Ascentis Reviews

Karen Halladay SPHR, SHRM-SCP, CCP, CTM profile photo
H2R-Solutions, LLC is a human resources consulting company. We support Ascentis clients through their implementation. We can support clients through the entire suite of Ascentis products.

Ascentis HR is a great solution for a human resources department to go paperless. The software is intuitive and you have the ability to customize it to meet your needs. The reports tab is extremely robust and allows you to slice and dice data however you need it. The compensation tab is extremely useful as it allows you to set up ranges and get compa-ratios for each position. It also breaks down the compensation by the hour, day, pay period, month and year. The benefits tab is very comprehensive and allows you to keep track of the benefits and associated costs easily.

I highly recommend Ascentis HR as a robust inexpensive solution.
  • Reporting capabilities
  • Compensation tracking and analysis
  • Benefit management and cost containment
  • Login through a remote desktop
Ascentis HR is a great system to house employee information which will allow any company to go paperless. It is totally customizable and you can add unlimited attachments to the system. You can set up custom tabs to track anything (i.e. asset tracking). The system is set up in a way to assist companies with their corporate compliance responsibilities.
Read Karen Halladay SPHR, SHRM-SCP, CCP, CTM's full review
Sherry DesRosier profile photo
August 09, 2019

Ascentis Review

Ascentis is used as an HRIS for all staff by approximately 14 HR professionals.
  • The web-based product is being advanced and seems to be moving in a direction where a web-based product could be utilized in place of the remote desktop.
  • Customizable fields and tabs. Ascentis has a significant quantity of customization which is very necessary for the complexities within our organization.
  • User password reset. It is very quick and efficient to change a user's password when they are locked out (as long as the remote desktop is already open).
  • It should be far easier to rehire an individual with prompts as to the fields that require editing. Currently, there are multiple steps and screens/tabs and no prompts at all. If one field is missed on the employment tab, the employee will continue to show as being terminated on reports which can raise a lot of questions and takes more time/effort to correct.
  • The Employee Manager window should be expandable to enlarge. It is small and often hard to read for aging eyes. Lack of this simple feature makes the product also appear quite antiquated.
  • Information in the fields and tabs within Employee Manager should not be so easy to accidentally overwrite. Lack of a simple warning again makes the Ascentis product seem antiquated.
  • Lack of follow up follow through when there are issues. We often take issues to Ascentis Support and often, the resolution takes days or weeks and has been seldom satisfactory. We often have to send several reminders for assistance before we get the action we need. Frequent turnover of account reps also seems to be an area of concern.
  • Using a remote desktop source or RDP over SSL is also antiquated. A well-secured web-based product would be far more user-friendly and simpler to access.
  • Limited space on remote desktop. Having to move attachments over to the remote desktop to upload to an employee profile can be a hassle. I have moved several attachments over to upload, been faced with the typical HR interruptions and ended up have to re-attempt a fee days later only to find that some of my attachments are randomly missing. Then having to go back and identify what was deleted due to space constraints and start the entire process over.
I think in a very simple, very small organization, Ascentis may be a decent choice. However, there is simply too much room for error in entries for a larger organization that depends on a higher percentage of correct data and has many users, so checks and balances are fewer.
Read Sherry DesRosier's full review
Karen Sinette, PHR, SHRM-CP profile photo
We use it as our HRIS and Payroll system. We also use Novatime for timekeeping and we have the training module, however, we haven't launched it to all of our employees to date.
  • Ease of employee entry and changes.
  • Great record keeper with the ability to upload docs.
  • The look, feel and ease of use of ESS is awesome.
  • Running reports is easy but saving in different formats and on drives away from the Ascentis server is not easy.
  • Additional fields that can be modified.
  • Flags when things should be double-checked, for example, when rehiring employees we must remove all termination history.
I already have recommended it.
Read Karen Sinette, PHR, SHRM-CP's full review
Shirley Cimino profile photo
We use Ascentis for HR1, payroll, timekeeping, and recruiting. It has been an easy program to use and after using many different Payroll and HR systems throughout my career, I found that this was the easiest program for us. I have used HR1, payroll, and timekeeper, and all are fairly easy to use if you have used any other HR/Payroll system before. We have 9 Warehouses and all of them use the timekeeper for our 300+ hourly employees. It's nice to have both the finger readers and the web-based system.
  • This program has a great interface between the HR1, timekeeper and payroll.
  • The payroll system makes it easy to process payroll and what your not familiar with, they have the community to help you.
  • I have used other payroll systems and they have been extremely complicated to get files from external systems. The Ascentis programs makes it so easy that you think you are missing something, you're not. It really is that easy.
  • I really like the reports that we receive from the payroll system when we do a calculation. They automatically offer an Excel file and a PDF for the payroll register. This makes auditing the payroll so easy.
  • I have had really good experience with customer service via email. I know what needs to be done with payroll and when I ask them to do something, they always will check things for me and do the changes needed immediately.
  • This system works with those who are new to payroll and those who have been doing payroll for years.
  • Recently, we began to have delays in getting the payroll calculated, but it seems to be fixed.
  • I know my HR partners sometimes have issues with employees showing up in the timekeeper. They usually have to have Ascentis Timekeeper customer service assist them.
  • They currently do not process payroll in other countries like Canada.
For Payroll. It's so easy to process payroll. The reports are great and the ability that you as a processor have to make changes in Ascentis is awesome. I use the calendar quite often. I like that if you need to process payroll and have a check created, it can easily be done without having to process an entire payroll. On the other hand, if you need to do an off-cycle payroll, you set it up yourself and process. You do not need to wait for customer service to do it for you.
Read Shirley Cimino's full review
Alice Winkler profile photo
July 23, 2019

