PowerSchool SIS Reviews

TrustRadius Top Rated for 2019

Ben Westby | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 18, 2020

Gathering Information for Staff and Families

We use the PowerSchool Student Information System to collect student demographic data and apply grades and comments to families.
  • PowerSchool Student Information System does a great job of organizing information.
  • PowerSchool Student Information System has smooth grading processes.
  • It is not intuitive to know all the shortcuts and system tools.
  • Training takes multiple days to get comfortable.
PowerSchool Student Information System is well designed for putting together a large group of students and family information for teachers to access for communication. It's also well suited for staff to apply grades and comments.
Read Ben Westby's full review
Whitney Garnai, M. Ed. | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 23, 2019

PowerSchool Student Information System Review from an Educator

PowerSchool is being used by my organization as a full-roll-out Student Information System portal. Not only can staff track attendance, grades, etc., but also parents can login to their Parent View of Power School and then can access their student's grades, attendance, and notifications there. I find power school very user friendly and enjoy using it over Schoolology.
  • Grade Book
  • Attendance
  • IEP Integration
  • Benchmark Score Integration
I feel that PowerSchool Student Information System is well suited for the following settings:
- elementary schools
- middle schools
- high schools
- small community colleges
- private schools

On the other hand, I do not feel that PowerSchool Student Information System is well suited for universities or large community colleges because of their sheer size. I have seen PowerSchool SIS used with a student population of >500, but not more than 500 students.
Read Whitney Garnai, M. Ed.'s full review
Pamela Wisecup | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 20, 2019

PowerSchool Student Information System is a Win, Win

PowerSchool Student Information System is being used by my entire school system to keep track of student demographics, scheduling, grades, and special education IEP files. By having all this information in one place, our record-keeping is effectively streamlined.
  • Scheduling is easy.
  • The gradebook is convenient and easy to use.
  • Sometimes setting up the gradebook can be tricky.
My favorite feature of PowerSchool is the Special Education record-keeping system. Information from the previous IEP can be copied. It is easy to input text. Drop-down menus assist in writing the IEP.
Read Pamela Wisecup's full review
Meg Inscoe | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 18, 2019

Educator gives PowerSchool A+

Floyd County School System in Rome, GA uses PowerSchool to take attendance, see birthdays, rosters, input grades and take lunch orders in the cafeteria. It is incredibly user intuitive and only takes my fellow teachers and me a few minutes to put in grades. At my old school, we used another much more complicated and difficult system. PowerSchool has made my life as a teacher so much easier.
  • Ease of Use: the menu is very straight forward and easy to navigate through.
  • Mobile site/App: I appreciate that there’s a mobile version of the site as well as the app so I can input grades from my smartphone on the go.
  • When going to the GA LDS site for our TKES performance review, we don’t get an email like we used to (when the system was not through PowerSchool) when our administrator fills out a document we need to complete.
  • I wish it were linked to my email and reminders for inputting grades could be set up on a certain day each month to send me an email reminding of when they’re due.
I think it’s a great platform for taking attendance, doing grades on either a P/F scale or on a 0-100 level. Our cafeteria employees love how easy it is for the kids to type in their lunch number and it registers on the system. Attendance is easily calculated. The system updates frequently to keep our rosters current. I can’t think of where it wouldn’t be needed in my school setting, at least.
Read Meg Inscoe's full review
Terica Bergan | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 17, 2019

Best-in-Class SIS that will take you well into the future!

