Atom Reviews

Jonah Dempcy | TrustRadius Reviewer
June 01, 2020

Highly Customizable IDE With Excellent Git Integration

I use Atom for C++ development because I enjoy its user interface and I like how extensible it is. I first discovered Atom when a mentor of mine introduced me to the Beta. I was immediately drawn to the fact that it has support for plugins written in Node.js, which I am a big fan of. I also like its Git integration. The fact that the whole app is written in what are essentially web development technologies also appeals to me, given my history in web development. Since I do a lot of Android development, I use Android Studio. However, for the JNI layer and native code (written in C++, in my case) I prefer using Atom over Android Studio.
  • Git integration
  • Plugin ecosystem
  • C++ development
  • Sometimes things do not work as expected. Atom has improved a lot over the last couple of years, but it still could use some polish.
  • Atom needs plugins for quality-of-life improvements. This is not necessarily a bad thing, as it allows you to customize Atom to suit your needs.
  • It would be nice if Atom had some recommended starter packages that come with popular plugins for highlighting, soft-wrapping and so on.
  • There are some plugins that could be turned into core Atom features, like Linter and Beautify.
Atom is excellent for writing code in any of its supported languages, although for Java, C#, or Objective C, it would probably not be my first choice. The reason is that there are other more robust IDEs that are made especially for those languages (e.g. Eclipse, Visual Studio, and Xcode). I use Atom for writing C++ but I also love it for web development. It's great when you want to customize your development environment for your particular workflow and have time to spare digging into the nitty-gritty of configuration, as well as trying out a lot of different plugins and removing the ones that don't work well. In general, it's great when you have the time to set it up right, and not as good when you want to get moving quickly without a lot of configuration.
Read Jonah Dempcy's full review
Patrick Fong | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 15, 2020

Solid editor but since eclipsed by VSCode

We used to use Atom as our code editor of choice for our dynamically typed language. Atom comes with fantastic syntax highlighting and other plugins out of the box that make writing code a breeze. Whenever we have to write HTML, CSS, Javascript, or Python, we used to use Atom. Some engineers also use Atom with some extra plugins for quick text manipulation, such as when they need to format strips, strip out lots of whitespaces, or prefix an unnumbered list with numbers. We have since switched over to VSCode (more on that later), but I would say that Atom is still a good choice if you are already using it.
  • Cross platform support for Windows, Mac, and Linux.
  • Helpful community of people on the forums to ask for help.
  • Development on the Atom source code has greatly stalled since Microsoft purchased GitHub.
  • Many plugin developers moved their plugins onto VSCode and stopped maintaining their Atom version.
My recommendation depends on whether my colleague is already using Atom or not. If they are not using Atom, I sincerely find VSCode to be a slightly better editor with a much brighter future in terms of feature development, upcoming plugins, and support. So they should start with VSCode. However, if they are already using Atom, I see no reason to switch for the time being. Atom was a great editor for a long time, and though feature development has stalled, it continues to perform well. It will meet most people's needs when it comes to editing dynamically typed languages.
Atom has an active forum and a Slack group where you can ask technical questions. Occasionally, the authors will pop in to answer a few questions here and there, but most of the time, its other helpful users who will assist you. Though they aren't the most knowledgeable, they are at least timely.
As for plugin support, that differs with each plugin, but as I mentioned before, many plugins are no longer maintained.
Read Patrick Fong's full review
Suleman Ahmad | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 30, 2020

Used Atom about 1 year

In our organization (software house), it is totally developers' choice in the engineering department to choose the IDE of their own choice. I was impressed by the shortcuts of Atom like Toggle Comment, Column Selection, Select Same Words, etc. and to install the Packages for ease of development. So that's why I migrated to it.
  • Built-in package manager.
  • Smart auto completion feature was great.
  • Due to some default settings, when I opened the file in Atom and commit it on Git it shows almost every line is changed so my PR is looking too big/ugly.
  • I think omitting the empty spaces should not be the default setting.
  • Performance needs some attention.
Features that Atom has provided were superb. I was able to do a lot of things with shortcuts like duplicate word selections, tree hierarchy of folders, the drag/drop file/folder support, etc.
I have not gotten a chance to talk to the support team, so that's why I'm giving a neutral rating.
Read Suleman Ahmad's full review
Samuel Hadid | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 22, 2020

