February 03, 2016
Score 9 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with Chartbeat
Chartbeat was used in newsrooms up and down the country to allow editorial staff to get a real life snap shot on how the traffic was reacting to their site. It allowed journalist to really promote their content on social media and actually see the engagement with users. We could also get a rolled up snapshot for all 200 websites to see where spikes in traffics where, what caused them and how we could turn spikes into audience growth.
- Realtime data on editorial content
- Sources of audience per site
- Rolled up view of real time data for a lot of site
- Put more into historic data. Currently the real time data is key, which makes sense but when users are given the option to download the previous day and last 7 days of data they will, but unfortunately as you go further back in time the data gets more sparse. Room for improvement there.
- Editorial staff started to really care about data.
- Data from chartbeat didn't match up with the digital analytics software and that caused confusion around the business.
Chartbeat is brilliant for editorial based sites that are flexible in reacting to the audience. When a story does particularly well the editorial staff needs to be able to promote the story on social media; display it high up on the homepage and just generally make sure that the spike they are seeing continues to grow and that they can ensure those users don't bounce straight off the website. It is always enjoyable to see the moment when a story goes viral and giving editors the options to also see this makes their job a lot more three-dimensional. All of a sudden they aren't just writting content, they are affecting how real people use the site and they are going to interact with the rest of the content.