Reviews (1-6 of 6)
September 25, 2017
Score 8 out of 10
We use Pantheon in our business to deploy Drupal installations for client projects. It is a relatively simple way to setup a workflow for Drupal development environments and deploy changes to production. It handles file and database pushes in ways that would otherwise be laborious and time-consuming for a developer to handle.
- The test and development environments are easy to work on without worrying about making production changes.
- If you make a mistake, it's no big deal. Pantheon has backups of everything and it's easy to restore them.
- The button to push to production is like magic.
- The documentation is not for novice users. Setup requires some knowledge about the workflows and if your only experience with web hosting is a GoDaddy shared hosting plan, you'll struggle to find your footing.
- Even for experienced users, the documentation can seem incomplete. I had to contact support several times for answers to questions that seemed like they should be simple.
- My experience with support was very hit or miss. Sometimes I would get a great agent who understood exactly what I was trying to do. Sometimes I would get an agent who didn't seem to know anything. My only contact with support was during an initial setup though, once I was up and running everything is pretty easy, and I haven't had to contact them again even after multiple other deployments.
Read Nicholas De Salvo's full review
This is a good solution for a small development team who is supporting a site with many users. Many times, a shared hosting service is appropriate for a small business brochure site that gets a few hundred visitors per month, but if your site services user accounts that return or rely on information, this is a good option to rollout new changes and preserve existing data.
We are using Pantheon as a way to host and manage our clients' websites. It's used across our whole organization. It allows us to focus on developing applications instead of worrying about keeping those applications up and running.
Read Andrew Ward's full review
It is well suited for CMS websites of all shapes and sizes. A site that needs reliable performance and regular improvements should use Pantheon, as the workflow allows for better collaboration among different developers. The price point that Pantheon offers may be prohibitive to some clients that are used to cheaper hosting.
September 08, 2017
We use Pantheon as a vendor when selling our professional services of building websites. They're a complete package for a managed hosting solution and development workflow. By integrating tools like Redis, Solr, NewRelic reporting, and now free HTTPS using Let's Encrypt and their global CDN - it's a tool worth it's weight for clients whose core business is built around their website.
Read Kyle Taylor's full review
If you're primary business is not built on your website being accessible and up, then you can choose almost any host. If your primary source of revenue comes in from your website, whether it's e-commerce, sales leads, etc - then we highly recommend Pantheon as your hosting provider. If you maintain a collection of websites, putting them all under an organization account makes your user management and permissions so simple!
September 06, 2017
We develop enterprise level websites on Drupal 8 for multiple companies with Pantheon. We also use Pantheon to host a large number of small campaign sites, also on Drupal 8. It provides us with a convenient portal to administrate a large number of sites. It allows us to transfer ownership over to a customer after delivery. It also has a CLI interface to greatly help with creation/deployment and continuous integration.
- Their CLI product Terminus.
- Ease of creating projects and multiple branch/dev environments within.
- Better generic support/documentation on CI platforms other than the Pantheon preferred platform.
- More resources on instances. Module updates can fail on install/update due to the server running out of memory. Only options are to upgrade services, or build the core site external to Pantheon and then import back into the Pantheon environment. The latter part is a detriment to customers/users that are not more savvy than installing modules through the GUI.
Read Thomas Humburg's full review
Well suited for continuous integration and maintaining a large number of websites.
Less useful for single off sites that are used by less technical users.
Less useful for single off sites that are used by less technical users.
March 30, 2017
Pantheon solves the problems we used to have with other brand hosting providers where the management of the hosting accounts and all the technical pieces used to be a huge pain. Pantheon makes hosting management AND continuous integration of code a seamless, enjoyable process by comparison. It has become the only hosting company we recommend without any reservation to all of our clients and we use it for all of the sites we develop for clients whether they choose to host on Pantheon or some other service.
- Free development and testing environments
- Secure hosting
- Fast page and site performance
- Free NewRelic APM tools
- Seamless continuous integration
- Sometimes the use of WP-CLI and Terminus (command line tool, not the marketing software by the same name) is necessary to complete a task when there ought to be a way to do that task via the UI
- Sometimes Dev and Test URLs can leak into Production sites (and vice versa), requiring database UPDATE queries to correct. I'm told this is being worked on.
Read Rob Watson's full review
Pantheon is well-suited for creating development sites quickly and avoiding all of the hours and pain involved with spinning up a new site for development in the "old" localhost way. For one project I'm involved with, a developer who was used to the localhost tooling was amazed at how quickly he could begin writing and testing WordPress code with Pantheon and could hardly believe he had never heard of it!
August 29, 2017
We use Pantheon to host a Drupal application. It is used by a specific department for a specific purpose. Pantheon basically provides us a platform with a dev, test and live environment and since we often have to make code level changes in the application, it makes it easier for us to test, manage and maintain the codebase and the database.
- Easy to configure, install, and deploy websites and web application.
- Easy to switch between dev, test and live environment.
- Good user experience.
- Great support staffs.
- I feel very comfortable using the platform. They've done a great job putting it together. I can't think of any situation where it was difficult to perform any task.
Read this authenticated review
Pantheon is very well suited for hosting Drupal and WordPress sites. It might be an overkill if you're just hosting a simple blog post but if your site is larger, and you have developers changing and updating code, it surely needs to be maintained with backups and be hosted in a reliable and secure environment. I would highly recommend using Pantheon.
Pantheon Scorecard Summary
What is Pantheon?
Pantheon is a WebOps (web operations) platform for marketers and developers. The vendor states web teams leverage Pantheon to create, iterate, and launch WordPress and Drupal sites, including organizations such as Lyft, Clorox, and the United Nations, who reach billions globally with collaborative workflows and scalability. Pantheon offers a global CDN, multi-site management, and customer support — the vendor boasts powering over 300,000 sites serving ⅓ of the world’s browsing population.
Find out in seconds if your site is ready to launch. Use Launch Check to get recommendations and discover site issues fast with our report based on over 50 automated checks.Our Developer Dashboard has everything you need to build, launch, and run Drupal and WordPress sites. Interface via SFTP or Git, deploy and scale your sites, and access tools like backups and one-click core updates. Easily add team members and control access.
- Has featureFree Trial Available?Yes
- Has featureFree or Freemium Version Available?Yes
- Has featurePremium Consulting/Integration Services Available?Yes
- Entry-level set up fee?Optional
|Elite||Contact for quote|
Pantheon Support Options
|Free Version||Paid Version|
|Video Tutorials / Webinar|
Pantheon Technical Details