Score 8.1 out of 10

What is Expensify?

Expensify enables users to manage expenses, pay bills, send invoices, and book travel. Supports unlimited receipt scanning and mileage tracking to next-day reimbursement, to automate preaccounting systems.

- Unlimited receipt scanning: Snap a photo of any receipt and Expensify 's...

Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of Expensify, and make your voice heard!

Track

Per Month (Free for 25 SmartScans per Month)

Per Month (Free for 25 SmartScans per Month)

Collect

$5

Per User Per Month with Expensify Card with Pay-Per-Use Price of $10 per User per Month

For the latest information on pricing, visithttp://use.expensify.com/priciing

Starting price (does not include set up fee)

• $5 per month

What is Expensify?

- Unlimited receipt scanning: Snap a photo of any receipt and Expensify 's SmartScan technology captures the details. Also, the Expensify Card can be used to replace receipts.

- Expense management: Expensify codes and submits business expenses for approval, next-day reimbursement, and automatic sync with accounting software.

- The Expensify Card: Swipe the Expensify card to automate expenses.

- Bill payment: Expensify captures details from vendor bills for automatic approval and payment.

- Invoicing: Create and send invoices, while collecting payments and syncing automatically to accounting software.

- Travel booking: Concierge books flights, hotels, and cars for the user in a chat.

Expensify Video

Expensify Technical Details

Deployment TypesSoftware as a Service (SaaS), Cloud, or Web-Based
Mobile ApplicationApple iOS, Android, Mobile Web

Expensify starts at $5.

Emburse Nexonia, SAP Concur, and Emburse Certify are common alternatives for Expensify.

Reviewers rate Support Rating highest, with a score of 8.5.

The most common users of Expensify are from Mid-sized Companies (51-1,000 employees).