Great Product

It is used company-wide. We use ESS, and managers have access to ESS to view their subordinate's profile. I use HR and Payroll. We also just implemented Performance Management.
  • Vacation requests from employees - calculates carryover (when shopping no other system I saw did that.)
  • Online paystub access
  • Online payroll calculater for employees
  • I think some of the functionality could be better. For example, I mentioned carryover in vacation was a great feature. But our carryover expires on 3/31 and Ascentis does not deduct vacation time from carryover. So employees need to calculate how much carryover they have left.
  • On the Employee Benefit summary page, it sets up the initial benefit enrollment date and premium date, but if the premium changes, the date stays the same so it is misleading.
  • It would be nice if bonuses carried over to payroll the same way that payroll changes do. I have to input bonuses into payroll, and then for record keeping reinputting them into Ascentis HR.
  • As an administrator, when I need to click on overdue vacation requests in the MyTeam box, there should be an initial summary of the dates being requested in addition to or in place of the date initiated. Also, there should be an indicator on where to open it . . . I often click the wrong place and go to the employee leave page, rather than the leave request.
  • In the HR summary page, there should be a column for term date.
  • There should be a mechanism to track the history of an employee's manager. When a manager terminates or an employee is reassigned, the former manager disappears. This makes it difficult to develop an org chart.
I like the system a lot...there are always software changes that can be made. It is not suited in a situation where individuals have various customized needs.
Read Alice Winkler's full review
We currently use the cloud based version of Ascentis HR. Up until a year ago we were using a copy that was locally hosted. We use the application to keep track of employee PTO, sick days, personal information, AHCA type requirements and maintaining documentation of employee education. It is used across our whole organization as it houses all of our employees records and we use the Web Based Self Service piece to allow employees to request time off, view their available time off as well as a type of intranet for organization announcements. Beyond the typical record side the most important problem this software has addresses for us was allowing employees to have 24/7 access to their time off and requesting time off.
  • Ascentis HR Offices Self Service piece is done very nicely and most employees find the interface intuitive and easy to use.
  • The product is backed by a passionate group employees, many of which have been with Ascentis for decades, making the support and communication with them seem quite fulfilling and and always personal and to the point of an issue.
  • The back end piece of Ascentis HR is as easy to use as the employee facing side. Our HR team has no issue entering information or getting reports out of the system. Ascentis made this softeware to make the lives easier of HR people and in my opinion it succeeds at that.
  • Ascentis offers many hooks into different insurance/benefit companies online systems making publishing benefits a fairly easy process.
  • While this is technically a cloud based system it is actually running on RDS hosts so accessing and using the back end piece is much more cumbersome that having it installed locally or using a web based version of the same.
  • I think their costs are a bit high compared to some other online offerings. Large companies would probably find using Ascentis to not be an economical choice.
  • While their Self Service piece works well for an employee and is made to be simple for HR Staff it does not offer much functionality or changeability for someone in IT that might want troubleshoot or add some "off the beaten path" information to the portal. It is basically a CMS made for non IT folks.
Ascentis HR is most suited for companies sized between 25 and 200 users. It comes with enough base offerings to keep most employees, in those type of companies, happy. The lack of changeability to the online portal makes me question whether it is good for larger companies more accustomed to changing stuff on the fly. In addition, since it is 100% online based now it would not make sense for any company dealing with outposts offices that have little or no internet capability.
As a growing company, we decided we needed an integrated system. Ascentis has allowed us to do our own recruiting, onboarding, HR management ie benefits, compensation, etc., employee self-service plus our payroll. Implementation was longer than expected but the system works very well. Customer service is very helpful and responsive. I highly recommend Ascentis.
  • Training
  • Customization
  • Pricing
  • Long implementation
Well suited for when you want a program you can customize based on your needs.
Gail Bettcher profile photo
We implemented Ascentis HR, Payroll and NovaTime Timekeeper initially, to assist in consolidating many manual tasks into one place electronically. We have since added the Performance and Comp modules, as well as Recruiting.
  • Customer Service is outstanding!
  • They listen to our requests and suggestions and try to understand why we are asking for certain things.
  • Things flow from one place to another with relative ease and behind the scenes workflows.
  • Recruiting has been challenging to us because we do a lot of seasonal hiring, and we also want to utilize the system to capture volunteer applications as well as full-time hiring. The verbiage within the system is not as customizable as we would like to accommodate these workflows.
  • To build out several offer letters is costly, and the inability to easily correct or create/update forms is frustrating.
While the Recruiting module itself is difficult to get it the way we need, moving applicants into HR has saved us tons of time since it is fully integrated. Everything works well together and the support services teams for all modules are outstanding.

