Using Miro in Academia
January 14, 2022

Using Miro in Academia

Boyun Kim | TrustRadius Reviewer

I use it for my own research, for brainstorming, and sorting outlines for the paper
  • Relatively easy to maneuver once I get a grasp of how things work
  • aesthetically pleasing
  • relatively easy to share with others
  • I wish there was a separate app/program I can use on the computer rather than accessing it through a website.
  • I wish there was an option to write on the brain maps (iPad, apple pencil..., text recognition....)
  • connection with Zotero and other bibliography management programs
  • Better logic
  • Better connections between readings
There was a bit of a learning curve initially, which was why I was slow to get started with miro, but it was easy enough once I got a handle on it.
It's not very easy to integrate with other academic-related programs.
Because of the learning curve, I've had trouble having others contribute to the boards

They were quite clunky, and I went back to using my own walls & sticky notes. It was after I tried using Miro that I started being okay with brainstorming on my computer/digitally. Miro still has its clunky moments, but it's been the most satisfactory for my personal use so far.
Miro is incredibly helpful for graduate students in all stages. During the coursework stage, it's great to organize what one learns about by weeks, to make connections across the board. Once you get into the project stages, it's helpful to organize your thoughts, figure out where each piece of evidence of literature fits in. I'd say it's less helpful for managing readings and bibliography. It's also not too easy to convert to a separate document that I can then use for writing.