Another user review of Atom

Atom [text editor] is not being used across the whole organization, though many people use it for software development. Its compatibility with many programming/scripting languages is great. It helps a lot with creating programs because it is preloaded with a coloring scheme that highlights libraries, reserved words, and even autofill some functions, which makes it even faster to code. Other users use other text editors, but most of us stick with Atom whenever possible.
  • Compatibility
  • Ease of use
  • C compatibility sometimes is not that great
  • File extensions dictate editing functionality (i.e., no html auto-fill if file not saved as .html)
Atom is great for beginners, for experienced coders, and casual programmers. Is easy to use, easy to export files, easy to identify components, easy to read, and it's pretty good for code reviewing. As we all know, it is always better to review code directly from the compiler/editor used, but if not possible, Atom is an excellent option.
I never got to reach out to the support team for an urgent/critical matter, but simple functionality or features that required understanding, or submitting a feature request found after using the product for specific use (specific javascript coding features that could be done through other products)
Read Samuel Hadid's full review
Daniel Städeli | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 18, 2020

WordPress developers get ready for the ATOM bomb...!

We use Atom for coding in different software projects. All developers use Atom, but we also have other editors available. The GIT integration of Atom makes our workflow more manageable. The FTP plugin also helps to connect and edit files on the server directly.
  • Git integration
  • FTP integration
  • Git integration is very complicated to set up.
  • In general Atom offers complex features that require time to get familiarized with.
Well suited for developers and people who are writing with text editors all day. Not so suitable for casual use, as it is rather complex to use efficiently, and it takes a couple of seconds more to open than Notepad.
Documentation is pretty extensive and thorough.
Read Daniel Städeli's full review
Jason Smith, DPA | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 16, 2020

Atom is a solid editor for the long run

We use Atom to edit code on the Mac and Windows platform. As a technologist, I do recommend this editor to both faculty and students because it is free and open-source. It is a good text editor and code editor with lots of functionality. It is modern and seems rather stable. I think it will be around for quite a while.
  • Edit code in multiple windows.
  • Atom is available on many computing platforms.
  • Atom seems to be a bit aggressive with the "help" and "tip" system. You have to turn that stuff off or it is annoying.
  • On occasion, sometimes a package does not work, they need to pull those.
Atom is quick to install and get going across a variety of platforms. The open-source nature says that this editor will always be around. I would recommend this editor to someone new to editing code. There is a good help and tip system. I don't think that this editor would appeal to minimalists because it is way maximum on what you can do. Lots of features and lots of configuration that is possible.
Atom has fantastic readmes, help function, and tips. Also, this being an Open Source piece of software, you get good community support. The project is on Git so you can identify it there are bugs or other wonkiness. Now, OSS support is not for everyone, but it works for most developers who are worth something.
Read Jason Smith, DPA's full review
Walter Aho | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 16, 2020

Robust and well organized.

I've been using Atom to code custom websites for my organization, and previously for a small web design company. While I am the sole user in my organization, I use Atom to code in PHP (for custom WordPress sites), HTML, some javascript, and even SASS for CSS. The ability to manage an entire project in one environment is key to a good workflow.
  • Color Coding for ease of organization.
  • Excellent customization - visually and functionally.
  • Integrated SASS compilers (or similar) would be a great asset.
  • The ability to create "draft" or backups of files would be a nice feature.
Atom does a great job of allowing you to work in multiple coding languages (in my case, HTML, PHP, Javascript, and CSS/SASS) with no confusion. The color-coding, organization, and ability to customize your workspace is extremely helpful as well. The addition of packages, for FTP upload, for example, makes for a quick and easy workflow.
I haven't needed to use customer support for Atom. I've found either trial and error or the use of forums to be more than sufficient.
Read Walter Aho's full review
Matthew James | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 09, 2020

Atom(s), Don't trust em, they make up everything. But it's not so bad, be like a proton and be positive!

As a preface, I no longer use Atom and I will make sure to include as to why within this review. As a sys-admin, you'd think that we don't mess with code that much but we do more than you think! I moved over to Atom from using the traditional editor like Notepad++ and it was a much welcome improvement. However, over time I found that it was actually more difficult than I thought. I used it to edit configs for multiple scripts, OS configs, ARM options, etc. Things that could be easily edited in N++ but I liked the debugging and error checking. But it started to fall short.
  • Debugging
  • Error reporting
  • Usability
  • Overall design and layout
Atom is deferentially for the more seasoned and experienced programmer. I do not consider myself extremely well versed in any programming language, however, I do know my way around them. So like I said, veterans and folks whose jobs are to code would benefit from Atom more than a sys-admin and tinkerer like myself. There are way better options out there for folks who do not code professionally or in a production environment.
I never used any official support for Atom and always relied on community sourced support. From what I gathered, and looking back on it now, Atom was for the more advanced programmer and not quite for tinkerers and occasional editors such as myself. The community was helpful which is why I didn't rate this lower. I can't comment on support directly from Atom.
Read Matthew James's full review
Xiaotong Song | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 23, 2020

