Reviews (1-25 of 112)
- The scheduling function provides a good platform that allows employees to see what their schedule is. If multiple departments have need of their time, they can look and see availability. If none, they can negotiate with the employee's direct report to get them in. We use it to coordinate both work hours and training hours.
- It can be programmed to notify if someone clocks in/out early/late and awards points accordingly. Our frontline staff have a work requirement for in/out timeliness. It lets Managers know when and where to intervene with HR to bring this performance focus back into line.
- If there are log-in/out errors, Supervisors can easily make corrections. This is important when there are issues that might affect an employee's points.
- Ascentis requires that every change MUST be saved. So, if one has done a lot of work, and forgets to hit Save, then it's all for naught.
- It is not intuitive so for Supervisors and Managers who oversee staff timecards, Ascentis training needs to be built into their promotional process.
- All users need to be proactive in letting their scheduling managers know about schedule changes in time to update the schedule. Otherwise, at the backend, there is a GREAT deal of work to be done to fix time cards and points. In our organization, we have 1 scheduling manager for every program and a manager over them.
- Our account representatives that are assisting us in implementing recruiting and compensation have been doing a great job at keeping in touch and following up with us.
- I've received great support from Christian at Ascentis HR when asking for new ideas or other things that we can be doing to make Ascentis self-service more attractive to our users. (Widgets in particular)
- I've not had troubles with Ascentis Payroll or HR and am satisfied with the consistent availability of those two programs and appreciate that updates and streamlining are of importance to Ascentis.
- NovaTime is the biggest hiccup that we've consistently encountered with Ascentis. We've encountered some of the same issues time and time again throughout our cooperative and I've opened numerous tickets and I've yet to feel like those issues have been resolved. Generally, the program will work, however, when it doesn't it creates frustration with the employee group.
- I've noticed that when NovaTime has gone down an email has now been sent out notifying the administrators. This is a positive step!
- I'm wondering if HR and payroll, can, at some point, be one of the same program. I know that with the most recent web updates it sounds like it's moving to one complete system so you don't have to go to two different spots to seek information. If that information was in one spot that would be helpful.
- The desktop version is very user-friendly.
- The reports that are available under the "reports" tab are extremely helpful, wish there were more.
- The flow of HR and Ascentis payroll is very smooth.
- Ascentis HR screen for entering info is very small and not adjustable.
- The vacation/sick tab for employees: I wish I was able to delete rows.
- Wish we received a designated person to ask questions.
Before implementing Ascentis, we had several different systems that were being used for different aspects of HR. We were also tracking many things with pen and paper, and it was a very laborious task. Moving to Ascentis has streamlined many of these processes and allowed our managers to get back to managing instead of doing mundane tasks.
- Ascentis' support team is top notch. When you need an answer, you can contact them in a variety of ways, and they are very quick to respond. With our last payroll company, it could be days, weeks, or we may have never even received a response.
- The implementation is extremely thorough, and Ascentis makes sure you are thinking about all aspects as you are building the system. Many things can be tailored to your specific situation, so they make sure you are using the system as best you can.
- The stock payroll reports provide a great level of detail. So if you're like me and don't want to have a GL interface, it is very easy to obtain the information needed to create a payroll journal entry.
- The open enrollment process could be improved. Mostly, I'm speaking of the way the benefit builds relate to each other. For example, we couldn't tell the system that if an employee picked an HSA Medical plan, they weren't able to choose the FSA plan. There seemed to be a lot of manual auditing once open enrollment was complete.
- I'm not a fan of how the HSA contributions function. They are entered as a Third Party pay, so they show up with the garnishments. I feel like the HSA contributions should be segregated from the TP items and have their own place within Ascentis. We seem to have issues with making sure account numbers are tied to the HSA contribution. If not, the funds will be withheld from the employee's pay, but they aren't direct deposited anywhere, so we have to cut a manual check to the bank.
- TimeKeeper is horrible. We had a terrible experience with the implementation of it, and there are some basic functions that we can't seem to get to work without breaking something else. I'm hoping the acquisition of NOVAtime will start making this better over the course of 2019. Sorry for not being more descriptive, but it was all painful.
If you don't want to be extremely hands-on with your HRIS, Ascentis probably isn't the best for you. Instead, you may want to consider a PEO.
- Ascentis HR allows administrators to attach paperwork, now that we've gone mostly electronic on our new hire paperwork.
