What is Grammarly?

Grammarly in San Francisco provides its grammar improvement and AI driven writing assistance platform, available on free or paid premium and business plans.

Good communication corrector

November 15, 2021

Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of Grammarly, and make your voice heard!

Free

$0

Premium

per month

Business

Per User Per Month

For the latest information on pricing, visithttps://www.grammarly.com/plans

What is Grammarly?

Grammarly's trusted AI-powered communication assistance helps over 30 million people and over 50,000 teams write confidently and achieve results. With comprehensive offerings for individuals, businesses, educational institutions, and developers, Grammarly delivers communication support wherever writing happens.

Grammarly Competitors

Grammarly Technical Details

Deployment TypesSoftware as a Service (SaaS), Cloud, or Web-Based
Mobile ApplicationApple iOS, Android
Supported LanguagesBritish English, American English, Canadian English, Australian English

Textio, Ginger, and Writer are common alternatives for Grammarly.

Reviewers rate Support Rating highest, with a score of 9.8.

The most common users of Grammarly are from Small Businesses (1-50 employees).

Thandolwethu Gulwa 🇿🇦 | TrustRadius Reviewer
Grammarly Free is a great tool. You can definitely expect more from the Business app. Any content writer who aims to write and expand their growth should consider investing in an AI tool that is reasonable and highly effective to the business needs. We used the tool to ensure our writing for clients has no plagiarism, syntax or grammar errors.
  • Grammarly edits text accurately.
  • The tone detector feature will cut away all the fluff in your writing and expose the actual writing tone.
  • The app climatises to the brand style and hence allows for you to build a brand guide.
  • It would be nice if there could be at least access to the plagiarism checker in Free version.
  • Grammarly can begin prioritising indigenous African languages especially in South Africa.
  • It would be great if Grammarly could have a translation tool.
Grammarly has made writing in many genres pleasurable. The doors it opens to vocab, grammar, syntax and overall and daily language rules are phenomenal. I have had clients and people who interact with my work impressed by my content writing. Grammarly is an essential app for any growing and ambitious content creator.
Adnan Sohail Akhtar | TrustRadius Reviewer
Since I began utilizing the Grammarly instrument, I had developed my spelling and grammar. It helps me on each tutorial and enterprise ranges. The worth is truthful and the performance is wonderful. I would favor to price 6+ stars if it have been accessible.I'm a content material marketer and I've been utilizing Grammarly from the final 2 years. It has definitively helped me enhance several types of content material belongings. Grammarly is sort of a one-step resolution for any enterprise who desires to develop within the digital advertising area and needs to ascertain their model.
  • Typically, I desire the Grammarly software as a result of it not solely helps me write quick and save time but in addition assists me in bettering my grammar and spelling quickly.
  • I appreciated the hype and the way it ought to assist me. In principle this software needs to be good however doesn't present precise worth. The mixing with Microsoft instruments is good since I exploit them every day.
  • The AI algorithms are based mostly on the context of writing and the assist for bettering the type of writing. It helps a variety of platforms like browsers and textual content modifying software program, and telephones and tablets.
  • May cause annoying autocorrects on names and different problematic areas, which is usually irritating when capturing off emails.
  • We had been having an issue with enhancing and it began turning right into a mimicro-managementroblem. With this, I simply need to say no strains (The edits are wanted strains) earlier than you ship.
  • Typically there are grammar errors that it doesn't spot, and when there are sentence construction points, it doesn't counsel a greater approach to the construction these sentences.
My general expertise with this software program is wonderful, actually. I do not suppose I'd be capable of getting by writing a letter or paper without this software as I stated earlier than I'm not the perfect speller and I am not an English main so this truly helps tremendously. Grammarly assists writers, content material creators, and typists to work with extra effectiveness. It could likewise be helpful for the people who find themselves new to English and must be taught and dominate English, moreover for non-native English audio system who can work on themselves and look extra professional of their work.
Anthony K. Bryan | TrustRadius Reviewer