We use PowerSchool as the master source for all student data. We also use it for managing state reporting data. We have found that it is very customizable and can be tailored to house the data we need. We have 2 school districts, and it is used by both. It allows us to keep all data in a single location to best manage the quality of our data. Importing and exporting data and automating those processes has been invaluable, as we have connected PowerSchool to our state testing system, therefore our roster within other systems is accurate, even when a new student is enrolled.
  • PowerSchool SIS has made reporting much easier. The ability for us to have instant reports for our administrator is very important, but the ability to pull the raw data and customize our own reports is crucial.
  • Tracking attendance is very important as we have truancy issues in our district and often have to provide documentation for court. It is very easy to track, print reports and customize our attendance codes.
  • The good is that PowerSchool is easy to use, the ugly is that you will need a dedicated person if you ever want to do a lot of customizations. So someone with a basic technical knowledge of relational databases is key to getting your money's worth out of PowerSchool. Frequently we need additional reports not already offered in PowerSchool, so we have someone that is familiar with sql that can create them inside of PowerSchool.
  • The built-in report card module for standards based report cards has always been my biggest disappointment. It's not that it's not there, it's just that you need someone with a programming mentality to be able to make a nice clean report. And changes are tedious and time-consuming to make.
PowerSchool Student Information System is flexible and customizable enough to facilitate districts of any size. It works out of the box, but can be heavily customized to fit the needs of individual customers. It also has externally available data connections so even if there is something you can't figure out how to do in the system, a simple data export or SQL query can make all the difference. Because we have many non-traditional schools in our district, virtual and alternative ed, we need PowerSchool to keep our state data clean and organized. It is constantly updated when our state makes changes to the rules. However I don't think it would be cost-effective for a district that has fewer than 1,000 students.
Read Terica Bergan's full review
Ai Ashe | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 24, 2019

PowerSchool Student System Review

PowerSchool Student Information is used across the entire division to manage student records and grades. It contains student information ranging from demographics to classes they are taking, teachers, grades, etc. It is also used by teachers to print a variety of reports ranging from rosters to individual student reports and attendance.
  • A wonderful student grade management tool. Easy interface to navigate. Used to add assignments, grade assignments, and categories and percentages.
  • Can print detailed reports with the option to select features to print.
  • Able to review a student's schedule, classes, grades in other classes, teacher's name and student demographics.
  • When creating assignments sometimes a feature is blocked by a pop-up window.
  • Would like to be able to print a student's overall attendance record for management.
PowerSchool is well suited for the educational system to manage student information, grades, and progress. Our PowerSchool information system contains student data from the time they entered our school system. It also contains data on student accommodations and parent contacts. The interface is user-friendly and easy to navigate. You can change the display size to suit your needs.
Read Ai Ashe's full review
January 17, 2020

PowerSchool SIS is Great!

PowerSchool SIS is being used by our entire organization. It addresses many issues for us, as it allows us to do attendance, track grades and leave comments for report cards. It also allows us to have all our information in one place, like parent information, where they live and what their IEP or 504s are.
  • It allows me to find all my students information in one place.
  • It calculates all my grades for me and weights it so I do not have to do extra work.
  • Sometimes I struggle to find the correct classes because I am not able to change the names that my school put in.
  • I sometimes cannot easily locate information I am trying to find.
It is very appropriate for public schools who are trying to do everyday things like attendance and grades. It is not well suited for private schools where students are checking in and out during the day, etc.
December 20, 2019

PowerSchool SIS is the number 1 solution for schools both large and small

PowerSchool's SIS is the way we keep track of all the information for every student in the district. It is an easy program to manage, which is key for us. We also use other PowerSchool tools and having the SIS as the backbone allows all those programs to work really well. It does exactly what it's supposed to do, which is to manage student information.
  • Easy to move students around.
  • Easy to update student information when changes happen.
  • Teacher search can be difficult.
  • Data can be lost when teachers are shuffled.
PowerSchool's Student Information System is well suited for K-12 School districts as a solution for collecting, organizing and using student information. You can assign those students to a teacher's classroom, that teacher then has access to the important student information they need to monitor their classroom, connect with parents and keep their student information organized. It works well with other PowerSchool products as a complete K12 solution.
December 17, 2019

PowerSchool: The Answer to all of your District's Educational Data Needs

Our school district utilizes PowerSchool throughout the district. It is our primary data hub for all student information including demographics, grades, attendance, and discipline. Every department in the school uses PowerSchool including, teachers, students, administrators, business office, and nurses.

