expensify, so that we can expense qualified expenses as needed. This includes things like travel, corporate gifts to clients, etc. It addresses the ability to have an easy and unified way to track employee corporate expenses, and manage reimbursement. It's much easier than using spreadsheets.
  • Great UI
  • Multiple options for submitting receipts
  • The app UI is a bit more streamlined than desktop
Very well suited for individuals and tracking corporate expenses. The app and email forwarding feature make submitting receipts while traveling or on the go, a breeze.

I don't know what it's like at the accounting level, like the people actually approving the reports. But for the individual, it's very easy to use.
I haven't had to use the support feature a single time. Everything has worked flawlessly, and there have been no bugs or glitches in my experieince so far.
Read Anthony Margulies's full review
Justin TenEyck | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 14, 2020

Expensify - Always the right product.

We use Expensify for expense tracking and reimbursements. The concierge service allows for a scheduled expense submission, so employees don’t have to worry about the hassle of remembering to submit. This expedites employee reimbursement and increases morale. The app is very intuitive and makes recording purchases a breeze.
  • App integration
  • Concierge service
  • Integration with Apple Pay - an automatic ask if the expense should be reimbursed
I’ve used Expensify both with corporate function and personally. I can’t think of a time when it’s not the appropriate application.
They’re readily available to support any concern.
Read Justin TenEyck's full review
Nathan George | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 14, 2020

Simple, easy, hassle free expense reports

My company is not using it at the corporate level. I've recommended to my coworkers and most of us use it personally to track expenses, then manually send to the finance department.
  • Capturing receipts with OCR is awesome
  • Ability to forward email receipts, particularly for travel reservations, is great
  • A more robust way to export to a xlsx format would be helpful
  • Syncing credit card records when you login would be helpful rather than having to manually do it
I don't think it would be good at tracking billable hours of work, but it is super easy to use for pretty much anything else you buy or for mileage.
I've never had to use their support. It just works all the time.
Read Nathan George's full review
March 04, 2020

Expensify for your money

The entire organization is using Expensify. We use it to log any reimbursements we need as well as things the company has decided to cover for us; for example, our phone bills are covered if you're in sales, and Expensify is where I log that information every month.
  • Upload images from your phone or computer (receipts)
  • Alerts the financial team to approve or deny the expense
  • Links with your bank account for payment
  • Once you submit your expense, it is not submitted. You have to double back to your "home" and go from there actually to submit the expense.
  • I do wish that as those on the team are approving finances, it would tell you if someone has looked at it. Not just say it's approved.
Expensify is well suited for anything having to do with reimbursements. Anything along the lines of events, conferences, monthly stipends, anything your company says that you can submit a receipt and get a reimbursement for. It's easily tracked in the mobile app or online. You can see the log of what has been paid out in the past, as well as keep track of your finances.
I have never used their support yet; I have not had a need too. The interface is relatively user-friendly.
February 11, 2020

Expensify is easy to use!

My company uses Expensify to manage most employee expenses that we submit manually. Exceptions include ordering from shared business accounts with the business credit card already loaded into it, like Amazon Business. Otherwise, the fully-remote company I work for provides a set budget for specific activities and office supplies, then employees submit all these expenses to Expensify for approval.
  • Simple report and expense creation.
  • Clear error messages with prompts on how to correct the errors.
  • I can't think of any improvements! This is an excellent tool.
Expensify is user-friendly while also offering critical advanced features like SmartScan. I've now used this across two companies and all my coworkers have been satisfied with it!
Every time our Accounting team has needed to contact support, they have had a pleasant and helpful experience. I highly recommend their support team!
January 31, 2020

Expensify is a must for sales teams

We use Expensify for random business expenses such as Ubering to a meeting, ordering food for the team or client, or pretty much any time we need to use our personal credit cards for something that is related to our job.
  • It helps categorize business expenses really well for our accounting department.
  • The ability to upload a picture as proof or additional information is huge.
  • Sometimes the ability to add a picture to a report is somewhat clumsy.
  • I wish you could submit a report a bit easier.
On our sales team, I'm not sure how we would operate or survive without having Expensify. I do not like the idea of having a corporate credit card so this is a perfect alternative. We're always making little charges on our personal cards and then plugging those into Expensify right away.
I have personally never contacted their support team but my coworker has and said it was a seamless experience.
January 24, 2020

Truly automates expense management

We use Expensify across the entire company for reimbursements including documentation, approval, and payment. Currently, all reimbursements are approved by one person on the operations team. In the future, we will move to a department-based approval system. It keeps all documentation in one place and expedites the reimbursement process vs. one person manually processing the payments through our banking system.
  • User friendly - It's easy to get started.
  • Quick and clear communication - Employees know exactly when they'll be reimbursed.
  • The mobile app and web app don't have the same UX.
  • Smartscan sometimes takes a while.
It's an excellent, user-friendly system to manage the expenses process. In my experience, it's a quicker, easier tool than using a corporate-type system (eg. Workday) for the expense process. Unfortunately, when companies scale, they tend to adopt large scale corporate systems and Expensify hasn't figured out how to market and be used in those situations.
Honestly, I haven't needed to utilize Expensify support that much. Every question I've had has been answered by the help center or a colleague.
January 23, 2020

A fun and easy to use expense management tool

We use Expensify as our expense management platform, and I've been very impressed with it. It's intuitive, easy to use, and engaging. It reads your receipts and automatically inputs and categorizes your expenses, and it's really easy to submit your expense reports and get reimbursed. I appreciate that it sends reminder emails when you have a report that you haven't submitted yet.
  • An easy to use interface -- it's really self-explanatory.
  • AI/machine learning -- the system automatically reads your receipts and fills out your expense information, which saves time.
  • Sometimes the tool can take a little bit to read your receipts and input the information. Ideally, it would be a little quicker.
Expensify is really well suited to startups and medium-sized companies I think. The branding and experience is a bit lighter and more playful than previous tools I've used at a Fortune 500 company.
I haven't had any issues with Expensify, so I haven't had to interact with Expensify's support.

About Expensify

Expensify is an expense management software product, available as a cloud-service and billed as a fast and easy way to manage business expenses. With Expensify, cash and card transactions are automated. Billable time, including mileage, time, and other reimbursable expenses, are captured via its document storage system to create a clear audit trail, ensuring compliance and reducing fraud. Expensify's SmartCategorization feature allows varying kinds of expenses to be sorted according to type. Employees may be reimbursed via integration with ACH Direct Deposit or Paypal at no additional cost. Workflow and rule-based approval processes are automated in Expensify. It is mobile accessible and supports integration with many commonly used accounting programs. Expensify supports domain control, tracking all activity within a particular domain, and automated GL mapping for better workflow and compliance.

A free version is available for individual users. Two paid tiers are also available, one at $5 per user for the Team tier, billed as adequate for "non-profits, church groups, student groups," and the like, and a $9 dollar per user Corporate package, which contains the most sophisticated features and is meant for use by administrators at companies. "Users" are persons who have edited expense data with the software in a given month. No other costs are incurred but this. Expensify offers support for integration via workshops and training videos, and 24-hour email support.

Expensify Integrations