Even if we make an error word, Grammarly assisted us but also our colleagues in writing excellent email responses to customers without even any grammatical mistakes. This program even enabled publishers to compose sentences using mood ideas, which I loved. Moreover, Grammarly Business has this fabulous built-in Ai-powered writing assistant that worked seamlessly with email responses to our valued customers.
  • Proofreading
  • Grammer Correction
  • Tone and mood setting
  • Synonyms
  • Grammer Checker
  • Tone and mood feature
  • Summerizer
Grammarly is a fantastic instrument that enables me to speak in a clear and understandable manner that appeals to my target audience, that is what I love the most about this AI-powered writing assistant. Seems a little costly to me for nice but needless functionality. It may propose incorrect misspellings or grammatical improvements, in which case you should reread and recheck your work.
Grammarly has two jobs at Perimeter Investments. We use it to cut down on mistakes, particularly in things we publish. Few things are more embarrassing than typos on web pages or other publications. The Microsoft Word grammar and style checker just does not do a good enough job. Word missed too many errors, does not understand structure or content as well as Grammarly. We also use it to improve our writing and delivery. Grammarly suggests great words and lets us know when our sentences don't work well. For this job we also use the readability statistics in Microsoft Word. Should Grammarly provide readability stats, we would stop using Microsoft's Style Checker.
  • Grammarly seems better to understand context and vocabulary than alternatives.
  • Grammarly's online thesaurus is amazing. We use it when we are stuck and we pay a lot of attention to its suggestions as we are developing a document.
  • Grammarly seems to think about vocabulary and sentence structure more than other packages. It picks up repetitive words and sentences and suggests improvements. This is critical when you are working on a first draft. Grammarly definitely improves our writing.
  • Grammarly is very reliable. We used WhiteSmoke for several years and it ultimately lost us because it was unreliable. It would not start, crashed often, and its advice deteriorated. Grammarly is as solid as any app we use.
  • I would love readability statistics, preferably better and more reliable than Microsoft's.
  • I would like it if I could turn Grammarly loose on a draft and identify improvements and then go back and review all of the improvements in context. Many years ago, RightWriter worked this way. Yes, Grammarly gets you close to this but unfortunately misses the mark.
  • Jargon and Technical Terms: I would like it if Grammarly let me know that jargon and technology terms were destroying the prose. Some of this is there. Maybe there would be a way to put these together.
Grammarly helps you publish cogent, correct documents. It helps in every phase of writing. While drafting, it lets you know when you have obscured your message. In editing, it is brilliant at picking apart errors and suggesting remedies. This means it is an ideal product for production environments. Microsoft's tools fall short and seem to miss obvious errors. Our experience with White Smoke was OK. Grammarly is simply easier to use and more accurate. My one wish is that it had readability scoring so that we could better-set standards.
Munib Ahmed | TrustRadius Reviewer
Grammarly is best for Teams of all sizes. Whether your team is writing emails, articles, or something else entirely, Grammarly Business helps them produce work that reflects your business with polish and professionalism. it's easy to use use it. just need to add the extension. best for personal and professional use.
  • correct spelling
  • suggest more attractive words
  • best approach to interact with reader
  • sometimes cannot recognize few word
  • may be it can use dictionary for proper nouns
  • what about use it in word files
I love this software since it helps me correct my spelling and grammar. I've used numerous alternatives out there, but Grammarly is the best. The scenario where it Can cause problems is annoying autocorrects on names and other problematic areas, which is often frustrating when shooting off emails. overall best software.
Aniket Kumar Chaudhary | TrustRadius Reviewer

The language barrier is huge and limits negotiations or communications. With this application, you can break down this barrier and be able to communicate in the right tone. The redactions of official documents are made easier and more correct.

As a content writer, I have to write a lot of content which is in English, but I'm not a native English speaker; therefore, I have to be concise and keep an eye on English grammar. I have to deliver clear and easy-to-understand content to reach a wide audience. Grammarly really helped me a lot to achieve these goals.

You can deliver the right tone, make engaging content, correct your grammar, and, most important, check plagiarism with only one tool; that's Grammarly.

