A Great All-Rounder, well suited for Cross-Functional Virtual Collaboration
June 08, 2022

A Great All-Rounder, well suited for Cross-Functional Virtual Collaboration

I use Miro to brainstorm with my colleagues, run design sprints with a group of cross-functional colleagues, and in the past have also used it to get a group of people across different countries to align on prioritizing a business problem and solutions for it. I have also used Miro to explain wireframes and low-fidelity customer journeys.
  • Image Pasting
  • Connecting assets to detail a flow
  • Video asset capability
  • Frame is buggy and often times laborious
  • I want more freedom to choose the size of my font vs. increasing by 2x
Onboarding is a challenge. Getting everyone to the same level of creative confidence is challenging and it does not always work similarly to just getting a group of people in the room and just whiteboarding things out together. Having a dedicated customer success professional would be key along with a key knowledge person within the department.
I love the integration with Google where I can directly import the Google Slides and walk my team through the slides and then jump to other workflows. I have tried integrations with PDF, but they were buggy and I did not follow up on that or Microsoft for that matter.
We were able to get reps from EMEA, APAC, LATAM, and North America to collectively think about all localization considerations and then align on a solution given the limitations or constraints. This helped our engineering and design team figure out a unified solution that could be easily scaled and translated across our global operations.

Miro, to me, is a one-stop-shop whereas some of the other players go deeper in their disciplines. I consider Miro as a generalist (as opposed to a specialist) and it works well when you wish to work with a cross-functional team to get things rolling. I wouldn't use it to exclusively design wireframes or UI.
Less Appropriate: - When user familiarity with the tool is vastly different, collaboration is actually quite painful and tedious - Live co-editing gets annoying when people start moving things, especially when someone is already working on it, and hence "lock" may not be the best option More Appropriate: - works great when everyone has well familiarity