Best local tool, wish to have it on the cloud

Atom is widely used in my organization for data scientists. Even though the IDE is not required it is preferred by most of our data scientists. Compared to other IDEs such as PyCharm, the tool is allowing the users to edit multiple codes instead of only python but also R and unix.
  • Integration.
  • Easy to check.
  • Nice structure.
  • Cannot run code directly.
  • Not working with notebook.
  • Wish it can be added onto ec2.
If you are working on the local environment and with multiple type of code in the same time, Atom is one of the best tools you can choose from the market. However, if your work need tons of RAM and you have to get it to run on the cloud, it is not suitable.
Atom has a lot of nice documentation that provides you all the information that you might need when writing code on code. What is more, if you can any question in the specific code that you are currently using or Atom document is not covered you can always check it online.
Read Xiaotong Song's full review
March 30, 2020

Atom data scientists overall satisfaction

Atom is being used across the entire organization and most of the data scientists in my company are currently using it under local environment. Even though Atom is just an option and not required to be used, most of my colleagues including myself prefer to use it due to its interface.
  • Easy.
  • Clear.
  • Multi-language.
  • Cloud base.
  • ec2.
  • Execution.
Atom is suitable if you are a data scientist who is not easily [intimidated] with code and object oriented programming layout, and actively working on either creating or improving multiple python packages under different environments locally. It is less appropriate for a business analyst who is not used to writing code.
It depends on your expectations. As a free product, you would not expect someone to be there 24/7 ready to answer any of your questions in a timely fashion. As a popular tool, you can easily search for the information you need online.
Mark Nowowiejski | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 04, 2019

Code writing made fast and simple

Atom is a free text editor that is outstanding for writing made forms of code. I currently use if for composing HTML, CSS, Javascript, and JSON for local testing prior to uploading code to an LMS or CMS.
  • Atom is highly customizable and allows for various themes and extensions that can make your code easier to read.
  • Atom has many code hinting features that allow users to write faster and integrate with services likeLINT that can clean up your code once your done to meet your internal teams style choices.
  • It's very fast and manages projects well - Accessing other files within a related folder(s) is very easy and intuitive.
  • It's free!
  • The basic setting it comes with aren't very user-friendly, and if you're new to code editing you might struggle with getting it set-up in an effective way.
  • I sometimes have issues with Atom launching from Command line on a MAC(Hyper).
  • Dreamweaver users my dislike the lack of a 'design view' but there workarounds.
I think Atom is pretty standard to most serious coders as it's lightweight, fast, and free. Some people prefer VS Studio which is a very similar product.
It's really easy to use and more important customize to my liking. There are tons of free themes available on a place like GitHub and each one is customizable after download and installation.
Read Mark Nowowiejski's full review
Chaithra Kamath | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 21, 2019

A 'hackable' editor by GitHub

My team uses it to develop and maintain our websites using HTML, JavaScript and Django, a python based framework. It is also used as a general purpose text editor. It's light weight too. It also gave us functions comparable to that of a IDE without all the memory usage. It's open source and easily customizable. We also found it to have one of the best GIT integrations among its competitors.
  • Opensource : While Sublime is a good editor which is comparable to Atom, it's not opensource. Atom is opensource. Which makes it easier to tailor it to suit your needs.
  • Autocomplete: Atom automatically variable names, functions and constructs, it also closes the brackets as soon as you open one. Which helps me avoid syntax errors.
  • Simplicity : It maintains simplicity without sacrificing important features.
  • GIT Integration : Considering that it's built by GitHub, it's no surprise that Atom has a very good GIT integration.
  • Startup is a bit slow. Memory management can be improved.
  • Support for syntax highlighting for some languages are missing.
  • Some plugins randomly crash and Atom stops responding. Uninstalling the plugin that crashed usually solves this.
  • Search engine does not work as you would expect it to work.
It is well suited for new programmers who are looking for a free editor to start coding. It also supports most major languages out there. You can use the same software to develop a program in Java, python and many other languages. It is also cross-platform. It is a bare-bones code editor that you can build up to your
liking using the available plugins to extend the functionalities.
The community is very helpful and active. Most of the problems are solved with a quick google search. We have not experienced any major issues with Atom yet.
Read Chaithra Kamath's full review
December 05, 2019