PowerSchool addresses all of our student data needs. We have to collect and manage an enormous amount of student data and PowerSchool offers the ability to handle all of our student data needs.
  • Manage demographic data to help us manage constantly changing state reporting requirements.
  • Provide an excellent Gradebook for teachers that provides instant sync of grades to both the PowerSchool database and parent apps.
  • At this time I wish PowerSchool would do a better job in attendance tracking. The current system works without errors, but can be cumbersome with the amount of data available.
  • Uploading standardized test scores is also cumbersome. It can be done but takes some time to complete, and we had to create custom screens for people to be able to utilize that data effectively.
I honestly think PowerSchool is the best Student Information System available. It also may be the most expensive, but the flexibility it provides with worth every penny. Every other SIS that I have used does not allow for in-house customizations. You usually can get the SIS to build custom pages for you, but at a cost. PowerSchool allows the admin user to create custom pages on the fly without extra cost. This ability has allowed for the creation and growth of a huge network of users making unique and shareable customizations all over the country. If I can't figure out how to build something, I know I can find another user who already has.
October 24, 2019

Power up with PowerSchool

Our school district uses PowerSchool as our primary student information system (SIS). Teachers access it daily to report grades. Parents access it regularly to check grades. The administration uses it to record all attendance. Students access it not only to verify assignments but also to select classes when balloting happens. We connect to PowerSchool through our learning management software (LMS), our mobile platforms, as well as traditional desktops.
  • The mobile app for students and parents is user-friendly and always up to date.
  • Information for master scheduling is well done and of vital importance.
  • Custom reports and settings are accessible.
  • There is a need for a mobile app for the administration to easily view information while away from their desks.
  • It would be nice if it had a more robust data warehouse for assessment data.
If districts are looking for an SIS solution that is robust and adaptable to their needs, I would recommend PowerSchool. There is a wealth of user-based groups to help find a solution to any unique solution you are looking for.
Isa Dunaway | TrustRadius Reviewer

PowerSchool - Solid and Flexible

We use PowerSchool SIS across the entire school for managing student demographics, parents, emergency and other student contacts, assignments and grades, schedules, attendance, discipline and medical alerts as well as special education needs. All our teachers use the integrated grade book. Parents and students have access to see grades, assignments and due dates through a parent/student portal or an app, which has eliminated the need for printed report cards.
  • PowerSchool is highly customizable. We are able to create any field or table that is not part of the stock product.
  • PowerSchool's list of partners is extensive. If you use any other system for information relating to student data, chances are that they will be able to integrate with PowerSchool
  • Whenever I call Support, only rarely have I been put on hold. My call normally goes straight through to a support person.
  • There are also several very active user forums. I have had many questions answered through one of those.
  • The user interface could be more intuitive. Because of the many features, it can sometimes be difficult for administrators to find what they are looking for.
  • A recent upgrade allowing for more flexibility in the relationship between students and parents was long in coming and didn't go very smoothly. We are now dealing with a ton of clean-up after the upgrade. Even after we have cleaned everything up, there is still a ways to go before PowerSchool is on par with other SIS systems in that area. In their defense though, they are actively working on getting caught up.
PowerSchool is well suited for a school that wants/needs a lot of flexibility to customize the system to their own needs. This will naturally require a certain amount of technical expertise. Schools that just need the basics and don't have the personnel to oversee a comprehensive system might be better off with a simpler student information system.
Read Isa Dunaway's full review
Erika Muller | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 28, 2018

Praise for PowerSchool SIS

PowerSchool Student Information System is being used across our entire organization. To a degree, different levels of education and departments cater their usage to their needs, but the general uses are the same across our organization.

