Sketch

Sketch Reviews

Do you work for this company? Learn how we help vendors

Flavio Bagioli | TrustRadius Reviewer
Sketch is my preferred tool to start envisioning the first visual ideas of a digital product, whatever it is. It's perfect for having an idea and visualizing it within a couple of minutes. It's such a versatile tool because it's really great for early explorations of an idea as well as making very accurate prototypes or complete design systems ready for production.
  • Having instant preview of a screen design on a mobile device.
  • Easily created design systems with nested objects.
  • Exporting multiple formats and sizes in one click.
  • Editing and creating vector artwork.
  • More control over vector editing, handles, curves and points.
  • It would be great to see more animation functionalities.
  • Being able to create 3D models would be perfect.
Sketch is well suited to create mock-ups which could then be easily turned into real designs, it's also perfectly suited to create final screen designs of websites, apps, mobile websites, Apple Watch apps, anything interactive. It might be not very well suited to create more animation intensive interactive experiences which can required third party plugins. It's also very difficult to work on Sketch with anything which involves video and motion graphics.
D Hendrik Mulyana | TrustRadius Reviewer
Sketch is a powerful design tool focus[ed] on the design user interface. Sketch is a primary design tool to create a mobile app in my organization, especially in [the] design department. Also with Sketch + 3rd party app such as Zeplin and Overflow. It's the best combination to speed up our process design and development phase. Sketch can solve the traditional problems when handing over design to Development Team, with latest Sketch feature[s], inspect feature on web version, it's really useful for our team, plus combine with Zeplin. There is no gap anymore. simple case flows our process using Sketch is.

Start Design > Design flow mapping ( 3rd party Overflow plugin ) > Zeplin handover design to dev or Sketch inspect feature = Productive
  • Support over 1000 plugins.
  • Can handle simple and complex artboard in one file.
  • Support external library.
  • Support Design collaboration.
  • If in one file has over 100 artboards, sketch will slow.
  • Drain your memory ram, if design is complex and use external library.
  • Doesn't have a feature can download plugin in one place such community feature on Figma.
  • Only support MAC platform.
  • Doesn't have web version.
Sketch is a revolutionary design app focus on UI and simple illustration, it helps me a lot on client and personal projects. Easy to use and support[s] many plugins, unfortunately Sketch is only supported [by] MAC platforms. It doesn't have a web version or even windows version. Sketch is suitable for solo designer, work with the team in your organization, it [will] need a 3rd party to help do it, such as plant app to handle version design changes, and you need to pay an extra cost if you need [a] version design change such as GitLab but for design. If you have a complex design and more than 100 artboards, you need to prepare for the worst-case, which means your memory RAM on your computer will drain a lot.
Mike Muller | TrustRadius Reviewer
Sketch is used by our design and development team as one of the tools used during our UI/UX process as we design and build websites and other digital assets. We use this to create low fidelity wireframes, full designs of websites, app layouts, user journey documents, prototypes and digital advertising assets.
  • Strong design tools
  • The app is optimized for screen designs
  • Other tools handle collaboration better than Sketch
  • File sizes can get rather large
  • Can't work with PC users on projects.
Sketch is a great program for UI/UX designers working in the Mac environment. It's easy to use. Has all the tools necessary to design for different devices and screen sizes. It has great plugins that allow for rapid prototyping. This tool can speed up the design process on most web projects.
I use Sketch to create assets for my web development projects. It is my preferred tool even though I have Adobe Illustrator available. The web-focused design of Sketch has everything I need to get the job done without the complexity. I especially like the export options which allow me to generate multiple exports all at once.
  • Excellent user interface without the bloat of Illustrator.
  • Multiple exports generated in one click.
  • Excellent toolset for web design.
  • Switched to the dreaded subscription model!
  • No glaring omissions to the product.
Sketch is great for creating web graphics, it's intuitive and helpful while editing vectors for that application. I'd recommend it to anyone creating web assets. It's lightweight and doesn't seem to slow down your computer like Adobe's tools sometimes do. That being said, It's not a tool designed for print. It's missing bleeds, crop marks, etc. that are required for that type of work. However, it's a great tool for what it does.