For web developers Atom has feature-sets that make development very easy

We use Atom as our coding platform for everything on our website. It is integrated with git so we have version control. It is a very fast and free alternative to using Adobe Dreamweaver which is the subscription we have.
  • Integration with GIT.
  • Code coloring.
  • Code hints.
  • A better live HTML code rendering system.
HTML, CSS, and Javascript are flawless. Code hints provide an easy way to code.
Great online resources for help. They have a large community of users who post regularly. Finding help is not a problem at all with such a large community.
November 23, 2019

A solid editor that will not disappoint

As an open-source editor, several people within my organization are currently using the power of Atom as their code editor of choice. Because Atom is relatively basic in interface with the added benefit of countless plugins contributed by the larger community, Atom is generally the most recommended editor in my organization outside of Visual Studio Code.
  • Usability: Atom is very user-friendly. Its interface is clean and the entire application is incredibly simple to navigate even for users new to editors
  • Cross-Platform Experience: No matter your system, Atom works the same which makes providing demos and examples pretty seamless
  • Community Driven Plugin Development: Because the community is able to contribute plugins, Atom is extremely useful regardless of what you are trying to do. Working on the Go? There's a plugin for that. Working with infrastructure as code using Terraform? Plugin for that. Editing chef code? There's also a plugin for that.
  • Memory Hog: Using Atom, Slack, and Chrome on a laptop that isn't completely specked out is a recipe for disaster. Try opening Spotify, I dare you.
As a general rule, I always recommend Atom to someone new to editors or someone looking for a simple editor that is powerful but easy to get used to. For users that are new to any kind of code maintenance, Atom is a real treat. It doesn't have the clutter of Visual Studio Code in the user interface but it is just as powerful and extensible from a plugin perspective.
While I have not interacted with any kind of official support, this tool is so community-driven that it's easy to find help if you need it.
August 03, 2019

A text editor for general analytics workflows made easy

Atom is being used by my team as one of the primary text editors for data analytics and machine learning workflows when it comes to making modifications to code and writing analytic SQL queries. The primary business problem it addresses is a cross-platform analytics tool that all our team members can use to make changes to code. It also allows for plugin extensibility, and thereby reduces the amount of friction when sharing text and code that needs highlighting.
  • Extensibility via plugins.
  • Code highlighting in various languages.
  • Cross-platform support.
  • User-support.
  • Bug and crash handling.
  • Lagging when connected to a server.
Atom is well-suited when you need a cross-platform text editor that is basic and highlights code well. This is not an integrated development environment, and therefore you should focus on finding one of those programs instead if your goal is to have a whole testing, run, and automation suite. This works well for rudimentary editing supported by external tools that do running or testing.
Atom is relatively open-source, as much as it was created by GitHub. They have since been purchased by Microsoft, so there isn't as good of support for this editor that was originally intended to be open-source anyway.
Steven Puringi | TrustRadius Reviewer
June 12, 2019

Atom- A freelancers review

Since I am a semi-professional freelancer, Atom is very useful in my exploits in interactive web development. The packages that can be added onto the IDE are very useful, they save time, assist in code structure and development. packages such as HTML Preview help save time between tests as it capture whatever changes I make to the code and displays it in real time, Text Select is another that identifies text of the same name when clicked upon so I can debug my code much more efficiently if need be, Emmit is another that enable short-hand coding which also saves time in terms of tag creations. These a but o few of packages that Atom has to offer to make web development much more efficient and flexible for developers.
  • Real-time code previewing.
  • Word selection highlights.
  • Shorthand coding.
  • In terms of processing, if too many packages installed it tends to slow the PC.
  • Should also branch out to other languages in terms of ease of use and flexibility.
Definitely well suited if you are a freelancing web developer or student because it is free and is open source. Its ease of use and various functionality, depending on packages, is very helpful for beginners and even experts. it is well suited for any task big or small as long as you have the drive and desire to create.
Read Steven Puringi's full review
Dylan Cauwels | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 26, 2019

