OneDrive Reviews

TrustRadius Top Rated for 2019

Lukas Sundahl, MBA profile photo
OneDrive is being used to help keep documents organized. We have folders to store all the important files we need. It helps us stay organized and reduce all the paper clutter that would exist without OneDrive. We also utilize the recent files tool to quickly access the files we are constantly using and updating.
  • OneDrive allows quick upload from desktop files.
  • OneDrive gives folder storage ability just like desktop PC.
  • The user interface could be improved but overall it functions well.
  • It would be nice if the preview feature displayed when clicking on a file instead of needing to right click and choose from the drop down menu.
OneDrive is well suited for quick storage and retrieval of important work documents. It allows users to share links to certain files which works well for collaboration. In terms of storage you can easily monitor how many GB you are using and even up storage in 1TB increments. OneDrive works so much like a file directory on a work PC so it is easy to learn and navigate around. It works well on both a PC and a Cell Phone.
Read Lukas Sundahl, MBA's full review
Joel Brache profile photo
OneDrive is used by my entire organization as part of the Office 365 suite of products. OneDrive is essential for us since it provides each employee with their own individual cloud storage that is backed up and accessible on their desktops, laptops, phones, tablets, and web browsers, wherever they are. By providing this individual storage for each employee, our company no longer has to maintain another file server to handle this. That means we have one less server on our rack, we don't have to backup additional drives, and we don't have to manage that server through downtime or other connection issues. Employees can share files with each other through OneDrive instead of using a network drive. Employees can also sync the files they feel are important to their local drive so they have immediate access to the most important information. OneDrive keeps everything synced and also keeps version history. It's a fantastic tool.
  • OneDrive does a great job of keeping file version history. I have had to use this feature many times and it is very simple to use. This one feature has saved my butt many times.
  • OneDrive synchronizes across devices very quickly. There have been many instances when I have added files online and, within seconds, saw the file show up on my local computer. This happens the other direction also. I am very impressed and satisfied with the speed of syncing in all directions.
  • The OneDrive app on my phone has been particularly helpful since it automatically syncs my photos (usually within seconds) and allows me access to all my files.
  • I wish OneDrive would allow you to sync multiple personal/individual accounts to your computer. At this time, you can only sync one account at a time. That means that my personal OneDrive and individual corporate OneDrive can't be synced to my computer at the same time.
  • OneDrive has a file size limitation of 15 GB. I know that that is a very large amount, but I have several files that are larger than 15 GB that I wish I could get to sync. I'm hoping that file size limitation changes in the future.
I think OneDrive is very well suited for people who are looking for personal cloud storage. It is fast, easy to use, and you get a reasonable amount of space. OneDrive is also very well suited for corporations who are wanting to provide their employees with individual cloud storage. There are so many great features for both of those situations (quick syncing, version history, apps, etc.).

