Expensify

Expensify - easy to use

Expensify for your money

Expensify is easy to use!

Expensify is a must for sales teams

Track

Per Month (Free for 25 SmartScans per Month)

Per Month (Free for 25 SmartScans per Month)

Collect

$5

Per User Per Month with Expensify Card with Pay-Per-Use Price of $10 per User per Month

For the latest information on pricing, visithttp://use.expensify.com/priciing

Starting price (does not include set up fee)

• $5 per month

What is Expensify?

Expensify enables users to manage expenses, pay bills, send invoices, and book travel. Supports unlimited receipt scanning and mileage tracking to next-day reimbursement, to automate preaccounting systems.

- Unlimited receipt scanning: Snap a photo of any receipt and Expensify 's SmartScan technology captures the details. Also, the Expensify Card can be used to replace receipts.

- Expense management: Expensify codes and submits business expenses for approval, next-day reimbursement, and automatic sync with accounting software.

- The Expensify Card: Swipe the Expensify card to automate expenses.

- Bill payment: Expensify captures details from vendor bills for automatic approval and payment.

- Invoicing: Create and send invoices, while collecting payments and syncing automatically to accounting software.

- Travel booking: Concierge books flights, hotels, and cars for the user in a chat.

Expensify Video

Expensify Integrations

Expensify Competitors

Expensify Technical Details

Mobile ApplicationApple iOS, Android, Mobile Web

Alternatives

How much does Expensify cost?

Expensify starts at $5.

What is Expensify's best feature?

Reviewers rate Support Rating highest, with a score of 8.6.

Who uses Expensify?

The most common users of Expensify are from Mid-size Companies and the Computer Software industry.

