Does what it should, but sometimes too well.
November 12, 2022

Does what it should, but sometimes too well.

In many ways, Miro works as a digital whiteboard that helps us to solve problems collaboratively. I've used it for mind mapping, organizing resources for design and research, retro boards, and workshops. I appreciate the fact that I can drag and drop images, graphs, etc., and that everything is a vector. Great functionality, is very flexible, and is easy to use.
  • Collaboration
  • Platform speed.
  • Let non-editors highlight and copy text from Miro, even if the page is locked. Example: Design team sometimes butts heads with PMs who write specific copy on Miro, but admin privileges block people from copying the text for wire-framing and prototyping. The team ends up wasting time retyping copy for designs or asking for copy in a word doc, which slows down the process. It's minor but annoying.
  • Reduced project completion time.
  • Improved productivity.
  • More internal clarity on projects.
It's easy to use, flexible and has lots of templates.
We use it all the time for Retros and can't imagine working without it.

Not sure

Invasion Freehand is not robust. MURAL and Miro are usually interchangeable... The company selected Miro, and I noticed it is easier for mapping and diagrams, but with my limited experience with MURAL, I don't think it would be an awful option; the MURAL just doesn't seem as flexible.
Miro is great as a sketchpad, as a place to organize your thoughts, or for non-designers to make visuals, but It's not appropriate to use Miro for a presentation. I think the vector capabilities are really attractive to some members of the team, but they tend to over-rely on Miro rather than creating a powerpoint, PDF, or word document according to needs. Zooming in and out and moving around the screen is not always effective in getting the point across.