OpenShift is Red Hat's Cloud Computing Platform as a Service (PaaS) offering. OpenShift is an application platform in the cloud where application developers and teams can build, test, deploy, and run their applications.https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/V3/0c/C9GJEQS44PDK.JPEGOpenShift - A worthy orchestration layerWe evaluated OpenShift as a docker platform for our company. While not chosen for non-technical reasons, OpenShift was a definite leader in the list of competitors. The intention was to use this platform across the company for development through production. Integration with our CI/CD pipeline was intended. Simply put, OpenShift solved the majority of our continuous development and deployment issues.,Built on top of Kubernetes giving it a solid base to work with. Extensive API support allowing developers to extend the platform as needed. Built for security. For instance, containers are expected to run as a non-root user inside the container. If this is not the case, OpenShift complains and requires an explicit override to allow the container to run.,There is a bit of a learning curve. Especially for how OpenShift expects code to be developed. Not for small deployments. OpenShift runs on Kubernetes and with that comes a fairly hefty server count requirement.,8,We expected an increase in deployment rates for applications as the developer is empowered, via workflow, to deploy applications. We expected that the added security of the system would help assist in ensuring that deployments were done correctly the first time.,Kubernetes,Gitlab, SonarQube, Black DuckGreat for solo and large enterprisesOpenShift is a great way to start, especially their free tier. It is excellent for software engineers who want to learn PaaS. I have tested many PaaS system from Heroku, IBM Bluemix, to Azure Microsoft. It is great for solo developers and large enterprises.,LocalHost using Minishift, having your own PaaS locally Fast Build times Node Support .Net Support Runs on CoreOS Vertical Scaling Horizontal Scaling No Credit Card Needed Free Tier Pricing,There is a steep earning curve More tutorials,10,Ease of use Fast Deployment Easy set up,Heroku, AWS Elastic Beanstalk, Microsoft AzureOpenShift short review1. I'm using OpenShift as development / testing / staging environment for almost all web projects. 2. As learning platform for cloud technologies eg. kubernetes and minishift .,Integrations (github) Latest versions environments (python, node, etc.) Scalabilty and extensibility Compliance Containers,Maybe more python and nodejs apps.,10,Obvious easy deployments convinced clients in shift to cloud technologies,Heroku,HerokuThe Ferrari of Container As A Service platform !RedHat Openshift is used across the whole organization to cover 2 needs. First foster a DevOps culture between developers and the middleware team. Secondly standardize the way applications are implemented based on a limited set of docker images and homogenize all configuration properties through a unified all-in-one property file defining JMS queues, JDBC databases, web-services url etc...,Openshift has an intuitive easy-to-use web interface as well as an OC client if you need to automate (oc stand for Openshift client). Openshift concepts are clear and well defined (pod, route, probe etc...). Fast, stable with an integrated monitoring tool that covers most the needs.,I would like to use another CI tool instead of jenkins. It would be useful to have a tool to apply global changes on all applications across all tenants at once. An integrated statistical module keeping historical data would be interesting.,9,ROI was positive because of far better operational costs. New clients have been attracted because of the container technology that allows them to deploy easily their own apps. OpenShift helps to create a DevOps culture.,Amazon Web Services,Eclipse, Jenkins, JBoss Enterprise Service Bus, Red Hat JBoss Enterprise Application PlatformLove OpenShift!I deployed my applications on openshift. It was helpful in these ways: 1) very easy to upload 2) Easy manuals are available 3) Easy troubleshooting It was not only one application but multiple applications. I could deploy the applications with ease and use OpenShift for software as a service. Links were quite responsive and compatible with other SAAS as well. My DB was also always deployed on the cloud.,Easy Deployment Proper Instructions,I personally had never faced any problem deploying my applications,9,I did not use it for my own business but my project links became popular as it was easy to circulate.,Heroku,Amazon DynamoDB, Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2), Microsoft BI
OpenShift

OpenShift Reviews

OpenShift
Top Rated Award
Filter 40 vetted OpenShift reviews and ratings
November 27, 2018

Review: "OpenShift - A worthy orchestration layer"