Expensify allows our team to quickly enter expenses on their website. It solves the problem of having to submit expense reports manually or having to save receipts. You can save receipts on your cell phone and send them to Expensify or upload them when you are submitting reports. It's easy to use so it requires little training or setup time.
  • Submitting expenses. It's easy to enter an expense, choose a category, enter the dollar amount and submit it. That's about it.
  • Uploading receipts. You can send receipts to Expensify from your phone, or upload them from your computer.
  • Entering hours worked. It's simple to move from expenses over to timesheets to submit the hours that you've worked.
  • Keeping their political opinions out of it. I shouldn't be emailed and told to vote for a certain candidate like they chose to do before the presidential election. I didn't sign up for Fox News or CNN.
  • Uploading duplicate charges. Duplicate charges are flagged, but sometimes I have multiple expenses for the same dollar amount and the same company. To get around this, I change the cents a bit ($19.99 for one and $20.01 or another).
  • Every once in a while it gets a little buggy when uploading a receipt, and I have to press the back button and start again. This is pretty rare though.
Expensify is perfect for a small team or a small business. It's affordable (I believe there is even a free version) and it is very easy to submit reports and to teach others how to submit reports. For a larger business, a one-stop shop for travel and expenses might be a better option. Larger companies might want more analytics as well, although Expensify does allow you to run reports.
Jonathan Whetstone | TrustRadius Reviewer
Expensify is being used to record expenses across all our departments. It is solving the connection of expenses from employees to accountants. We have used this for over 2 years and it has really cut down on the amount of work that our team needs to do when worrying about expense reports.
  • It has a Great Mobile App
  • It has made it extremely easy for employees to upload receipts
  • It has made it easy for employees to get reimbursed
  • They could also improve on having a better expense summary report
  • They could have a better web application
  • Expensify could have better customer service
Expensify is great for the user. Connecting expenses from start to finish and then allowing employees to get reimbursed in a timely manner. I would recommend this to other companies because it is great for users and it very simple. Another reason I gave it a 9 is because the employees at our company do not have to do that much work.
Expensify is used across all departments to manage employee expenses and reimbursements. It does the expense approval workflow as well as the storing and capturing receipts to ensure proper accounting. It makes it easier to sort and track expenses made on company credit cards. It is also used for other expenses that are not related to travel.<br><br>
  • UI is easy to follow and convenient - web and mobile.
  • Nice workflow for approvals.
  • Uploading receipts directly from phone makes the process very convenient.
  • Web based version has a lot going on and you can be distracted.
  • The smartscan feature can be 50/50 at times. Perhaps they can provide more guidance on how to have a more successful scan?
Expensify is helpful in an organization where team members are traveling to places at the same time. Employees feel confident that it will be an easy process to submit any work related expenses.
It is smart enough and works well when there are many approvers and chains. With more improvements around scanning, I believe it can be a very convenient tool for companies to have.
We used Expensify for our entire company. We tracked all employee expenses using Expensify. It simplified our expense reporting process tremendously. It helped reduce administrative work.
  • Awesome mobile app
  • Very easy for employees to upload receipts
  • Simplified reimbursement process
  • Web experience could've been better. I preferred the mobile experience.
  • Pricing model was confusing & seemed to change a lot.
  • They push their products a lot.
Expensify is perfect for companies looking to simplify employee expense management & reimbursement process. It's very user-friendly, which saves time for the employees submitting expense reports & for the administrators who review, approve, and process reimbursement.
Expensify is used by our organization for expense report management, integrated with our accounting ERP system, Intacct. It allows our mostly remote team to submit expense reports paperlessly and makes approval and reimbursement very easy.
  • Picture receipts
  • user friendly
  • easy approval process
  • It cannot filter out projects by status so even closed out project still appear available for employees to charge expenses to
  • They push their Expensify card on the users
  • They are expensive and raising prices
Expensify is a great, really easy to use expense report software that I have used for many years now. I think the ease of use is far superior to its main competitor Concur from both a user and admin standpoint. It is ideal for a company who wants to get away from paper receipts and reports because employees can simply snap a picture of a receipt and save it in the app so there is no need to hold onto receipts while traveling.
From an admin perspective, it is very easy to sync the system to Sage Intacct, easy to add and delete users and easy to set up approval flows that vary employee to employee.
Expensify is used across all over organization and it addresses the expense management and expense reporting problems. Since sales and product management along with presales teams have higher travel work load there are specific user experience focused changes has been done for these power users. Expensive allows great user experience by offering changes.
  • Great image capture and image to text conversion capability
  • Seamless reporting integration with SAP tool
  • Great user experience for power users
  • Mobile integration has been improved further
  • Improving integration with endpoint mailer ecosystem
  • Improving SSO features
  • Improving integrated feed broadcast to reporting managers
If you have travel intensive function then exoensify works and if you don't have travel focus much then it would not add much value. In that case you can go for other OTC software products such as SAP, Oracle, Zoho Expense and others. The strength of expensify is their user experience and that works well when you have abundance travel datasets.
We've used Expensify to manage our team's expenses for over four years. We mainly used it to track travel and events expenses. We like their service and depended on it for four years; however, this year we decided to end our service with them and find an alternative. This decision was primarily related to the increase in their fees and the degradation of their customer support.
  • Easy-to-use interface
  • Good approval process
  • Supports multiple currencies
  • Ability to enforce policies on expenses
  • Their pricing model is very complicated and keeps changing
  • Their customer service has deteriorated in the past two years
  • Pushing other products, such as their credit card, on customers by preventing them from keeping their current plans unless they include and pay for the new service.
Unfortunately after using their service for four years, now I don't recommend them to other colleagues. Expensify might be good for very large companies with unlimited resources looking to use all the features that Expensify offers, but even then, their customer service has deteriorated greatly in the past two years.

