https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/JY/zV/UQ5EZA0EC1LJ.PNGA review from a "not-so-technical" perspectiveWhile I am sure there are other orgs/teams within the company that use Bluemix, I am unfamiliar with anybody else's usage outside that of my groups. We use Bluemix for several things, but our main use thus far has been for the Conversation Service. We use this service for the dialog design of our Virtual Agent. Additionally, we are using WKS (which I hear is now no longer a part of bluemix?) for a content annotation project with the end-goal of creating somewhat of a semantic network for our content library. The broader goal here is to improve our content's findability and relevance, so after WKS we will begin piloting WDS as a content retrieval service. That being said, our primary use-case is by far the Conversation Service for dialog design.,Intuitive user interface makes it easy for anyone to use, regardless of their professional background. A lot of the services integrate well with external platforms, APIs, and programs, not just IBM services. A lot of the competitors in this space lack this ability. Maybe it is just our contract in particular, but support and help is always made available.,Need: VISUALIZATION CAPABILITIES! Particularly with the Conversation Service. Need: Annotation capabilities for dialog nodes in Conversation Service. Need: Search/querying capabilities in Conversation Service Need: Clearer documentation of the S2T service. I had to use a third party website for an understanding of how to use this.,9,Our Virtual Agent (designed with Watson Conversation Service) handles more than 1,000 conversations per day. Since February 2017, our Virtual Agent (designed with Watson Conversation Service) has saved 222,363 minutes, or roughly 463 days, of customer support agent's time working on less complex Tier 1 issues, freeing up agent capacity to assist customers with more complex inquiries. A lot of our work is still a WIP so it is hard to answer this.,Wasn't a huge consideration for me particularly, but I know my manager considered this. That being said, it makes me feel better about my work knowing we are operating on an open-source platform that helps move toward a world wherein almost anyone can deploy through the cloud and contribute to a universal project.,10,This is not really my area of expertise. I personally did not use Docker for any of our deployments, nor do I know if our Application Develops.. I wish I had more feedback for you here, but I don't. I know we just added a Linux instance, so I would guess Docker software was used for this?,Once again, I really wish I had some feedback for you here, but I don't. I don't even know if our application developers use it, but I see potential value in cost savings by using this, or a service like this, to avoid paying for the other resources/services/API calls we don't make/use during a session.,Bluemix, promising for a small startup but a let down after further research.We were part of the IBM Global Entrepreneur program and were given the opportunity to use Bluemix or SoftLayer. We made an attempt to use Bluemix for a few small applications when were were dabbling with rebuilding the platform Meteor. If it worked out it would have been the main platform for the production distribution of the web application.,Bluemix makes it really easy to deploy new applications; they give you a good starting point and try to walk you through the process until its time to write or deploy your code. They also offer basically everything you could need for your infrastructure in one spot, which is super valuable. This was an attractive option for us. They support all of the most popular languages and frameworks, JS, Ruby, etc... and have a lot of boilerplate apps to get you started. It significantly reduces the amount of DevOps work.,When we used it, it was super buggy which didn't instill very much confidence in the platform. It seems kind of 'black boxy' like we didn't feel like we had much control over the system, so we were always kind of skeptical of the magic going on behind the scenes and how secure it was. There is not very much interfacing outside of the IBM ecosystem. We we felt pressured to use their version control management and the task management tools Bluemix provided when we were experimenting with it.,8,Well we didn't end up using it so, in that respect, I would say a negative business impact since we spent time messing with it. It did show us some technologies to look for in the future though, so that was positive. However, with Bluemix we were able to experiment with new technology which is always good for the engineers in terms of learning new things.,CloudFoundry was a big deal for us; rapid deployment is usually difficult in small teams so a tool allowing us to do that would be super beneficial. Unfortunately, we were having trouble getting Bluemix/CloudFoundry to spin up without a Rails-based web application. This was definitely a selling point for Bluemix, but we were let down. It was not as seamless as IBM made it appear.,10,We didn't use containerization in out application.,We didn't use open OpenWhisk either but we've always been told to stay away from technology like AWS Lambda and OpenWhisk since you are basically giving all of your app performance control up to the hosting provider. For that reason I would stay away from this as well, unless someone could could explain to me why my concern isn't an issue. It could be good for rapid prototyping though.,digital ocean and softlayerA good service for companies with big guns.It ran our entire backend functionality. It is used across the entire organization and its impact is seen on every one of our customers. We used it to try to simplify our deployments, as they took a lot of time out of our day.,Large collection of tools to integrate with. Growing application support. Bluemix has the ability to scale easily from very small to very large.,Applications that were integrated had a feeling like they came from very different companies and organizations. Logins had to be performed often between different services, once a week the applications would change and we had to learn a different way to do the logins. Branding is important, but the names, like "Jazz" would get in the way of what the application did for us. So new developers would have to learn 5-6 new special websites just to do a single deployment. And one or two new changes a month to keep up with it.,2,Deployments are easier than in a server up environment, though it takes some training. The service proved unreliable; if it didn't deploy, we just did it again until it worked.,It was the way we use it, but as I mentioned before, the integrations fell behind.,10,We used Docker container-based applications, but again, deployments sometimes worked and sometimes didn't, so we have the issue of trying it five times and then, if it doesn't deploy, troubleshooting it.,Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) and HerokuBenefits to Small Startups from BluemixIt's used across the whole organisation, Bluemix is providing the foundation for our