Miro is all about collaborating
October 25, 2021

Miro is all about collaborating

I currently use it with students and colleagues. With students, we use it in brainstorming sessions, portfolio presentations, and a wide variety of discussions. I also use it to correct architectural designs from design studios. Remotely, it is a good alternative for students to present their work to others and help collaborate. With other professors, we usually use it to prepare classes and organize our workflow.
  • Portfolio presentations.
  • Brainstorming sessions.
  • Organize design processes.
  • Lightweight workflow (maybe load info/features as required).
  • Real scale options (Let's say I want to make a specific size of a template).
  • A better way to organize different projects/groups.
  • Copy/paste figures.
  • Improved productivity.
  • Better collaboration processes.
  • Workflow organization.
It is an important tool to be used during remote collaboration sessions and make students present their work. Once we are back to in-person classes, they should still be used as presentation boards. Miro provided a nice learning process to teach and practice collaboration. Students are now familiar with terms and different strategies.
This is something that should be improved. The adoption of Metadata classification (example: Name of contributors as metadata that could be downloaded in a CSV file) could help to integrate Miro with other tools such as Notion, Excel, or other tools. [An] automatic layout for printing optimization could be useful when the board design itself is not necessary and could help to grade student works. Copying and pasting images would be a plus.
It definitely helped my students to communicate with me and each other. The design process is now more fluid than with the previous tools we were using. Some professors are still reluctant to adopt it, but in most cases, it facilitates sharing content and ideas for courses that are taught together.

When compared with task management, the other tools work better because they are simply lighter and integrated with other tools. However, collaboration sessions are easier in Miro, so we still use different products for different purposes. As for other activities such as writing, Miro does not offer a good way to work.
In my opinion, it does not suit well AGILE processes as I understand there is better software for that. Exporting info is something that could make it more suitable. During discussions, it works, but not a good way to create definite frameworks. As for design sessions and portfolio presentations it works quite nicely.