The only situation I don't think OneDrive is well suited for is if someone had both a personal and individual corporate account. The current limitations in Windows 10 don't allow you to see all your accounts at the same time. Once that gets resolved, I can't see any scenarios where OneDrive wouldn't be a great option.
Read Joel Brache's full review
Nikhil Deshpande profile photo
OneDrive is used as an enterprise storage solution across the entire organization. A few departments do use other solutions such as Dropbox; however, OneDrive is available to all employees. It provides secure cloud storage for employees' documents that can be accessed any time from a wide variety of devices such as desktop, mobile, tablets, and so on. It also facilitates the sharing of documents within the company as well as with select people outside.
  • Microsoft Office 365 is the main office productivity suite used widely. OneDrive offers documents to be saved from desktop Office applications such as Word, Excel, and others. Documents can also be created from the mobile app.
  • It allows a browser interface to work on documents. Documents are saved automatically when working through a browser.
  • Saving documents directly to OneDrive from Office 365 desktop applications can be challenging sometimes. I have faced issues wherein the local copy did not sync with OneDrive.
  • I have faced performance issues while working on documents from the mobile app. However, I rarely work on Office documents from my phone, so it is not a major issue.
Some scenarios OneDrive is well suited for are:
  1. Storing and sharing casual Word, Excel, PowerPoint documents
  2. Storing product demo videos and sharing them with colleagues for streaming
  3. Storing images for product branding and sharing them company-wide
  4. Storing recordings of conference calls and sharing them with colleagues
  5. Storing documents that are worked upon by many people at a time
I have not yet found scenarios where OneDrive may be less appropriate in a business setting.
Read Nikhil Deshpande's full review
Tom Wondra profile photo
OneDrive is being used company wide. We aren't a big company, so needed something simple to implement and easy to manage. OneDrive allows us to back up important files and know that they are secure. We don't have an IT department, so really needed a solution that didn't require specific IT expertise to implement and maintain. OneDrive is our backup and it works especially well with Windows machines.
  • OneDrive is super easy to implement.
  • OneDrive doesn't require any specific technical expertise to use it.
  • I can't speak to larger organization use cases, so don't know how well OneDrive would work for larger orgs.
  • OneDrive does seem more localized, so I really view it as a tool I use with my files.
OneDrive works very well for smaller, non-technical teams that need an easy way to backup and share files. It is a great way to backup important files if you aren't in a position to implement a more sophisticated solution. That said, OneDrive is sophisticated enough for my small company use case.
Read Tom Wondra's full review
Cesare Arienti profile photo
OneDrive is powerful cloud storage used by 70% of our organization. It gives us mobility, powerful sharing options, and good file history changes.
  • Sharing.
  • File history changes.
  • Syncing issues.
  • Better integration when syncing SharePoint libraries.
OneDrive is very good for any sized-companies. It addresses all the important features of modern cloud storage. It helps file collaboration between teams but is also great for single users that want to sync files with every device (PC, Mobile, Web) in real-time. I can't find a particular scenario where it's not suited.
Read Cesare Arienti's full review
Alicia Meyer profile photo
Our entire organization uses OneDrive for email, document sharing, forms, etc. Staff, faculty, and students all use OneDrive for classes and collaboration. It enables us to share live documents and forms while staying within the university's Microsoft network. It enables instant connection and mobile application for constant information-sharing. Some departments and student groups use it more than others, but all employees are familiar with OneDrive and capable of using it.
  • OneDrive is available online and on mobile platforms. The connection between the two enables employees who work beyond the traditional office setting to access important documents at all times.
  • OneDrive syncs with the network users to automatically load contact information. Sharing is easy. Simply type in another employee or student name, and their email immediately pops up.
  • OneDrive works on the mobile app, but updates made online are often slow to update on the app. I would like to see an instantaneous connection.
  • Finding shared documents on OneDrive is a challenge, and I often find myself searching for documents and folders. A new organization system would increase its functionality.
OneDrive works well because we are a Microsoft-based institution. It connects well with our network and other applications used by the university. The functionality pales in comparison to Google, though. If your organization already uses Microsoft Office, OneDrive offers an easy transition. If you do not use a cloud-based document management system yet and do not rely on Microsoft, look for another current, quick-to-update service. Forms on OneDrive can be helpful, however, live forms that update directly to Excel are difficult to edit, as any changes automatically go to the end of the spreadsheet. If you're dealing with a polished survey, OneDrive is helpful. If it's still developing, it is less helpful.
Read Alicia Meyer's full review
Paul Weber profile photo
OneDrive is our preferred individual cloud storage platform. Students use it for class projects and collaboration, Faculty and staff use it for backup and syncing files across multiple devices. It's great that we have it as part of our O365 subscription, so it is easily available and supportable for all users.
  • Sync - OneDrive does a great job having files available across all devices, particularly the on-demand sync available on Win10 and newer.
  • Backup - I've used file versions and folder versions multiple times to revert to an older copy or undo an accidental deletion.
  • Processing changes - This can take quite a while, particularly when a large number of files have changed or after a reboot.
  • Syncing multiple accounts - It's possible, but not as intuitive as some other cloud storage apps.
OneDrive is great to make sure that all your work files are available everywhere, even on mobile. It's also helpful when your work computer is refreshed, within 5 minutes I have all my files available again! It's less helpful for sharing files that don't need to be sent as-is, video files, in particular, can be a problem because it will try to play them but at the end of the day, it's not a streaming platform.
Read Paul Weber's full review
Shannon McNamara profile photo
Our organization uses OneDrive as essentially a "Google Drive" for our company. For companies that use Microsoft and PCs, this is the easiest option as you don't have to log onto another platform or web browser to have the functions that typical drives provide you with - and you can work on documents easily without going onto an internet browser.
  • Sharing documents
  • Organization across the cloud
  • Unable to work for Macs
  • Mobile app
If your company/organization uses Microsoft or PC mainly and isn't on the Mac/Google train then OneDrive is a perfect solution for you. It is easy to understand and use, and is a great way to bind and organize all of your documents together and collaborate on them as a team.
Read Shannon McNamara's full review
David White profile photo
We use OneDrive to backup each user's desktop and documents and assist with moving to new computers. We also use it to set up shared folder to share documents among team members. We further use it with our clients to share documents that are too big to send via e-mail or that need to be secured.
  • Backup files.
  • Make files accessible where ever you are.
  • Some characters are not allowed in file names and have created issues.
  • More information on how the syncing with the desktop and documents work.
It is great working in a team environment. We set up shared folders and put documents in the folder so everyone can access the files needed. It is also great sharing documents. Since you get 1TB of storage we use it to share large documents/files with clients. We can also set up the files with security when we need to share sensitive information.
Read David White's full review
Jeff Henkel profile photo
December 05, 2019