Within Recruiting, there are no integrated Reference check capabilities, so it has to be done manually outside the system. With the volume of seasonal hiring we do, we simply don't have the time to do this effectively. If there was a way to run reference checks and have them flow back to the employee record in the form of an attachment for their file, it would be awesome!
Read Gail Bettcher's full review
Drew Bishop profile photo
It is used for work and training scheduling and as the company time card to determine Payroll. We also have the performance management portion. However, given the level of paperwork we have and the lack of training time available to us across the organization, this component is not used.
  • The scheduling function provides a good platform that allows employees to see what their schedule is. If multiple departments have need of their time, they can look and see availability. If none, they can negotiate with the employee's direct report to get them in. We use it to coordinate both work hours and training hours.
  • It can be programmed to notify if someone clocks in/out early/late and awards points accordingly. Our frontline staff have a work requirement for in/out timeliness. It lets Managers know when and where to intervene with HR to bring this performance focus back into line.
  • If there are log-in/out errors, Supervisors can easily make corrections. This is important when there are issues that might affect an employee's points.
  • Ascentis requires that every change MUST be saved. So, if one has done a lot of work, and forgets to hit Save, then it's all for naught.
  • It is not intuitive so for Supervisors and Managers who oversee staff timecards, Ascentis training needs to be built into their promotional process.
  • All users need to be proactive in letting their scheduling managers know about schedule changes in time to update the schedule. Otherwise, at the backend, there is a GREAT deal of work to be done to fix time cards and points. In our organization, we have 1 scheduling manager for every program and a manager over them.
This system is good for organizations that are decentralized with multiple points of employee sign-in/outs. Because it is Web based, employees can clock in on a computer, at their cubicle, on their phone or any other device that is not simply a time clock.
Read Drew Bishop's full review
Megan Hoffmann profile photo
March 29, 2019