I use it to reimburse employees for their business-related expenses.
  • It syncs to QBO well
  • It's easy to reimburse employees timely
  • It's easy to split expenses between departments
  • Smart scan fails too often.
  • It would be great if there was a REQUIRED date of purchase AI recognition.
  • It would be helpful if employees could have designated departments/classes so the expenses would automatically code to the correct department.
  • As an admin user adding approvers to new users seems cumbersome and error-ridden. When I try to add approvers to new employees, often times, the field is blacked out or not even an option.
  • It would be great if we could easily deactivate users without going through multiple steps.
  • I would like to be able to delete reports from the inbox that are old/and not correct instead of having to request the submitter to do so.
  • I can hardly see the buttons on the filters in the inbox and the expenses list.
  • It would be nice to be able to filter by approver.
  • I don't like that user names aren't uniform. Why do some users have their email address as their username, and some people have their actual name (First and Last).
Expensify is helpful in that employees can somewhat easily submit their expenses for reimbursement. I have had several situations where employees are confused by the process of setting up their accounts. I would also like to have reimbursement rules that make it easier for employees to consolidate their expenses onto a single report instead of letting people submit reports for single expenses with reckless abandon or just plain misunderstanding of consolidation options.
We set it up to make our lives easier to automate expense reports and track monthly expenses within the restaurant. This was intended to create less work for our management team and easier reporting and access to monthly expenses. This is NOT what we have received.
  • I don't have anything to contribute here
  • In my experience, we have had so many problems within only 3 months of using and still have no resolution despite reaching out to your "support" on a weekly basis. I feel support cannot be bothered to have more than a chat conversation despite continued complex issues that cannot be clearly communicated or resolved via text and require a phone conversation.
  • Keep getting "duplicate" transactions, one showing as a credit card and one as cash. No resolution from previously suggested actions from your "support" team
  • Transactions from a card that is not connected in Expensify are coming through onto a report despite us never integrating or connecting that card on purpose. No resolution for that despite numerous contacts with "support"
  • Negligence of stated features per the contract which I believe you have violated
  • Card transactions from 1 employee's card will show on a different employee's report as a cash transaction.
If I could give a ZERO I would, it only allows me to give a 1. At this point, I feel Expensify has made our lives HARDER not easier. In my experience, I spend more time trying to get solutions from your poor excuse for a support team who refuses to call me after I reached out numerous times for the same issues with no resolution. This is supposed to make things easier and allow us to spend less time on monthly expenses. I have to devote at least 3 hours per week to try and resolve these problems myself and am no further along. I believe Expensify is in violation of the contract we signed and we want OUT.
Expensify allows our team to quickly enter expenses on their website. It solves the problem of having to submit expense reports manually or having to save receipts. You can save receipts on your cell phone and send them to Expensify or upload them when you are submitting reports. It's easy to use so it requires little training or setup time.
  • Submitting expenses. It's easy to enter an expense, choose a category, enter the dollar amount and submit it. That's about it.
  • Uploading receipts. You can send receipts to Expensify from your phone, or upload them from your computer.
  • Entering hours worked. It's simple to move from expenses over to timesheets to submit the hours that you've worked.
  • Keeping their political opinions out of it. I shouldn't be emailed and told to vote for a certain candidate like they chose to do before the presidential election. I didn't sign up for Fox News or CNN.
  • Uploading duplicate charges. Duplicate charges are flagged, but sometimes I have multiple expenses for the same dollar amount and the same company. To get around this, I change the cents a bit ($19.99 for one and $20.01 or another).
  • Every once in a while it gets a little buggy when uploading a receipt, and I have to press the back button and start again. This is pretty rare though.
Expensify is perfect for a small team or a small business. It's affordable (I believe there is even a free version) and it is very easy to submit reports and to teach others how to submit reports. For a larger business, a one-stop shop for travel and expenses might be a better option. Larger companies might want more analytics as well, although Expensify does allow you to run reports.
Expensify is used across all departments to manage employee expenses and reimbursements. It does the expense approval workflow as well as the storing and capturing receipts to ensure proper accounting. It makes it easier to sort and track expenses made on company credit cards. It is also used for other expenses that are not related to travel.<br><br>
  • UI is easy to follow and convenient - web and mobile.
  • Nice workflow for approvals.
  • Uploading receipts directly from phone makes the process very convenient.
  • Web based version has a lot going on and you can be distracted.
  • The smartscan feature can be 50/50 at times. Perhaps they can provide more guidance on how to have a more successful scan?
Expensify is helpful in an organization where team members are traveling to places at the same time. Employees feel confident that it will be an easy process to submit any work related expenses.
It is smart enough and works well when there are many approvers and chains. With more improvements around scanning, I believe it can be a very convenient tool for companies to have.
We used Expensify for our entire company. We tracked all employee expenses using Expensify. It simplified our expense reporting process tremendously. It helped reduce administrative work.
  • Awesome mobile app
  • Very easy for employees to upload receipts
  • Simplified reimbursement process
  • Web experience could've been better. I preferred the mobile experience.
  • Pricing model was confusing & seemed to change a lot.
  • They push their products a lot.
Expensify is perfect for companies looking to simplify employee expense management & reimbursement process. It's very user-friendly, which saves time for the employees submitting expense reports & for the administrators who review, approve, and process reimbursement.
Jonathan Whetstone | TrustRadius Reviewer
Expensify is being used to record expenses across all our departments. It is solving the connection of expenses from employees to accountants. We have used this for over 2 years and it has really cut down on the amount of work that our team needs to do when worrying about expense reports.
  • It has a Great Mobile App
  • It has made it extremely easy for employees to upload receipts
  • It has made it easy for employees to get reimbursed
  • They could also improve on having a better expense summary report
  • They could have a better web application
  • Expensify could have better customer service
Expensify is great for the user. Connecting expenses from start to finish and then allowing employees to get reimbursed in a timely manner. I would recommend this to other companies because it is great for users and it very simple. Another reason I gave it a 9 is because the employees at our company do not have to do that much work.
Expensify is used by our organization for expense report management, integrated with our accounting ERP system, Intacct. It allows our mostly remote team to submit expense reports paperlessly and makes approval and reimbursement very easy.
  • Picture receipts
  • user friendly
  • easy approval process
  • It cannot filter out projects by status so even closed out project still appear available for employees to charge expenses to
  • They push their Expensify card on the users
  • They are expensive and raising prices
Expensify is a great, really easy to use expense report software that I have used for many years now. I think the ease of use is far superior to its main competitor Concur from both a user and admin standpoint. It is ideal for a company who wants to get away from paper receipts and reports because employees can simply snap a picture of a receipt and save it in the app so there is no need to hold onto receipts while traveling.
From an admin perspective, it is very easy to sync the system to Sage Intacct, easy to add and delete users and easy to set up approval flows that vary employee to employee.
Expensify is used across all over organization and it addresses the expense management and expense reporting problems. Since sales and product management along with presales teams have higher travel work load there are specific user experience focused changes has been done for these power users. Expensive allows great user experience by offering changes.
  • Great image capture and image to text conversion capability
  • Seamless reporting integration with SAP tool
  • Great user experience for power users
  • Mobile integration has been improved further
  • Improving integration with endpoint mailer ecosystem
  • Improving SSO features
  • Improving integrated feed broadcast to reporting managers
If you have travel intensive function then exoensify works and if you don't have travel focus much then it would not add much value. In that case you can go for other OTC software products such as SAP, Oracle, Zoho Expense and others. The strength of expensify is their user experience and that works well when you have abundance travel datasets.
We've used Expensify to manage our team's expenses for over four years. We mainly used it to track travel and events expenses. We like their service and depended on it for four years; however, this year we decided to end our service with them and find an alternative. This decision was primarily related to the increase in their fees and the degradation of their customer support.
  • Easy-to-use interface
  • Good approval process
  • Supports multiple currencies
  • Ability to enforce policies on expenses
  • Their pricing model is very complicated and keeps changing
  • Their customer service has deteriorated in the past two years
  • Pushing other products, such as their credit card, on customers by preventing them from keeping their current plans unless they include and pay for the new service.
Unfortunately after using their service for four years, now I don't recommend them to other colleagues. Expensify might be good for very large companies with unlimited resources looking to use all the features that Expensify offers, but even then, their customer service has deteriorated greatly in the past two years.

