Overall Satisfaction with Windows Azure
The Windows Azure platform was used to host several web services for a marketing and software development company I worked for. Azure's scalability allowed the company to move away from several hosting providers to a single cloud hosting infrastructure. The major problem with Azure was replicating specific legacy environments for some projects.
- Scalability: You can easily scale services and plans on the platform.
- Very easy to start with.
- I ran into some issues related to security: seems like Azure servers were being targeted by unidentified attackers. This is not Azure's fault on its own but it was trickier to fix due to the visibility Azure's servers have.
- Trying to replicate legacy environments (CentOS 4, PHP 5.1 and the such) is not a pleasant experience, Azure presented a handful of barriers doing so. Modern environments had no such obstacles.
- ROI went up 5% just by moving from a traditional hosting platform to Azure's.
Evaluating Windows Azure and Competitors
- Vendor Reputation
- Existing Relationship with the Vendor
Microsoft offered the company very good support on the migration process for a previous product, so we understood Azure's features and support would be as good as our previous experience. We were right.