We used Expensify to manage our team's expenses, and they kept increasing their fees and finally they locked us into an annual agreement and changed their pricing model again. They customer support doesn't answer any questions; they keep sending links to their documentation and support forms instead of answering questions.
Chloe Sayers | TrustRadius Reviewer
It is being used across the whole organization to manage employee expenses and reimbursements. It solves the problem of expense approval workflow as well as the need for receipts to ensure proper accounting and bookkeeping. It also makes it easier to categorize and track expenses made on company credit cards.
  • Expense categorization
  • Integration with QuickBooks
  • Report labelling
  • Automatic reminders for submissions/approvals
In general, it works really well for expense tracking, categorization, and approval to allow employees to get reimbursed quickly while maintaining accurate accounting and coding. It's not super user-friendly though and there aren't a lot of in-app tips that are customizable to ensure end users are using the platform correctly.
I haven't had to use the support much for Expensify, so I don't have a lot of additional context here.
Katy Martin | TrustRadius Reviewer
Our organization uses Expensify to track, manage, and approve expenses. I personally use it on my mobile app and on my computer. It's easy to use. It helps everyone stay informed about expenses and cascades the approval process through the necessary managers. It makes it convenient to track expenses on the go, including work trips.
  • Receipt scanning
  • Approval process
  • Catching duplicate receipts
  • Allowing for a visual of spend vs. budget
I highly recommend this tool for medium to large companies who need to manage and track expenses, and/or distribute reimbursements. I don't know if it'd be necessary for a small startup, though I've used it while running my own LLC. I would say it is most advantageous for people who have a few layers of management who would be a part of the review process.
The entire organization is using Expensify. We use it to log any reimbursements we need as well as things the company has decided to cover for us; for example, our phone bills are covered if you're in sales, and Expensify is where I log that information every month.
  • Upload images from your phone or computer (receipts)
  • Alerts the financial team to approve or deny the expense
  • Links with your bank account for payment
  • Once you submit your expense, it is not submitted. You have to double back to your "home" and go from there actually to submit the expense.
  • I do wish that as those on the team are approving finances, it would tell you if someone has looked at it. Not just say it's approved.
Expensify is well suited for anything having to do with reimbursements. Anything along the lines of events, conferences, monthly stipends, anything your company says that you can submit a receipt and get a reimbursement for. It's easily tracked in the mobile app or online. You can see the log of what has been paid out in the past, as well as keep track of your finances.
I have never used their support yet; I have not had a need too. The interface is relatively user-friendly.
February 11, 2020

Expensify is easy to use!