• You can use most of it with its free version. The free version is suitable for students.
  • Available in all formats such as Grammarly extension, Grammarly web, Grammarly app for desktop, mobile, and MS office.
  • You can view synonyms and the meaning of the words by double-clicking them if you use its Chrome extension.
  • Fantastic customer support. Grammarly is always ready to assist every customer ASAP.
  • Real-time analysis, Content management, and suggest and correct word usage in a specific place.
  • Somewhat expensive.
  • Grammarly itself does not guarantee 100% correctness.
  • Sometimes, it does not remove the marked error even when you have corrected it.
  • Its MS office version faces some issues with plagiarism detection. I have to go on the web version to use plagiarism detection.

Grammarly is one of the best software focused mainly on checking grammar, plagiarism, sentence structure, tone, and clarity. This software is a freemium tool, and you can use its most features in the free version; it will give you more than other similar alternatives.

Grammar makes you a better writer by finding and correcting up to 10 times more mistakes than your word processor. And learn about your mistakes so you can avoid them next time. It works with brands such as Dell, Microsoft, Magento, different Universities.

Being able to use Grammarly within other products e.g. web browsers and different devices is hugely helpful. It's great at helping you avoid grammatical errors and I love that it rates the tone and perception of your message.
  • Grammar proofing
  • Integrations with various products
  • Free or paid
  • Make the path from free to paid product clearer
  • I've used Grammarly for a long time but don't understand the full functionality of the product
Writing online in text boxes like this one! Hugely helpful.
We are using Grammarly for correcting our office documents and for communicating with other people by email. We have a good experience with Grammarly. It is solving our problems related to English and giving good working environment with our clients and making communication easy. So I can highly recommend Grammarly to others.
  • Great spell checker.
  • Corrects sentences properly.
  • Grammarly only works in the English language. It should also work in another language.
[Grammarly's] grammar checking is obviously better than other programmes. It is extremely easy to utilize this and anyone can utilize it without any problems. It's an efficient device because it can save your work naturally. I like the way that Grammarly's top-notch rendition is likewise acceptable.
Josh Rizzo | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use this as a double-double-check for emails and other marketing copy. It is also compatible with most websites and apps that I use across the internet which is really helpful.
  • Chrome integration.
  • Grammar review.
  • Accurate suggestions.
  • Doesn't always work using Brave Browser.
  • It doesn't work well for me using Gmail.
It's great for effortless grammar and spelling checks. The learning curve is almost zero which makes it really intuitive to jump in and start improving grammar and spelling.
Santosh Vijayan | TrustRadius Reviewer
Being in the content marketing team, we have a lot of professional writing to do. Be it captioning social media posts or writing long-form content or preparing presentations, grammar was very important, as much as sentence formation. Many times we tend to go with the flow and overlook such basic things which, when appearing on social media, can pull your brand down. Since we started using Grammarly across our team, we are able to do a really improved job of proofreading our text and preparing some really good sentences. That doesn't mean Grammarly is flawless.
  • Excellent spell check tool
  • Thesaurus: Select a word and get its synonyms.
  • Punctuation check
  • Plagiarism check
  • Improved sentence constructs
  • Thesaurus doesn't always work. You can sometimes select a word and nothing happens.
  • Some grammar related suggestions are really not relevant.
  • Vannot rely on it 100%. Proof-reading to some extent is recommended.
Grammarly is a step ahead of the traditional spelling and grammar checking tool that is in-built with Microsoft Word. There are scenarios when you have to write long-form content, and depending on your normal day-to-day way of speech, you tend to write content using the same tone and sentence constructs. There may be nothing "wrong" as such, but Grammarly points out those small glitches in your text, which you considered to be correct but is not really correct. One such area is the usage of "passive voice" in the sentences that I used to write. I find Grammarly really helpful here.
Ameya Pandit | TrustRadius Reviewer
