Wonderful for Remote or Globally Distributed Collaboration
November 14, 2022

Wonderful for Remote or Globally Distributed Collaboration

Miro is used in different ways by different teams. In my case as a technology analyst and project manager who works remotely and has globally distributed collaborators, we use it in lieu of whiteboarding sessions where we may ideate, rank ideas, and so forth, in a live collaborative format as opposed to something less interactive such as a slide presentation. Additionally, we use it for first draft user story cards - since we're not in a single place, using the index card or sticky note approach isn't feasible, but Miro lets us get close enough.

I've also used it for collaborative, interactive wireframing, though there is less of a use case for this.
  • Whiteboarding simulation
  • Human-centered design
  • General interactive collaboration
  • Sometimes, navigation within a board can be a little confusing or disorienting between either move on the board vs resizing. That would be nice to see improved.
  • Additional preformatted 'card' or 'sticky' options. Sometimes, resizing the default ones can be a little cumbersome.
  • Improved collaboration and interpersonal project work
  • Shortens requirements definition phases
  • Provides us the ability to product higher quality stories and acceptance criteria for technical teams
Our organization has offices globally - so even before working from home was, "a thing," we had to embrace remote collaboration by virtue of the operation. Now, we have remote workers - like me - who really appreciate the value these tools bring. Instead of appearing prescriptive, I can more effectively engage my teams and collaborators and elicit their contributions in a way that really honors their input.

I really like it for product feature ideation, backlog refinement, and collaborative brainstorming. I've found that I can engage my collaborators more effectively with Miro's interactive medium than I can by sharing a notes document that I'm transcribing in - even if it is shared, like a shared spreadsheet or doc. It supports quick, lo-fi visualizations of ideas or tasks REALLY well in a way that is easy for new users to adopt rapidly without an extensive training ramp.

I like it less for wireframes. You can use it this way, but I haven't personally found I love it - I'd rather use more conventional tools for those purposes.