• Built on top of Kubernetes giving it a solid base to work with.
  • Extensive API support allowing developers to extend the platform as needed.
  • Built for security. For instance, containers are expected to run as a non-root user inside the container. If this is not the case, OpenShift complains and requires an explicit override to allow the container to run.
  • There is a bit of a learning curve. Especially for how OpenShift expects code to be developed.
  • Not for small deployments. OpenShift runs on Kubernetes and with that comes a fairly hefty server count requirement.
As with any solution, it depends on how and why you want to deploy it. OpenShift is excellent for medium to large deployments, but I would caution against smaller deployments unless you're planning on ramping up to a larger deployment in short order. It just doesn't make financial sense to deploy it in a small configuration.
Aivann Carlo Cariaga profile photo
May 03, 2018

OpenShift Review: "Great for solo and large enterprises"

• LocalHost using Minishift, having your own PaaS locally
  • Horizontal Scaling
  • No Credit Card Needed
  • Free Tier
  • Pricing
  • There is a steep earning curve
  • More tutorials
I discovered that our projects needed a rewrite on a lot of server code, the project we are currently working on requires reverting old versions of our project, GitHub support, persistent connection, source to image, vertical scaling, horizontal scaling, simplified routing What's great is that OpenShift supported that not only that they have a basic example to get started fast. Another great feature is that their online console is very fast.
Read Aivann Carlo Cariaga's full review
Andrew Starodubtsev profile photo
December 11, 2017

"OpenShift short review"

2. As learning platform for cloud technologies eg. kubernetes and minishift .
  • Integrations (github)
  • Latest versions environments (python, node, etc.)
  • Scalabilty and extensibility
  • Compliance
  • Containers
  • Maybe more python and nodejs apps.
OpenShift is effective for almost all web apps and services scenarios.
Read Andrew Starodubtsev's full review
November 09, 2017

OpenShift Review: "The Ferrari of Container As A Service platform !"

• Openshift has an intuitive easy-to-use web interface as well as an OC client if you need to automate (oc stand for Openshift client).
  • Openshift concepts are clear and well defined (pod, route, probe etc...).
  • Fast, stable with an integrated monitoring tool that covers most the needs.
  • I would like to use another CI tool instead of Jenkins.
  • It would be useful to have a tool to apply global changes on all applications across all tenants at once.
  • An integrated statistical module keeping historical data would be interesting.
Openshift is well suited if you want to go for docker and kubernetes but you want to hide the complexity of these 2 technologies. Openshift is a layer above these 2 technologies that makes easy to use container technology. If you already have RedHat OpenStack (for VM technology) you shouldn't use OpenShift.
January 05, 2017

User Review: "Love OpenShift!"

I deployed my applications on openshift.

It was helpful in these ways:
1) very easy to upload
2) Easy manuals are available
3) Easy troubleshooting

• Easy Deployment
  • Proper Instructions
  • I personally had never faced any problem deploying my applications
1) When you need early deployment.
2) When the number of people involved is not more than 100 (provided you are using a free version).
3) Also, there is a minimum number of applications we can keep active at one time. So if you have to keep multiple applications on at a time it is not possible [to use] free Open Shift.
Peter Ivie profile photo
March 04, 2016

OpenShift Review: "Can't beat the price to get started with a low traffic website, and still be ready for a burst of traffic."

Right now, it is being used for a single website that has previously been hosted either personally, in EC2, or on Bluehost over the years. I picked Openshift because it had the capability to scale up, but I don't get charged when use is low, which is the case a majority of the time.
  • No work seems to be required in order to scale up.
  • Free service when use is low.
  • I love the ability to login with SSH!
  • Data storage seems a bit costly in comparison with the other services, but maybe I am just cheap.
I think if you have a lot of data requirements, you could still use Openshift, but you might need to store your data elsewhere. It seems particularly suited for low content websites with bursty traffic patterns. The online interface is very simple, which is good for those (like me) who prefer to configure things from an SSH shell.
Read Peter Ivie's full review
Dale Larsen profile photo
February 20, 2016

User Review: "The Shift to OpenShift"