Ascentis Review

First: our industry is actually Agriculture, we are a Cooperative. We are not farming, however, that's the closest option available. We are currently using Ascentis for payroll, timekeeping, HRIS, recruitment (New), and compensation (New). The timekeeping system is the most frequently used system throughout the cooperative. Every employee has a username and password to access Ascentis Self-Service and NovaTime. NovaTime eliminates the need for paper timecards and reduces the manual entries by managers.
  • Our account representatives that are assisting us in implementing recruiting and compensation have been doing a great job at keeping in touch and following up with us.
  • I've received great support from Christian at Ascentis HR when asking for new ideas or other things that we can be doing to make Ascentis self-service more attractive to our users. (Widgets in particular)
  • I've not had troubles with Ascentis Payroll or HR and am satisfied with the consistent availability of those two programs and appreciate that updates and streamlining are of importance to Ascentis.
  • NovaTime is the biggest hiccup that we've consistently encountered with Ascentis. We've encountered some of the same issues time and time again throughout our cooperative and I've opened numerous tickets and I've yet to feel like those issues have been resolved. Generally, the program will work, however, when it doesn't it creates frustration with the employee group.
  • I've noticed that when NovaTime has gone down an email has now been sent out notifying the administrators. This is a positive step!
  • I'm wondering if HR and payroll, can, at some point, be one of the same program. I know that with the most recent web updates it sounds like it's moving to one complete system so you don't have to go to two different spots to seek information. If that information was in one spot that would be helpful.
I feel Payroll is well suited and I also like Ascentis Self-Service (the dashboard). I'd like to see more widget functionality since we use that the most to communicate with all of our employees! I think NovaTime is fine to use and I feel I'd have rave reviews for it IF we could rely on the functionality of it and receive the utmost service level when calling into support. It's possible that there has been miscommunication when working with NovaTime support staff but on more than one occasion I've called in requesting a problem be resolved and I've been told it's resolved only to find out when running the next payroll that it isn't fixed. It's difficult for me to understand the full functions and rules within NovaTime because I don't see them, so the support staff needs to keep that in mind when communicating with customers. I've been satisfied with how the recruiting module and compensation module is, so far. (It's in the beginning stages for us).
Read Megan Hoffmann's full review
Jennifer Accilien profile photo
Ascentis is being used throughout the company for payroll and HR services. I wish more reports were readily available because sometimes creating an Instawriter report can become difficult. Also, I enjoyed having a specialist that helped us with any problems, now we have to send an email to support and sometimes it takes a while to receive a response.
  • The desktop version is very user-friendly.
  • The reports that are available under the "reports" tab are extremely helpful, wish there were more.
  • The flow of HR and Ascentis payroll is very smooth.
  • Ascentis HR screen for entering info is very small and not adjustable.
  • The vacation/sick tab for employees: I wish I was able to delete rows.
  • Wish we received a designated person to ask questions.
It is well suited for running reports. The pay summary and YTD reports are the best ones. It is less appropriate because of how difficult it can become to run Istawriter reports.
Read Jennifer Accilien's full review
Frank Rizzi profile photo
We use Ascentis across the entire organization. We utilize it for Payroll, Open Enrollment, Time Keeping, Recruiting, FMLA tracking, Benefit Tracking/Enrollments, and as an Intranet site for our employees. It centralizes the management of our HR systems and allows us to accurately report on payroll and HR items that we previously weren't able to do.
Before implementing Ascentis, we had several different systems that were being used for different aspects of HR. We were also tracking many things with pen and paper, and it was a very laborious task. Moving to Ascentis has streamlined many of these processes and allowed our managers to get back to managing instead of doing mundane tasks.
  • Ascentis' support team is top notch. When you need an answer, you can contact them in a variety of ways, and they are very quick to respond. With our last payroll company, it could be days, weeks, or we may have never even received a response.
  • The implementation is extremely thorough, and Ascentis makes sure you are thinking about all aspects as you are building the system. Many things can be tailored to your specific situation, so they make sure you are using the system as best you can.
  • The stock payroll reports provide a great level of detail. So if you're like me and don't want to have a GL interface, it is very easy to obtain the information needed to create a payroll journal entry.
  • The open enrollment process could be improved. Mostly, I'm speaking of the way the benefit builds relate to each other. For example, we couldn't tell the system that if an employee picked an HSA Medical plan, they weren't able to choose the FSA plan. There seemed to be a lot of manual auditing once open enrollment was complete.
  • I'm not a fan of how the HSA contributions function. They are entered as a Third Party pay, so they show up with the garnishments. I feel like the HSA contributions should be segregated from the TP items and have their own place within Ascentis. We seem to have issues with making sure account numbers are tied to the HSA contribution. If not, the funds will be withheld from the employee's pay, but they aren't direct deposited anywhere, so we have to cut a manual check to the bank.
  • TimeKeeper is horrible. We had a terrible experience with the implementation of it, and there are some basic functions that we can't seem to get to work without breaking something else. I'm hoping the acquisition of NOVAtime will start making this better over the course of 2019. Sorry for not being more descriptive, but it was all painful.
I believe Ascentis is a good fit for a medium-sized business that doesn't have a complicated benefit plan structure. The person(s) managing Ascentis should be a fairly bright-minded individual that can problem solve. As I've mentioned, support is great. But if you can't understand the issue you are having, they might not be able to help. Also, you really need to be thinking ahead as to what you want to accomplish as you're setting up Ascentis. Otherwise, you'll be re-doing everything once you start implementing other pieces of it.
If you don't want to be extremely hands-on with your HRIS, Ascentis probably isn't the best for you. Instead, you may want to consider a PEO.
Read Frank Rizzi's full review
Charlotte Sprinkle profile photo
May 07, 2019

