Miro review by a systems engineer
August 16, 2022

Miro review by a systems engineer

I had to develop a boundary diagram as a systems engineer for the system that I was designing along with my team. We had to collaborate and develop a visual representation to showcase it to stakeholders. We decided to go ahead with Miro as I had used it earlier as a student at university and had found it quite useful, and the basic version was free to use.

Pros

• Collaboration
  • Visual representation
  • Intuitive UI
  • Decent free version

Cons

• Export to PDF function of free version
  • Quicker development of diagrams
  • Easy shareability
  • Easy change tracking
I am not sure if this exists or not, it probably might exist already. But Miro could have collaborations with (or better sync with) tools like Jira, Confluence, etc which are being used in organizations already, so to leverage that and be able to use Miro boards that can create Jira tickets directly for example would be great. Currently, the competitor that we use we need to create the stories on the board, and then go to Jira and manually create those same tickets again.
Integration was quite seamless, although my use of it was not that intensive. Probably if I use it more I would have a better idea.
Definitely, this was the main takeaway we had as a team using Miro for our project. We could all work together on the board at the same time and this parallel usage cut down our time spent on it significantly. We are a team that is based in different regions around the world so online is the only option for us, so this helped a lot.

Not sure

The comparison wouldn't be quite fair since for my organization I used the paid version of Lucid against the free version for Miro, but having used the paid version of Miro in the past I know that it stacks up reasonably well against Lucidchart too.
Probably all the other diagrams that we needed to create would have been done in Miro too had it not been that our organization had an existing agreement with one of Miro's competitors. Because of that agreement we could use the paid version of that website and hence those features beat out Miro's free version. The export function was considerably better, but based on my past usage of Miro it does quite well if you have the upgraded version.

Comments