We design mocks using Sketch and also use it as internal design system within the team. We also used its prototyping features in many cases. Main task is to create mocks to be shared with the development team. We used adobe products before sketch and it has helped us save a lot of time in design.
  • Design system.
  • UI Design.
  • Vector Design.
  • Design component repository.
  • It could use a web version like Figma.
  • It can get slow at times.
  • File sharing could be improved.
Sketch is best suited for UI design. Also works well with larger teams. Not appropriate for visual design or image editing.
Sketch gets used at my company mostly for designing full websites or smaller web projects designing out specific modules. It's also used in our wireframing process, and we have it hooked up to InVision and are able to upload our designs straight from sketch to InVision. We sometimes but not always use the prototyping tool to show hover and/or click effects on specific elements.
  • It's a very lightweight program
  • It's able to hook up to InVision for easy uploading and replacing
  • It has cloud-based storage
  • It does not do well with complex SVGs, which can import with problems
  • It is not easy to take Sketch elements and bring them into Adobe programs
  • Prototyping is cool but is also a bit cumbersome to show even simple interactions
Sketch works well for web design. It doesn't have all of the bells and whistles that Photoshop and Illustrator have so while that does make it more limited, it's a very quick and snappy program. I don't think you're able to design at print resolution, so doing any print work is probably still best suited for InDesign.
Sketch is used by the Product Design team. It’s main purpose is as a design production tool, but it also acts as the curator of our design patterns. Sketch is the core of the UI design process extended by Abstract, InVision, and Zepplin. Sketch functionality is also extended by (for better or for worse) plug-ins.
  • Price point for teams is an excellent value
  • Stable platform
  • Responsive support staff
  • Custom plugins
  • Plug-ins can cause compatibility and stability issues
  • Big feature updates can break old files
  • Not cross-platform
Sketch is well suited for solo designers, cost conscious teams, or teams that want to integrate with an Abstract and/or InVision workflow. Sketch has a low barrier for writing custom JavaScript plug-ins so teams can extend Sketch to cater to their custom workflows. However, plug-ins can be difficult to manage and maintain. The Sketch platform is stable, but plug-in dependencies can turn it into a fragile application.
Andrea Hester | TrustRadius Reviewer
Our company has used Sketch for several years for designing layouts for the web. It's a nice application for designing and preparing art files for handoff to developers. It's also pretty easy for beginners to pick up if you're familiar with Adobe and other design products.
  • Easy to learn and use
  • Lots of good tutorials available
  • Creating reusable global components for web designs
  • No cloud file storage integrated
Sketch is a great application, but the lack of cloud file storage and team collaboration capabilities limits its use with remote teams like ours. Compared to Figma, it has the same design capabilities but lacks the collaboration component.
I've never had a need to contact customer support, but there are great resources and tutorials throughout the web for the application. I've never had any issues using it.
Muhamed (Muha) Causevic | TrustRadius Reviewer
Sketch is used primarily by our product designs and just very recently by the marketing team when working on web projects. Sketch is a more ideal web screen design platform when collaborating with a team and working on the same projects, as opposed to our traditional approach — Adobe Photoshop. Sketch is also a more intuitive platform and it is more easily learned by most of the front end developers than the Adobe products.
  • It has great plugins and integrations such as with Craft plugin and InVision.
  • Sketch is fast in graphic rendering and it offers an infinite amount of space allowing an unlimited number of artboards to be created.
  • When working in a team, everyone must be on the same version of the software, otherwise there are a lot of glitches happening to the files that have been saved under an older version.
  • Some users are transitioning into making print-ready designs from Sketch and using it as the sole creative tool. I would like to see better print ready features integrated into Sketch.
I think Sketch is well suited for most design professionals working on any digital designs, especially those working with teams on design collaboration. Sketch is also very good for managing design systems and guidelines. Its integrations make it a great collaboration software with other teams, such as development and other stakeholders and reviewers of the project.
No direct communication with the Sketch support team.
