Grammarly

Grammarly Reviews

Do you work for this company? Learn how we help vendors

Ratings and Reviews

Aniket Kumar Chaudhary | TrustRadius Reviewer

The language barrier is huge and limits negotiations or communications. With this application, you can break down this barrier and be able to communicate in the right tone. The redactions of official documents are made easier and more correct.

As a content writer, I have to write a lot of content which is in English, but I'm not a native English speaker; therefore, I have to be concise and keep an eye on English grammar. I have to deliver clear and easy-to-understand content to reach a wide audience. Grammarly really helped me a lot to achieve these goals.

You can deliver the right tone, make engaging content, correct your grammar, and, most important, check plagiarism with only one tool; that's Grammarly.

• You can use most of it with its free version. The free version is suitable for students.
  • Available in all formats such as Grammarly extension, Grammarly web, Grammarly app for desktop, mobile, and MS office.
  • You can view synonyms and the meaning of the words by double-clicking them if you use its Chrome extension.
  • Fantastic customer support. Grammarly is always ready to assist every customer ASAP.
  • Real-time analysis, Content management, and suggest and correct word usage in a specific place.
  • Somewhat expensive.
  • Grammarly itself does not guarantee 100% correctness.
  • Sometimes, it does not remove the marked error even when you have corrected it.
  • Its MS office version faces some issues with plagiarism detection. I have to go on the web version to use plagiarism detection.

Grammarly is one of the best software focused mainly on checking grammar, plagiarism, sentence structure, tone, and clarity. This software is a freemium tool, and you can use its most features in the free version; it will give you more than other similar alternatives.

Grammar makes you a better writer by finding and correcting up to 10 times more mistakes than your word processor. And learn about your mistakes so you can avoid them next time. It works with brands such as Dell, Microsoft, Magento, different Universities.

Santosh Vijayan | TrustRadius Reviewer
Being in the content marketing team, we have a lot of professional writing to do. Be it captioning social media posts or writing long-form content or preparing presentations, grammar was very important, as much as sentence formation. Many times we tend to go with the flow and overlook such basic things which, when appearing on social media, can pull your brand down. Since we started using Grammarly across our team, we are able to do a really improved job of proofreading our text and preparing some really good sentences. That doesn't mean Grammarly is flawless.
  • Excellent spell check tool
  • Thesaurus: Select a word and get its synonyms.
  • Punctuation check
  • Plagiarism check
  • Improved sentence constructs
  • Thesaurus doesn't always work. You can sometimes select a word and nothing happens.
  • Some grammar related suggestions are really not relevant.
  • Vannot rely on it 100%. Proof-reading to some extent is recommended.
Grammarly is a step ahead of the traditional spelling and grammar checking tool that is in-built with Microsoft Word. There are scenarios when you have to write long-form content, and depending on your normal day-to-day way of speech, you tend to write content using the same tone and sentence constructs. There may be nothing "wrong" as such, but Grammarly points out those small glitches in your text, which you considered to be correct but is not really correct. One such area is the usage of "passive voice" in the sentences that I used to write. I find Grammarly really helpful here.
September 22, 2021