We use PowerSchool SIS to log and track student grade, to take attendance, store and log student information, email students and parents, generate grade reports, and to make due dates and assignment expectations clear to students and parents. Students have student access and parents have their own access to track grades and assignments as well.

PowerSchool could be described as "the glue" that holds together many of the logistical details in education. It would be nearly impossible to do our jobs without it.
  • Intuitive to use - Many of the features are those that you would easily be able to easily use simply by testing them out
  • Comprehensive Student information-- PowerSchool is the one tool needed to view, log, and track student and parent information. Everything from student birthdays to their individualized educational needs can be logged and tracked in PowerSchool. This makes it very easy for multiple teachers and school personnel to be aware of what students need to be successful.
  • Multiple functions-- PowerSchool tracks attendance, holds/creates seating charts, has a "gradebook" for teachers, provides many options to make the gradebook authentic and specific according to the content one is teaching, provides the ability to send out mass emails to students and/or parents, and much more.
  • Gradebook Application quits or times out sometimes -- The GradeBook portion of PowerSchool will sometimes randomly quit as I am putting in grades. Although I can easily log back in, it can be a nuisance to deal with this.
For anyone in education, primarily secondary education, PowerSchool is well-suited. In the digital age we live in, it provides optimal features for the teacher to make information tracking, attendance, and grading easy. It also provides instant information to the students when grades and other information are input.

Some of the features may be less suitable for lower elementary. However, I am in secondary education, so there may be other uses for lower el. that I am unaware of. Given that most lower el. teachers do not track grades using points to formulate a letter grade, this feature in PowerSchool would not be entirely useful for them.
Read Erika Muller's full review
Tracey Longway | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 23, 2018

PowerSchool Makes Databasing Student Information a Breeze.

It is used as the district-wide student database. Students only need to be registered once in a single location. It allows for one unified history for each student. Transfers from one school to another are simple and easy and all a student's records follow them from one place to another without anything getting lost. There is no confusion for parents and all supporting documentation can be uploaded and attached to each child's record cutting down on the amount of hard copy paperwork that needs to be kept on each student. Anytime someone needs to reference a document it is right there and they don't have to go hunting for the permanent record files.
  • PowerSchool can be customized to fit your exact needs. Pages and content can be modified/added or substracted to fit exactly what you need to save for each student.
  • Students can be transferred from one location to another easily. This makes continuity of data and reocrds seamless.
  • PowerSchool can be set up to work with other systems like IEP Direct and SchoolMessenger. This allows for easier communications with parents and easier communications between schools for special education services.
  • My district has customized PowerSchool to fit what we need it to do and is constantly updated as the State of CT comes up with new laws and regulations we need to abide by.
  • My biggest issue is not being able to see what the teachers see. PowerSchool and PowerTeacher are not the same and what they see isn't always what I see.
  • Cross-platform usage isn't always easy.
It is well suited as a database and can be expanded to save anything you can think of on a student. It is less suited as a cross-platform resource depending on your needs and how it is set up with permissions and access.
Read Tracey Longway's full review
Steve Bynum | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 18, 2018

Wonderful Product Review

PowerSchool is the SIS for our student data. It is the central hub for student and teacher data to satisfy the requirements for educational reporting to the state and federal levels. It is being used by our administrators, teachers, parents and students. It helps the parents stay abreast of all the information on their students.
  • Web based solutions running a very reliable oracle database.
  • Very user-friendly.
  • It has a very strong support team!
  • The state reporting is written to the specs of our department o0f education with makes reports easy.
  • They are improving it every day by staying on top of the ever changing technology world!
  • Again it is very user-friendly so it is hard to say that is hard to use.
  • Don't change a thing!
It allows me to connect from the backend using a variety of third-party software to query the database. Being that you can only query and not writeback through this connection, it cuts down on any protentional mistakes with uploading data. I can write lots of queries against the database to get data very easily.
Read Steve Bynum's full review
Terry C. Wood | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 18, 2018