Nate Dillon | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use Sketch personally at work. I believe that I'm the only person in my department who uses it, and I might be pretty much the only one in my organization who uses it. I use Sketch as my primary design tool for web sites and vector graphics for use on the web.
  • Vector graphics.
  • Website design.
  • Bitmap editing.
  • Better support for SVGs from other apps.
Sketch is great for pretty much any vector-based graphics. My primary use for Sketch is for designing websites, but it could probably also be used for print. I also use Sketch to export any graphics I need for the web. It can be set to export a graphic in multiple formats at the same time. They have been adding more collaboration features to Sketch recently, although I have not yet tried those features.
The company behind Sketch seems to be very active, updating and improving the app pretty frequently. Sketch has been gaining popularity, so there are a lot of users online who can help answer questions. Sketch has a pretty great plugin system as well, so there are some really good plugins available to make the app even better.
Mitchell Clements | TrustRadius Reviewer
Sketch is used by all the UX designers at my company, as well as by some of our graphic designers. Sketch is our number one go-to design tool for creating interfaces and mockups. It holds our entire design system and patterns, so we can quickly create all the designs our developers need for interfaces.
  • Sketch allows you to quickly create mockups, especially when you have a design system in place.
  • Sketch is great for wireframes because it's so fast and easy to create shapes.
  • Sketch has a lot of plugins made by the community.
  • Using nested symbols can sometimes be confusing and a bit difficult.
  • Updating the plugins and finding missing fonts can be a pain.
Sketch is a great tool for wireframes and mockups. However, it's lacking a lot in terms of prototyping and user testing. So if your goal is to do visual design, then Sketch is one of the best tools out there. However, if you're wanting an "all in one" type of tool, then you're going to find that Sketch is lacking unless you're utilizing the plugins.
  • The Experience Design Department uses only two various tools for design. Sketch and Adobe XD. Our specific team uses Sketch across our XD (UX) and Creative teams. Additionally, our design system team utilizes Sketch to build out our design systems. We also use Sketch in conjunction with two other vital products, Abstract (for versioning) and InVision (for prototyping and design system management).
  • Before sketch, I very much remember doing this type of design in Adobe Illustrator, Sketch was the first scalable solution that is designed to help professionals build digital experiences. Each of the tools within the program is designed for this in mind.
  • One of the key features that speed up the UX teams wireframing is the ability to have symbols both in the library and local to a file. Those allow us to quickly duplicate and change rows and rows of content in our wireframes. It saves countless hours.
  • Multiple Screen Layout
  • Re-usable Symbols
  • Their Releases are Buggy
  • No Built in Collaboration Tools
  • Sketch is great for product teams for creating pixel-perfect materials for the associated IT teams. It's partnerships with InVision and Abstract mean that there are two great options for web-based hand-offs (look those up in conjunction). If you are building a website and not an ongoing product, there may be some cheaper tools. However, if you or your team are continually turning out screens for products, it's a needed tool.
  • The other thing to consider, since there is no built-in prototyping or collaboration, if you have a large team working together, it's best to partner with other tools, that'll drive your cost up. But, for us, it's completely worth it.
The support is relatively decent, and they are quick to respond. However, their releases are not great. Sketch could use more robust testing of their software before releases. Over the last four years, I have had many days lost while waiting for Sketch to patch issues with their releases. It's actually a running joke in our office.

So, support, good. Releases in the first place? Not great.
Sketch allows our company to make highly professional landing pages, illustrations, slides, pitch decks, diagrams, etc. With some plugins or extensions, our designers can export presets and code, which is wonderful to create websites after, using that code.
  • Amazing app for UI/UX design. This is prototyping as its best.
  • Being able to use a lot of plugins for more advanced features and designs gives you a lot of useful features when utilizing Sketch.
  • The only aspect we dislike about Sketch is the high price, but when compared to other similar applications, it is one of the more inexpensive options available.
It helps our Design Team create awesome landing pages in just a couple of days. Also, it's greatly improved our design workflow. We can have all of the pages of a site, and the different screen sizes, in one document, and then if we need to change a header or symbol, we can edit it in one place, and it affects all of the pages.