My company uses Expensify to manage most employee expenses that we submit manually. Exceptions include ordering from shared business accounts with the business credit card already loaded into it, like Amazon Business. Otherwise, the fully-remote company I work for provides a set budget for specific activities and office supplies, then employees submit all these expenses to Expensify for approval.
  • Simple report and expense creation.
  • Clear error messages with prompts on how to correct the errors.
  • I can't think of any improvements! This is an excellent tool.
Expensify is user-friendly while also offering critical advanced features like SmartScan. I've now used this across two companies and all my coworkers have been satisfied with it!
Every time our Accounting team has needed to contact support, they have had a pleasant and helpful experience. I highly recommend their support team!
We use Expensify for random business expenses such as Ubering to a meeting, ordering food for the team or client, or pretty much any time we need to use our personal credit cards for something that is related to our job.
  • It helps categorize business expenses really well for our accounting department.
  • The ability to upload a picture as proof or additional information is huge.
  • Sometimes the ability to add a picture to a report is somewhat clumsy.
  • I wish you could submit a report a bit easier.
On our sales team, I'm not sure how we would operate or survive without having Expensify. I do not like the idea of having a corporate credit card so this is a perfect alternative. We're always making little charges on our personal cards and then plugging those into Expensify right away.
I have personally never contacted their support team but my coworker has and said it was a seamless experience.
We use Expensify to issue payments for work-related expenses for our team.
  • Disbursing payments
  • Autofill via receipt photos
  • Remembering expense categorizations
  • Sending the expenses to be approved is somewhat confusing for new users
  • Having a default expenses payer is glitchy.
I love Expensify for a seamless way to disburse payments. It is easy & quick to group expenses into one report.
I have not utilized the Expensify support team.
Jason Carlage | TrustRadius Reviewer
Expensify allows our team to upload expenses and get reimbursed. It's a website, it doesn't require any downloads and is a quick way to create and submit expense reports. There is also a free version which is all our small company has needed for the past three years.
  • Ease of use: it's easy to learn Expensify, the layout and navigation are easy to follow.
  • Reminders: you can set reminders for yourself to submit reports daily, weekly or monthly.
  • Uploading receipts: you can scan receipts on your phone or take pictures and attach.
  • The site occasionally has a glitch where it thinks a duplicate receipt is being uploaded, and it requires deleting the expense and re-entering. This happens once every 3 or 4 reports.
  • The concierge offers popups with helpful tips. It reminds me a bit of the old paperclip on Microsoft Word. Like that paperclip however, I could see it annoying some users. I haven't found the ability to turn it off.
  • It's a little confusing that expenses can be uploaded and saved onto the site, or instantly uploaded for only the report you're working on. I haven't quite figured out how why I would save the receipts on the site instead of the one-time use that I've been doing.
For a small business the free site is terrific. It offers a full expense reporting function for reps and includes everything that a comparable paid service would. It also offers commenting, where the manager can write comments on the expense report, and the ability to save and print reports.
We've never needed to contact live support for Expensify, but the concierge feature offers tips and answered any questions that we've had.
Scott Regan | TrustRadius Reviewer
As a consultant, I travel a great deal. I used to manage receipts the old-school way: stuff them into my pockets and hope I don't lose any. With Expensify, receipts get uploaded on the fly, get tagged to a specific expense report, and are ready to be submitted with my invoices when I need them.
  • Smart scanning of receipts is a wonderful tool that saves me keystroking time.
  • The ability to create mileage receipts using the maps feature makes it unnecessary to track odometer readings.
  • Creating the expense rules can be a little clunky and difficult.
  • Some things are difficult to find. For instance, when I needed to change the mileage rate, I had to search the knowledgebase for how to do this.
Expensify is perfect for a business traveler who needs to track expenses by the client for either client payment or IRS reporting. With receipts captured and stored, it makes reporting very, very easy. The ability to integrate with Quickbooks is also a time-saver and reduces the need to double enter expenses in two different applications.
Although I give Expensify a 10 for support, I have never needed to contact the support team. Whenever I have had an issue, I have solved it on my own through Expensify's extensive knowledgebase. The app is very simple to use, so support has never been required in the 10+ years I have used the software.
Andy Abramson | TrustRadius Reviewer
Expensify is being used company-wide and is used to streamline expense reporting and report submission both for internal costs that staff incurs for non-billable charges and for expenses that are incurred by staff that are billable back to clients. By using Expensify we can properly attribute the expenses to clients (billable) or to internal expenses client projects (non-billable).
  • Collects data from credit cards.
  • Collects data from bank statements.
  • Multiple-project or client billing and tracking is more work than it should be.