OneDrive and you're done!

I use OneDrive for almost all my work files. Files I create and files I receive from my clients. The use of OneDrive allows me access to those files from multiple devices so if I am out with a client I can still have access to whatever I store in OneDrive.
  • OneDrive makes it easy to save files to the cloud.
  • Simple setup on your computer.
  • OneDrive allows access on multiple devices away from my main desk.
  • I've not had any negative experience with OneDrive.
OneDrive has worked well for me by having a secure online storage location for files that are not super sensitive. Once it is configured it is as easy as saving a file to know that it is in your OneDrive folder(s).
I would not store any sensitive data in OneDrive.
Read Jeff Henkel's full review
Michael J Mandeville profile photo
OneDrive is being utilized by the support areas of the department to share important information. It is more robust than a network drive in that files are not 'locked down' by a single user, there aren't multiple copied being emailed around, and access control is possible. It is also possible to share files/documents with users in other areas of the company easily.
  • Shared files.
  • Collaborative editing.
  • Access control.
  • Mobile access.
  • Too many options for access.
  • Unclear structure at times.
OneDrive is best suited to any environment where files are utilized and need to be shared. It is best suited to an organization that utilizes Office 365 for the office productivity suite, as collaborative editing is available in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, etc. There is a bit of a learning curve for people used to the 'email me a copy of that' and 'I'll get that off the network drive' mentality. Microsoft has not made it easy to understand the nuances of SharePoint, Outlook Groups, Teams, and OneDrive.
Read Michael J Mandeville's full review
Heath Achatz profile photo
One Drive is currently used in our Street Outreach Program. This program has only one office and most work is done outside of the office. This makes One Drive a good fit for the program. This enables file use and sharing while outreach workers are in the field. A traditional stationary hard drive for files simply would not work. One Drive is used to access files make changes and sync, while our members are mobile. One Drive is used to store presentations, documents, photos, and video files. It makes accessing them on the go easy.
  • One Drive integrates wonderfully with the Microsoft Suite. Word, Excel, and PowerPoint documents are easy to edit and create.
  • One Drive has a fair amount of free storage as well, we have not had to buy storage and have been using it for six years.
  • Sharing documents with others on One Drive is easy as well. The option to view or edit is very useful.
  • The editing in One Drive is limited compared to the computer versions of Word, Excel, and Power Point.
  • One Drive sometimes takes a while to sync files. We have noticed they are not immediately updated.
  • One Drive is not entirely compatible with Goggle Documents, there are some formatting issues when using the same document formats.
One Drive is well suited for anyone who is already and Outlook/Hotmail/Microsoft user. The integration is pretty streamlined. viewing, opening, sharing and editing documents is a breeze. It is particularly suited well for an office on the go. Files can be uploaded and shared with ease. Files sync most of the time relative quick and can be accessed at other mobile sites. Additionally, the storage of pictures and videos for presentations makes it very mobile office friendly. It would work as a cloud backup if it was only used on a desktop.
Read Heath Achatz's full review
Omer Yaqoob profile photo
I am using OneDrive for more 5 years. Initially, I was using it personally but last year after my recommendation our company also switched from Dropbox to OneDrive. It is reliable, intuitive and offers wonderful security features. Most of the data we store on cloud storage is sensitive and requires brick wall security. OneDrive takes good care of it and on top of all, its integration with Windows and Office apps makes it the best among other solutions in the market.
  • Integration with Windows 10 and Office apps.
  • Intuitive interface and folder management.
  • We can edit the documents online and sharing them with others is relatively easy.
  • We cannot open password protected Excel files online.
  • Overall, it is Microsofts best work and there are no other cons.
OneDrive is well suited for every business due to its integrations with Microsoft systems. It can be accessed from any device, it is basically an on the go work station. We can upload/download, view and edit files online. OneDrive has all those features which are required in an office environment.
Read Omer Yaqoob's full review
Nathan Richardson profile photo
We are using OneDrive in a few isolated departments and not companywide. It addresses a constant issue that we have as a SaaS company, which is the storage of sensitive data. We need to store things like lead data, but also need to make sure it is on tight lockdown. OneDrive is good for this.
  • OneDrive is great for securely storing data.
  • Easy and fairly intuitive.
  • Not very hard to teach someone how to use.
  • The downloadable application for the desktop is rather clunky.
  • Free version has very limited storage.
  • Can be a bit flustering at times.
It's great for businesses that have a strong IT team that can handle some of the issues that frequently arise with OneDrive. This is one of the oldest businesses in the industry, and they definitely know what they're doing. I do feel that there are some other companies out there that do a better job with desktop syncing.
Read Nathan Richardson's full review
Kelly Wasden profile photo
I don't think any ONE product can be used solely within an org, but we do a good enough job I feel. We needed a solution that was user-friendly, easy to navigate and use from a permissions standpoint. As a growing org, we desperately needed something to house all of our files instead of relying on everyone keeping multiple copies on computers. Our biggest problem OneDrive helped with is ONE location for all updated marketing materials and projects we are working on.