PowerSchool SiS-continued growth

PowerSchool is an integral part of our school community. We use it to house student information and for grading purposes. The ease of use for both end users and administrators is an asset. For a sysadmin, the support community is a lifesaver as well.
  • Excellent searchability for locating student information
  • Compatibility with other systems is a major asset
  • Highly customizable for storing unique information needed in a non-public school
  • Roll out of new features sometimes needs debugging first
  • Responsiveness support has become slightly more difficult with the increase in the clientele of the product
  • Rapid expansion of the company over the last 12-24 months has resulted in some issues
Fantastic for most schools, may not be cost appropriate for particularly small schools. There is a learning curve with the system, having experienced staff on hand would be highly recommended.
Read Terry C. Wood's full review
David Murphy | TrustRadius Reviewer

PowerSchool Student Information System

We are a K-12 public school district currently using PowerSchool as our primary Student Information System. It houses all student and parent contact information, grades and transcript information, discipline information, and attendance information. We also have it connected to other products which extend the capabilities of PowerSchool. It addresses our need to maintain and report accurate digital records for students.
  • Clean and user-friendly user interface that works in any web browser
  • Solid partners that sell additional products to extend the core functionality of PowerSchool
  • Offers the ability to customize the interface with basic HTML and SQL syntax
  • Although it houses a lot of data, extracting that data often requires the use of data export and manipulation tools or writing SQL queries so only the technically-minded can do it
  • Core functionality missing: digital report cards in the Parent/Student portal/app
  • Support is hit-or-miss with low response time or a knowledgeable representative
PowerSchool is a great option for tracking student information. It is the most widely used student information system, so there are some great communities out there for support, and when you are looking to add on, there are plenty of existing customers to talk to.
Read David Murphy's full review
December 11, 2018

To PowerSchool, or not to PowerSchool...

We use PowerSchool for several pieces of our student information. First, we use it for attendance and to track absences and tardies. Secondly, we use the lunch count section. We have just begin to use the automated messaging/calling feature for delinquent lunch balances to help notify families of balances. We also use the gradebook installed to our desktops. It is nice to have a program that all faculty uses so that we are able to help each other with difficulties. It is also nice to have all of our student information in one spot to access.
  • Automated calling/messaging for delinquent lunch balances
  • Ease of accessing student information quickly
  • Ability to view how students are doing in other classrooms and not just classes with you
  • It can be difficult adding assignments to the gradebook if you don't click the right sequence of boxes
  • Some information is buried in reports where you wouldn't expect them to be
  • Setting up the gradebook for the first time may not make sense, especially if you are using standards based grading
I don't believe I have any situations where PowerSchool wouldn't be appropriate. It helps to keep student information readily available for teachers to gain contact info, health info, grades, and attendance. It has made it nice for myself to not have paper files for each student in my desk for four sections since I can look everything up on my computer.
November 21, 2018

PowerSchool offers a customizable platform for K-12 schools to manage student information in a way that all stakeholders can utilize.

I work for a school district located in a rural area with three schools - elementary, middle, and high school. We use PowerSchool Student Information System in all of our schools to keep track of our students for many things such as grades, attendance, demographics, contact information, etc. It acts as an electronic file of everything we need to store on our students.
Because PowerSchool holds so much information on our students that we can sort and download specific information electronically to use in different ways. For example, if I purchase an online assessment or program that requires student names and grade levels to be entered into their system, I am able to easily export the information from PowerSchool in a CSV file that can be uploaded into the online assessment or program. This saves me hours of time and allows us to begin using the assessment or program sooner.
  • PowerSchool houses student or staff information that can be easily accessed by those teachers and administrators who need the information. This allows everyone to go to one place to access information.
  • Parents can view their child's grades at any time with their protected login on a parent portal. This allows teachers to keep parents informed and involved in their child's progress at school. When everyone works together it increases our students' chance for success.
  • PowerSchool offers videos to train new users. When we have new employees, the videos can be accessed at any time the employee needs as opposed to them waiting for someone to help them.
  • It would be great if PowerSchool had an alert pop-up for teachers when they use an assignment category that is not set up in Final Grade Calculation. As it is, if a teacher used an assignment category that is not set up, they cannot print a report card.
  • PowerScheduler does not work for our secondary schools because we have limited classes available. We would love a solution that could help with this.
There are times when classroom assignments need to be weighed instead of received an equal portion of a grade. PowerSchool allows teachers to weigh assignments.