  • Help and support is a bit cloudy and not easy to use.
Expensify is well suited for enforcing travel policies and travel budget guidelines. The process for approval is easy. It's not well suited for SOHO businesses where rules are less restrictive and the need for flexibility is there. In the collection of expenses Expensify excels, but in preparing reports that cross personal reimbursement, business non-billable, and client billable it requires more time and work than it needs to.
The time it takes to get a response is sometimes overnight. For those who work on expenses once a week to have to wait to get a response or live support is not really helpful and actually creates extra work.
Nick Walters | TrustRadius Reviewer
We are all using it because it's so easy to use. The mobile-friendliness is the key component. Most of us who do sales HATE keeping up with expenses, and the ability to use the scanning/picture functions are two of the things we like best. If we are on a business lunch, we can take the full receipt and have it scanned and be done.
  • Converting pictures of restaurant receipts is a big plus.
  • I can tag different accounts and clients very easily.
  • I don't see the Concierege function having much use for what I do.
When I add the tip to a restaurant bill I can use the picture function to "back up" what I submit on an expense report. I hate keeping all those receipts, but I really hate having to divert my attention from a client to add my tip to my copy. It sounds trivial, but if we are having a good conversation I don't want to stop what we are talking about (usually me selling some idea!) and have to re-add my tip to my receipt.
They give a good list of FAQs that have answered all my questions.
Kelsie Hamilton | TrustRadius Reviewer
Our company doesn't have company credit cards, so any expenses are paid by the employee's personal credit card (although many of us purchase a card we only use for work) and then are reimbursed by the company through Expensify. The whole organization uses it. However, as an organization where a few members travel internationally for work, those traveling members use it pretty consistently and for pretty significant amounts. Expensify addresses the problem of staff getting reimbursed in a quick and efficient way (and doesn't require saving a bunch of physical receipts), and our accountant is satisfied with the legal and financial side of it as well.
  • Link to credit card.
  • Easy tagging for company.
  • Email to Expensify can create duplicates.
  • Some credit cards aren't easily linked.
Expensify is pretty much well suited for any company where staff members need to get reimbursed. However, there is a cost associated with the number of users. So, if your organization doesn't really need the reimbursement feature or it happens infrequently, this isn't really the best fit. I'm using Expensify to comp my expenses every other month or so, so it's been extremely helpful for myself and for our financial team.
I don't tend to need support very often, which I guess is a good thing. The only thing that has been a bit frustrating is my US Bank credit card could never link to the Expensify account. That issue, though, was between Expensify and US Bank, so it was something they needed to work out. Ultimately, I stopped using that card entirely because it wasn't working.
We use Expensify across our entire organization for expense management, expense reporting, and employee repayment. We also have an interface with American Express that brings in all charges to each individual's expense report for company card purchases. This helps out with monthly expense reports for every employee in our organization.
  • Expensify is easy to use.
  • There are very few technical issues.
  • It has some quirks with reading receipts.
  • The phone app sometimes loses receipts.
Expensify is a great product. It performs great, is easy to use, and we get very few complaints from both users and accounting folks who manage the reports on the backside. It has some great interfaces, good drag and drop for PC users, and an app for those that live on their phones.
It is great because the product is solid to begin with. We rarely have to interact with support, and when we do it is quick and easy. Most of the issues can be resolved by poking around or manually doing something. Most of the time it is flawless, so even manual workarounds are limited.
Our entire organization uses Expensify to streamline our expense reports. We are all remote across the west coast and before Expensify, all expense reports were done in excel and e-mailed to the admin. Receipts had to then be mailed or scanned and e-mailed. This makes expense reports so much cleaner and allows everyone to expense what they need as they go or after each trip instead of at the end of each month. Some of our guys would do 3 months at a time because it was such a pain to fill out their reports. Now, they are able to do it as they go. Saves so much time!
  • User-friendly.
  • Nice design.
  • Receipt scanner sometimes struggles.
  • More categories for expenses.
As a fully remote team, Expensify is a lifesaver. None of our sales team works in the same office and our CFO also manages a territory. Expensify cuts down on his admin time processing expense reports and makes our reimbursement time much quicker. We were referred to Expensify by a much larger corporation and while it takes them longer to process reports because of their size, it still works well for them too. Expensify works for any size company and saves so much time for your admins!
We have not needed to use Expensify support. We have had no problems with the app that I have been made aware of. Everything set up easily and we have not had any technical issues that needed addressing. Everything is clean and clear and easy to figure out for any level of technical ability.
January 14, 2020