Grammarly- My Typing Master

Qamar Abbas | TrustRadius Reviewer
I have been using Grammarly to improve my English writing skills because I have to write articles on LinkedIn and some other platforms. Grammarly is one of the best solutions for me to take advantage of this awesome platform to write error-free content. It indicates and rectifies spelling, punctuation, and all other grammatical errors and also provides corrections.
  • Grammarly helps me in writing quality content.
  • I don't have a need for a proof reading my content in the presence of Grammarly.
  • Its interfacing with MS Office makes all my work error-free.
  • Grammarly's free version has some basic features.
  • Its monthly price plan is a little bit expensive.
  • Sometimes it seems that Grammarly replicates the content, which doesn't make sense.
Grammarly is suited where its premium version is being used because it provides all the features in the premium version. It is less suitable to use Grammarly's basic or free version from the business point of view, as it only allows for some basic features in the free version, which will not fulfill all business writing requirements.
Ameya Pandit | TrustRadius Reviewer
I am a marketing executive and I look after the website content and blogs. So I have frequently use Grammarly to improve the content quality. Apart from it, Grammarly is also used for writing any type of content related to marketing like email marketing, writing in presentations, sales pitch,es and brochures.
  • User-friendly
  • Grammatically correct
  • Can be integrated with MS word.
  • Doesn't improve vocabulary.
  • Doesn't try to beautify the content by suggesting words.
  • Costly
It is well suited for writing basic content without grammatical mistakes. It suggests all kinds of mistakes related to grammar and also gives suggestions regarding how you can tweak the sentence. However, it doesn't help in beautifying the content by suggesting the usage of phrases or words which are suitable for the content.
Josh Rizzo | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use this as a double-double-check for emails and other marketing copy. It is also compatible with most websites and apps that I use across the internet which is really helpful.
  • Chrome integration.
  • Grammar review.
  • Accurate suggestions.
  • Doesn't always work using Brave Browser.
  • It doesn't work well for me using Gmail.
It's great for effortless grammar and spelling checks. The learning curve is almost zero which makes it really intuitive to jump in and start improving grammar and spelling.
Grammarly is implemented through email and our daily conversations. I love being able to use it to help students in our organization and having professional conversations with my coworkers. It is a great tool that is used in every communication software that we use on a daily basis. I do not know anyone who doesn't use it in our organization. It is too awesome to not use!
  • Fix Mistakes
  • Recommend Ways to Say Things Better
  • Reinforce Good Grammar
  • Recommending Incorrect Sentences
  • Recommending to change a phrase that doesn't need changed
  • Switching a word that doesn't fit
Grammarly is awesome when using emails and writing papers. Although, most of us do not use it in our teams chat. It may take too much time when using a simple chat message. If there was an automated feature (that could be turned on/off, that would be awesome!)
Being able to use Grammarly within other products e.g. web browsers and different devices is hugely helpful. It's great at helping you avoid grammatical errors and I love that it rates the tone and perception of your message.
  • Grammar proofing
  • Integrations with various products
  • Free or paid
  • Make the path from free to paid product clearer
  • I've used Grammarly for a long time but don't understand the full functionality of the product
Writing online in text boxes like this one! Hugely helpful.
We are using Grammarly for correcting our office documents and for communicating with other people by email. We have a good experience with Grammarly. It is solving our problems related to English and giving good working environment with our clients and making communication easy. So I can highly recommend Grammarly to others.
  • Great spell checker.
  • Corrects sentences properly.
  • Grammarly only works in the English language. It should also work in another language.
[Grammarly's] grammar checking is obviously better than other programmes. It is extremely easy to utilize this and anyone can utilize it without any problems. It's an efficient device because it can save your work naturally. I like the way that Grammarly's top-notch rendition is likewise acceptable.
Alex Chapman | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use Grammarly for all the writing and online posting that I do. I am in the top 85-95% of users regarding the number of words it checks (i.e., relatively high). Grammarly is an excellent tool that has greatly improved my ability to write extensively and produce clear work over the past few years.
  • Simplifies language, removes extraneous words.
  • Suggests better wording.
  • Fixes typos and subject-verb tenses.
  • Overall, excellent proofing tools.
  • It would be really helpful to have an Apple mail interface.
If you are writing very long documents, it does useful things such as pick up where you have capitalized a word on one place but not the other.
It highlights overly complicated sentences.
It picks up words and suggests better alternatives.
It makes the final proofread a breeze.
It allows you to choose which spelling and punctuation variants you wish to use.
It emails me when there are new versions and installing is a doddle