The new add-on products allow for more information to come from the same place. Everyone loves having one place to go with one login to remember. Being able to access student progress with graphs and charts really helps us monitor student success.

PowerSchool is customizable to your school needs. Teachers can add their own assignments and administrators can determine what data they want to collect.
November 08, 2018

PowerSchool SIS, the Best!

PowerSchool SIS is the way that student data is tracked in our school district. We use it for attendance, to house all of the important demographic information and prepare data for State Reporting. Each school in the district uses it for student tracking purposes of data and then at the district level we can see information on a wider scale.
  • It's easy to use.
  • Student data can be as rich as you would like.
  • Parent Portal accounts allow parents to have access to basic information about their child.
  • Once data is in, a moving district like ours it can be difficult to move students quickly from one school to another when they transfer.
PowerSchool Student Information System is well suited for school districts of any size, any location. I believe that PowerSchool Student Information System is the most widely used information system in the US and in the world. This kind of familiarity makes it easy for any teacher to adopt. PowerSchool is also working on a LMS which the SIS would be fully integrated into.
January 08, 2019

PowerSchool SIS is the total package

We have a school district of 40,000+ and our entire state uses PowerSchool as the SIS. It is able to organize the student data in such a way that we are able to report on our student data as a whole or at individual schools.
  • It organizes your student data for you and allows you to let others (teachers and parents) access the data they need access to daily.
  • It allows Administration to control the scheduling, discipline, and administration of the data behind the scenes.
  • The Oracle backend is easy to query and stable.
  • It allows for too much customization.
  • The mobile app causes large districts problems.
  • They cater to small districts.
Any district or school can benefit from it. I am not sure there is a better SIS out there, as I looked into every other one I could find and I think you would be hard pressed to find another. There is always room for improvement, and they would do well to try not to do so many things. Some of these things are broken, and I have to question who is telling them to fix them.
Jennifer Kauffman | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 21, 2018

PowerSchool? Power cool!

PowerSchool Student Information System is being used by my entire organization in one way or another. It is solving a myriad of problems/issues for my organization. With PowerSchool, my school is able to take and access attendance records, record grades by using the grade book feature, create progress reports along with report cards, enter and look at demographics school-wide and per student/class, enter comments into the progress and report cards, create seating arrangements for each class we teach, enter in assignments into the grade book and have them weighted by category or by curriculum standards. PowerSchool is taking many different separate items that both teachers and administrators have to complete or deal with on a daily basis, and puts them in one place, making things easy and accessible to everyone, including parents and students as well.
  • It allows teachers to add in formative and sumative assignments into their grade book with ease
  • It allows for easy attendance taking
  • It allows for quick reference of students performance not only in your class, but in others as well.
  • The function to enter in comments on report cards could be easier to access.
  • I think there should be a function to re-use weights for categories ( e.g. classwork, homework, quizzes. etc.) that you have previously used for classes.
  • After assigning the same assignment for multiple classes, if you have taken the shortcut to create them by simply filling out the information on the assignment form and then clicking on multiple classes grade books for it to be added to, if you then decide not to give said assignment to one of the classes you chose, you cannot only delete the assignment from that class, the system will delete the assignments from every class!
PowerSchool Student Information System is well suited to putting in grades for both formative and summative assignments for multiple classes. It is good for creating report cards, taking attendance, and obtaining a quick overview of how a student is doing in not only your class, but all the other classes they have taken for the year as well. PowerSchool is most well suited to schools, including primary and secondary, because it is able to not only use letter and numerical grades for final reports, but standards based grades for primary years as well.
Read Jennifer Kauffman's full review
Joanne Riker | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 19, 2018