There is a feature for responsive design, but it's quite basic and does not link to different breakpoints when one element of the screen might go to a different place according to the user's device resolution.

We haven't had any trouble with this app.
We use Sketch to mock up design collateral. Mostly responsive landing pages, but we've used it for simple app screens and prototypes as well. We can send review links of the designs internally or externally or upload the screens with InVision for prototyping and feedback/approval. As a vector tool, there's a lot we can do with it for our digital collateral.
  • High-fidelity mockups - web and apps.
  • Simple prototyping to mimic user flows.
  • Ease of use - allows for quick wireframes to hammer out ideas (even during the meeting).
  • Fantastic use of symbols.
  • The interface needs a complete overhaul. It's not bad, just dated and it's getting lapped by other similar tools.
  • As it relies heavily on plugins, functionality can be broken with app updates or OS updates.
  • The prototyping feature is basic now. Needs to add more features to keep up with the competition.
If you need high fidelity prototypes or mockups with an easy learning curve, Sketch is hard to beat. It's the industry standard. It has integration with almost everything and a vast sea of plugins to provide things the software doesn't do out of the box. This product isn't as well suited for many members of a team all working on a single project. Figma will be the one to beat in that regard.
We use Sketch across a couple of different departments. At first, our design team was the only team using it. However, as a member of the marketing team, I started using it to maintain consistency between projects that our teams collaborated on. After using it for just a few minutes, I knew that it was a game-changer. It is a very easy to use program that allows a user to make designs very simple, without the same technicality of some other Adobe products. Very straightforward and user-friendly while also retaining a robust design feature set.
  • Assets within a project "snap" to proportion and match with other assets, maintaining alignment and space in projects to help create well-designed projects, no matter what you are working on.
  • All the tools are laid out very nicely and clearly. There are minimal questions as to how to do very basic and sometimes more complicated functions.
  • Automatic saving and cloud saving is a plus.
  • The design of the software is visually very intuitive. The layers panel is well organized and easy to manage.
  • You have to have a canvas set up to export certain file types accurately; this isn't clear at first.
  • The export process is a little strange. It takes getting used to. It seems you have to convert the file type BEFORE selecting export...I found that to be odd.
  • It may be less robust than Adobe Illustrator, but I haven't used both enough to say what Sketch might be missing.
I have used Sketch to design adverts for events, YouTube still, and to modified an email template that one of our designers had initially created. It's straightforward to pick up new skills and doesn't have the intimidating friction to enter in as a user, as some Adobe products do.
Putting this one at a nine only because I haven't interfaced directly with their support BUT I do find it to be a familiar enough product within the creative community that I can check on YouTube or do basic web searches in order to learn new skills in the software which I may not know or which might be challenging to figure out.
Sketch is used y our Marketing department to quickly mock-up, organize and deliver assets for website, UI and UX products. It is specifically used to hand off assets to developers so that each item can be extracted individually, rather than creating multiple folders for the same page or site. This saves both time and resources.
  • Organizes assets for delivery.
  • Easy to use for anyone familiar with any design product.
  • Simple and neat interface. Not too much visual clutter.
  • Can't think of any.
Definitely suited for marketing or other creative fields. It is just as usable as Illustrator or Photoshop but is much more simple in its design. This doesn't mean you can do less, rather, you can do more because all of the extra stuff is not cluttering the screen as you work.
Haven't had a need for support in three years. I think that says a lot.
Albert Ellenich | TrustRadius Reviewer
Sketch is used by the UX department only, which consists of 2 of us. We use it extensively for fast comps to illustrate possible UI ideas and layouts for our company's web-based software products. It serves as a tool for us to visualize ideas we can share in larger groups, making it much easier for stakeholders to provide useful feedback and additional requirements. "A picture is worth a thousand words" right? In this case, Sketch lets us make those pictures to gather intel and then create final wireframes of every aspect of our systems. The flexibility of its symbols allows us to quickly create visual ideas without a lot of manual object creation. And the ability to sync our sketch pages to a project on InVision is invaluable to us in collecting feedback and keeping a living version of our products online for constant improvement.
