Movable Type is a Perl-based content management system from Six Apart, featuring the capability to host multiple weblogs and standalone content pages, manage files and user roles, templates, tags, categories, and trackback links.https://media.trustradius.com/product-logos/hk/o6/7RT1FLSW32CC.PNGThe best-rated CMS for magazines, blogs, and editorial contentWe had two CMS used by our fashion publication - one was an in house, custom made CMS which was clunkier but more flexible with back end coding, and the other was Movable Type, which we used for our shorter, newsier blog posts since content was easy to build for producers, and even editors and freelance writers who weren't well versed in web production.,Easy to use straight out of the box, very user friendly with an intuitive interface. Great for team use where there are multiple editors and writers fixing and editing each other's works. It's easy to track who last made the latest edits. Stellar support team and system. I've found that Moveable Type's support system is generally more responsive and helpful than WordPress.,Very difficult to tamper with back-end coding, which is why we had a separate CMS for our bigger articles and interactive content. Limited number of plug-ins compared to other popular CMS like WordPress or Drupal. Not as media friendly as I would like. Movable Type was VERY finicky with embedding video and images. Constantly had to resize images and mess with video size to make sure it would display at the right size on the website.,7,Because of its simple UI it is THE platform for any quick blog posts that need to be made by end of day. Similarly, editors and freelance reporters who might not be web-savvy can be trained in the CMS in 5-10 minutess, and they can build the simpler posts which means the workflow really sped up for the web production team. Because it's easier to spot problematic comments, and set up certain types of comments to be flagged for the admin, it was easy to keep the site clean(er) of trolls and spammy discussions.,WordPress,Vanguardistas,TeamSite,Ektron Web Content Management System,Content Author / Administrator,10-100 pagesMovable Type great for small sites on shared environments.I was using Movable Type to set up small-medium sized websites for various clients including my own portfolio website for myself. It is a good lightweight CMS and blogging platform. I would usually choose Movable Type over Wordpress because it is more reliable out of the box. It is difficult to "Fireball" a Movable Type site because the platform creates static pages.,Renders one or more static pages per node/content item. Static pages are better for high traffic sites because dynamic sites do not always properly implement caching and are more likely to fail from needing a constant database connection. Out of the box, the custom fields in Movable Type are much more intuitive to work with than Wordpress and other blogging platforms. The custom fields even work better than some dedicated content management systems such as Joomla. Custom fields can be defined for several different entity types such as content and taxonomy. The fields show up in the new content form and are easy to find and use. The templating language in Movable Type is extremely rich and has many nice features built in. There is less of a need to extend for further templating functionality and you can also add some of your own PHP to the mix to add more features.,The installation of Movable Type still needs improvement. I've had to learn quite a bit about setting up my own apache servers in the past, but most of the needed modules for Movable Type come preinstalled nowadays with many server stacks. The customization of the backend is much more complicated in comparison to Wordpress or other content management systems. It is difficult to rebrand the backend interface without hacking core files. The licensing of Movable Type is confusing, keeps changing and now you're unable to get an open source version of MT6.x. Movable Type could use its own command line utility like Drush for Drupal.,7,It works well enough on shared hosting so it yields good returns in situations where your client cannot afford dedicated servers.,,5My type is Movable TypeWe used Movable Type as a blogging tool for our editors/writers. With the amount of content being posted to our site on a daily basis, the blogging platform helped boost our SEO strategy. I've also used Movable Type to build CMSs for a lot of my clients that were looking to manage their own websites. The CMS helped makes it easy to update content on your website and at the same time allows you to post blog entries on a daily basis. This helps keep customers informed of company announcements.,User-friendly interface which makes it very easy to navigate. It allows you to easily create multiple blogs in one installation. I like the long list of plugins that are available to use.,Better gallery plugin Publishing Template tools,6,It's a good tool when it comes to blogging. There a lot for a developer to know and understand when building a template. It is no longer free.,,7Movable Type - Good platform that wants to be freeIt is used as the company intranet. I set up a MT site for each employee to log in to for internal resources. This minimizes calls to each department because people can just log in to the intranet and get what they need. It is used across the entire organization.,Blogging Content Management User Roles,It cost too much Should be free Creating your own templates should be easier,6,The Internal Communications has greatly benefited from it Provided a place for our files in one central location,WordPress,Acquia Drupal,Joomla!,Concrete5,6Flexible & Multi-Purposed Website PlatformThe Creative Media Department of our company used Movable Type to manage many of the websites that our company ran. From the President's Blog to the news pages on our ministry partner's websites, our creative staff was able to make any design and content adjustments to all of our websites from a single installation. We also had several stand-alone websites for expeditions which were hosted by the software and accessible by additional users. Having all of the content management for multiple websites available in one location really was key for our company needs and workflow.,Movable type seamlessly integrates multiple websites in one installation which allows easy access to the content and design. Template tags and coding is well documented by Movable Type to provide developers like me the tools required to make completely custom designs. The more recent versions of Movable Type have really upped the ante on how broadly the platform