- Ascentis HR allows us to maintain the benefits setup, administration, and changes electronically in the system to help with ACA and this information rolls into Payroll another module we use
- Ascentis HR allows us to configure and add fields and information that pertain to our District directly to track and run reports. This is a huge benefit, then just maintaining in an Excel spreadsheet
- Ascentis HR will soon go online versus remote desktop access. This will be a huge improvement, so that we don't need to involve our IT department in remote desktop issues when we get new computers.
- Ascentis HR and ESS should improve on its functionality be allowing attachments for the managers perspective. It would be nice to create a manager/supervisor section, so they can take notes on an employee with HR approval. The manager/supervisor needs to improve more.
- Ascentis HR should also improve on allowing or showing an employee in ESS their job or pay rate history (compensation history)
- Easy access for employees via ESS
- The web resources are available from any computer
- Personable implementation and support team
- Moving more things from the remote desktop to the web application
- Making the web navigation more user friendly (less pop-up boxes)
- I like the flexibility in Ascentis HR. I can create custom tabs for things that are specifically relevant to my company. It's helping me digitalize a previously paper-based company.
- Ascentis HR and ESS have given my employees the option to finally go paperless with pay stubs. Employees like the option to access their pay stubs at any time. I appreciate not wasting costly check paper and time to stuff checks when employees throw their stubs right in the trash. We have had direct deposit for a long time, but didn't have a way to go paperless.
- The ability to pull custom reports in Ascentis HR is very nice. I can get the information I really want and can get it in Excel format so I can manipulate the information.
- Everyone wants to know if there is an app for ESS. As far as I know, there isn't. They can type in the website on their cell phones, but an app would be greatly appreciated and convenient.
- Especially after using Ascentis HR, I feel the report capabilities in Ascentis Payroll are very weak. One report I have to get Ascentis' help on every year is the number of hours an employee worked for the year. It's not something I can pull on my own, and when I am assisted, it's broken down into regular pay, or, holiday, etc. It would be nice to just be able to easily pull how many hours they worked in total, on my own. I also feel like a lot of the reports in Payroll should be able to be exported into excel. A lot of them are print only.
Review: "ASCENTIS (A=Awesome; S=Spectacular, C=Crystal clear, E= Exceptional, N=Need, T=Time saved, I=Incredible, S=Super)"
- Customer service is always amazing, everyone is very helpful.
- Navigation is very user-friendly.
- Provides a lot of online growth as in additional training.
- Making the reporting more user-friendly would be helpful.
- It is very easy to use whether it is viewing payroll information or requesting time off.
- There seems to be a fair amount of updates to the system. It is nice to know Ascentis is continually updating their system.
- Give enough notice of downtime so our users know what to expect.
- I had to call them for support because an end user couldn't get logged into the Ascentis website (it was really slow, spinning wheel, sometimes it would work after 10 minutes, etc) and they couldn't really help me. I asked to have the ticket upgraded to tier 2 and never heard back from anyone. I ended up having to re-image the end users computer and then it finally worked again.
- A good system for HR record keeping.
- Works well for smaller companies for applications/hiring process.
- Would help to be able to have more than 1 employee record open at a time.
- I get connection error messages frequently, when I know I'm connected.
- Has begun to be slower. I'm not sure if that's because we are hiring a much larger pool of employees.
- The timekeeper/time cards are very user-friendly. Easy to understand.
- Our employees check their pay stubs through Ascentis.
- I think the recruitment portal could be easier to use. Better resume scanning and weeding out unqualified candidates.
- I often hear our accounting department having issues with the HR side of Ascentis.
- Customer Service - our project manager listened to our struggles and was quick to ensure that she put the right people on our team to get us through. As a company, I feel our "asks" were a little difficult at times but Ascentis helped us get through it.
- Webinars - most of their webinars are very informative and give you more knowledge of the product.
- Implementation - the process is much longer than the sales presentation layout showed. If they had ONE combined workbook for ALL aspects of the Ascentis program, not just HR, it would help speed up the implementation process.
- Manuals - Ascentis doesn't have any manuals for their systems and they are currently working on them. As a new user, it is difficult not to have any type of reference material to refer to.
I am only selecting a 6 because of the struggles we had with implementation.
- Employee Self Service is excellent
- Notes, attachments to employee records are easy to use
- Management self service is also well thought out, although we would like to see managers included in their own team calendar views.
- We looked at the scheduling system available from Ascentis - in depth - it was almost what we needed for our paramedics, but not quite (NovaTime) - it would be great to move in that direction in the future.
- A way to connect leave calendars to MS Outlook would be a wonderful tool.
- The need to use remote desktop to get to Employee Manager and Setup Manager is cumbersome - people forget their passwords frequently - it would be nice to see Ascentis move toward web-based functionality for the entire thing.