  • The ability to create a custom symbol library and/or download available libraries for free or purchase make Sketch incredibly versatile and fast. Sketch eliminates the need for creating form fields and other UI elements by hand before using them in wireframe layouts. This saves so much time! The flexibility of symbols in Sketch allows for easily creating multiple width views of pages for responsive design.
  • Nesting symbols in sketch provide the ultimate flexibility in creating product UIs that have variations throughout a system. Nesting allows you to change aspects of a symbol on a per-instance need as opposed to forcing the creation of a unique symbol every time you need to display something a little different.
  • Multiple canvases on a page allow for creating multiple views of the same page based on conditional variables. Or for responsive design. There's no need to flip between pages in Sketch to do this. You can see multiple views as canvases in the same Sketch page. This helps greatly in keeping your Sketch files organized when you are dealing with a large system.
  • One of the key benefits to my work is Sketch's ability to work with 3rd party plug-ins and extensions. This allows me to immediately sync a single canvas or collection of canvases on a page with InVision, a tool my company uses to house all our UX documentation for feedback from stakeholders.
  • The Sketch interface can feel a bit clumsy when you're working with a document that has many pages. As an example, I regularly work in a document that captures 10 different aspects of a product. Sketch doesn't allow me to organize all those pages into any type of folder hierarchy. I have to scroll through the complete list of pages to try and find the page I want. You can drag pages into a different order in Sketch, but that doesn't remove the lengthy list or provide visual demarcation between groups of related pages.
  • Nested symbols are extremely useful, but the interface available on the right panel of the screen to manipulate a nested symbol in a canvas is not clearly organized to find what you're looking for quickly. It displays as a list of items in your nested symbol with no visual delineation between objects, so it can be a bit of guesswork to make sure you're making changes to the correct element.
  • It would be nice if Sketch offered the ability to create a workflow with automatic connection of objects via lines and arrows, like a sitemap or process flow. I use Sketch to create all my screens, but still need to leave the app to create my visual diagrams in a separate app.
  • A fresh take on the UI to better delineate things visually would be a great help. As mentioned, pages can't be organized, nested symbols are cumbersome to read through, etc. Separating the main central area of the app where canvases are displayed visually from the tools on the left and right would make for a cleaner work environment.
Sketch is well suited for the following:
  • Quick mockups of UI ideas to gather feedback
  • Creating custom UI elements you can reuse throughout your project or share as a library with collaborators
  • Full UI comps which can be used via sync for feedback in InVision or within AdobeXP for prototype creation
  • Creating responsive systems requiring multiple size views of a screen
Sketch is less suited for creating system diagrams and workflows with connections that are maintained and automatically flow as objects are moved around on the screen.
Prashant Mahajan | TrustRadius Reviewer
I have been using Sketch for last 4 years across my various organizations. I learned UX and UI design on Sketch. I really like how we can use plugins of various companies to make it more powerful like Zeplin, InVision, etc. We moved from Adobe Illustrator because this is a simpler product as compared to it and is quite cheaper. It is being used to make user experience mockups and also UI design. It is mainly used by the Product Design and Product Management departments.
  • It's easy to understand, very intuitive and easy to get used to.
  • It is great to make UI designs and share it with teams.
  • It can be used for wireframing and mockups by PMs.
  • I think one limiting factor is that it is available only on Mac. Would be great to have on Windows too.
  • Sketch is missing the direct design to code, which Figma is able to do.
  • Sketch doesn't let you share the prototype with others who do not have Sketch. In InVision you can share a link and people can see.
Sketch is suitable for startups who have fewer designers, for bigger companies Adobe Cloud might be more helpful since it is more powerful in collaboration. Sketch is also very good when used along with tools like Zeplin and InVision. I think the company has improved a lot and in the future, if they have a direct to code feature, it will be great.
Andrew Richardson | TrustRadius Reviewer
Sketch solves prototyping interactive products. This is either to get buy-in from stakeholders, or to show the intent of what a product will be for developers. Sketch helps us quickly visualize a design and rapidly iterate. It's being utilized by our UX and UI designers primarily, but the deliverables of Sketch are utilized by a wider range of the organization for communication purposes.
