- CleverTap is rated higher in 1 area: Support Rating
- Twilio Segment is rated higher in 1 area: Likelihood to Recommend
Likelihood to Recommend
It is quite suited for all the SMS, emails, and other in-game campaigns, but wherein the delivery rate I personally feel it is less, and it has [a] limitation on 5 pins for the day for 1 user, it should be unlimited.
Manager in Customer ServiceConsumer Services Company, 51-200 employees
Segment is a great choice for early-stage companies that are looking to experiment with different analytics software, and can afford scaling up Segment to $500-2k+ per month in costs. For companies/websites that require very simple analytics, like tracking conversion rates, a cheaper, less comprehensive piece of analytics software would likely be a bit more suitable.
- Web Analytics - understanding of how users are navigating on the website
- Re-engagement - how to engage the users if they drop off from a particular step
- Funnels - How are users navigating from 3-4 page routes predetermined by the business
- Forward Flows - How and where are users moving forward on a particular page
- User Journey - How is a particular user navigating on the website that leads to conversion/ drop off or non-conversion
- Ease of event tracking. Just like Google Analytics, except you can warehouse your own data for a reasonable price. Warehousing your own event data is critical for companies that want to leverage data science at some point in their existence (which should be all companies these days).
- Price. Startups can get by with the free version of Segment for a long time.
- Integrations and sources. Segment makes it easy to warehouse other types of data such as Google AdWords, Facebook Ads, etc. It also allows you to send event data to 3rd party services like Google Analytics.
- Customer service isn't that great [from my experience], most of the time the team is puzzled or will leave the client puzzled.
- Price is very high with respect to the features available. MAU based pricing with a flawed sense of MAU calculation.
- The way they calculate MAU is morally wrong. If a customer opens my email that I am sending via AWS, and they don't even come on my app, how can you consider them as active user?
Manager in MarketingAutomotive Company, 51-200 employees
- Some connectors (EG HubSpot source) do not have necessary fields/data and it's unclear how to get these built out.
- Some destination connectors have limitations and can require rework to make the data flowing thru Segment meet the requirements of the ad connectors.
- Not much consistency across connectors.
- At scale, can struggle with data volumes and loading data in one sync, causing data to change retroactively.
Director in MarketingFinancial Services Company, 51-200 employees
Premium Consulting/Integration Services
Entry-level set up fee?
CleverTap Editions & Modules
Additional Pricing Details—
Premium Consulting/Integration Services—
Entry-level set up fee?
$120 per month
Twilio Segment Editions & Modules
- Includes 1,000 visitors/mo
- Includes 10,000 visitors/mo
- Custom Volume
Additional Pricing Details—
Based on 2 answers
For their expertise and timely resolution to our issues.
Vice-President in MarketingInternet Company, 51-200 employees
Twilio Segment 8.0
Based on 11 answers
Over the period it took us to set up, we kept going back to their enablement team to help us with the setup, and they were always ready and were very helpful in the entire process. Even with their documentation, they took the time out to help us work through the process. We've never had a message/email unanswered for more than an hour on working days.
Mixpanel was costly and had a lot of data discrepancies. No advanced feature for email tracking, which adds to the need for other tools for more detailed marketing campaigns. A tool like Mixpanel comes packed with features that sometimes are harder to discover. It's very easy to get sucked into one part of its toolset and not be aware of other tools which may be very useful.
I'm not sure these are "official competitors" (or alternatives) to Segment, but we use them in parallel for different goals. We use Datadog for logging and monitoring and we use Mixpanel to perform data analysis based on the data we gather using Segment (and other sources). I don't think we ever evaluated any other service vs. Segment. I think we got a recommendation on Segment, liked it and decided to use it (and we're happy with it since).
Return on Investment
- Our additional revenues from additional in-site promotions during a festive sales jumped 40% after using Clevertap pop-ups that targeted people at the product & category level.
Team Lead in OtherComputer Software Company, 11-50 employees
- Saved a ton of time for setting up user tracking
- Provided user data and tracking visibility to the entire team by turning on the mixpanel integration - this only took a week or so
- It does get hard to manage all of your events in a clean spreadsheet - you must have 1 person who leads this initiative so that you keep track of events
Director in MarketingComputer Software Company, 11-50 employees