We used Expensify to manage our team's expenses, and they kept increasing their fees and finally they locked us into an annual agreement and changed their pricing model again. They customer support doesn't answer any questions; they keep sending links to their documentation and support forms instead of answering questions.
The entire organization is using Expensify. We use it to log any reimbursements we need as well as things the company has decided to cover for us; for example, our phone bills are covered if you're in sales, and Expensify is where I log that information every month.
  • Upload images from your phone or computer (receipts)
  • Alerts the financial team to approve or deny the expense
  • Links with your bank account for payment
  • Once you submit your expense, it is not submitted. You have to double back to your "home" and go from there actually to submit the expense.
  • I do wish that as those on the team are approving finances, it would tell you if someone has looked at it. Not just say it's approved.
Expensify is well suited for anything having to do with reimbursements. Anything along the lines of events, conferences, monthly stipends, anything your company says that you can submit a receipt and get a reimbursement for. It's easily tracked in the mobile app or online. You can see the log of what has been paid out in the past, as well as keep track of your finances.
I have never used their support yet; I have not had a need too. The interface is relatively user-friendly.
We use Expensify to issue payments for work-related expenses for our team.
  • Disbursing payments
  • Autofill via receipt photos
  • Remembering expense categorizations
  • Sending the expenses to be approved is somewhat confusing for new users
  • Having a default expenses payer is glitchy.
I love Expensify for a seamless way to disburse payments. It is easy & quick to group expenses into one report.
I have not utilized the Expensify support team.
Chloe Sayers | TrustRadius Reviewer
It is being used across the whole organization to manage employee expenses and reimbursements. It solves the problem of expense approval workflow as well as the need for receipts to ensure proper accounting and bookkeeping. It also makes it easier to categorize and track expenses made on company credit cards.
  • Expense categorization
  • Integration with QuickBooks
  • Report labelling
  • Automatic reminders for submissions/approvals
In general, it works really well for expense tracking, categorization, and approval to allow employees to get reimbursed quickly while maintaining accurate accounting and coding. It's not super user-friendly though and there aren't a lot of in-app tips that are customizable to ensure end users are using the platform correctly.
I haven't had to use the support much for Expensify, so I don't have a lot of additional context here.
February 11, 2020

Expensify is easy to use!