We do not find the payroll function to be well suited to our needs - and as mentioned previously, the NovaTime scheduling system could not be customized to work for us without spending upwards of $20K US.
- Ascentis seems to allow more customization than other HRIS software packages I have researched. It allows you to set up custom tabs, work flows for approvals and renaming of fields so the software can be fit to your business needs.
- Employee self service is relatively straight-forward and easy for general users to figure out.
- Has the ability to run reports on pretty much anything. We use to create lists and cross-check data on a regular basis.
- User interface on back-end could really use some work. Unable to resize or tile windows to fit the user's preference.
- On back-end, it is way too easy to delete or change something on accident. Has some quirks that you just need to know when entering information.
- Very strange tendencies to allow customization of some things, but then not allow others. For example, recruiting software requires help from Ascentis support to delete an email template. UI for self service offers limited choice of fields for some tabs.
- Employee self service and manager self service function is just okay. There is no way for managers to create data-driven widgets or access any data from the system.
We use it as our HRIS system to track and manage employee profiles (job, dept, division, location info; personal contact info; compensation info; emergency details as well as a self-serve portal).
- Simple UI platform
- Ability to run reports and customize reports for various purposes - Report Manager component is easy to use
- Option to view accrued time and breakdown of accrual calculations
- Some errors in reporting data (i.e. location for employee set-up as Vancouver, however, report consistently pulls it as 'Undesignated')
- Employee Manager keeps logging out.. not efficient with multiple log-ins (remote desktop separate log-in from EE Manager, Set-Up Manager, etc)
- Simple UI leaves lots of rooms for error
- Lots of room for error (i.e. delete a field and field still shows up... lots of bugs)
- The ESS system is great to have for our employees. This takes a lot of time off of HR and provides a pretty seamless experience for my employees when making changes to their address, benefits, viewing their paystub, W2 etc.
- The new look and feel of the user TimeKeeper interface were much needed. Our system integrates with RFID card readers, which our employees love!
- Originally we had several issues with our EDI feeds, and their team was willing to step in and help set up new feeds with as many vendors as possible. Although, this should have been working when originally set up when brought to the account managers attention (A. Lisecki - who is amazing) we got on the phone with all parties to find a resolution.
- The customer service team is lacking tremendously. If you need assistance on a report or guidance in general, good luck. I will brag again on A. Lisecki
- Because she really is the reason we keep Ascentis HR/Payroll. She has gone above and beyond anytime I needed help.
- The reporting system is very cumbersome and usually provides inaccurate information. You can run the same report twice and it will give you different results. Of course, some reports are beneficial, but for the most part, it's hard to find the common HR reports quickly, such as your turnover rate, demographics, new hires etc. The system does have some of these templates built in, but there is usually a trick to getting them to work correctly.
- All the workarounds! Because we have used the system for a few years now, we know our pain points and have had to find workarounds to minimize the impact. For instance, adjusting benefit dates to ensure they roll over to payroll properly, hire date changes for ESS. At the end of the year, HSA and 401k contributions are also tricky (approving for that year but not approving the new open enrollment selections too soon- based on payroll dates).
- Open enrollment is a nightmare on the backend. Sadly, I always run a report before I submit the new information as I've had open enrollment details not push to our EDI carriers properly. At the time, I was glad I had the report otherwise my employees would have had to do open enrollment all over again.
With Ascentis I've been able to introduce my organization to a one-stop shop. Along with being able to manage all of the previously mentioned tasks in one system, I have the privilege of creating a newsletter sort of platform on our employee self-service portal that's much like a internal Intranet, but with so much color and pizazz. This feature has proven to be a HIT!! It has allowed for a decrease in emails from HR and paper posters and more transparency as I'm able to share with the staff the documents that are in their file.
They have the ability to start the process of making changes from their desk instead of coming to the HR Dept.; of course HR still approves the changes, because they upload the supporting documentation as well. The fact that Ascentis required so much hands-on from me, at first, was frustrating, but now I appreciate it all the more. I know my system, the data that's in it, and it was all customized by me. I can only hope that everyone at Ascentis is as great as the team members I've had the privilege of working with: Jeff Hansen, Tina Byrnes, and although he's with Novatime, David Chang is one of a kind!!!!
I like being able to create work flows for the HR department; know what's going on without micro-managing.
I like have the ability to put the responsibility in the hands of the EEs to initial changes: life events, demographics updates, etc.
I like being able to present my staff with a one stop shop for our handbook, FAQs, Forms, the newsletter, timekeeper, check stubs, etc.