We use Grammarly to edit and review sales page copy, newsletters, blog posts, and so much more. I ask all of my employees to use Grammarly when creating any kind of copy as it easily catches small errors that might otherwise get overlooked - especially when it comes to sentence structure and overall readability.
  • Shows misspelled words and offers alternatives.
  • Points out grammar that doesn't really work and offers alternatives.
  • Adds excellence to overall copy by making sure that grammar is correct.
  • I tried the paid version briefly and didn't find the suggestions to be as helpful as I'd hoped.
  • I really like the way Grammarly works overall - it would be nice if the free version gave just a little more attention to use of passive voice.
  • I'd love for Grammarly to point out whole sentences that are hard to read or comprehend.
  • I'd love for Grammarly to offer an overall sense of readability for one piece of copy.
Grammarly is well-suited to anyone on your team who's writing copy for your website, blog post, video descriptions, newsletters, and more. It's especially well-suited to anyone who isn't great with grammar or spell checking. It's also helpful for showing the overall tone of a message. It's not going to be appropriate when it comes to tracking readability overall or making a great piece of writing just because you're using it.
Janet Montgomery MMIS, BS, PMP®, ITIL®, | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use Grammarly when writing blog posts. It helps to ensure my articles are written grammatically correct. I love how it identifies errors, as well as [makes] suggestions to improve the sentence structures, spelling, word usage, and more. Very user-friendly and easy to use. The best part it's FREE!
  • Finds spelling errors
  • Makes suggestions on fixing spelling and grammar
  • Give ways to correct sentence structure
  • Free and works well
  • How about adding a buzzing sound to highlight errors
  • Great if there was a speaking version when error identified
  • Would be nice if they displayed examples on how to use words in a sentence
Grammarly is great for bloggers when creating articles for their blog. I especially love it inside of WordPress. The interface is easy to install with WordPress. Love how intuitive it is. I like how it rates your errors and gives the levels of correctness with emojis once errors are fixed.
I started using Grammarly a few years back when I saw it promoted on some social media sites. I am currently using it on my own, so it's not at a company level. It was so easy to start using it! It was a quick add-on to the browser. And the best part? It's FREE! Just some features, of course, but those are more than enough for personal use. I love that they do so much more than correcting the spelling! They can even categorize a text as friendly, hostile, or business, translating it to emoticons. How much clear can it get? I love it!
  • It identifies the most common spelling mistakes, but also grammatical and syntactic errors
  • It lets you know how your text sounds, so you can avoid being hostile or rude
  • It shows synonyms and definitions for words
  • Maybe just to correct some obvious errors without underlining and waiting for our confirmation
Can't think of any situation where Grammarly would not be appropriate. Even if we do write in a correct manner, and know our grammar, the speed that we sometimes have in our approach might end up being a trap for our texts. So I really believe that Grammarly is well suited in any situation! Great job, guys!
Marc Duke | TrustRadius Reviewer
Grammarly is used to check spelling and grammar on anything I do on Google be it Gmail, Google Doc, etc. It runs in the background picking up any spelling and grammar mistakes. I have the chrome extension running all the time so it picks up any mistakes as and when. I have used to proof documents too and it is very helpful indeed.
  • Spell check
  • Grammar suggestions
  • Alternative word selection
  • Picking up local spelling
  • Auto correction is too hasty
  • Support for multiple languages
It is very well suited for any regular word editing task, any time you are writing anything of any length or importance in a business setting Grammarly is the perfect tool outside of spellcheck in Word. It is relatively easy to use and to ensure words are [spelled] correctly and sentences are constructed in the correct [grammar.]
I use Grammarly for both personal and business usage because now it became a must-have for me whenever I'm writing to avoid typos and make sure that my writing is grammatically correct to keep a professional presence and avoid embarrassing spelling mistakes, I'm literally getting assistance from Grammarly as I'm writing this review. I can’t imagine working on my computer now without having Grammarly look after what I write whether it's an email to one of my clients or just a message on Facebook to a friend I rely on it to do its magic before I hit send.
  • The chrome extension enables it to work on almost all sites
  • It gives me peace of mind whenever I'm writing knowing that Grammarly is proofreading
  • Autocorrection on some basic small mistakes
  • Sometimes it doesn't show up when I'm writing on some websites because they're probably not supported
  • It doesn't save my common mistakes so I can check them and improve my English as a non-native speaker
Grammarly helps me when I'm communicating with clients because it saves me from the embarrassment of sending a grammatically incorrect email which will also make me look unprofessional, the rewrite for clarity feature is super helpful to deliver what I want to say more clearly by rewording to better and simpler words. I also rely on Grammarly when it comes to our blog posts to make sure they’re perfect for our readers, sometimes we outsource the content creation for our blog but whenever we receive the text delivery I make sure that it's original content by running it through the Grammarly plagiarism detector.