I am a marketing executive and I look after the website content and blogs. So I have frequently use Grammarly to improve the content quality. Apart from it, Grammarly is also used for writing any type of content related to marketing like email marketing, writing in presentations, sales pitch,es and brochures.
  • User-friendly
  • Grammatically correct
  • Can be integrated with MS word.
  • Doesn't improve vocabulary.
  • Doesn't try to beautify the content by suggesting words.
  • Costly
It is well suited for writing basic content without grammatical mistakes. It suggests all kinds of mistakes related to grammar and also gives suggestions regarding how you can tweak the sentence. However, it doesn't help in beautifying the content by suggesting the usage of phrases or words which are suitable for the content.
Grammarly is implemented through email and our daily conversations. I love being able to use it to help students in our organization and having professional conversations with my coworkers. It is a great tool that is used in every communication software that we use on a daily basis. I do not know anyone who doesn't use it in our organization. It is too awesome to not use!
  • Fix Mistakes
  • Recommend Ways to Say Things Better
  • Reinforce Good Grammar
  • Recommending Incorrect Sentences
  • Recommending to change a phrase that doesn't need changed
  • Switching a word that doesn't fit
Grammarly is awesome when using emails and writing papers. Although, most of us do not use it in our teams chat. It may take too much time when using a simple chat message. If there was an automated feature (that could be turned on/off, that would be awesome!)
It helps us writing emails in the correct format, create documentation for different projects. With the help of Grammarly, the context will look rich with good new words and perfect grammar. It is so easy to use as it can be added as an extension to the browser and automatically detects the errors and provide a solution for them as well.
  • It automatically detects the error and provide a suggestion to resolve it.
  • Very easy to use by just adding as an extension to the browser.
  • Helps in rich content creation.
  • There is still scope for the use of Grammarly in different platforms.
  • Can include few more things in the free version.
  • It should be great if you could add sentence substitution.
While writing any professional emails to clients and helps a lot in suggesting some good words and perfect grammar, its real-time grammar correction is great. However, it doesn't work with all platforms this is something you can upgrade. Although it is quite a good extension to use with the browser for writing correct sentences.
Grammarly is being used across our entire company. It enables us to double-check our work and make our communication the best it can be. Grammarly helps us eliminate errors and find the proper words to express our style and tone. We would be lost without it, and recommend it for companies of any size.
  • Enables everyone, no matter their skillset, to be great writers
  • Confirms accuracy when communicating with clients
  • A great learning tool!
  • The pop-ups get in the way of some things
  • It doesn't always register the context and therefore makes recommendations that are incorrect
  • The paid versions are necessary to unlock more functionality
Grammarly ensures that whatever we write is accurate, sensible, and professional. We find it helpful within team collaboration documents as well. Without Grammarly, we would make far more mistakes than we do. Grammarly encourages us to learn about best-practice grammar rules as well. This education enables us to do our best work!
Grammarly is used extensively in my organization to ensure that we strive for best-in-class communication at our workplace, since [much of] our workforce and field engineers work from non-English speaking countries. Grammarly helps our field engineers to communicate with the most precision with our US counterparts and professional clients!
  • Grammar check.
  • Complex English and professional communication.
  • Spell check.
  • Support for more languages not just English.
  • Better and more advanced speech-to-text and proof-reading abilities.
  • Better and more integration capabilities with commonly used software in the industry.
  • Robust and advanced technical database.
I would recommend Grammarly to anyone who is looking for an English proofreading and correction solution not only for professional use but also for personal use! It is great software with quite a lot of out-of-the-box integration capabilities with your existing tech-stack that you're using; e.g. it has a great Chrome extension that works phenomenally. It also integrates with Microsoft Outlook with ease! All in all, it is great software to ensure that all of your non-English native speakers are equipped with advanced professional help all the time!