Expensify Review

Taylor Martino | TrustRadius Reviewer
Expensify is used for any business-related purchase that an individual makes and needs to be reimbursed for by the company. Sales use it the most, as we book our own travel to meet with customers, attend conferences, etc. and it is an easy way to record all of our expenses in an easy manner.
  • Scans receipts.
  • Creates full reports for related expenses.
  • Too many options for categories of the expense.
  • Does not convert currencies perfectly.
Expensify is a great tool for employees to use to accurately record their expenses and to know when they will be reimbursed. It is easy to keep track of your total purchases and projected return. I also like the constant updates I get as my expense report gets approved. I think it is less appropriate for constant/recurring expenses, such as bills. I think it's better for trips/clinics /one time purchases with different amounts to be approved instead of recurring spending.
I have not used Expensify support before as I have not needed it, it's very a straightforward product.

Expensify was used by my entire company, starting at the time we had 30 employees up until the time we were acquired.

When we had just over 100 employees, we need a platform that was easy to set up, and our employees would quickly adopt that. It was used across the entire org for mainly travels expense reports. It was also used for general expenses not related to travel.
  • Links up to a credit card and automatically creates receipts.
  • Let's you get reimbursed for miles using a maps plugin where you can enter a starting point and final destination.
  • If you chose to scan receipts the it could take a long time for them to registers.
  • It didn't categorize receipts consistently on it's own.
Having traveled for business and created expense reports for over 15 years, I can say that Expensify was great for field sales reps. The ability to link it to your credit card and auto-magically see the reports create themselves was incredible. For me, it was all about spending as little time as possible with maximum accuracy.
I didn't ever need support because it was so easy to use.
Chase Palmer, CISSP | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Expensify to streamline the employee reimbursement process and to keep budgets in check. In the past, reimbursements would generally involve filling out paperwork and attaching physical receipts to those reports and then it would take weeks to get all the necessary managers to sign off on it. Expensify not only eliminated all paperwork, but it also gets approvals done quickly.
  • The interface is pretty simple and follows general trends with SaaS applications.
  • Automated workflows get approval requests in front of the necessary people quickly. This also keeps the requested up-to-date on the status of a reimbursement.
  • Understanding the true workflow between uploading a receipt and submitting a report can be a bit confusing.
  • The automated receipt processing doesn't always work. Many requests end up having to be manually entered.
Growing companies (around 300 employees) who end up processing reimbursements several times per day would probably start seeing the ROI of Expensify. Smaller companies or companies that don't deal with a lot of employee reimbursements most likely won't benefit from Expensify. Not sure how well a large enterprise company would benefit from Expensify.
I was involved with getting Expensify set up to work with our single sign-on service and had to work with the customer support team to get that setup. The team was quick to respond and was able to get us up and running with SSO within a few days, wherewith with other applications, it would take us a couple of weeks of back and forth to get things set up.
Tegan Jenner | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Expensify for all of our internal expenses. We buy a lot of props with allotted client budgets to create our digital ad content. All of these items need to be tracked and allocated to separate client budgets. We also track all of our travel costs here for reimbursement.
  • Simple, intuitive UI design (even with limited training, I was able to start using it immediately).
  • Customization with lots of options on how to track your expenses and how you want to provide receipts/documentation.
  • Integration with banking systems to improve expense tracking.
I only have good things to say about Expensify. It's really simple and intuitive to use. I am no the most tech-savvy individual, so if a user-interface is cumbersome or not intuitive I will struggle with it. But with Expensify, I was able to start using the product with little to no training. Expensify is perfect for our company's needs where we have lots of people buying lots of items & travel expenses that need to be tracked against different contracts and categorized against different parts of client budgets. When you classify an expense, there is a lot of customization available to help give finely granular classifications.
They have a chat system available for help, which is convenient. But honestly, I have not needed to seek out customer support because we haven't run into issues with the software.
Jay Gardner | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Expensify to track and handle reimbursements for all our employees, across all teams. We also use it for candidate reimbursement when we have candidates travel for on-site interviews. It streamlines the expense process and really cuts down on the time needed to process it all, so people aren't photocopying receipts or filling out spreadsheets.
  • Easy to invite new users.
  • Easy workflow for approvals.
  • Reporting could be more comprehensive, I have a hard time pulling very specific reports when I'm trying to track costs.
It's great for expense management. I have had very few complaints, and even salespeople traveling all over the place find it easy to use. it integrates with our ATS Greenhouse which makes it easier to manage candidate reimbursements as well, and then the candidate has a better experience with us, which is also important.
They have a pretty thorough knowledge base, and I appreciate that they have chat on their website—usually, if I have a question it's kind of urgent and I don't like having to wait for an email. They always reply, though sometimes it takes a bit longer than I would like.