Looker helps us organize our business data
September 27, 2019

Looker helps us organize our business data

Overall Satisfaction with Looker

Looker is being used across our entire organization and by every single department. We generally use Looker to address business-related metrics like health checks, MRR, C$R. It is a single source for us to determine how our business is progressing. It is a great tool to get cross-functional data and use that to provide feedback or make changes to our structure or initiatives.
  • SQL Capabilities
  • Pivots and calculations
  • Easy filtering
  • The visualization isn't the best
  • The left sidebar coloring makes it hard to see what is selected (bad for accessibility)
I used Mixpanel a bit a while ago at the same company and our set-up of the program wasn't good so it was impossible to find what I needed to do my reporting. Now with Looker the setup is generally solid and if you have SQL Runner access in Looker you can get anything you need.
With SQL Runner and the proper SQL skills and access you can merge data easily. The built-in merges are not great so for a general marketer or sales person it may be tough to get what you need if it hasn't already been built-in by your BI or product teams.
I find it very easy to share reports with people (especially because of the temporary URL's when editing a query). The dashboards are a nice feature, especially since you can send them out automatically. This is beneficial for waterfalls and other notifications.
I love Looker and it helps on the "money" side of the business to see where you stand. I generally don't like using it for product data because the visualization isn't great. If you are comfortable and familiar with excel and SQL, Looker is an easy transition and you will pick it up quite quickly.

Looker Feature Ratings

Pixel Perfect reports
Customizable dashboards
Report Formatting Templates
Drill-down analysis
Formatting capabilities
Integration with R or other statistical packages
Report sharing and collaboration
Publish to Web
Publish to PDF
Report Versioning
Report Delivery Scheduling
Pre-built visualization formats (heatmaps, scatter plots etc.)
Location Analytics / Geographic Visualization
Multi-User Support (named login)
Role-Based Security Model
Multiple Access Permission Levels (Create, Read, Delete)
Responsive Design for Web Access