Atom- the perfect script solution

Atom is used as a small scripting tool by mainly myself and a few others. It's a perfect tool for drumming up a rapid solution to any problem-- in our case, aws and infrastructure problems. It has enough tools and plug-ins to help you debug a script, but still remains incredibly lightweight and quick to deploy.
  • Lightweight solution. Unmatched in the ability to drum up a script, test it, and deploy it until a more permanent solution is available.
  • Adaptable to almost any situation. Need to do a SQL script? There's a plugin that will allow you to connect to your database or a sample one and run your code. General scripts can be run straight from the program instead of the command line with the "script" plugin. There are even scripts that will "beautify" ugly code for you to fix "that guy's" code.
  • Should have account-based customization so that plugins sync across machines. Currently, you have to individually install each plugin/environment on every machine that you encounter, which can be incredibly time consuming and frustrating after the first time.
Well suited for small, lightweight solutions to problems that need to be made quickly and effectively. My implementation was used mainly for infrastructure scripting and automation processes through python3 and Ansible. Not very good for large application programming, as it won't remember keywords/class names/method names very well and will often suggest wrong fields that would result in errors. Also not very good at catching errors, as it's meant to be lightweight and therefore doesn't have those indexing capabilities.
Read Dylan Cauwels's full review
Matthew Deakyne | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 28, 2019

Atom: You have to build it bit by bit.

Atom is being used by select individuals at the University of Kansas, and not by the organization as a whole. Its used primarily as a simple text editor, but can be configured to be used as a full IDE. It is highly configurable to domain-specific problems, but its core competency is text editing.
  • Highly configurable. Atom has packages that can be managed through the application or via command line. This gives it incredible power for advanced users.
  • Blank Start. Atom opens up by default to a blank note page which can be saved anywhere. It can also be used to open projects, but sometimes notes aren't attached to specific projects. This is useful for quick notes.
  • Run anywhere. Due to it being an electron application, Atom can run on Windows/Mac and Linux. This is incredibly powerful, and a surprising differentiator for a desktop application.
  • Lack of sync. Atom doesn't have sync built in. I know this can be configured to work with Dropbox or Git, but web applications that sync have a clear advantage.
  • Lack of mobile. Not all notes are taken on a computer, and several other note taking apps have an option to take and review notes on a phone.
  • Lack of built-in IDE features. Atom can be configured to be an IDE, but other applications are IDEs by default. It takes a good amount of configuration to bring atom up to that level.
Atom is great for people that need a desktop text editor, and who like to customize their experience. It's incredibly powerful and serves as a good backup to a full-fledged IDE. It probably won't appeal to those that have to do complex development work, or to those that prefer a web-experience due to the automated syncing.
Read Matthew Deakyne's full review
Dhruba Jyoti Nag | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 10, 2019

Atom: an editor for the 21st century

Atom is mostly used by developers across my current organizations. It is a highly customizable editor with many new developer-friendly features. It can also be custom built to suit individual needs. These customizations have quickly made it a favorite with many developers using Atom. In otherways, Atom brings the best of Sublime Text and Notepad++ together.
  • Customizations
  • Active community for package support
  • Rich user interface
  • Performance: it's resource hungry
  • Stability across OS
  • Issue loading and manipulating big files
Atom is extensible, it has an active package community and integrated package manager. It is ideal for editing in different programming languages. There is also a fair amount of community support for the different issues one may face. But it is slow compared to other light text editors and cannot handle really large files like a database dump well.
Read Dhruba Jyoti Nag's full review
Reges Mendes | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 04, 2019

Why do I use Atom?

I use it for myself since the department policy allows us to choose our preferred editor. I use it to write code usually for websites, i.e. PHP, CSS, JS, and HTML files.
  • It have a nice encoding handling approach. Some editors don't work properly with different encoding files in the same project and Atom deals with that in a almost transparent way.
  • The approach of folders like projects is also more productive than that complex way like another old standard editors.
  • The resource of collapsing blocks of code is very useful in a developers' daily.
  • The "search in directory" option could have a hotkey (shortcut).
  • The editor could keep search results on tabs, allowing to browse between several searches.
  • The editor could support "CTRL+click" as "go to declaration" feature. It's a kind of standard that I still miss, I often need to go to the declaration of a variable or method and find it by search, specially when you just can have one search at once, is really a pain.
It's more appropriated when the developer does not have to work with many projects at once and the project is not too big.
Read Reges Mendes's full review
David McCann | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 22, 2018

Atom editor - multi-cursor mode for the win!