There are a few people that are using GDrive or Box, etc. but the move to OneDrive was seamless and easy for us to make happen and was done quickly and with relatively low effort.
  • Current copies of updated docs
  • Ease of use with mobile app/Desktop
  • Seamless integration within Microsoft ecosystem
  • Late to the game with Dropbox, Box, etc
  • Need to double down on their app access like their desktop experience
  • Opening up additional file access like MacOS related
I think OneDrive has really always done well in the Microsoft/PC ecosystem. It wasn't until recently that they started to play nice with Apple and allowed additional file management and access across the board - think Skype. OneDrive is perfect for file collaboration and is added seamlessly with their suite of products like Outlook and Office, allowing you to easily upload files and save them from emails. For companies that are using Gmail for business, I would LOVE to see more collaboration here since they are working well with Android these days.

I still feel that OneDrive is mainly focused at the enterprise level and not so much as friendly for smaller startup appeal-like GDrive would be. There's still a lot of market share and if Microsoft can nail down SMB in a more friendly manner I think they can take some share from Google.
Read Kelly Wasden's full review
John Carter profile photo
This platform has helped me in storing my very personal and professional stuff in a very secure way. It has assisted me in storing my confidential files. Gives me ample opportunity to check this tool and make the decision to choose it. A great invention by Microsoft which also helps you in keeping direct connection with email.
  • Gives you 15 GB free space to store your precious data.
  • Links you with other applications of Microsoft by just a click away.
  • A very secure and safe platform which prevents you from all sorts of malware.
  • It should give more space than 15 GB for free because it is used quickly.
  • It gives support to a limited size of the document which can be annoying.
  • Sometimes the files that are uploaded are altered which leads to mismanagement and irritation for the user.
  • Although still being very safe, it is still prone to hackers which can be a worry.
OneDrive is very fit program as it allows you an easy and quick mode of file sharing and storing. Helps you in relieving you of taking hard drives from one place to another and secure storage of your data which you can access anywhere in the world. It can be used to store presentations, documents, pictures and lots more.
Read John Carter's full review
Emily Sullivan profile photo
It is being used by me individually at the moment and we haven't started collaboration. It is a good option for saving files on the go and accessing them from anywhere.
  • It came with our Office 365 license and was very easy to install and set up.
  • Decent amount of included storage.
  • Flexible options regarding which folder to sync at which device.
  • Security.
  • File sharing with other Office 365 users can be a bit confusing.
OneDrive is perfect for those who work across devices and locations to access your files from anywhere. It is also ideal if you have big files because it provides plenty of room compared to other cloud products. However, it is not suitable for PHI storage.
Read Emily Sullivan's full review
Arnab Mukherjee profile photo
OneDrive is being used as a solution to save user files and documents and synchronize the data with other endpoint user devices. We recently moved our users to use Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) and we used this storage solution to store the data. This became available to us with Office365.
  • Data availability when using a different system. I save documents on my work computer and I can access it from my personal computer when logged in using the same corporate account.
  • There is no need for an external drive to plug in and copy data.
  • Speed of data synchronization.
  • Storage restriction. Since this is being shared there will be a restriction on how much data you can save.
With OneDrive, you can save documents and access document everywhere. No need of carrying physical hard drive/Pen drive which is not secure. No need to worry about backing up your data.
Read Arnab Mukherjee's full review
December 13, 2019