Helpful Staff

We use this throughout our company for HR/Payroll & timekeeping.
  • Changing to a single screen for all info
  • Easy to see total hours
  • PTO tracker
  • Shift differential calculating for training hours
  • On call rate
  • Pay policy roll from Ascentis to Novatime
I like that the ASM and time sheet can be connected.
Read Charlotte Sprinkle's full review
Olivia Ruiz profile photo
March 18, 2019

Ascentis HR Review

Ascentis HR is used by our Admin and Finance department, in-conjunction with Employee Self-Service which is used across the whole district. This allows for employee to review the benefits and change information electronically online versus using paper or processing these items at home with their families.
  • Ascentis HR allows administrators to attach paperwork, now that we've gone mostly electronic on our new hire paperwork.
  • Ascentis HR allows us to maintain the benefits setup, administration, and changes electronically in the system to help with ACA and this information rolls into Payroll another module we use
  • Ascentis HR allows us to configure and add fields and information that pertain to our District directly to track and run reports. This is a huge benefit, then just maintaining in an Excel spreadsheet
  • Ascentis HR will soon go online versus remote desktop access. This will be a huge improvement, so that we don't need to involve our IT department in remote desktop issues when we get new computers.
  • Ascentis HR and ESS should improve on its functionality be allowing attachments for the managers perspective. It would be nice to create a manager/supervisor section, so they can take notes on an employee with HR approval. The manager/supervisor needs to improve more.
  • Ascentis HR should also improve on allowing or showing an employee in ESS their job or pay rate history (compensation history)
Ascentis HR is suited for small agencies needing to track and employees basic information.
Read Olivia Ruiz's full review
We use Ascentis for HR data management, employee self-service, payroll, recruiting and onboarding. This allows employees access to their own data, and in some cases, the ability to manage the data. Data and HR processes are now available from anywhere. This is a huge step forward from the file cabinet in an office being the only source of data.
  • Easy access for employees via ESS
  • The web resources are available from any computer
  • Personable implementation and support team
  • Moving more things from the remote desktop to the web application
  • Making the web navigation more user friendly (less pop-up boxes)
No HR tool is going to fit all organizations, so I'll never give one a 10 out of 10. Ascentis is a good tool for a small to mid-sized company. For us, moving from a file cabinet and online payroll processor, Ascentis was a welcome relief to excess data entry and limited access to data and processes.
We use Ascentis HR and Ascentis Payroll, paired with Timekeeper. It is mainly used by me to record employee information and do payroll. In 2018, we integrated Ascentis HR and Timekeeper, so it is now used by all employees for timekeeping. We just recently launched ESS through Ascentis HR, so employees are learning how to log in and access their personal information. I still have a lot of training to do with the department heads to teach them how to use it for ESS and Timekeeper. Right now, I do it all.
  • I like the flexibility in Ascentis HR. I can create custom tabs for things that are specifically relevant to my company. It's helping me digitalize a previously paper-based company.
  • Ascentis HR and ESS have given my employees the option to finally go paperless with pay stubs. Employees like the option to access their pay stubs at any time. I appreciate not wasting costly check paper and time to stuff checks when employees throw their stubs right in the trash. We have had direct deposit for a long time, but didn't have a way to go paperless.
  • The ability to pull custom reports in Ascentis HR is very nice. I can get the information I really want and can get it in Excel format so I can manipulate the information.
  • Everyone wants to know if there is an app for ESS. As far as I know, there isn't. They can type in the website on their cell phones, but an app would be greatly appreciated and convenient.
  • Especially after using Ascentis HR, I feel the report capabilities in Ascentis Payroll are very weak. One report I have to get Ascentis' help on every year is the number of hours an employee worked for the year. It's not something I can pull on my own, and when I am assisted, it's broken down into regular pay, or, holiday, etc. It would be nice to just be able to easily pull how many hours they worked in total, on my own. I also feel like a lot of the reports in Payroll should be able to be exported into excel. A lot of them are print only.
Ascentis has been good for our growing company. We bring on seasonal people during harvest, and I'm easily able to track those peoples' time cards separately from ours and pull reports to send to the staffing agencies we use. Employees are able to punch the time clock from computers or even their phones if allowed. Our sister company uses field workers and after looking at our system, felt it was too complex for what they needed. They literally wanted something like an "on the clock", or "off the clock" button. The company has to be pretty tech savvy to be able to use these products, especially Ascentis HR.
All staff uses Ascentis/Novatime, giving them the capability to access their pay, benefits, training, etc. All of Payroll and HR are administrators. Our supervisors have supervisory access, as to viewing their team, approving leave and timesheets. It is deployed throughout our National office (DC – East coast) and our regional offices (West coast, South, & North).
  • Self Service
  • Benefits
  • Step increases trickling over to compensation automatically
Ascentis is well suited in Self Service and Benefits because of its features (Time Clock, Leave Management, Leave-Shared Calendar, Timesheet, Reports, Payroll…the whole suite).
In my department, we use Ascentis for just about everything. We are using this to add in new hires and we use them to manage employee files. It's a great tool for any company that needs an 'all in one' package. Definitely an all-inclusive type of system.
  • Customer service is always amazing, everyone is very helpful.
  • Navigation is very user-friendly.
  • Provides a lot of online growth as in additional training.
  • Making the reporting more user-friendly would be helpful.
I think Ascentis is a great tool for big businesses with 250+ employees. I don't see the need for a small business to utilize this.
March 26, 2019