Alex Chapman | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use Grammarly for all the writing and online posting that I do. I am in the top 85-95% of users regarding the number of words it checks (i.e., relatively high). Grammarly is an excellent tool that has greatly improved my ability to write extensively and produce clear work over the past few years.
  • Simplifies language, removes extraneous words.
  • Suggests better wording.
  • Fixes typos and subject-verb tenses.
  • Overall, excellent proofing tools.
  • It would be really helpful to have an Apple mail interface.
If you are writing very long documents, it does useful things such as pick up where you have capitalized a word on one place but not the other.
It highlights overly complicated sentences.
It picks up words and suggests better alternatives.
It makes the final proofread a breeze.
It allows you to choose which spelling and punctuation variants you wish to use.
It emails me when there are new versions and installing is a doddle
I am using it to correct the grammar and vocabulary errors in my daily email and report writing. As far as I know, it is being used across the whole organization. It corrects the basic grammar and vocabulary errors and does a pre-proof reading. It helps me to make the report and emails fewer errors.
  • Easy to use. Automatically [activates] in web-based platform.
  • Effective. Will show the errors and the way to fix [them].
  • No cost [for] the basic functions.
  • Sometimes [it] will not work and I don't know the reason.
  • Not built-in with Microsoft Word.
  • Too sensitive even for some non-formal writing.
When you write an email that will be sent externally, it is very useful to eliminate your silly mistakes and give you corrections.
I use Grammarly [every day] as a chrome extension to help me with grammar mistakes and spelling mistakes.
  • Finding grammar mistakes
  • Finding spelling mistakes
  • Labels the incorrect word/phrase so it's visible to me immediately
  • Finding awkward wording
  • Adding missing punctuation
  • The button on the bottom right corner is sometimes annoying and I accidently click on it
  • Doesn't fix grammar mistakes in longer phrases (may be because I only use the free version though)
  • Limited features in free version
Appropriate for all kinds of communication.
Grammarly is used by select teams in our communications channels - primarily, this is writers, editors, and other content strategists/specialists. Because we deal with written content so frequently, Grammarly addresses our need to be continually improving our writing, grammar, punctuation, etc. Business-wise, this helps us to create more effective and persuasive content by writing our words with better clarity and usage from the get-go.
  • Integration with existing tools - Grammarly works in practically all text areas across your browser, including email and things like Google Docs, etc.
  • Quality control - the meat of Grammarly is checking your text and writing in real-time, directly as you type. Most of the time, Grammarly provides very accurate recommendations and quality checks on your text.
  • Analytics and reporting - Grammarly sends regular updates via email about your usage statistics and other detailed info. This type of reporting can be very helpful in tracking your progress over time.
  • User experience/technical issues on certain tools - in Google Calendar, for instance, Grammarly checks text that you type into the "Email Guests" modal window on calendar events. However, because of the way Google calendar works, if you right-click a word that Grammarly highlighted, the calendar event modal window will close and you will lose everything you typed. This is an extremely frustrating experience that has gotten me multiple times.
  • Incorrect suggestions - it doesn't happen that often, but occasionally Grammarly does highlight words or make suggestions that don't make sense or aren't optimal. I'm sure the Grammarly team is working continuously to improve the tool to make it smarter and smarter.
  • Lack of support on all platforms - although Grammarly works on most text areas you encounter online, there are still some areas it doesn't work - I'm not sure if this is an issue with Grammarly or not, but I haven't been able to figure it out.
Grammarly is a really great tool for writers or anyone that works with a lot of written text (editors, strategists, etc). It would also be optimal for simply anyone who wants to work on improving their grammar skills. One of the great things about it is that just by virtue of having it installed and seeing the suggestions and corrections it gives you as you type, you'll begin to learn tips over time as to how to use better grammar, even without any formal training.