Use it if you have Office

We have standardized on Microsoft Office products as a company so we use OneDrive as our cloud-based file storage and sharing software. We use it to transfer files between coworkers without having to send them as attachments. This also allows us to collaborate on certain projects by doing basic version control instead of having static versions on different computers.
  • Office Integration
  • File Sharing
  • Ease of reverting versions
  • Speed of synching
If a coworker asked me what software to use, I would recommend OneDrive because of the company standardization and the integration into Microsoft Office. If someone who didn't already have a standardized software platform asked me then I would probably recommend looking at other options just because I have had hit-or-miss success with the reliability of syncing to the cloud. I use it to sync files between two laptops that I use but there have been a few times where I swapped laptops but the second laptop was missing a file that hadn't synced yet, even though plenty of time was available to sync. It's great for sending large files to people because you can specify their level of activity (download/view only or edit as well).
We use OneDrive as a repository of files in many formats. Actually we use it to support our customers (files that are created/used along our projects) and our service providers (partners that complement our work). OneDrive allows a collaborative approach without transferring files via other tools (e-mail, WhatsApp, Skype, etc.). It avoids all the problems regarding versioning of a file. OneDrive is great for us, because we have different professionals working on the same file along distinct phases of a project.
  • A big strength is the full compability with Microsoft tools (Excel, Word, PPT, etc.).
  • It is very easy and simple to use and to organise files in folders.
  • New features would make OneDrive more useful as part of project management, especially when there are several people or areas collaborating and working on the same file (simple flows, additional controls of versioning, etc.).
  • A simple preview of each file (before opening it) would be interesting, especially when we have so many files stored.
I think OneDrive is really great as a storage tool. If you need to store and manage your files, you should definitively test OneDrive. If you need to use it as a collaborative tool, there may be some restrictions, depending on your scenario, especially if you have a lot of people to collaborate with, but it works. It is important to keep in mind that OneDrive is a storage tool with sharing/collaborative features--it is not a project management tool with storage features.
We use OneDrive as our primary file storage and sharing system. It has replaced all internal file servers in our organization. Because it maps directly to the user's Documents and Desktop, the amount of training required is much less. File syncing between office desktops and mobile devices is seamless and transparent.
  • Scanning from mobile devices is smooth and has replaced all other mobile file scanning software.
  • Integration with Windows Explorer is a much better experience compared to competitors. User training is much simpler.
  • Branding is confusing in a corporate environment - OneDrive vs. OneDrive for Business.
  • Need more flexibility in naming the top-level folder in our organization.
If you are in a Microsoft ecosystem, OneDrive is the easiest to train end-users. In a mixed Windows / Mac environment, the Mac users have fewer features, but still comparable to competitors like Dropbox. File-sharing between users and integration with Outlook is very solid. The syncing is fast and has never corrupted our files. OneDrive is not a substitute for backups, and we still use a standard 3-2-1 backup strategy.
I use it to store promotional material information, pictures, and documents. I use it to back up those same files. It is a really easy way to keep information backed up online and access that information from anywhere on all my devices. I also use it to share my files with colleagues as needed.
  • Ease of access/easy to learn.
  • Easy sharing and retrieval of files.
  • On Windows sometimes files default to One Drive when I want them on the computer.
I think OneDrive is a great tool for someone just getting into cloud storage that regularly uses Windows computers. It is very easy to learn and use because it works almost like any other file on your computer. If you are primarily using Apple or Android devices, then it may be easier to use Google Drive or Apple's cloud services.