Ascentis Review

We use it across our whole organization as our payroll and paid time off program. It allows users to download/print their paystubs if they need to as well as submit paid time off requests via the app or webpage, rather than submit a piece of paper.
  • It is very easy to use whether it is viewing payroll information or requesting time off.
  • There seems to be a fair amount of updates to the system. It is nice to know Ascentis is continually updating their system.
  • Give enough notice of downtime so our users know what to expect.
  • I had to call them for support because an end user couldn't get logged into the Ascentis website (it was really slow, spinning wheel, sometimes it would work after 10 minutes, etc) and they couldn't really help me. I asked to have the ticket upgraded to tier 2 and never heard back from anyone. I ended up having to re-image the end users computer and then it finally worked again.
It seems to fit our small to mid-sized company very well. It allows end users to access their information without having to ask anyone else. I had an issue after one of the last updates where I couldn't view recently submitted PTO requests (immediately after submitting them) but that seems to have been resolved.
It is used by HR (record keeping & communication) & Recruiting (communication & hiring process).
  • A good system for HR record keeping.
  • Works well for smaller companies for applications/hiring process.
  • Would help to be able to have more than 1 employee record open at a time.
  • I get connection error messages frequently, when I know I'm connected.
  • Has begun to be slower. I'm not sure if that's because we are hiring a much larger pool of employees.
I think it worked well when our company was smaller. Now that we've grown tremendously, it doesn't seem to be working as well.
March 27, 2019

Not impressed

We use it across the organization for HRIS, Payroll, Timekeeper, Benefits, Training, and Performance.
  • Payroll
  • Timekeeper
  • Customer Service
  • Implementation
  • Is not a one stop shop
  • There is an additional cost for any modifications
  • Difficult for employee use
Even if a company has an HTML knowledgeable department that can be dedicated to building and implementation, it is going to take a long time to get it all up and running. Not a good fit for small organizations that would have to set it up in addition to continuing current responsibilities.
It is being used across the company for payroll, timesheets, PTO and recruitment purposes.
  • The timekeeper/time cards are very user-friendly. Easy to understand.
  • Our employees check their pay stubs through Ascentis.
  • I think the recruitment portal could be easier to use. Better resume scanning and weeding out unqualified candidates.
  • I often hear our accounting department having issues with the HR side of Ascentis.
Ascentis is an easy system for employees to use and navigate. On the admin side, it can be confusing to get the system set up.
March 15, 2019

Payroll Genius

We use Ascentis for both our HRIS system and payroll processing. It is only used by our CFO, Controller and myself (HR Generalist). Both systems help us stay on top of all IRS rules and regulations (i.e. 1095-C forms and new tax laws).
  • The ability to print our payroll checks in house. We are not at the mercy of a delivery service.
  • The linking of the HRIS system to the payroll system.
  • Quicker customer service.
Ascentis is well suited for our company of 80+ employees. The payroll process is a very easy process.
[It's] Being used by the whole organization.