My company uses Expensify to manage most employee expenses that we submit manually. Exceptions include ordering from shared business accounts with the business credit card already loaded into it, like Amazon Business. Otherwise, the fully-remote company I work for provides a set budget for specific activities and office supplies, then employees submit all these expenses to Expensify for approval.
  • Simple report and expense creation.
  • Clear error messages with prompts on how to correct the errors.
  • I can't think of any improvements! This is an excellent tool.
Expensify is user-friendly while also offering critical advanced features like SmartScan. I've now used this across two companies and all my coworkers have been satisfied with it!
Every time our Accounting team has needed to contact support, they have had a pleasant and helpful experience. I highly recommend their support team!
We use Expensify for random business expenses such as Ubering to a meeting, ordering food for the team or client, or pretty much any time we need to use our personal credit cards for something that is related to our job.
  • It helps categorize business expenses really well for our accounting department.
  • The ability to upload a picture as proof or additional information is huge.
  • Sometimes the ability to add a picture to a report is somewhat clumsy.
  • I wish you could submit a report a bit easier.
On our sales team, I'm not sure how we would operate or survive without having Expensify. I do not like the idea of having a corporate credit card so this is a perfect alternative. We're always making little charges on our personal cards and then plugging those into Expensify right away.
I have personally never contacted their support team but my coworker has and said it was a seamless experience.
Katy Martin | TrustRadius Reviewer
Our organization uses Expensify to track, manage, and approve expenses. I personally use it on my mobile app and on my computer. It's easy to use. It helps everyone stay informed about expenses and cascades the approval process through the necessary managers. It makes it convenient to track expenses on the go, including work trips.
  • Receipt scanning
  • Approval process
  • Catching duplicate receipts
  • Allowing for a visual of spend vs. budget
I highly recommend this tool for medium to large companies who need to manage and track expenses, and/or distribute reimbursements. I don't know if it'd be necessary for a small startup, though I've used it while running my own LLC. I would say it is most advantageous for people who have a few layers of management who would be a part of the review process.
We use Expensify across the entire company for reimbursements including documentation, approval, and payment. Currently, all reimbursements are approved by one person on the operations team. In the future, we will move to a department-based approval system. It keeps all documentation in one place and expedites the reimbursement process vs. one person manually processing the payments through our banking system.
  • User friendly - It's easy to get started.
  • Quick and clear communication - Employees know exactly when they'll be reimbursed.
  • The mobile app and web app don't have the same UX.
  • Smartscan sometimes takes a while.
It's an excellent, user-friendly system to manage the expenses process. In my experience, it's a quicker, easier tool than using a corporate-type system (eg. Workday) for the expense process. Unfortunately, when companies scale, they tend to adopt large scale corporate systems and Expensify hasn't figured out how to market and be used in those situations.
Honestly, I haven't needed to utilize Expensify support that much. Every question I've had has been answered by the help center or a colleague.
Scott Regan | TrustRadius Reviewer
As a consultant, I travel a great deal. I used to manage receipts the old-school way: stuff them into my pockets and hope I don't lose any. With Expensify, receipts get uploaded on the fly, get tagged to a specific expense report, and are ready to be submitted with my invoices when I need them.
  • Smart scanning of receipts is a wonderful tool that saves me keystroking time.
  • The ability to create mileage receipts using the maps feature makes it unnecessary to track odometer readings.
  • Creating the expense rules can be a little clunky and difficult.
  • Some things are difficult to find. For instance, when I needed to change the mileage rate, I had to search the knowledgebase for how to do this.
Expensify is perfect for a business traveler who needs to track expenses by the client for either client payment or IRS reporting. With receipts captured and stored, it makes reporting very, very easy. The ability to integrate with Quickbooks is also a time-saver and reduces the need to double enter expenses in two different applications.
Although I give Expensify a 10 for support, I have never needed to contact the support team. Whenever I have had an issue, I have solved it on my own through Expensify's extensive knowledgebase. The app is very simple to use, so support has never been required in the 10+ years I have used the software.
We use Expensify as our expense management platform, and I've been very impressed with it. It's intuitive, easy to use, and engaging. It reads your receipts and automatically inputs and categorizes your expenses, and it's really easy to submit your expense reports and get reimbursed. I appreciate that it sends reminder emails when you have a report that you haven't submitted yet.
  • An easy to use interface -- it's really self-explanatory.
  • AI/machine learning -- the system automatically reads your receipts and fills out your expense information, which saves time.
  • Sometimes the tool can take a little bit to read your receipts and input the information. Ideally, it would be a little quicker.
Expensify is really well suited to startups and medium-sized companies I think. The branding and experience is a bit lighter and more playful than previous tools I've used at a Fortune 500 company.
I haven't had any issues with Expensify, so I haven't had to interact with Expensify's support.
Expensify is used by everyone in the company, both domestically in the US and by our remote employees in Europe. Employees submit reimbursement requests, managers approve those requests and accounting processes the requests. There is a historical reporting tool. There are email reminders to the flow as well. Expensify addresses our need to allow employees to get reimbursements by easily completing online forms. There is a mobile app that works well. Receipts can be conveniently uploaded via the app.