If you are someone who doesn't write much, or deals primarily with imagery or video content (graphic design, video editor, etc), Grammarly wouldn't add much value (unless you just really want to increase your grammar skills on the side). Also, if you are a programmer, you may find it annoying if by chance you enter code into text areas that get checked by Grammarly, and it flags code syntax as having grammar errors (my assumption is this wouldn't happen in code editors, though).
Grammarly - A must-have tool for any professional. [I've been] using it for the last couple of years and it helps you checking spelling and grammar in almost all the apps installed on your device. It helps you everywhere in your daily tasks either you are creating a presentation, preparing some document, or writing/replying to your ton of emails. It always works like an assistant who reviews your work and helps and improves you[r writing] in an effective way.
  • Free - obviously the best part.
  • Work as a Chrome extension.
  • Spell check, grammar correction.
  • Easy to use.
  • Doesn't work with some platforms, like Excel.
  • Need to restart it sometimes.
Definitely, Grammarly is the best and must-have tool for any professional. It will help students also to write effectively and learn proper grammar. The free version has enough capability to handle your daily work. However, if possible then paying a small amount of 10-12 dollars can help you to achieve and learn a lot with the Premium version. The Premium version can have a vocab builder also for any user. From a business perspective also I believe it should be on the must-have tool list for everyone on the team.
We use Grammarly to edit and review sales page copy, newsletters, blog posts, and so much more. I ask all of my employees to use Grammarly when creating any kind of copy as it easily catches small errors that might otherwise get overlooked - especially when it comes to sentence structure and overall readability.
  • Shows misspelled words and offers alternatives.
  • Points out grammar that doesn't really work and offers alternatives.
  • Adds excellence to overall copy by making sure that grammar is correct.
  • I tried the paid version briefly and didn't find the suggestions to be as helpful as I'd hoped.
  • I really like the way Grammarly works overall - it would be nice if the free version gave just a little more attention to use of passive voice.
  • I'd love for Grammarly to point out whole sentences that are hard to read or comprehend.
  • I'd love for Grammarly to offer an overall sense of readability for one piece of copy.
Grammarly is well-suited to anyone on your team who's writing copy for your website, blog post, video descriptions, newsletters, and more. It's especially well-suited to anyone who isn't great with grammar or spell checking. It's also helpful for showing the overall tone of a message. It's not going to be appropriate when it comes to tracking readability overall or making a great piece of writing just because you're using it.
Grammarly is used by our content creation and marketing team mostly. This helps our team in spelling, grammar, and punctuation correction when they are working on blogs, website content or preparing a presentation. Being effective and easy-to-use software/extension is what makes Grammarly useful. You can also install this application on mobile
  • Highlights your spelling and grammatical errors with correct suggestions to choose from instantly.
  • Provides high quality sentence structure suggestions.
  • The ease at which anyone can use it by just adding an extension.
  • Free version can include more supportive features
  • AI can be improved as it gives silly suggestions often
  • It does not detect plagiarism 100%
  • It does not recognize localized words often
Grammarly is well suited anywhere that involves writing. It helps you with all your spelling mistakes and grammatical mistakes with suggestions sometimes which can be correct and sometimes not. Certainly I [would] avoid suggesting to anyone to use Grammarly for testing plagiarism as it does not detect 100%.
I use Grammarly personally at our organization. It is a key tool in my work as a copywriter and communications professional helping me maintain the standard of work needed and ensuring that my tone, spelling and grammar are on point. I've used it 3 times whilst writing this paragraph - winning!
  • Spell check.
  • Grammar check.
  • Tone.
  • Some errors out of context.
  • Issues with some areas of grammar.
  • Affects filling out forms negatively in some cases.
In every situation that requires writing. I use it on every platform that it can be used on and I have encouraged my entire team at work to use Grammarly. There are no situations that I can think of in which Grammarly would be inappropriate to use, although it does make filling out forms difficult sometimes.
It helps me not only write succinct and accurate emails but it's helping me right now! Anywhere that there is a text box, this little Grammarly is working hard. Grammarly helps us write professional correspondence, be it email or responding to a guest's review on Yelp or Google.
  • Spell checks
  • Punctuation checks
  • Grammar check for obvious reasons.
  • Ability to move the little pop-up "help" bubble. Sometimes I can't get past it to open up a text space bigger, instead, I keep unintentionally tapping on the Grammarly circle.
I don't think there is ever a space where having words spelled correctly, and punctuation in place would be less appropriate.
Grammarly is used by me as well as all colleagues. It helps to quickly check and correct spelling and grammatical errors as well as improve sentence structure and styling. Since we started using Grammarly, it has greatly improved communication both internally and externally while ensuring a higher level of professionalism in all our correspondence.
  • Quickly identifies misspellings and grammatical errors.
  • Good suggestions for changing the tone and styling of content in real time.
  • Works well in Chrome, Gmail, Outlook, and Word.
  • Can upload documents directly to the Grammarly platform to be analyzed.
  • Works with my mobile device keyboard.
  • Upload document feature currently does not support PDF files.
  • No other cons I can think of.
Grammarly is suited for practically anyone who communicates online or writes often. This includes emails, reports, casual messages, and even social media since it supports Facebook, Twitter, and Linkedin. Those who speak English as a second language will definitely benefit the most. However, if you primarily work with proofreading PDFs, then Grammarly may not be as practical since they currently do not support PDF files.