Are you a software & enterprise architect, well look no further than Miro!
June 15, 2022

Are you a software & enterprise architect, well look no further than Miro!

Miro has been a very useful tool for our organization and also in our interactions with our clients/customers. We use Miro for not just collaborations, brainstorming, and mind-mapping sessions, but also for executing Agile, SAFe programs/projects. We have used it exceedingly in our Program Increment planning sessions, for creating enterprise and solution architecture of crucial business problems and further for conducting Agile ceremonies.
It helps when all stakeholders can work together and contribute to the same space at the same time. It helps in significantly reducing the time spent on reviews and meetings when you can just see what one draws. It has, to a large extent, made the virtual way of working better than before. While it cannot replace face-to-face sessions, Miro has done pretty well in getting things under control during the pandemic period.
I have personally used it to conveniently convey architecture, design, and data & solution models for my solution to my team and customer counterparts.
The team has also used it effectively for release planning tasks.
  • Real-time collaboration with large audience.
  • Expanse of tools available for design and architecture of software solutions.
  • Perfect partner for Agile/Scaled Agile planning, including for conducting Agile ceremonies with geographically distributed teams.
  • Immensely useful in release planning and for tracking go-live tasks/approvals, etc.
  • A simple, but effective tool that provides so much packed into it and one that invites users from all areas of Business and IT. To a large extent it has bridged the gap between Business and IT organizations in effectively communicating the ideas.
  • Maintaining version history could be painful with multiple users modifying a page at the same time.
  • Better export features, compatible with other architecture tools.
  • Reduced time to communicate what one thinks.
  • Reduced time in peer and counterparts' reviews.
  • In some cases, mainly in IT organizations, it reduces the need to be onsite with custom counterparts. The collaboration feature is immensely helpful.
I have only used Miro for the purposes that I have previously defined. To that extent, I did not find any restrictions in Miro. Coming from a design background, I have used multiple tools for this purpose. But in my view, Miro is one of the best, if not the best available in the market for commercial use. The layout is clean, the real estate is usable and uncluttered and we do get to see occasional addition of new features which are always welcome. In a nutshell, a nicely executed tool for IT designing and IT managers.
I have not integrated Miro with other tools as such, hence I am not able to evaluate it on this criteria.
Whiteboarding has never been this easy and fun. Adapting to Miro and onboarding new members to Miro is a breeze. Ease of use and availability of tools and icons only add to its advantage.

Not sure

Miro is well suited for:
  • Ideation, brainstorming, and conducting product workshops.
  • Implementation planning (Agile planning goes very well).
  • Defining enterprise or solution architecture.
  • Using cloud components in the design.
  • Release planning & execution tracking.

Not suited for all scenarios where one would need MS Excel features. For example: if one has to create a business case or a flashy presentation then Miro isn't suited for that. And in my view, this is perfectly fine.