VEGAS Pro Reviews

Joseph Benton | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 03, 2020

VEGAS Pro: More Than Worth What It Cost

This is a "Swiss Army Knife" of video editing programs with the capability to inexpensively add in Blu-Ray mastering as well as mix a live audio and video mix of media. Typically, we use it for producing web media for YouTube, Facebook and our websites for ourselves and customers as well as for educational purposes. We need something that will accept any format of media and turn it into something that can be published anywhere.
  • YouTube/Facebook videos from any source material including graphics.
  • Produce the highest quality videos for broadcast up to 4K resolution.
  • Creating video of any size for HTML output when imported into Articulate Storyline.
  • VEGAS Pro does not accept or import SVG graphics which is sad.
  • At times VEGAS Pro does not work well with the add-ons sold with it.
  • Despite its ease of use, some Hollywood-style effects are a real challenge.
There is not any situation I can think of where you can't use VEGAS Pro to solve a problem which calls for video. Many times I use VEGAS Pro to improve and master audio files for output or use it only for converting one type of audio or video to another. Where it may not really be appropriate is for 8K video editing since it does not handle that specification.
Read Joseph Benton's full review
Chuck Graudins | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 10, 2020

Solved all our video and editing needs, and dramatically increased ROI

We use Vegas Pro exclusively for all of our audio and video editing, production, and mastering. It's really the perfect solution for everything we need to do in this multimedia world. We produce several advertisements for our social media accounts, we've edited thousands of professional voiceovers for a national announcer, assembled and edited three films, and are now in the process of editing the second season of our paranormal investigative television show called The Underpresence. With the exception of very few hiccups, which may be my underpowered PC, it's been incredibly stable. We switched from Premiere Pro due to its frequent crashes. We feel Vegas Pro has the most intuitive interface and is compatible with filters and effects used industry-wide.
  • Very stable, less crashes than the competition.
  • Intuitive interface, easier to learn.
  • Priced fairly for a buyout. I hate subscriptions.
  • Once in a rare while, the program will crash. Hoping an update will resolve this.
  • I'd love to see more professional titling built into the next version.
  • Also would like to see more modern transitions.
  • Would love to see an integration of an option to render video to YouTube's current video codec.
Very well suited for single and multitrack audio and video projects. Unlimited audio and video tracks. A standalone audio recording program seems to be more useful for recording and mastering audio, but the mixdown always happens in Vegas Pro.
Read Chuck Graudins's full review
Jonah Dempcy | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 25, 2020

Quick, Easy To Use For Basic Video Editing

VEGAS Pro is used by myself and by our user experience designer for video editing. I most recently used VEGAS Pro for a short advertisement video for Instagram. I also use VEGAS Pro for editing YouTube video presentations and splicing together screencasts to demonstrate bugs and UX functionality. I find VEGAS Pro to be invaluable when I need to quickly edit video for any number of use cases, ranging from production-level advertising and educational videos to product demos and bug fixes.
  • Video Editing - This is where VEGAS Pro shines. I love the user interface and hotkeys. I find it much more intuitive and easy to use than perhaps its main competitor, Adobe Premiere. Many of the user interface design choices will ultimately be up to user preference, but in my case, I find VEGAS Pro intuitive and easy to use.
  • Suite Integration - I went to school for audio engineering and had a lot of experience using Sound Forge, which is part of the same suite of software and has a lot of the same user interface design.
  • Additional video transitions would be a nice improvement.
  • Mac support would be great. I do my video editing on a Windows PC, so it's not a big deal for me, but it would be nice to have Vegas installed on my MacBook Pro so I could edit on the fly when traveling.
VEGAS Pro is excellent for beginning video editors who do not have experience with Avid or Premiere, both of which are far more complex. VEGAS Pro is also good for more experienced video editors who want to do simpler tasks. I would be less likely to use VEGAS Pro for a huge project or one which results in hours of video (like a feature film). However, for easy editing video ads, YouTube videos, tutorials, product demos, and the like, VEGAS Pro is my go-to video editor of choice simply because everything I do is so much faster in it. Say I want to pan and zoom—I can do this incredibly easily in VEGAS Pro, while it would take me far longer in Premiere. The learning curve for VEGAS Pro is just so much less steep than other more robust video editing apps and suites, while still offering more features and a professional level of quality not found in consumer-grade video editing apps like iMovie.
Read Jonah Dempcy's full review
Emily Keener | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 18, 2018

VEGAS Pro - Simple but Powerful Video Editor!

I had bought a license for VEGAS Pro in grad school and I have since kept it up on my computer. Since we do not have an institutional license for a specific video editing software, VEGAS Pro has come in handy for many projects where I need to trim or edit a video, add a text overlay, or splice audio.
  • Simple timeline video editor.
  • Basic clip transitions.
  • Easy audio splicing.
  • Links to programs like Audacity for audio editing.
  • Seems to be intended for novice video editors and basic projects (doesn't handle audio editing, for example).
  • Many of the clip "effects" are amateurish (crackling screen, screen spinning in a spiral, etc.).
  • Zooming into portions of the screen/panning can be cumbersome.
VEGAS Pro makes it VERY easy to make simple edits to a video - trimming, blending elements of different video and audio clips, layering text on screen. Although I wish it had a captioning feature and a few other elements that products like Camtasia have, ultimately I am a big fan of how easy it is to use VEGAS Pro. It does more than YouTube's video editor, but is easier to use.
Read Emily Keener's full review
Vince Koegle | TrustRadius Reviewer
May 18, 2018

Vegas Pro - easy to use, robust video/audio editing

We utilize Vegas Pro exclusively in our production department. Vegas allows us to maintain consistent quality of the audio productions we deliver to clients. Templates, presets, and ease of use make our team more efficient.
  • We use Vegas nearly exclusively for audio production. The editing tools are easy to use. The interface is laid out well, so it's intuitive.
  • Plugins are readily available and easy to use when needed.
  • Since Sony sold Vegas, the customer service has taken a decline...at least in my experience. I've had almost no success in reaching anyone by phone and the email support is not very quick.
  • It also seems that I experience more instances of Vegas closing without notice.
  • It would be nice to have the option to save project files in formats that can be opened by other editing suites.
Vegas Pro is a great option for video/audio editors, videographers, and filmmakers. If you're only doing audio production, it's a bit of overkill. It has a host of features you won't end up using...and potentially add to the visual clutter in the interface.
Read Vince Koegle's full review

About VEGAS Pro

MAGIX Software headquartered in Berlin offers the VEGAS Pro line of video editing applications which combines the company's Sound Forge audio editing suite and a wide range of movie production features and effects.