Grammarly Reviews

Shivbhadrasinh Gohil | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 23, 2020

Perfect grammar tool for the content writers!

Grammarly is used mainly by the content writers at Meetanshi and the support team.
Correct grammar and spellings use is important when we offer chat support to the clients. Humans are likely to make mistakes and so are team members at Meetanshi. But Grammarly comes to our aid.
Also, the content writers at Meetanshi make it a point to check the piece of article to avoid any mistakes before it is posted on the site.
  • Spelling mistake correction.
  • Punctuation mistake correction.
  • Sentence structure recommendations.
  • Plagiarism is not detected correctly.
  • The chrome extension can be improved.
  • GUI can be made better.
Grammarly is well suited for articles with medium length but not for technical blog posts or a 1500 words post.
Always got the best support from the team.
Read Shivbhadrasinh Gohil's full review
Hummer, Jenifer | TrustRadius Reviewer

Terrific Supplement to Traditional Spell-check

I personally use Grammarly for my own work as well as team projects. I know other people at the university who use Grammarly, but they all use it as an individual. I use Grammarly to double-check my spelling and punctuation. When I am typing quickly or overwhelmed with work, I often make minor errors. Grammarly helps me to find those errors without spending too much time.
  • Finding common grammatical errors that the built-in spell-check function does not catch.
  • Finding misspelled words that the spell-check function does not catch.
  • I can use Grammarly in my word processer and my web-browser. My writing is checked everywhere that I write.
  • Grammarly is not field-specific. There are often false alerts for clarity in writing. My field uses specific language for a purpose, so it's a little annoying to have to weed through all of the false alerts.
  • Grammarly does not recognize mathematics symbols so that creates false alerts that add extra time to my proofreading.
  • Grammarly does not catch all errors. It has gotten better over the years.
Grammarly is fantastic for general writing hints and grammar checks. It is best used as a supplement to a built-in spell-check function. I do not recommend Grammarly for writing that is very field-specific and could have a lot of symbols or jargon. I also don't agree with all of the writing suggestions so you do need to have a pretty sophisticated writing level to optimize your use of Grammarly.
I have not really used customer support. I used the FAQ page to see how to re-install Grammarly because it wasn't functioning properly in longer documents. It seems to be working better now, but it still does not always underline all of the issues in the actual text. Thus, it is sometimes difficult to know where the errors are located.
Read Hummer, Jenifer's full review
Charles A. Ratekin, MBA | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 24, 2020

My business writings display a Stroke of Grammarly

As a Customer Success Manager, I correspond regularly with my customers via email. My customer base is over 425, so over the course of a day, I will likely create or respond to 50+ emails. It is vital to my reputation and that of my company brand, that my words display a tone of professionalism and quality. Grammarly helps to ensure this goal is met by catching errors and suggesting improvements in my writing.
  • Spell checking & synonym suggestions (much better than MS Outlook).
  • Suggestions for clarity and simplification of sentences.
  • Punctuation corrections ( these are easy to miss when you write often and are in a rush).
  • Suggestions on improving the tone of the message.
  • When using the MS Outlook add-in, performance can be very slow on a PC with 8 GB of RAM and an I5 processor. So I keep a tab open in my browser to use the Grammarly web-app. I type my messages in there first, then copy the finished product over to MS Outlook. I do this at work only. At home, I have a PC with 16 GB of RAM and an I7 processor. I do not have these performance issues at home. Outside of these performance issues, I love the way Grammarly works.
  • I would love to see Grammarly work with Microsoft Teams. My office team works from home, so we communicate all day using Teams. We send quick messages back and forth all day, and I would love to have Grammarly catch my errors before I hit send.
Grammarly is well suited for all professional communications and for all notetaking. We use NetSuite to run our business and we log notes after every customer call. Grammarly ensures we leave clear, well-written notes for our professional colleagues. In these situations, it is always appropriate.
I have been using Grammarly for about 5 years. The product has evolved over that time and has gotten better and better every year. They are obviously listening to their customers and building the product around their needs.
Read Charles A. Ratekin, MBA's full review
Abhishek Singh Rao | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 20, 2020

Grammarly Review

I am in the digital marketing field for the last decade and I understand the importance of good content in this field! The expression of our work is dependent on the content and for the betterment of the content, there is no better one than Grammarly!