can be used (such as for blogs, forums, e-commerce, etc.),Especially on the older versions, the limited number of well-developed third-party plugins is problematic for efficiently developing a well-functioning website. Versions of movable type which didn't allow pages to be constructed were difficult to create continuity in design and easily editable pages for our editors. The installation process could be simplified to make it easier for those new to a CMS to install.,8,Movable Type definitely increased employee efficiency. Having everyone on the same platform to edit multiple websites from system is crucial. Expanding our website presence was a super simple process with Movable Type. All we needed to do was add another site, destination folder, and we're ready to go. Having all of our web designers on the same platform helped immensely with communicating information and structuring education for new employees.,WordPress,ExpressionEngine,8Easier to use and to customize products available for your usersThe organization I was with used Movable Type for blogs written by students and faculty. It was used by the whole organization, though it is now being phased out. It addressed a need to communicate about class projects in a blog style format.,Once you understood how the MT language and framework worked, customization wasn't too difficult. Allowed for levels of user access. Ease of creating RSS feeds.,Very clunky and out dated product compared to WordPress or Blogger. Not user friendly. Required a lot of training. Difficult for users to layout their blog entries as expected. Difficult to upload images in a consistent format. Features that never worked consistently: password protection. Blog frequently went down.,3,Provided a blogging platform when we needed one. Helped us compare other blogging platforms as a baseline for what minimums we require and what we don't want. Users often refused to use Movable Type and would go around our official system in order to use my more friendly software.,WordPress,Blogger,Tumblr,1Moveable Type @ The Daily CollegianMoveable Type was used in a CMS function to reproduce print stories quickly online for my college's student newspaper. We were able to copy and paste stories into the CMS, attach the appropriate tags, and publish the stories so they would appear online as the print version of the newspaper was produced.,Tagging Pages Archiving,Security Multimedia integration Memory leaks,7,The ability to link to older articles Creating multiple outlets for readers to choose Upgrading print media to deal with the digital age,WordPress,1GTD: Gets Things DoneWhen I worked at a newspaper, we launched an entertainment website that functioned as an arm of our entertainment section. It was used by about a dozen people, who essentially functioned as bloggers. So basically, we were using it as a content management system. I also seem to recall that the newspaper used Movable Type to make posts to the news side of the website. We all had our own logins and would schedule postings to particular parts of the entertainment website and the newspaper site. I would characterize our use as departmental, specifically from an editorial perspective.,It provided easy management of blog postings. I was able to set up content early and schedule my posts for a later date. The interface was user friendly so you don't need to spend a lot of time in training. I was able to figure out a lot of the product on my own. You could assign different administrative privileges to certain people. This means that certain people could only post to certain modules.,While it's beneficial to be able to assign administrative rights to a user so they can only post to certain places of a website, I can recall that Movable Type did not inform general users of the types of privileges they had. So, for example, when I knew I needed to make a posting to a certain area, and was unable to do so, I was not informed that I did not have access to make that posting. It would have been helpful for Movable Type to post a message on the screen, saying that I needed more permissions. This was very frustrating, especially when I was on deadline for a newspaper story. Unfortunately, (or fortunately), I do not recall other negative experiences. I thought it was a pretty clean, friendly interface.,7,A product like this doesn't require a lot of time looking for IT support. It's easy and fast to use and you can learn it on the fly. Employees worked efficiently and quickly, often by writing their stories directly into Movable Type. There was never any down time and product updates were always within the scope of the overall interface, so we could always pick up right where we left off and intuitively navigated an improved interface that provided for an enhanced experience.,,8First Experiences With Movable TypeMovable Type is used by the Office of Communications Division at Oberlin College & Conservatory. As a student blogger, we utilize the program to manage the Oberlin blogs for all contributors--students, admissions people and past bloggers. It helps us to effectively address a social media presence issue as well as helps Oberlin to successfully market its breadth of student perspectives while begin something fun and easy to engage with.,I like that there is a quick post option-- in the event that I ever need to post a blog quickly, I can do so. There is an autosave function! One time, I mistakenly worked on a draft and did not save it but the server (thankfully) auto-saved my work and placed it in my draft box for me to return to later. The preview tool truly comes in handy with assessing formatting issues, spelling errors and other proofreading necessities.,I would love to see more streamlined features for my writing-- like a smoother toolbar for bolding, underlining and italicizing things. The work screen can often be very bland, I would enjoy seeing different ways of customizing my screen. I would appreciate having a sidebar that shows me quick options (how to insert images, how to reformat lines, etc.) because it would make my writing process go a bit faster.,8,I am definitely more efficient as a student blogger when I transition into working with Movable Type As a college student, I have gained a tremendous technological skill in becoming acquainted with Movable Type My resume is probably a lot stronger by the addition of knowledge in navigating Movable Type and I will have the opportunity to work in more spaces because of that.,,8
Movable Type
<a href='https://www.trustradius.com/static/about-trustradius-scoring' target='_blank' rel='nofollow noopener noreferrer'>trScore algorithm: Learn more.</a>TRScore

