Tried and true: Dropbox is great
Brandon Zell | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 13, 2018

Tried and true: Dropbox is great

Overall Satisfaction with Dropbox

As a freelance web designer, I'm using Dropbox for a range of purposes.

Backing up all my business working files:
All of my business and client files are stored in the Dropbox folder on my computer. That way all my files are constantly backed up to Dropbox and if I accidentally delete a file, it can be recovered through Dropbox.

Hosting large client files:
Some of my clients have flat file Jekyll websites that have a file size limit of 25MB. For files over that size, they can be placed in Dropbox and have a public link created. Then the file can be embedded straight into their site.

Share files with clients that are too large to email:
Most email clients have strict limits on total attachment size (typically around 25MB). In the event that I need to send more than that, I'll create a folder in Dropbox and share a link to that in the email.

Use File Requests to facilitate receiving many files from clients at once:
Dropbox's File Request feature is fantastic. File Request allows you to receive any number of files from someone without requiring them to log into a Dropbox account. I use this for some clients that need to send me large files weekly, and also for instances when a client needs to send me many photos.

Dropbox Paper:
I won't go into details, but Dropbox Paper has become an invaluable tool for my business as well (journaling, note-taking, project planning, to do lists, etc).
  • Quality: Dropbox is well made and is a tool I can rely on, knowing it will work. It's both technically well crafted and visually designed well.
  • Speed: whether it's via the desktop app or through their website, Dropbox is always able to upload and download files quickly.
  • Features: for my needs, Dropbox generally has all the features I'm looking for without appearing to be over cluttered with useless features.
  • There are a couple of rare instances where there's a feature which myself and other Dropbox users want but Dropbox has deemed either not needed or not viable. In those cases, it appears there's little we can do to change Dropbox's mind about enabling/adding the feature.
  • Through their website, I don't believe there's an easy way to see which folders are taking up the most space on your account. There have been a couple instances in the past when I needed to know where the majority of my data was being used and it was frustrating to not have that information available.
  • There was one instance where a client sent me a file (and probably deleted their copy) and I accidentally deleted the file. The file was 300MB and hadn't yet been backed up by my computer's backup system. Luckily Dropbox allowed me to recover the deleted file. I believe they keep deleted files for 30 days.
  • Dropbox has allowed me to operate smoothly as a business with my clients. The file request feature, in particular, is very handy, especially for clients that don't have a Dropbox account.
  • Because my working files are synced with Dropbox, I can easily transition to working on a different computer, or on rare occasions access certain files, in particular, via my phone. Just more features that help keep my business running smoothly.
Compared to all the file-sharing services I've used, Dropbox is the most reliable and easiest to use. They've also done a nice job of adding features/functionality over the years.

Actually, one thing I've yet to mention: Dropbox has done a great job of compatibility with different file types. For instance, I could create a design in Illustrator and share the file with a client through Dropbox. For clients that don't have Illustrator, Dropbox will still allow them to view the design.
If you need to send or receive files, Dropbox is great for that.

If you have important files on your computer that you need to have backed up, versioned, and be recoverable in the event of deletion, Dropbox can help there too.

Dropbox is also useful in instances where you need a collection of files accessible by a select group of people.

Dropbox Feature Ratings