In my current company, we have 25 people who are in the digital marketing team, I have seen everyone using Grammarly.

Also, people from other departments in our company who are in high positions, I have also seen them using Grammarly.

Grammarly has many characteristics but the main problem we have seen with Grammarly is that we are not native English speakers in India, so there are many words in our conversation and in such a way that if they cannot be improved by the ways of a native English speaker but in such cases, Grammarly gives us the corrections for improvement and if we adopt it then the whole sense of conversation changes.
  • Grammarly detects grammar and punctuation mistakes.
  • It detects plagiarism.
  • It also give insights about readability score, sentence-length and so on.
  • It provides both free and premium plans.
  • It provides browser extensions for Chrome and Safari.
  • In Grammarly, we can set the goals according to audience, formality, domain, tone and intent.
  • As a lot of Indians use Grammarly, I feel that It along with British, American, Australian, and Canadian English, It should provide editing for Indian English too.
  • Still doesn't understand the fiction content.
  • It's very good for an automated checker, but we still need to proofread our writing by ourselves.
After using Grammarly, I am feeling that we can't rely on Microsoft Word’s grammar check. Grammarly is much better than that, it’s much closer to Word’s grammar check than it is to a real proofread by a native English speaker. Simultaneously I am also feeling that It has room to work for non-native English speakers.
Read Abhishek Singh Rao's full review
Joysurjya Hagjer | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 04, 2020

Grammarly--A Must Have!!

I work as a content manager. On a daily basis, we handle a lot of textual content in the form of blogs, travelogues, Facebook posts, etc., and Grammarly helps us make grammatical edits, construct better sentences, improve tense agreement, and also check for plagiarism. Since we handle a lot of content daily, it would be very time-consuming to read through every sentence for spelling errors, incorrect tenses, and other grammatical errors. But with the help of Grammarly, we cut down the time to make edits by almost 80%.
  • It helps correct incorrect punctuation and adds those that are missing.
  • The option of suggestion of synonyms and better alternative words to enhance the readability is amazing.
  • The plagiarism checker is a really great way to make sure you aren't pushing out copied content.
  • It marks out sentences in the passive tense to be changed. This could be reworked as passive sentences aren't incorrect all the time.
  • There are many non-English proper nouns that Grammarly does not recognise due to those words not being in its dictionary.
  • Alongside the plagiarism checker, a checker for heavily rephrased content could also be a great addition.
Right about now, I would say that Grammarly is the best textual editing tool out there. No content writer can do without it. I even use it to make my monthly reports and presentations better and more pleasing before I showcase them to my team. Hopefully, in the near future, the plagiarism checker gets more stringent.
Customer Support for Grammarly is great. They respond swiftly to issues raised, even when it is a holiday or the holiday season.
Read Joysurjya Hagjer's full review
Andrea Vahoua | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 02, 2020

Love It!!

I use Grammarly not only with EVERYTHING business but also with anything I send personally. It helps me control my voice in emails and all web documents to my clients and candidates. It is a no brainer and so easy to use without even thinking, I know anything I send will be corrected.
  • Integration with G Suite.
  • User interface very easy to use.
  • Targeted accurate results.
  • Glitches with corrections quite a bit.
  • Will make you go to their page to assess certain errors.
  • Consistency.
We all make grammatical mistakes all of the time when typing so anyone and everyone can use this and find benefits. The feature of telling you how your writing will be perceived is brilliant as well and has helped me several times to tailor my reaches and emails. Great tool!
I have never had any issues with Grammarly but I see the chat box all the time so I know they are readily available at the drop of a hat to help if needed. It is a no brainer and the free version is full of great features. For sure worth the 10-second download!
Read Andrea Vahoua's full review
Margaret Wood | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 22, 2020

Not Just A Grammar Checker!

