Overall Satisfaction with Extensis Portfolio
Extensis Portfolio is currently being used by only a small number of departments at our university. We heard about it from another department and decided to try it out for ourselves, and have since found it to be a vital tool for organizing our photos and being able to share them with collaborators across campus.
- Organization. It allows us to keep our photos organized and in their appropriate folders so we can find them again.
- Search. Extensis Portfolio imports all the metadata from the photo and allows you to search for keywords or descriptions from its interface.
- Sharing. Its NetPublish function allows for easy sharing across campus for other communicators to use photos we've selected for them.
- Learning curve. It can be very intimidating and difficult to learn for people who are not experienced with similar software.
- Ease of adding new users. It's currently a long process to bring anyone new onto the platform. We have to go through our DAM manager and only they have the ability to add or remove people.
- Thumbnail previews sometimes blank. Sometimes the thumbnails for photos don't load or need to be refreshed manually, which can be frustrating when needing to search through multiple folders and photos.
- Positive - saves time. The search feature is biggest time saver. Now that we don't have to spend hours staring at photo folders trying to find one that works, we can get on with design.
- Positive - keeps us current. Extensis Portfolio has the ability to arrange photos by year, which means if we have folders that are older than 5 years we can move all those old photos to an archive and keep only the most current photos to search through.
- Positive - customer service. With the ease of sharing photos with NetPublish, we no longer have to wade through emails of people requesting images. Now they can search for them themselves and we can see what photos are requested the most.
Extensis Portfolio was cheapest for our office to use and easiest with the ability to search for photos by keywords. Box and Dropbox do not have the ability to search through metadata, which was extremely important for our group. I haven't had a lot of experience with MS SharePoint, but it seemed like there was less searchability when compared to Extensis Portfolio.
We have someone in Extensis Portfolio's customer service who is the main contact whenever our group has questions or concerns. When we were looking into a campus-wide option for a digital asset management service, they were very forthcoming and easy to work with, and able to answer any questions that we had for them.
Do you think Extensis Portfolio delivers good value for the price?
Are you happy with Extensis Portfolio's feature set?
Did Extensis Portfolio live up to sales and marketing promises?
Did implementation of Extensis Portfolio go as expected?
Would you buy Extensis Portfolio again?
Extensis Portfolio is perfect for organizing photos as long as everything is keyworded correctly. If it is not part of a group's workflow to add a description or keywords to your photos, then you'd be dumping your photos into a pool with no way to search for them. Extensis Portfolio is best utilized when you give it the ability to help you search (by keywords yourself).