Andrew Folts | TrustRadius Reviewer
I have Grammarly enabled on the Google Chrome browser and use it to do quick spelling, punctuation, and grammar checking so that my communication looks more professional, and I don't make silly mistakes when working quickly. Frequent use cases include checking comments, blog posts, and other YouTube content (description, bio, etc).
  • Intuitive interface (works fluidly).
  • Reliable grammar and spelling checks.
  • Helpful writing tips to make content more concise.
Grammarly works well for experienced writers who need some double-checking for when they're working quickly or novice writers who make common grammatical or spelling mistakes. It's not a replacement for an actual editor. It won't tell you if, for example, your paragraphs are too long or you're repeating certain ideas too often, etc.
Danielle Garton | TrustRadius Reviewer
Everyone in our company has the ability to use the free version of Grammarly, but I have made a personal decision to buy the premium version because I write so much in my position. We use it when writing blogs, PR pitches, emails, client reports, and pretty much anything with words! Over the last few years, Grammarly has expanded its integrations so it can be used on Google Docs as well which has been helpful.
  • Catching misspellings.
  • Suggesting alternative words.
  • Recommending commas.
  • The "sentiment" indicator can be off sometimes. It will occasionally say something is aggressive sounding when it clearly isn't.
  • The free version will sometimes pop up with a "are you sure you want to send that email?" inquiry because it's trying to sell you the premium version.
  • Every once in a while, the synonym function doesn't show up when you double-click a word.
Grammarly is great! I would recommend it to anyone in a professional setting, honestly. It's especially helpful if you write a lot in your job. However, it also works on emails so even if you just use the free version for professional communication I think it is worth installing. I can't really land on a situation in which it wouldn't be appropriate if you use a computer! Unless the little red underlines bother you when you misspell something!
Grammarly is not actively used by my organization, but I use it for my job every day! I send out a ton of emails each day, and I also do some proofreading and editing for our leadership team from time to time, so it's very important to me that my writing is professional.
  • Grammarly does a great job at quickly identifying misspelled words and offering a correction. I use so many different software applications, and not all of them have spell-checked, so Grammarly is a life-saver!
  • One of my favorite tools that Grammarly offers is feedback for how my email might be interpreted. I approve and reject a lot of items throughout the day, and it's important that I include notes. Grammarly pops up to let me know how my message might sound to a reader, and I value that a lot because I want my messages to sound solution-focused, professional, and helpful.
  • I love the Grammarly browser extension. This means [its] services pop up wherever and whenever I'm typing!
  • I really have nothing bad to say about Grammarly. The only con I can think of is that sometimes it might not pop up, but I imagine they're actively improving on that functionality.
Grammarly offers to spell-check wherever and whenever you're typing, which is immensely helpful. They also provide tips for improved grammar, which is very important to me. And of course, my favorite is their "how you sound to readers" function that pops up. This helps me double-check my messages so I can make sure they are positive, professional, solution-focused, and helpful.
Preet Chovatiya | TrustRadius Reviewer
I was able to accelerate the work pace with Grammarly. Proofreading a comprehensive paper that would take at least 6 hours, with Grammarly it takes just 1 hour or sometimes even 10 minutes. This allowed me to expand my plan of work and resolved much of the issues I had with wrong phrase writing structures. I had to send emails frequently to the clients and company, so It helps me to write the correct email without any grammatical error within few minutes. It is a very effective tool for correct my inappropriate sentences and English words.
  • Real time grammar correction
  • High accuracy
  • Easy to use and understand
  • Chrome extension for work on any website
  • Customization
  • Limited features in FREE version
  • Not work on Google Docs
  • Sometimes the extension of Grammarly doesn't work properly
Grammarly is well suitable for those writers who are writing books, proofread books or documents, and as well as writing articles. It is the best tool for bloggers to manage their writing in such a manner without any grammatical errors. It is best suitable for email marketers too because it helps them to write a professional email without any sentence or phrase error for their clients.
Shorombo Mooij | TrustRadius Reviewer
I love Grammarly and I use it on both my phone as well as on my computer as a Chrome plugin. I am not a native English speaker as you can tell but with every message and email, I write I become better because of Grammarly. I find it such a pleasure to use and I am loving it but on my phone as well as on my desktop. It is both [a] grammar and spellchecking tool but also acts [as] a coach for me. I have absolutely no complaints. It is one of my favorite tools.
  • Making suggestions for better style
  • Correcting grammar and spelling
  • Coaching you on becoming a better and more effective writer
  • No suggestions :)