  • Upload a receipt from my phone easily.
  • Approve and forward an expense report from someone on my team.
  • I understand the back end is not liked by our finance team, but I am not sure why.
  • I don't like the auto scan on receipts.
Expensify is used in the US and by our remote employees in Europe. It is nice to have a multi-currency solution. The manager's approval process is very easy. Expensify addresses our need to allow employees to get reimbursements by easily completing online forms. The mobile app works well. Receipts can be conveniently uploaded via the app.
I have never had to use their support before.
Andy Abramson | TrustRadius Reviewer
Expensify is being used company-wide and is used to streamline expense reporting and report submission both for internal costs that staff incurs for non-billable charges and for expenses that are incurred by staff that are billable back to clients. By using Expensify we can properly attribute the expenses to clients (billable) or to internal expenses client projects (non-billable).
  • Collects data from credit cards.
  • Collects data from bank statements.
  • Multiple-project or client billing and tracking is more work than it should be.
  • Help and support is a bit cloudy and not easy to use.
Expensify is well suited for enforcing travel policies and travel budget guidelines. The process for approval is easy. It's not well suited for SOHO businesses where rules are less restrictive and the need for flexibility is there. In the collection of expenses Expensify excels, but in preparing reports that cross personal reimbursement, business non-billable, and client billable it requires more time and work than it needs to.
The time it takes to get a response is sometimes overnight. For those who work on expenses once a week to have to wait to get a response or live support is not really helpful and actually creates extra work.
Expensify is being used across our organization to manage expense submissions, it is connected to our Netsuite account and there is a multi-step approval through managers and finance before our expenses are being reimbursed. It allows employees to submit expenses, managers to approve them, and the finance team to reimburse once approved.
  • I like that you can set up rules for common expenses like cell phone reimbursement so you don't have to type the same thing each time.
  • You can sync to your bank accounts to automatically pull in transactions.
  • Most of the time, the smartscan feature fails or freezes for a long period of time on mobile and I have to enter things manually.
  • I can't choose to submit my expenses to different people (only my manager), example if I incurred expenses from a different department head I can't send to them for approval.
Generally, Expensify is a very useful tool for submitting and being reimbursed for expenses. I've worked at small organizations and larger ones that have used the tool and it is very adaptable and works well for both. It becomes particularly useful if you have many approval chains and you need to have multiple people approving reports. If you really only need to track expenses on a corporate card, I think you can get away with the basic package.
Luckily, I have never had to use Expensify support because it is straight forward and it mostly just works. If I did want to contact support the chat box in the bottom right gives you an error and says "Something's wrong: We're unable to load messenger", so luckily I don't need help!
Wing Lee, CPA, MST | TrustRadius Reviewer
Expensify is being used across the organization as a way to track business expenses. Generally, capturing business expenses is a drawn-out, after-thought process, but Expensify is a user-friendly, mobile-app friendly tool that allows us to scan receipts as well as integrating with other 3rd party apps (Uber, Lyft) and corporate card reconciliation. It allows us to track business expenses easily so that we can focus on other things that drive the business.
  • It provides smart scanning of receipts, and autofills line items from receipts
  • Receipt integration with 3rd-party apps.
  • We've had incorrect "Disputes" at times when auto-scanning.
  • It's more user-friendly on the mobile app than on desktop.
Expensify is best suited to track business expenses on the go. The app has a great user interface and is user-friendly and, for the most part, auto-scans your receipts to automatically pre-populate important fields so that you don't have to.
Support is user-friendly and responsive.
Nick Walters | TrustRadius Reviewer
We are all using it because it's so easy to use. The mobile-friendliness is the key component. Most of us who do sales HATE keeping up with expenses, and the ability to use the scanning/picture functions are two of the things we like best. If we are on a business lunch, we can take the full receipt and have it scanned and be done.
  • Converting pictures of restaurant receipts is a big plus.
  • I can tag different accounts and clients very easily.
  • I don't see the Concierege function having much use for what I do.
When I add the tip to a restaurant bill I can use the picture function to "back up" what I submit on an expense report. I hate keeping all those receipts, but I really hate having to divert my attention from a client to add my tip to my copy. It sounds trivial, but if we are having a good conversation I don't want to stop what we are talking about (usually me selling some idea!) and have to re-add my tip to my receipt.
They give a good list of FAQs that have answered all my questions.
Vivian Okere | TrustRadius Reviewer
Expensify has been extremely valuable to me, especially because I go into territory once a month for work. I'm able to seamlessly include Uber/Lyft receipts because of the integration and use my mobile app for other expenses. It's great and I love the push notifications when expenses have been approved!
  • Parking/Taxi Expenses
  • Personal Food Exepenses
Great for Account Managers/Executives
The UI/UX is slick and fast to adopt.
January 15, 2020

expensify is great

We use it in real-time to log any purchases we make on our credit cards. It's used across the whole department. Expensify helps us to stay organized because we can categorize it for the books before we even submit it. Each expense log is approved by the direct manager and sent to accounting for bookkeeping.
  • Categorizes expenses
  • Automatically submits Ubers
  • Allow for talk to type
  • Allow for expenses to go more than $2000 in total
Expersify is great for expenses but not for a full trip log.
Expensify is very easy to use and has an app.