As an HR Director, I distribute volumes of notifications, bulletins, etc. Accuracy and professionalism are paramount in these communications. Grammarly has helped me hone my writing skills, composition, punctuation, and spelling. My documents are always clean and professional.
  • Grammarly checks spelling in various dialects, i.e., American English, British English, Australian English
  • Grammarly checks subject-verb agreement
  • Grammarly checks for passive sentences
  • Grammarly checks for over-used words and suggests alternatives
  • Grammarly can check for plagiarism
  • Grammarly checks for grammar
  • Grammarly checks for clarity
  • Grammarly rates documents for ease of communication
  • None at this time
Grammarly is a useful tool in most scenarios.
Grammarly continues to add new functionality that is very helpful in composing the best communications.
Read Margaret Wood's full review
Jayson Gumanid | TrustRadius Reviewer

Grammarly Review

Grammarly is used as a part of our marketing and sales department. It is the tool we use in checking grammar for our digital content for website and email communication with our clients. It saved us a huge amount of time having to double and triple-check content for quality purposes. We also understand how important well-written email compositions are in building rapport with our clients. Grammarly, indeed, helped us in those areas.
  • Sentence suggestion. When Grammarly thinks your sentence can be expressed in a shorter and more concise way, it will give you that suggestion.
  • Readability. Grammarly can give you points on your composition's readability and tone.
  • Grammar can be tricky and phrase-suggestion is very helpful. Simply taken, if you're out of a better term, Grammarly will give you the better one.
  • Basic grammar and spell-check is just priceless. It highlights the mistakes and gives you suggestions. Helpful when you are forgetful with words.
  • Anti-distraction option. Maybe with a click of button mistakes and suggestions won't appear just yet until I click a button that tells the app to check everything. That way, we can continue with our thought-process without getting distracted every mistake we make.
  • A desktop app maybe. I normally compose on a notepad, and it would be nice if it can be checked by Grammarly via the app.
  • An option to save snippets or parts of my composition. And an ability to save snippets with sources. That would make my life easier as a content creator.
Composing emails to clients and generating web-based content are the two tasks I mainly use Grammarly for. And that is the most appropriate scenario for it. I could not think of a scenario where you wouldn't want to use Grammarly except maybe if you don't want to get distracted by the suggestions.
It helped a lot. Business-process wise and learning-as-an-individual wise. I get to learn better ways to express ideas everyday, and that is something worth mentioning.
Read Jayson Gumanid's full review
Brenda Christian | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 26, 2020

Get your words out with Grammarly

I use Grammarly for my business. It is invaluable while writing listing descriptions, social media posts, and emails. I love the way that it prompts me to utilize my punctuation correctly and identifies words that may be spelled incorrectly. It has been of tremendous help while writing additional terms into contracts.
  • identifies misspellings
  • prompts for correct punctuation
  • rates your verbiage as to the tone
  • prompts for complete sentences
  • comma is not needed before and in a list
I recommend that all my agents install the Grammarly Chrome extension. It's very important that we come across as well-spoken in all our written work.
I have not had to use customer support, but I have seen several upgrades to the product that have improved my writing skills.
Read Brenda Christian's full review
Arun Gopalaswami | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 24, 2020

Go Grammarly! Be a writing superhero.