Movable Type Reviews

Movable Type

Do you work for this company?

Showing 9 of 16 Movable Type ratings and reviews.

Sophia Ahn profile photo

• WordPress,Vanguardistas,TeamSite,Ektron Web Content Management System
WordPress and Movable Type are the go to CMS for a reason - they are by far the easiest to navigate, learn, and use for daily blogging/content management. And now with more plug-ins available, these CMS products are getting more responsive and are offering capabilities (even basic things like tweeting about the story as it gets published) that integrate other platforms and capabilities into one place. As I mentioned before, if you want to make custom pages and build out any code heavy articles with extensive, multimedia pieces, then these easy to use CMS platforms won't cut it. But there's a reason why most publications are switching over from their huge, bulky CMS to these two competitors. For a team of varying web production skills, these are the perfect CMS solutions.
Read Sophia Ahn's full review
Dennis Dewey profile photo

Alternatives Considered

Movable Type is better than Wordpress because it generates static sites that cannot be broken by losing your database connection. The custom fields in MT are superior to Wordpress because of the way the fields are presented in the new content form. You need to get paid plugins in order to get that kind of functionality in Wordpress. Most of the templates in MT can be customized with greater control because you're provided with more templates.
Read Dennis Dewey's full review
Jean Louis profile photo

Alternatives Considered

I've used Joomla! and Drupal. Both are power CMSs but I found it easier to work with Movable Type. Every CMS has its positive and negative points, but I found more benefits to using Movable Type compared to Joomla! and Drupal.
Read Jean Louis's full review
Kurtis Amundson profile photo

• WordPress,ExpressionEngine
Compared to other content management systems that I have used, Movable Type is certainly a top-of-the-line platform. It is my primary choice when building large and intense user-based websites. If I'm building something simple, like a client portfolio website, I may stick with Wordpress. Movable Type misses some of the ease of use which Wordpress is known for, but Movable Type certainly beats it when you need to build a large-scale and user-intensive website with lots of populated user content.
Read Kurtis Amundson's full review
James Warkulwiz profile photo

Alternatives Considered

I believe that these two product are interchangeable for my purposes. I believe WordPress is slightly more complicated and prone to accidents to someone dealing solely with writing like myself; however, this seems to be the hot product right now, and Moveable Type may need to implement more opportunities to customize to compete.
Read James Warkulwiz's full review
April 22, 2014

GTD: Gets Things Done

Alternatives Considered

Movable Type can be compared to WordPress. It's easy to use, and I would say Movable Type is actually more user-friendly.

Alternatives Considered

I have not used any other product except Movable Type for my job needs because this is a fairly new position for me. However, with the positive experiences that I have had with Movable Type thus far, I cannot imagine using another product to meet the demands of my job. I am quite satisfied with it.

Role-based user permissions (1)
API (1)
WYSIWYG editor (1)
Code quality / cleanliness (1)
Admin section (1)
Page templates (1)
Library of website themes (1)
Mobile optimization / responsive design (1)
Publishing workflow (1)
Form generator (1)
Content taxonomy (1)
SEO support (1)
Bulk management (1)
Availability / breadth of extensions (1)
Community / comment management (1)

About Movable Type

Movable Type is a Perl-based CMS from Six Apart, featuring the capability to host multiple weblogs and standalone content pages, manage files and user roles, templates, tags, categories and trackback links. Six Apart was formed in 2001 as a blog solution provider in the US. In 2003 the company founded Six Apart KK, a Japanese legal entity. In November 2010, Six Apart joined forces with VideoEgg to create a new company called SAY Media. In January 2011, Six Apart KK was wholly acquired by Infocom, a Japanese IT company listed on the Tokyo Stock Exchange. Six Apart KK has assumed responsibility over all intellectual property and business operations of Movable Type, as well as trademark rights of Six Apart. The new Six Apart, a Japanese corporation formerly known as Six Apart KK, currently develops, markets and supports Movable Type for a global user base.

Movable Type touts a template markup system near in complexity to HTML. It is designed to support unlimited users and expanding without degrading site experience or increasing page load times. Custom fields, themes, plugins and the data API support great configurability. Its decoupled architecture supports flexible deployment for multichannel delivery. It is proprietary software.