We use it as our HRIS system to track and manage employee profiles (job, dept, division, location info; personal contact info; compensation info; emergency details as well as a self-serve portal).
  • Simple UI platform
  • Ability to run reports and customize reports for various purposes - Report Manager component is easy to use
  • Option to view accrued time and breakdown of accrual calculations
  • Some errors in reporting data (i.e. location for employee set-up as Vancouver, however, report consistently pulls it as 'Undesignated')
  • Employee Manager keeps logging out.. not efficient with multiple log-ins (remote desktop separate log-in from EE Manager, Set-Up Manager, etc)
  • Simple UI leaves lots of rooms for error
- Great for running reports and pulling quick metrics
- Lots of room for error (i.e. delete a field and field still shows up... lots of bugs)
Catherine Peterson profile photo
Ascentis HR is being used by our Human Resources and payroll department. It addresses:
1.) Ease of access to employee information
2.) Accurate employee information
3.) Benefit management
4.)Reporting capability
5.) Tracking employee documents for compliance.
  • A clean system that is easy to navigate through and change information
  • Ability to grow into the system and customize to our company's tracking needs and changes
  • Robust system that holds a tremendous amount of critical information in one place
  • An ability to automatically notify our employees through email/text and banner in ESS for expired or expiring employee documents
  • Ability to track variable hour employees for ACA requirements in a more inclusive way. Some way for the system to hold hours worked, during specific periods of time and notifying employees automatically when they are eligible for benefits due to meeting the hour and measurement period requirements.
Pulling information quickly: to do Employment Verification for existing or former employees, getting contact and benefit information about employees, compensation history, and present history, job title, position hours per week, and pulling reports for EEO reporting, employee lists for audits or evaluations etc.
Read Catherine Peterson's full review

Employee demographic data (96)
Employment history (100)
Job profiles and administration (89)
Workflow for transfers, promotions, pay raises, etc. (91)
6.7
Organizational charting (62)
5.9
Organization and location management (79)
Compliance data (COBRA, OSHA, etc.) (76)
Pay calculation (79)
Support for external payroll vendors (43)
Benefit plan administration (74)
Direct deposit files (71)
Salary revision and increment management (66)
Reimbursement management (33)
Approval workflow (64)
Balance details (65)
Annual carry-forward and encashment (59)
View and generate pay and benefit information (97)
Update personal information (107)
View company policy documentation (81)
Employee recognition (44)
View job history (74)
Tracking of all physical assets (22)
5.9
Report builder (102)
Pre-built reports (100)
6.5
Ability to combine HR data with external data (52)
5.7
New hire portal (68)
Manager tracking tools (51)
Corporate goal setting (33)
6.4
Individual goal setting (37)
Line-of sight-visibility (29)
Performance tracking (38)
6.3
Performance plans (40)
6.2
Performance improvement plans (34)
6.2
Review status tracking (41)
Review reminders (40)
6.1
Multiple review frequency (37)
5.1
Create succession plans/pools (15)
Candidate ranking (15)
5.4
Candidate search (18)
6.3
Candidate development (17)
5.1
Job Requisition Management (55)
Company Website Posting (51)
Publish to Social Media (41)
6.7
Job Search Site Posting (44)
Duplicate Candidate Prevention (38)
5.8
Applicant Tracking (53)
Notifications and Alerts (45)
6.6

About Ascentis

Ascentis invites the user to start anywhere and add anytime, what they describe as their industry-leading a-la carte full suite human capital management (HCM) technology platform and workforce management solutions, that are supported by the company's ongoing commitment to delivering what they boast is an unsurpassed client experience. Ascentis’ technology modules work independently or together to meet the needs of each client, wherever they are in the HCM journey.

Ascentis Competitors