enterprise apps, which we develop as mobile-first developers. The availability of push notifications, the functionality and integrity of the mobile system, as well as the overall security are the keys to its value to us.,Flexible development environments available, all interoperative, from Docker-based to apiconnect-based. We can use several repo-sites and keep code versions well tracked and reclaimable on any of them. The networked nature of the systems means we can develop from a world wide basis of engineers and programmers, although right now we have one Senior Software Engineer and a couple of coders, in different countries. Datasources can be connected from anywhere. Mobile Endpoint Security, and Server Security (meeting or exceeding 27001 and 27002) with IBM, represent resellable value to us. We are a fledgling company, but as soon as we are able to afford to use the Blockchains offered by IBM, we will do so, because we can eliminate one entire class of financial (or any trust/transaction-based) risk this way. With the use of Cordova we can code our front ends once and cover the web, Android and iOS platforms together with minimal fuss to tailor the code.,Sometimes the API Connect GUIs don't cleanly disengage after attaching models or updating schema and it is hard to know what has been written successfully and which (if any) models or tables were missed. I shouldn't have to manually check through a list of 377 models to find the ones in and out of a list on either models, folder or database tables. Printing a summary even in logs which did a "diff" sort of thing between 'task-set' and 'task-completed' (referring to attaching models or updating schema as tasks here as 'tasks'). Provide access to Postgres Database in Sydney datacentre for Australia. Clearer documentation around setting up a secure (referring to SSL and certificate setup here) server on eg, chubby1.au-sydney.mybluemix.net. Allow a ramp in pricing onto the Blockchains. We will not be able to afford it until quite a few years into production, even if we launch successfully.,10,IBM Bluemix is mainly a foundation enabler at this stage, although our business plan does look promising. The low cost of development on Bluemix for a start-up like us is so helpful......we had no spare cash for this project besides what we could save or borrow at first, and that wasn't much. We are still trying to attract venture capital to cover the main Cordova Coding effort plus the launch "Cash Burn". Features like push notifications, mobile-back end, and world-beating security help us to sell our SaaS products/services. The pure (usually!) functionality of IBM products and services is very rewarding to work with.They are so insightful and thoughtful, to say naught of clever!,We had been using Red Hat systems but found they could not financially do business with us in Australia. We came to IBM with an open mind, as I had my first experiences with networked IBM computing as a trainee mech engineer using FORTRAN on a remote TTY terminal in North Sydney from James Howden's offices. Those times opened my eyes a lot and impressed me even then, in 1976. Compare that to using CloudFoundry from way down the South Coast of NSW and experiencing the speed with which I could build a basic app server which worked and be able to edit code, and together with our casual software engineer, I was able to learn how CloudFoundry apps worked (including all about Docker). The degree of automation is amazing with the CloudFoundry systems, but I have to admit we stumbled onto all this partly because Red Hat failed us in a business sense, and my memories of my prior contacts with IBM have all been impressive, so when we started searching for an alternative PaaS provider, they seemed [to be the] most reliable, safest and best of the prospects.,1,By installing Docker locally, we were able to code/test/run etc., our apps locally, building, running and linking pairs of small containers housing an app server and a database server. Alterations can be made to the models or the database tables, code can be edited, all locally. You can then "push" all the code from the app's root directory, to Bluemix in the Cloud (we have used the US South region as well as the Sydney, Australia region) with "cf push <app_name>", or "commit" and "push" to your upstream repo, and build & run it from there. The cloud version, including API endpoints for each model should then be available on the Bluemix site from the browser, as long as you have configured your web certificates properly for the SSL system (https://). Of course you need to have connected a database service, with schema, and a full set of models for the app server to connect to. Adding database functions on the database server to post between 2 layers of the database (the Use Case layer receiving incoming Form-Data, and the Raw Business-Data Layer) and routing code in the node.js app server completes the backend.,Red Hat and HerokuGood choice, some more features to equalize with others welcomeWe were using container services from Bluemix - CloudFoundry PaaS to manage our applications. Apps were Java wars wrapped in Docker containers. Also Softlayer VPS's were used to provide for our Cassandra cluster, where we installed and managed Cassandra instances manually. Four VPS nodes total were in use.,PaaS Watson (did not use in prd, just saw good demos) Bare metal servers,At the time we used there was no direct Docker offering (had to use containers via CloudFoundry api, which is another layer to learn) No hosted Cassandra database offering (or similar DB, like Amazon Dynamo) I was unable to use VPN link with another provider: Both sides had incompatible configurations and it was impossible to instantiate working VPN connection. Support was only able to point that the other party uses settings that are incompatible with IBM.,8,Expedited app deployment Deployment of software on VPS was a pain Faulty VPN consumed lot of time and was not successful in the end,CF was not a major positive or negative factor in choosing Bluemix. I consider Docker as the de-facto standard for containers. I perceive CloudFoundry as an API that abstracts the provider somehow, however in practice it's largely just another thing to learn. I think it's a good step that Bluemix now has direct support for Docker/Kubernetes which are now used everywhere.,,We used Docker images over the CloudFoundry API. It seemed slightly superficially stitched together as we were not able to get some features to work for us (e.g. mapping ports with standard command options). We had however several apps deployed as PaaS with use of CloudFoundry, however using Docker directly would be nicer from the user's perspective.,While it looks convenient to start development, I have not heard of any complex case studies for such a Lambda approach. To prove its effectiveness in real life scenarios as it abstracts the control over the execution to the platform. Also this model lacks strong development environment support, and requires different process/setup from a configuration management point of view.,docker, amazon, azure, heroku and dcos
IBM Cloud Foundry