We use OpenShift for quick easy up websites that don't require a lot of ongoing development. We use AWS for our bigger projects that we need more control over. For example, we use OpenShift if a client needs a click-through website without much real functionality, or just a basic website.
  • Quick setup complete with pre-configured gears.
  • Easy to manage modules and gears.
  • Comes with a git repo.
  • If my site doesn't get much traffic it goes offline sometimes, so I had to set up a service to ping my site frequently.
  • Sometimes my site just goes offline randomly and I have to go restart my app.
If they want it for a simple php site or they don't have deep AWS knowledge I would recommend OpenShift.
Read Dale Larsen's full review
Sonam Samdupkhangsar profile photo
October 16, 2015

User Review: "OpenShift is the new shift in PAAS"

I am using it for evaluation purposes to understand the usefulness of this product in terms of its PAAS services. I have been using the public Openshift cloud since it has a lot more cartridges available. I have developed two applications on the Openshift cloud: Kecha and Note. Kecha, is a instant messaging application and Note is a blog-like application developed using Tomcat7, MongoDB, PostgreSQL cartridges.

From developing these applications, I have learned a lot about OpenShift. I really like their devops architecture such as using environment variables per environment for username/passwords, so no need to maintain extra properties files. I like their "hooks" that triggers builds when a code is pushed-in using GIT or you can customize the process how you like using OpenShift marker files. They also have support for Docker integration which makes it more worthwhile to integrate applications using OpenShift now.
  • OpenShift is really designed well particularly from a developers perspective. I think as a developer myself I just want to pick my target app-server runtime and choose the cartridges I need using OpenShift and I can just deploy. If you are a newbie or want to try it out you can use the OpenShift public cloud and start from there.
  • OpenShift Integration with Git makes it a attractive point. You can also use OpenShift marker files to control when to build and when to deploy after each check-in makes it convenient to customize the build and deploy behavior per environment.
  • OpenShift and Docker integration makes it a very appealing choice.
  • I would like to see a public cloud using OpenShift and Docker integration. I am not aware if this is already available now.
  • I would like to see a tool that can help with extracting log files from the remote server like it being available on a Samba shared folder. And other applications that want to scan for keywords in the application log can check if there have been any errors or exceptions thrown by the application.
I would definitely recommend OpenShift or give it a trial period. I think it gives a developer much more freedom in terms of code deployment, build process and even having log file access using RHC commands. One of its strengths is scaling and you can easily configure it using their tools for each application.

Read Sonam Samdupkhangsar's full review
Isaac Christoffersen profile photo
December 16, 2014

Review: "Whether in a public cloud or in a private data center, OpenShift keeps you productive"

We leverage OpenShift in a number of ways. First, we use it to support the Academic institutions by setting up environments for students to access course applications. Second, we use it to host our Sales Automation and quote generation tools. Finally, we leverage it to support development environments and enable developer self-service.
In addition to being a consumer, we also are a consulting company where we advise companies as to the use and implementation of OpenShift and PaaS solutions within there environment. We help them identify which applications are ideal fits and which ones should be avoided. In addition, we have worked with other partner companies to bring their products to the OpenShift environment. ownCloud is one such company where we not only created the instant application to be deployed in the environment, but also developed an on-premise Dropbox alternative for companies concerned about data ownership.
  • Ability to rapidly create application hosting environments
  • Security-first mindset with SELinux and limited ports open by default
  • Rich ecosystem of tools, frameworks, and languages. While most PaaS environments are just now moving to a Polyglot platform, OpenShift has been doing it from day one.
  • Improved monitoring of the stack. Difficult to see how the different layers can be impacted and correlate events.
  • OpenShift + Docker deployment strategies - ability to move application workloads between different deployments such as developer environments, other cloud providers.
  • More commercial supported applications similar to Drupal, Wordpress, EnterpriseDB, MongoDB, AppDynamics, etc.
OpenShift is not suited for database hosting scenarios like Oracle RAC. Best suited for stateless web applications, but if there is shared data, a distributed cache is probably about the best way to handle that.
Read Isaac Christoffersen's full review
Keith D. Moore profile photo
July 14, 2014

Review: "Shift into high gear with OpenShift for your PaaS"

