Movable Type Reviews

Sophia Ahn | TrustRadius Reviewer
July 07, 2015

The best-rated CMS for magazines, blogs, and editorial content

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

We had two CMS used by our fashion publication - one was an in house, custom made CMS which was clunkier but more flexible with back end coding, and the other was Movable Type, which we used for our shorter, newsier blog posts since content was easy to build for producers, and even editors and freelance writers who weren't well versed in web production.
Read Sophia Ahn's full review
Dennis Dewey | TrustRadius Reviewer
May 08, 2014

Movable Type great for small sites on shared environments.

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

I was using Movable Type to set up small-medium sized websites for various clients including my own portfolio website for myself. It is a good lightweight CMS and blogging platform. I would usually choose Movable Type over Wordpress because it is more reliable out of the box. It is difficult to "Fireball" a Movable Type site because the platform creates static pages.
Read Dennis Dewey's full review
Jean Louis | TrustRadius Reviewer
May 14, 2014

My type is Movable Type

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

We used Movable Type as a blogging tool for our editors/writers. With the amount of content being posted to our site on a daily basis, the blogging platform helped boost our SEO strategy.
I've also used Movable Type to build CMSs for a lot of my clients that were looking to manage their own websites. The CMS helped makes it easy to update content on your website and at the same time allows you to post blog entries on a daily basis. This helps keep customers informed of company announcements.
Read Jean Louis's full review
Mark Guthrie | TrustRadius Reviewer

Movable Type - Good platform that wants to be free

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

It is used as the company intranet. I set up a MT site for each employee to log in to for internal resources. This minimizes calls to each department because people can just log in to the intranet and get what they need. It is used across the entire organization.
Read Mark Guthrie's full review
Kurtis Amundson | TrustRadius Reviewer

Flexible & Multi-Purposed Website Platform

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

The Creative Media Department of our company used Movable Type to manage many of the websites that our company ran. From the President's Blog to the news pages on our ministry partner's websites, our creative staff was able to make any design and content adjustments to all of our websites from a single installation. We also had several stand-alone websites for expeditions which were hosted by the software and accessible by additional users. Having all of the content management for multiple websites available in one location really was key for our company needs and workflow.
Read Kurtis Amundson's full review
Michelle Belmont | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 30, 2014

Easier to use and to customize products available for your users

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

The organization I was with used Movable Type for blogs written by students and faculty. It was used by the whole organization, though it is now being phased out. It addressed a need to communicate about class projects in a blog style format.
Read Michelle Belmont's full review
Joffroi Holcombe | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 08, 2014

Movable Type Review and Evaluation

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

I primarily used Movable Type when I was performing free lance web designing. I would use it at the CMS for clients so they could easily modify and add content on their sites without having any coding experience. I used Moveable Type over its competitors because it was more open to modifications and customization. It was very easy to template and depending on how proficient your PHP and SQL skills were, you could make the platform do anything you wanted.

The man issue I had was implementing the dynamic page load portion of it. I couldn't get it to work so many of my pages were loaded statically. The issue with this is some of my site's typical side bar content (ex. Recently posted....) content was not updating. I also used the system on a site that grew to about 800+ pages. This resulted in build errors and system errors.
Read Joffroi Holcombe's full review
James Warkulwiz | TrustRadius Reviewer
May 02, 2014

Moveable Type @ The Daily Collegian

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

Moveable Type was used in a CMS function to reproduce print stories quickly online for my college's student newspaper. We were able to copy and paste stories into the CMS, attach the appropriate tags, and publish the stories so they would appear online as the print version of the newspaper was produced.
Read James Warkulwiz's full review
April 22, 2014

GTD: Gets Things Done

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

When I worked at a newspaper, we launched an entertainment website that functioned as an arm of our entertainment section. It was used by about a dozen people, who essentially functioned as bloggers. So basically, we were using it as a content management system. I also seem to recall that the newspaper used Movable Type to make posts to the news side of the website. We all had our own logins and would schedule postings to particular parts of the entertainment website and the newspaper site. I would characterize our use as departmental, specifically from an editorial perspective.
April 09, 2014

First Experiences With Movable Type

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

Movable Type is used by the Office of Communications Division at Oberlin College & Conservatory. As a student blogger, we utilize the program to manage the Oberlin blogs for all contributors--students, admissions people and past bloggers. It helps us to effectively address a social media presence issue as well as helps Oberlin to successfully market its breadth of student perspectives while begin something fun and easy to engage with.

Role-based user permissions (1)
API (1)
WYSIWYG editor (1)
Code quality / cleanliness (1)
Admin section (1)
Page templates (1)
Library of website themes (1)
Mobile optimization / responsive design (1)
Publishing workflow (1)
Form generator (1)
Content taxonomy (1)
SEO support (1)
Bulk management (1)
Availability / breadth of extensions (1)
Community / comment management (1)

About Movable Type

Movable Type is a Perl-based CMS from Six Apart, featuring the capability to host multiple weblogs and standalone content pages, manage files and user roles, templates, tags, categories and trackback links. Six Apart was formed in 2001 as a blog solution provider in the US. In 2003 the company founded Six Apart KK, a Japanese legal entity. In November 2010, Six Apart joined forces with VideoEgg to create a new company called SAY Media. In January 2011, Six Apart KK was wholly acquired by Infocom, a Japanese IT company listed on the Tokyo Stock Exchange. Six Apart KK has assumed responsibility over all intellectual property and business operations of Movable Type, as well as trademark rights of Six Apart. The new Six Apart, a Japanese corporation formerly known as Six Apart KK, currently develops, markets and supports Movable Type for a global user base.

Movable Type touts a template markup system near in complexity to HTML. It is designed to support unlimited users and expanding without degrading site experience or increasing page load times. Custom fields, themes, plugins and the data API support great configurability. Its decoupled architecture supports flexible deployment for multichannel delivery. It is proprietary software.