PowerSchool is very user-friendly, but lacks visually pleasing data

PowerSchool Student Information System is used throughout the school. It is used by teachers, administrators, students, and parents. The program is used to house students personal/home information, which allows their school team members to effectively communicate with their given family members. This information is updated by the guidance department or an administrator. PowerSchool Student Information System also provides detailed school information, including grades, attendance, GPA, as well as behavior and communication logs for given school members with administrative logins. The school information is updated by guidance, administrators, as well as classroom teachers.

Students, parents, and support personnel are able to view information but are unable to make any changes within the system. The only time students are able to make edits are during course selection time, where they work within a specific page and submit their requests for the following years classes. The most beneficial part of the PowerSchool Student Information System is for students, parents, and support personnel to view the student's updated grades, which include grades for specific assessments and assignments, as well as missing work.
  • Having one linked system for student information including grades, data, attendance, etc., linked up to the grade-book (Power Teacher Pro) is very convenient for teachers.
  • PowerSchool allows support staff, administration, parents, and students to all view overall grades as well as detailed information. This is a nice feature so that all members of a student's team can be on the same page, especially when there are missing assignments.
  • PowerSchool has the feature to alert parents when students are absent from a class. Parents can check student's attendance at any time, but also can be alerted.
  • While administrators have the ability to view schedules in a format that is easy to view, students and teachers are unable to have a yearlong or trimester long schedule that is printer friendly.
  • The view available for looking back on attendance is not user-friendly. The grid per block is hard to read on both the screen and after being printed.
  • As a teacher, there is no place within PowerSchool to document communication with students or parents. Having a log would be a nice feature so that there is a record and other staff members could see the history of communication.
PowerSchool is user-friendly for checking grades, taking attendance, and viewing basic student information. It is easy to use for support staff who are not savvy with advanced technology. PowerSchool has some limits for those same support staff members, such as a communication log, overall attendance, and a viewable schedule. PowerSchool is well suited for basic information and viewing grades, however, doesn't allow for great data viewing without being an administrator.
Read Joanne Riker's full review
November 09, 2017

PowerSchool Student Information System Review

PowerSchool is being used by the entire Catholic School to manage student demographic information, classes, registration, and grades. We have even expanded it out to now use PowerSchool's Learning Management System. It is a daily tool that is the center of how we keep and manage the abundance of our student information.
  • User Friendly for both our students and staff.
  • Very customizable, and supported by a lot of other vendors/services.
  • Solid performance.
  • Has shown to be very secure, and is trusted by families.
  • Sales department could be better.
  • Some features or settings can be hidden.
  • Installing certain services can require a complex series of steps, and things are sometimes not very intuitive.
For a school, PowerSchool is a powerhouse. In the old days, every service we had to provide (grades, registration, lunch service, emergency notifications, etc...) was under its own system. Trying to sync information between providers became a hassle for the Technology department, and complicated things for our users. We can now bundle most of these services under one vendor - which is greatly reduces our overhead and labor. Also, as a large player in the SIS market, PowerSchool is widely supported by a ton of other vendors/services we use as a school.

For businesses/organizations, I wouldn't see it as useful tool - but for schools it works great!

About PowerSchool SIS

The PowerSchool Student Information System covers administrative needs, such as scheduling, attendance, reporting, data management, faculty management, emergency/medical and health management, registration, and more for K-12 schools and districts. It is easy to use and boasts an industry-leading gradebook, PowerTeacher Pro. Users enjoy a fully web-based SIS that is flexible, configurable, and scalable with real-time updates on any operating system, browser or device.