Miro for education - we can do more!
February 25, 2022

Miro for education - we can do more!

I help instructors build materials in Miro and use it as a student.
  • Sharing and collaborating.
  • Easy mapping and connecting.
  • Very flexible for multiple use cases.
  • Helpful templates.
  • Lots of useful integrations.
  • The accessibility especially for visually impaired users who might use a screen reader is almost impossible to gauge. I wish you could add alt-text for images and provide helpful vectors for wider pages to help screen readers use the information.
  • I think your integrations are great, but they are really business-focused. I think adding integrations with ed software like Canvas (Instructure), Moodle, Kaltura, GoodNotes, Google Classroom to your education license, in particular, would make it clearer to users how to utilize this in an ed-tech setting.
  • In general, your templates are great, but I'd love to help you make some templates that are focused on the educator license like syllabi, group projects, and remote or asynchronous learning.
  • It's fun!
  • It integrates lots of content creation software in one place (I'd love for you and Canva to become integrated, though!)
  • Ease of prototyping for students without a coding background.
I have A LOT of feelings about the ways you could build out information for your education license side (Hire me! JK but not jk). It's such a great product, but not all educators have the time, imagination, or budget to explore and be curious about a new software outside of specific professional development time. It would be helpful for them to have templates that are a little more specific to their use case so that they don't have to make the argument for its usefulness and can just jump right into using it. That could look like projects, classroom games, classroom discussion boards, syllabus templates, and more.
The integrations are great, but as I said earlier, I wish you had more education-focused ones highlighted for Education users.
It works well with the measures we already have in place for remote learning.

Not sure

Miro integrates them rather than competing with them. I think of it as more of a place to aggregate all my different software rather than one to replace them all. I want to stress that I have a free education license as an individual user and I don't have a company-wide implementation - rather, specific instructors and students who choose to use Miro sometimes come to me in my role as an instructional technology GA and I support their projects, and I use it personally as a student and instructor.
Microsoft 365 (formerly Office 365), Zotero, Box, Canva
I encourage students to use Miro to make their projects and presentations, mock-up websites and content, and take their notes and annotate sources in a literature review style. I help professors and instructors build-out projects and interactive syllabi for their classes.