OneDrive is used by my entire organization and has been for at least four years. It was an additional Microsoft product that came with an organization-wide email upgrade and was subsequently made available to everyone. My department uses it regularly as we frequently work remotely while traveling on business, so it provides access to necessary documents/files.
  • Cloud storage.
  • Multi-device syncing.
  • Desktop access glitches/shuts down.
  • More aesthetically pleasing interface.
OneDrive is very useful for organizations with people located in different buildings and/or frequent travelers, as it provides virtual access to documents and files. My team uses it to share/host working documents among those of us who travel 20-40 percent of the time, meaning we no longer have to email documents back and forth but can instead access them from the cloud.
OneDrive is deployed and used across the whole organization in our company. Every department and employee is a user of this giant cloud storage solution by Microsoft. OneDrive is our solution to data storage with security, backups, sharing capabilities and flexible storage requirements. The biggest problem it solves for us to help store data in the cloud so that a loss of hard disk or device does not make us lose our valuable data as well. In fact, this data in the wrong hands could have a major negative impact, so security is also our major concern. Thirdly, sharing of large amounts of data and allowing the whole team to work collaboratively on any file or document is another challenge that is catered through this solution.
  • OneDrive stores data securely and allows us to access it anywhere, anytime.
  • One of the best things about it is the super cool and easy to understand or work on, User Interface.
  • I would love to have more views on the web and mobile interfaces of OneDrive.
  • Another additional good to have feature would be to quickly know which file is shared with whom in the desktop version especially.
If cost or pricing is not a problem for you then OneDrive is the best solution for all your cloud storage needs and requirements. It has a fixed cost of bundle/packages of data which may not be suitable for everyone. Also, if you are already users of Microsoft applications or solutions, it would be a great idea to have this software because of well it plays and integrates with Microsoft applications.
OneDrive is currently (hopefully not permanently) my agency's document storage solution, used across the entire entity to collaborate and share files. My department (Research & Evaluation) has a large number of digital files that need storage, from workflow resources to form templates, feedback survey results, training documents, departmental position descriptions, and more.
  • There is no regard in which OneDrive is superior to competitors on the market, other than being part of the Microsoft Office environment. Even this is negligible, however, as these apps often struggle to play nice (even with each other).
  • First and foremost, the browser versions of this and all Microsoft software MUST be improved and caught up to speed with the desktop versions. which have greatly expanded functionality. It's 2019, there's no reason for this disparity to persist any longer.
  • Sign-In is a major pain area for all of the software in the Microsoft Suite. It's impossible to navigate using browser back- and forward-buttons without being forced to sign in again, and navigating to the homepage for OneDrive takes you to a sales page instead of a sign-in (to get to your OneDrive Business sign-on page you are best served to navigate using a 3-click path from another tab already signed into OneDrive).
The only time you should ever find yourself using OneDrive is when your employer has mandated that the entire office will be using Microsoft, and there is no change possible. Literally in any other use case, you should be using Google Drive instead, or if you have highly sensitive materials requiring a high level of security a subscription-based service instead of either.

Versioning (69)
Video files (80)
Audio files (74)
Document collaboration (85)
Access control (86)
File search (91)
Device sync (89)
User and role management (76)
File organization (87)
Device management (70)
Performance (89)
Reliability (90)
Storage Reports (68)

About OneDrive

OneDrive from Microsoft is a cloud storage and file syncing service.