  • High fidelity interactive mockups.
  • Very user-friendly interface for a design program.
  • Incredibly competitive price point, especially when compared to Adobe.
  • Sketch hasn't innovated in a while. They used to be a leader here, but have slowed down and are now playing catch-up to other design programs.
  • Being made for Mac only is extremely limiting.
  • Working on their design system is a pretty poor experience compared to alternatives.
I would recommend Sketch to solo freelance interactive designers who are working on Mac. All other situations I'd probably recommend Figma, it's better all around, or if you love messing with plugins all the time. Sketch can be very powerful combined with third-party plugins, but you get to a point where it's barely the same program at a certain point.
Lou Gallo | TrustRadius Reviewer
As a member of our product definition and user experience team, we have many tools to design the user interface of our product and Sketch is typically used for nearly all of our design and layout. The product is primarily used by our team to mock up pixel-perfect ideas, click-throughs and communicating workflow to our development team. Sketch is also coupled with a few other tools/plugins that allow us to make click-through user tests and some content control, allowing us to share ideas in a native way with our developers. Although this is used exclusively in our UX team, we try to include many of our teams in the process of UX and design so we have developers and quality engineers that are also using templates and asset sheets so they can simply layout and share ideas quickly.
  • Sketch has a nice plugin and partner set of applications so you can extend the use through partnerships they have built. These plugins can also speed up layouts as well as templates that can be reused quickly.
  • Sketch has a great layout, support of an eye friendly dark mode and has great organization of assets. You can quickly create pages, groups and control all aspects of the visual effects of each and every level.
  • Drawing tools are wonderful and they have all the expected graphics based drawing and boolean options necessary for building layouts, icons and effects.
  • Although they have gotten much better, the stability of large sketch files was a bit flaky.
  • I would like to see some online services provided natively to Sketch for things like version control (instead of using Abstract)
I think Sketch is a great tool for design for those that may not want to be tied to the workflow of an Adobe suite and have to switch and swap out tools for a variety of needs. If you are not trying to do photo editing or have to do some blending to photos, but are trying to do pixel-perfect layouts with custom icons, shadowing and other effects, Sketch is a great tool. Personally, I have used Adobe's tools but was never an expert in them. Sketch is a quick study and you can build amazing design assets that are easy to share and output. If you build exports of image files for a variety of formats to support many platforms like web, mobile, website etc. that is easy to automate.
Fábio Zuppone Chavasco | TrustRadius Reviewer
Sketch was being used only by the design team. We were using it to iterate on existing products, defining flows and creating new ideas, concepts and wireframes.
  • Creation of wireframes
  • High fidelity prototypes (not including animation)
  • User interface design
  • Doesn't have a collaborative way of working
  • Slow on updates
  • Bad interaction with the community
It's good for designers who work alone on that specific design. The way you can create components design is incredible. The community is huge, so you can find any kind of resources or plugins for Sketch.
I had a few issues a long time ago and they took ages to answer.
We currently use Sketch in our design department to design UI for desktop, tablet, and mobile websites and apps. By using Sketch, we’re able to quickly get designs out to stakeholders and incorporate feedback for quick iteration. We also use it to get input and insights from actual users to learn how they would use the design and how we can improve or build upon our design to better address their pain points in specific ways.
  • There are a ton of plugins that make working with Sketch very, very easy to integrate into our new and existing processes.
  • Sketch files are relatively small, so we don’t have to worry about taking up too much cloud space with Sketch files (especially when duplicating!).
  • Because Sketch is vector-based, the designs look good on any screen without losing sharpness. This is particularly helpful when sharing designs with stakeholders.
  • Color management can be finicky. For instance, the eyedropper tool sometimes isn’t very precise.
  • It would be helpful if there was a built-in commenting system that included tagging where designers and developers could have real-time collaborative conversations about designs.
  • Sketch is only available to Mac users. This is fine internally, but an issue when working with external folks.