If you type a lot on your phone and you are unsure about your English, it is a must. [The] same goes for email and any other online typing as the Chrome plugin can help you with any of those. For people who want to become better writers, this is also a must-have.
Tsahi Tal | TrustRadius Reviewer
I'm using Grammarly for personal business use. Grammarly [helps] me by reviewing my emails and messages text and make sure that I don't have any spelling mistakes and that my Grammer is proper. Grammarly makes sure to remove [embarrassment] and other issues that can be caused by sending emails and [messages] with wrong grammar and spelling mistakes.
  • Understand the full grammar of my sentences
  • Understand basic spelling mistakes
  • Understand phrase spelling mistakes
  • If Grammarly could offer parallel words it could be amazing
  • I would love to get a report of where are my most common mistakes and how to fix them
Usually, when writing business emails and messages (not only, personal emails and [messages work] well as well) many mistakes can happen. Sometimes, small spelling mistakes, but sometimes it can get to heavier mistakes such that can get the wrong meaning in English (lost in translation issues). Grammarly makes sure that it won't happen and help blocking issues.
I am using it to correct the grammar and vocabulary errors in my daily email and report writing. As far as I know, it is being used across the whole organization. It corrects the basic grammar and vocabulary errors and does a pre-proof reading. It helps me to make the report and emails fewer errors.
  • Easy to use. Automatically [activates] in web-based platform.
  • Effective. Will show the errors and the way to fix [them].
  • No cost [for] the basic functions.
  • Sometimes [it] will not work and I don't know the reason.
  • Not built-in with Microsoft Word.
  • Too sensitive even for some non-formal writing.
When you write an email that will be sent externally, it is very useful to eliminate your silly mistakes and give you corrections.
It helps me not only write succinct and accurate emails but it's helping me right now! Anywhere that there is a text box, this little Grammarly is working hard. Grammarly helps us write professional correspondence, be it email or responding to a guest's review on Yelp or Google.
  • Spell checks
  • Punctuation checks
  • Grammar check for obvious reasons.
  • Ability to move the little pop-up "help" bubble. Sometimes I can't get past it to open up a text space bigger, instead, I keep unintentionally tapping on the Grammarly circle.
I don't think there is ever a space where having words spelled correctly, and punctuation in place would be less appropriate.
Ben Stonyer | TrustRadius Reviewer
It's used by individual employees at their discretion but I recommend it to all staff. It solves the problem of sending out comms that have spelling and grammatical errors that can make you look unprofessional and not careful about details. Its also a great proofreading tool for longer form documents as we work in Google Suite and Grammarly integrates really well to Google Docs.
  • Spell check is great.
  • Tone recognition is an excellent tool.
  • Integrates really well with Google suite products.
  • The UX can be a bit buggy and can get in they way of work flow.
  • It can hog memory a bit and slow down computer.
  • Hiding the paid features but highlighting where they could be used on the free version.
If you are sending out any comms to anyone, always run it through Grammarly. It is bound to show up something you didnt see. I wouldn't use it if I was sending casual emails to friends & families.
Dylan Caraker | TrustRadius Reviewer
Grammarly is being used only within the Marketing team. Specifically, it's used by Content and Demand Generation. We use Grammarly to get points across more efficiently, pointedly, and in a clear/concise manner. I personally use it when I am writing emails, doing a content edit, or while working with other teams.
  • It's widely accessible.
  • Premium is a great bang for your buck.
  • The free trial helps ensure your buying decision.
  • It can take a lot of time to edit large amounts of text.
  • Pricing isn't very apparent and can be confusing.
  • The grammar isn't always the best.
Grammarly can be used across all devices and has a built-in Chrome extension, so it's very easy to use. It is well suited for our Content team and less for me in demand gen, but I mainly use it to communicate with partners and the such. However, some suggestions Grammarly spits out are just plain wrong.
Jonathan Teixeira | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use Grammarly to make sure I don't sound or look dumb online. It catches tons of typos and misspellings. I am also a big fan of how it gives me a reading on my tone for a certain piece of writing. That makes sure that I'm communicating myself the way I'd like to be, and that I'm being clear while I do it.
  • Spell check
  • Typos
  • Tone of voice checker
  • Browser integration
  • Review tools
  • Desktop apps
Grammarly is perfect for almost everyone writing online. We could all do with someone looking over our shoulders and helping us make sure we are typing clearly and communicating effectively. Grammarly really helps make that happen. It's easy to use and very effective. I recommend it for pretty much everyone.

Grammarly Scorecard Summary

What is Grammarly?

Grammarly is a digital writing assistant that helps users write more clearly and effectively, boasting 30 million people and 30,000 teams as users. Presented as a product that scales across multiple platforms and devices, Grammarly works to enable users whenever and wherever they communicate.

Grammarly Competitors

Business$12.50Per User Per Month
Free$0

Grammarly Technical Details

Mobile ApplicationApple iOS, Android
Supported LanguagesBritish English, American English, Canadian English, Australian English