I am the only user of Atom at my organization, but it was the editor of choice at my previous job. It is used for quick-and-dirty text manipulation, as well as for C# and Javascript coding.
  • Atom has an amazing plugin library that is easy to use and integrates seamlessly.
  • Specifically, Atom's multi-cursor plug-in functionality provides a powerful method for manipulating text in bulk.
  • Atom provides good syntax highlighting and other interactive support for a number of programming languages through its available plug-ins.
  • Some of Atom's default UX could be improved. Depending on your previous workspace, it can open with two panes and a welcome tab in each, requiring you to close lots of cruft on startup.
  • Atom's documentation and plugin marketplace could be a little more discoverable.
Atom is great as a general-purpose text editor, and is especially powerful for bulk text editing, and scripting languages where a more heavy-weight IDE isn't as appropriate (e.g. Javascript, Coffeescript, Ruby, Python, etc.)
Read David McCann's full review
Abraham García | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 18, 2018

Excellent open source editor

We are using this software throughout the systems department of our organization. It is totally free software so it means a significant saving of money when it comes to paying software licenses. Atom is very versatile and adapts to everything since it has a number of downloadable packages that increase the functions that come by default.
  • Supports a large number of programming languages.
  • It has a large number of packages that increase functionality.
  • Has integration with Git. Projects are automatically synchronized with the Git repository.
  • It is very customizable. You can change all styles of editor jobs.
  • It's heavy. The initial load of the software can take a long time.
  • When you open a file or navigate between the different tabs, the reaction time may be a bit longer than expected.
  • If you have a computer with few resources then I would not recommend it.
Atom is one of the best existing code editors on the market. It is very appropriate for any freelance developer or company since it is totally free. I would not recommend it for computers with low RAM, in this case, Atom can be a bit stressful. But in most cases, Atom has an unmatched performance.
Read Abraham García's full review
Ian Nate | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 17, 2018

Best free editor on the interwebs!

I needed a free or freemium code editor. I had previously used Coda for Mac, and really liked it, but needed something quickly and really wanted something to use across both Mac and Windows. Plus, they had some plugins that I really liked, the code formatting was solid, and keyboard shortcuts were fantastic. I've used Atom primarily for PHP, Javascript, HTML and CSS for a few years now. Since we haven't had a standard editor anywhere I've worked, I've always just pieced together what I'm using. I like it much better than Notepad ++, VIM, and got pretty frustrated with Komodo on Mac. Atom was a great solution and I can use it on both platforms.
  • Code formatting for different languages. Does a solid job, I know this is basic for a code editor, but had to be mentioned. Also can reduce indented code.
  • Extensible via packages. I really like the Minimap plugin, the File Icons plugin, Beautify, etc.
  • Along with being extensible, it's also "hackable" -- you can write your own plugins or extensions. I like how customizable it is out of the box -- helps to fit your workflow, rather than forcing your process into whatever code editor you're using.
  • Performance can be a little slow when editing a bunch of files, executing code or switching between tabs.
  • I wish they had more guidance on HOW to customize Atom out of the box -- it's kind of a pain to go through all the packages and settings and figure out what works best for you.
  • Still relatively new, so can be buggy here and there, although releases seem to be very consistent.
I'd say for frontend development and web development, it shines. PHP, HTML, CSS, and Javascript are all pretty seamless. Not sure how it would hold up with backend heavy development -- Python, Ruby, C++, Java, etc... Seems like occasionally slow performance might keep it from really shining in that environment. For me, it's a no-brainer for web development though, and that's my primary usage. A lot of backend users still seem to use Sublime.
Read Ian Nate's full review
Violeta Calvo Ilundain | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 20, 2018

Develope your web code with Atom

Atom is my main text editor for developing code. It is built by the GitHub team and has a native integration of Git, which is very helpful. Available for OSX, Windows and Linux, it is my favorite text editor for both work and personal projects.
  • Native Git integration.
  • Optional plugins and customization.
  • Cross-platform
  • Has all the things expected to develop code.
  • Maybe they can improve the themes. I haven't found a theme that I really love...
I highly recommend Atom for web development.
Read Violeta Calvo Ilundain's full review
December 18, 2018

Beautiful code editor

Atom is being used by some software engineers and designers across the tech organization. It's a code editor, so it solves the business problem of needing to write code.
  • Really nice UI
  • Allows plugins
  • Open source
  • Doesn't handle huge commits/merges very well
  • Rectangle select (though there is a plugin)
  • Slightly different shortcuts to Sublime
It is well suited to writing code, especially for those that care about having a beautiful IDE. I'm sure there are more complex backend applications for which is it not appropriate.

About Atom

Atom is a free and open source text editor offering a range of packages and themes.