Rubrik - Simplify Your Data Protection Worldhttps://www.trustradius.com/data-center-backupRubrikUnspecified9781012019-02-13T03:29:36.169Z
February 12, 2019
Rubrik - Simplify Your Data Protection World
Score 10 out of 101
Overall Satisfaction with Rubrik
We are using Rubrik to backup data in a multi-tenant environment. Each of five tenants purchased their own cloud archive location that they manage and send data to. We also are testing cloud instantiation, which converts a VMware or Microsoft virtual machine into either an AWS or Azure virtual machine once a backup on premises has completed. This will satisfy some disaster recovery requirements.
- Rubrik greatly simplifies management and usability of backup systems. Configuration is very simple compared to our old system.
- It makes archiving data to either an offsite cloud or NAS mount point extremely easy. All that is required, is a few configuration items, and away your data goes.
- Support is outstanding. Maintenance upgrades and trouble cases are handled quickly and professionally.
- Cloud cluster has it's limitations as far as performance and resilience. With large data in the environment, it has issues archiving large amounts of data to S3.
- Multi-tenancy permissions are not fully baked. I had to get creative to give proper permissions to admins of different organizations. I submitted an RFE for this.
- Notifications are also not fully baked. Anyone that is an admin level of any organization, receives all system notifications.
- Much less time spent working on the system by various tenant admins.
- I wouldn't really consider it a negative impact, because all other products we looked at were similarly priced, but it is a very expensive solution.
- All tasks performed in Rubrik take far less time than other solutions we evaluated or used in the past.
- Live mounting a VM for recovery takes less than a minute, as it mounts on the cluster itself, which is VMware aware and shows an NFS mount point in vCenter.
Rubrik was by far the easiest solution to manage and use. This and the fact that it was so extremely simple to configure and use cloud archive is the main reason we went with Rubrik. However, support has to be the biggest surprise. They are very knowledgeable and fast to respond. There is also a fantastic user portal, where you can submit RFE's, search through other users suggestions, and vote on them.
It is by far the easiest and well thought out backup solution I've encountered. If you have requirements to archive into AWS, Azure, or GCP, it is extremely easy to configure. You will be up and archiving in minutes. The SLA based job scheduling is very intuitive. The only negative or less appropriate usage I can think of would be the instantiation piece. It takes several hours to instantiate one VM to a cloud environment. This could be our lack of bandwidth, but it is only feasible for a long term DR scenario.