How does Ascentis stack up to other HRIS?
- HR, Recruiting, Onboarding, ESS, MSS
Overall Satisfaction with Ascentis HR
- Recruiting/Onboarding - We typically hire candidates site unseen and send them overseas to work. Ascentis allows us to capture information on the candidates from the recruiting phase all the way through the onboarding phase of the hiring process.
- Extremely Customizable HRIS - The ability to customize and add tabs to the HR side of Ascentis provides endless opportunities to capture any and all data that needs to be tracked and/or reported on for employees.
- The Benefits enrollment, open enrollment and carrier connect features of the system have streamlined the Benefits Administration process in my organization to a point where it requires very little time and attention. Once the benefits are set up through Setup Manager and tied to the benefit provider through Carrier Connect, there is very little maintenance or attention required.
- The organizational structure of Ascentis and segregated nature of the system and system support can be confusing. For example, if I need assistance with onboarding an employee it is not often clear who I should contact for assistance. The company seems to be divided by Ascentis HR, Ascentis Payroll, Ascentis TimeKeeping, and Ascentis Recruiting, It would be nice to have one point of contact for customer support for the entire Ascentis system rather than having multiple points of contact that are often changing.
- I attending the Ascentis User Conference in 2013 during which we were told that Ascentis HR would be transitioning to a new platform in early 2014. Since that conference, I have received no communication from Ascentis as to the status of the transition and we are still on the Remote Desktop platform.
- During the User Conference 2013 there was no one from Ascentis that was familiar with the Onboarding side of Ascentis. I got the impression that we were one of very few customers utilizing the onboarding feature and the Ascentis staff was not aware of the features and were unable to answer any questions. In fact, I felt like I was answering their questions rather than them answering mine.
- Would love to see the system be more flexible for international use. The system does not allow international contact information to be entered and does not allow for selection of any country locations other than US and Canada. We have had to work around these limitations.
- The Attendance tracking is somewhat limited in that it does not allow for a policy which awards PTO in lump sums at multiple intervals throughout the year. It allows a policy where a flat amount is awarded once a year or where the PTO is accrued on a regular basis only.
- Improved employee communication and customer service. Empowered employees to keep their own data current and relevant
- Streamlined the recruiting, benefits administration and onboarding processes to significantly reduce the amount of time required by HR. Reduced the HR staff by 1.5 FTE as a direct result of implementation of Ascentis HR and Ascentis Recruiting.
- Significantly impacted the companies ability to maintain compliance with Affirmative Action requirements.
There are no deal breakers with Ascentis in my opinion. The system is very flexible and allows for work arounds where limitations exist.
Update: In the last year and a half Ascentis has been unable to provide electronic transmittal of benefit information through their system in a timely, accurate and/or consistent manner. This is a key component of any HRIS in my opinion and the failure to provide this feature (which we are paying for) has been a very large disadvantage for our company. If a timely, accurate and consistent automatic transmittal of benefit information to benefit plan providers is important to your organization, I would not recommend Ascentis at this time.
Ascentis Feature Ratings
Using Ascentis HR
- New Hire Benefits Enrollment and Open Enrollment
- Managing Employee changes to personal information
- Recruiting and Onboarding new hires
- Benefits Management through Carrier Connect electronic feed of all benefit changes
- We track base passes and housing assignments for our expatriate employees
- We track Authority levels for all employees (e.g.: spending authority, authority to approve travel, credit card limits, contract authority levels, etc.)
- We track required annual training and required document distributions (e.g.: Summary Plan Descriptions, 401k eligibility notifications, etc.)
- Assuming the flexibility remains the same with the new platform that will be rolling out this year, the uses are unlimited.
Evaluating Ascentis HR and Competitors
- Product Features
- Product Usability
Ascentis HR Implementation
Ascentis HR was implemented in the initial phase. This was a smooth process done by in-house HR staff which allowed training on the system to occur at the same time as implementation. The Customer Support was excellent through this process
Carrier Connect was the next phase of implementation. This process was slower than I had hoped and required me to keep on top of Customer Support throughout the process. Once I escalated the issues to the next level, the implementation went much quicker and follow-up improved.
Ascentis Recruiting and Onboarding was the final stage of implementation. This side of the system is more complex and involved, and took longer to implement. I got the impression during this phase of implementation that there was a definite disconnect between HR Recruiting and the rest of the Ascentis products.
Ascentis HR Support
Immediate help available
Support cares about my success
Quick Initial Response
Using Ascentis HR
Like to use
Easy to use
Technical support not required
Quick to learn
Feel confident using
- Adding user defined tabs to Ascentis is extremely easy and provides extreme flexibility to the system.
- Reporting is simple and can be performed on any field in the system including the custom tab fields.
- Benefit set up can is cumbersome and can be difficult depending on the complexity of the benefit. The premium fields in benefit setup do not always conform to the way the benefit providers actually bill which can make it difficult to establish accurate premium rates in Ascentis.