Sketch has worked really well for us in projects where our team is internal (so we all have Mac machines), where there is a no need for distance real-time collaboration, and for making designs very fast and intuitively (which is helpful when you’re working with a product that involves lots of feedback incorporation).

Sketch has been a little difficult for us in scenarios where we’re working with contractors who do not have Sketch, and when we need to be able to collaborate with project team members remotely. In these cases, we tend to find workarounds.
Our product, design, and development teams use Sketch to host our design style guide and symbol library. The product and design teams use Sketch to create mockups, wireframes, etc., and then use Sketch's Marvel integration to hand designs off to the devs. The product content strategy team also uses Sketch to create internal images and visuals (e.g., annotated product screenshots, tone maps, infographics, diagrams).
  • It's extremely easy to create symbols in Sketch. This makes it very, very fast to re-use components across designs. Not only does this save time, but it keeps our work consistent across users and designs.
  • Sketch always loads incredibly quickly, no matter how large the file size or how many images/artboards the file contains. It's like magic, especially compared to some of the clunkier software I've used.
  • Sketch offers a fantastic spread of third-party plugins. The Marvel plugin makes it incredibly easy to upload/sync designs before dev handoffs.
  • As with similar software, Sketch does have a learning curve. Sketch is incredibly easy to use once you're comfortable with the navigation, know the keyboard shortcuts, etc. Before you're at that point, however, it can be difficult. I already had experience with programs like Illustrator, Photoshop, and InVision, and took to Sketch very quickly. But one of my colleagues who has less experience with these types of tools is unable to use Sketch efficiently, even after several months.
  • Sketch is only available for OS. This wasn't a huge problem for our company, where the design and product teams all use MacBooks, but it means it's harder to share with other teams (like the devs, who use PCs).
  • The basic image editing Sketch offers is pretty limited. Although that's not the main reason anyone at our company uses Sketch, it would be nice to be able to erase parts of an image or do some basic masking.
I think Sketch is a wonderful tool for just about any product or design team (unless you use PCs). Sketch is lightweight, fast, easy to use, and gets the job done. Even if you use another tool for major prototyping, wireframing, etc., Sketch is a great option for hosting a design/symbol library and style guide. Its plugins make it very easy to use in conjunction with another tool.
As a designer in a company of Windows users, Sketch unfortunately isn't used as wide-spread as it could be because it's a Mac-only application. However for me it handles a number of uses in doing user interface design and user experience. To name a few uses:
  • Symbol Library allows for reuse of UI elements
  • Prototyping brings ideas to life
  • Clean interface brings efficiency to the design process
  • Prototyping. Create interactive designs, publish and share for feedback
  • Design Library. Create a library of commonly used design elements from type to icons
  • Continually Updated. There's always something new happening with Sketch, it's updated frequently with new and better tools
  • Tools. Sketch allows for third-party app development so that the community can make tools that work with Sketch
  • Photo-editing is minimal
  • Work flow symbols would be nice for building flow charts
  • Prebuilt templates would be cool
Sketch is well-suited for any user experience situation. Whether you're creating a robust, high-fidelity application or a minimal, low-fidelity concept, Sketch has you covered. For instance, say that you have an idea of how a user should interact with an application. Quickly design that experience and the steps it takes to finish the process.
We use Sketch as our primary design software. While Adobe products are still in use, we rely heavily on Sketch for product designs and marketing collateral of every variety. We love the integrations Sketch offers, especially to Zeplin, as well as plugins like Magic Mirror. Sketch has become a staple in our tech stack.
  • Plugins are extensive and robust.
  • High fidelity wireframes are a breeze.
  • The interface makes it easy for advanced designers, as well as less experienced ones, to thrive.
  • Collaborative design.
  • Prototyping is pretty basic.
  • Large file handling.
Sketch is a must-have for product teams, as well as a really useful tool for marketing teams. We use it to do everything from product design to social graphics. It's a simple, yet robust platform and it's only $99 a year for the license. At that cost, it's one of the very best investments we've made for our team.

What is Sketch?

Sketch is a visual design tool of use for application prototyping, coming with a wide variety of extensions, plugins, and an active user community.

Sketch Pricing