- The Customer Service for Ascentis HR is amazing. They are always quick to respond to any questions that arise and are happy to help in whatever way they are able.
- The Ascentis HR system is incredibly easy to use, even for employees who are less tech-savvy or who aren't on a computer all day.
- The report writing function in Ascentis HR has some limitations as far as what pieces of data you can pull and they can take a while to run.
1.) Ease of access to employee information
2.) Accurate employee information
3.) Benefit management
5.) Tracking employee documents for compliance.
- A clean system that is easy to navigate through and change information
- Ability to grow into the system and customize to our company's tracking needs and changes
- Robust system that holds a tremendous amount of critical information in one place
- An ability to automatically notify our employees through email/text and banner in ESS for expired or expiring employee documents
- Ability to track variable hour employees for ACA requirements in a more inclusive way. Some way for the system to hold hours worked, during specific periods of time and notifying employees automatically when they are eligible for benefits due to meeting the hour and measurement period requirements.
- Ascentis HR is particularly helpful in keeping a record of past jobs and/or managers. If you have an organization that lets employees move from one department to another fairly often, this software has a tool that will help you keep track when Employee "A" moved from Supervisor "X" to Supervisor "Y" as well as from Department "B" to Department "F" without having to restart that employees length of service.
- Ascentis HR also has a number of ways that you can customize tabs. If you want to keep track of something for your organization that you don't see on one of their prefabricated tabs or screens you can make one of your own. We have made several different ones to help us keep track of different information such as driver's licenses and expiration dates as well as specific training and/or orientation tasks that we want supervisors to accomplish with their new employees.
- Ascentis HR lets you upload documents (particularly pdf) to employees files, which is particularly helpful. Additionally, you can mark these so that the employee can or cannot see them when they log onto their side of the Employee Self Service. One of the things I particularly like about these uploaded documents is that each part cluster of tabs has its own tab for attachments. When you open the "Employee" section where you find information about the employee and his/her personal information as well as job information, you will also find a tab where you can put attachments for personal and/or job-related information - such as a job description sign off or something of the like. When you open the "Compensation" section you will find another tab for attachments, and this might be where you decide to upload copies of direct deposits if you require them or wage changes.
- One of the biggest issues I have had with Ascentis HR is that it lacks updates. We started using it four years ago. We stopped using it because we were trying to piecemeal three different systems together. We tried another system for two and a half years. That didn't work out any better. We decided to give Ascentis HR another try. I was hoping that there would be a few upgrades, but the system was largely the same. On the one hand, I admit it was nice because there was not a steep learning curve, but on the other, the technology was behind a lot of the other systems that we were presented with.
- The complaint that I hear the most from my employees is that there is no app for the program and that it is extremely hard to use on any mobile device. The Employee Self Service/Portal is set to be used on a computer or laptop - not a small mobile device. With so many people using their phones as the main internet source, it does make it difficult for many of our employees to access their self-service portal outside of the work environment.
- Because it is an older system, some of the things can be a little trickier to set up. Benefits are one of them. There are multiple screens that need to be gone through and rules that need to be built. It can seem a little like a choose-your-own-adventure at times. If you don't hit the correct button on the right page, you may miss out on options down the road. There is no real safeguard built in and no particular view mode to see if things were done correctly. You have to make things "live" in order to see if your rules and the benefits worked. In addition, once the benefits have been set up correctly for the employees, it still has to be mapped and moved over for payroll to be able to see things.
- Currently, we are using their remote desktop service which requires us to move anything we want to put on our Employee's Self Service Portal from our desktops to their remote desktops and then copying the correct path to bring it back to our online version of an old MySpace page. I know that they are trying, but it seems as though it is a lot of work for something that should be a lot easier to do with a few more layout and posting options.
- Although they do have some canned reports, most of the reporting functions take time to learn and is best done when one understands how to write Custom Reports to get the information that one is seeking. The Customer Service Reps are usually more than happy to help, but it does take time to explain just what you are looking for and how to make it into a report that would help you. Overall, I think that the structure of the reporting function is solid; however, the user-friendliness of it is not.
- The reporting capability and customization is of great use.
- The system is very user-friendly and doesn't require users to know and understand coding.
- The cloud availability is great for technology companies who don't necessarily conduct all of their business in one location. It allows flexibility with staffing and telecommuting for HR professionals.
- I really can't say that Ascentis needs to improve at this point. It's a great system for organizations who want a full-bodied system without the expense and downtime of implementation and training.
Ascentis Scorecard Summary
Feature Scorecard Summary
Ascentis Technical Details