I use Grammarly in an individual capacity. I use their desktop version. Every single content that I create, be it a marketing asset, website copy, and even important email, gets a Grammarly treatment before it is published. What I realised over time is I have gotten significantly better in my writing and I’m seeing fewer errors that I need to fix.
  • Grammarly’s free version does a fantastic job in making sure any and all embarrassing mistakes are corrected before your content can be shared with the outside world.
  • The premium version of the product gives the users an opportunity to fix advanced errors.
  • Grammarly’s validation using meta attributes such as tonality, intent, audience etc. is quite unique and makes the content sound right for the audience it is created for.
  • Grammarly still does not integrate properly in some web apps such as Canva. While there is a way to overcome the limitation by leveraging the desktop version it would be good if this was fixed.
  • The keyboard-based integration in mobile apps is not good. I did not find it very intuitive and free-flowing like the desktop version.
  • The Mac app feels clunky and it could be lighter weight.
Grammarly is best suited for people who are in the job of creating professional content, be it email, a blog, website copy. Using Grammarly's editor they can quickly draft the content and fix issues with the help of inline prompts that Grammarly provides. Besides checking for typos and grammatical errors it can also check for things like tone, intent etc. Grammarly offers their solution as third party keyboard add-on to use in mobile devices. While it is good to have it is not a very good when creating long form content. Also, it may not be a useful tool when drafting contractual/ legal content.
Read Arun Gopalaswami's full review
March 26, 2020

Good for already strong writers

Individuals use Grammarly on their own accord across the entire organization. It's not used by the majority of team members, but a lot of us use it and recommend it to each other. There's a significant amount of written communication that happens internally and externally, and using Grammarly assists this communication. Grammarly is our first line of defense for spelling and grammar mistakes.
  • Learns commonly used phrases
  • Flags grammar errors
  • Picks up writing tone in larger messages
  • Tracks your writing habits
  • Browser extension logs out frequently / requires frequent sign-in
  • All or nothing editing--if you're writing something that's casual and doesn't need perfect grammar, you'll still see the red lines marking it as wrong.
  • Starts flagging grammatical errors before full sentences are written
If you're already a strong writer and just want a backup check for small things here and there, Grammarly is a great tool. Having a solid understanding of sentence structure and spelling helps me understand why words or sentences get flagged and makes it easy to correct. If you need more robust support, it may not be enough, since you'd be missing context and not all of its suggestions make sense to accept.
I have not found a need to reach out to the customer support team. The tool itself has never crashed or caused additional problems. I believe not needing to reach out to customer support is a positive indicator that their application works well!
March 20, 2020

A robust proofreading tool

Grammarly is used by everyone in my department. It helps us well right from the beginning till the end of the day. All the emails you write, content you push, we get some suggestions from Grammarly on improvising the content. It not only gives better vocabulary suggestions but also finds grammatical errors. It has a Chrome plugin, which can be used in all operating systems.
  • Catching grammatical errors.
  • Recommending better vocabulary.
  • Easy to use and implement.
  • Some deep-check grammatical errors like subject verb agreement, etc.
I will definitely recommend it to anybody, regardless of which department they work in. It's a robust tool for proofreading and it has a free version as well. Not sure if Grammarly is well suited for legal drafts and agreements, the legal language tends to be always different. However, you can still correct basic mistakes there too.
March 31, 2020

Grammarly for research groups

Grammarly is being used to send emails, for publishing papers and for making revisions. The entire organization is using it. It addresses the problem of having incorrect grammar or spelling especially for international researchers.
  • Finds errors
  • Explains errors
  • Gives feedback
  • The free version doe not detect plagiarism
  • The free version is limited in what it can do along with what features it has
  • It doesn't always detect errors, sometimes you need to refresh
Grammarly is good for editing things quickly, finding errors and revising them in one click. Grammarly isn't the best for making things sound better. It works best for spelling and grammatical errors. Grammarly works really well when it is downloaded to the Chrome browser since it will find mistakes when filling things out online.
Grammarly has been easy to download and use. It has also been free which is a nice perk. Sometimes it won't detect errors right away which can be frustrating. Overall, it is pretty dependable.

About Grammarly

Grammarly in San Francisco provides its grammar improvement and AI driven writing assistance platform, available on free or paid premium and business plans.

Grammarly Technical Details