We are currently using OpenShift to host Aerogear's Unified Push Notification server from Red Hat. Aerogear is installed as a plugin which is called a cartridge in OpenShift terminology. One of the dependencies for Aerogear is MySQL. It is also bundled as a cartridge and is selected as part of the Aerogear cartridge install.
  • Cartridge Architecture - The ability to install existing cartridges from the community as well as ones you create makes it really easy to get a PaaS up and running quickly
  • Source Control - OpenShift provides the ability to control changes to your software thru a Git repository. This allows you to effectively manage your software.
  • RedHat Console - RedHat provides some nice Ruby based tools that allow you to interact with your server. You can tail logs, restart the server, ssh in and change JBoss configuration settings for example.
  • Auto Scaling - There is the ability to auto scale an application. However, you have to decide on this up front. There doesn't seem to be a way to change this after the application is created.
  • Upgrading Cartridges - You can upgrade cartridges thru the source code repository provided. However, it would be nice if you could just select a new version in the UI.
  • Free Version - If you have an application running in the free pricing model and have not accessed it in over 24 hours, the application goes into a pending status. The first request after the 24 hour period will fail while your application starts up. The pricing model is really inexpensive so this really is not a big deal however.
I think OpenShift is a really nice choice for a PaaS provider. It is extremely inexpensive, especially when you compare it to others that might charge around $600 a month. For one application, a company should expect to pay somewhere between $0 and $50 per month for OpenShift services. Disclaimer: I have NOT used it in a production environment with any real load, however, I don't expect to see any issues.
Read Keith D. Moore's full review
May 06, 2016

User Review: "OpenShift enabling rapid R&D"

OpenShift was used to facilitate research and development within the front end development team. It enabled front end developers to quickly create development environments using pre built cartridges without requiring dev ops support.
Previously, developers would have been limited to the languages and tools available to them, which restricted innovation. The speed at which environments can be created has enabled great creativity.
  • Pre built cartridges, giving a huge range of software ready to go. Reduces the amount of time required to get up and running.
  • Integration with GIT was an advantage, cloning the repo and making changes was straight forward.
  • Speed, creating an environment in minutes, ready to deploy.
  • Swapping between different Openshift accounts wasn't as intuitive as I would have imagined, although I doubt that the tool is primarily aimed towards front end developers.
OpenShift proved valuable in spinning up environments quickly with specific requirements. This enabled the team to evaluate tools quickly without having to request resources from other departments, develop proof of concept solutions away from our production environment, work collaboratively as part of smaller teams and ultimately to be as creative and innovative as possible.
October 06, 2015

OpenShift Review: "Gears towards Fast IT"

Our team provides infrastructure for hundreds of applications. We implemented OpenShift as a cloud computing platform as a service. It helps our application developers to get a cloud environment where they can build, test, deploy and run applications. It helps app teams from simple application hosting, to building new service offerings, to eventually hosting your own platform. It has improved resource utilization.
  • Application Scaling: Auto scaling feature helps application teams to get the resources on the fly without wait time ( provisioning time).
  • Single platform supports multiple technologies, web cartridges and add on cartridges which helps application teams to avoid unnecessary time spent on installing and procuring software.
  • Friendly URL, clients can select the alias name as required.
  • Gear movement from one district to another.
  • Storage accessibility for auto scaled gears.
  • Gear distribution across different data centers.
For large scale applications it might be hard to manage load by provisioning gears within same host.
December 18, 2014

User Review: "OpenShift"

We used OpenShift for our internal development purpose, this helped us solve so many manual and human error problems. OpenShift Origin provides you with a platform to deploy and automate your development process as well as to automate your build process. Openshift has variety of product support. It also has integration features with build and CI tools like Jenkins,
  • Opensource
  • Can be implemented on a bare metal environment
  • Can be managed by a development team without IT involvements
  • Auto DNS registration
  • Include more Product Support (Cartridges)
  • Should include more GUI based management
  • Should help to port the application across the platform
Can this solve my current deployment process? Will this fit within my budget? Can our development team handle the technologies? Will OpenShift be a vendor lock-in situation? Or can I port my applications across any platform? Can we add any cartridges? Based on need? What are the support options available? Can we integrate the load balancer with a third party load balancer?

Ease of building user interfaces (6)
9.9
Scalability (10)
9.6
Platform management overhead (8)
Workflow engine capability (6)
Platform access control (9)
9.6
Services-enabled integration (7)
9.2
Development environment creation (10)
9.7
Development environment replication (8)
9.7
Issue monitoring and notification (6)
Issue recovery (6)
Upgrades and platform fixes (8)

About OpenShift