IBM Cloud Foundry Reviews

IBM Cloud Foundry
Filter 12 vetted IBM Cloud Foundry reviews and ratings

River Hain profile photo
September 15, 2017

IBM Cloud Foundry: "A review from a "not-so-technical" perspective"

• Intuitive user interface makes it easy for anyone to use, regardless of their professional background.
  • A lot of the services integrate well with external platforms, APIs, and programs, not just IBM services. A lot of the competitors in this space lack this ability.
  • Maybe it is just our contract in particular, but support and help is always made available.
  • Need: VISUALIZATION CAPABILITIES! Particularly with the Conversation Service.
  • Need: Annotation capabilities for dialog nodes in Conversation Service.
  • Need: Search/querying capabilities in Conversation Service
  • Need: Clearer documentation of the S2T service. I had to use a third party website for an understanding of how to use this.
Well Suited:
- Development of information architecture/library. It enables better classification/taxonomy, leading to more intuitive findability.
- Dialog design and content retrieval for virtual agents. (e.g. a virtual agent whose content offerings are not hard-coded into the response fields, but instead require crawling/drawing from other pages/libraries)
Not Well Suited:
- Annotation/labeling/clustering of information that will be retrieved using a different search/query service.
Read River Hain's full review
Brett Bloethner profile photo
September 19, 2017

IBM Cloud Foundry Review: "Bluemix, promising for a small startup but a let down after further research."

• Bluemix makes it really easy to deploy new applications; they give you a good starting point and try to walk you through the process until its time to write or deploy your code.
  • They also offer basically everything you could need for your infrastructure in one spot, which is super valuable. This was an attractive option for us.
  • They support all of the most popular languages and frameworks, JS, Ruby, etc... and have a lot of boilerplate apps to get you started.
  • It significantly reduces the amount of DevOps work.
  • When we used it, it was super buggy which didn't instill very much confidence in the platform.
  • It seems kind of 'black boxy' like we didn't feel like we had much control over the system, so we were always kind of skeptical of the magic going on behind the scenes and how secure it was.
  • There is not very much interfacing outside of the IBM ecosystem. We we felt pressured to use their version control management and the task management tools Bluemix provided when we were experimenting with it.
I would definitely recommend it for prototypes and, if it seems to work well, maybe in some working environments and production. When I was using it I definitely only would have recommended it for raid prototyping.
Read Brett Bloethner's full review
Jason Brower profile photo
September 12, 2017

IBM Cloud Foundry Review: "A good service for companies with big guns."

• Large collection of tools to integrate with.
  • Growing application support.
  • Bluemix has the ability to scale easily from very small to very large.
  • Applications that were integrated had a feeling like they came from very different companies and organizations.
  • Logins had to be performed often between different services, once a week the applications would change and we had to learn a different way to do the logins.
  • Branding is important, but the names, like "Jazz" would get in the way of what the application did for us. So new developers would have to learn 5-6 new special websites just to do a single deployment. And one or two new changes a month to keep up with it.
It is suited to large businesses with somebody specifically in charge of deployments. He would be a person specifically paid to take care of all the machines through the Bluemix service. It is not a good situation when the teams are small, such as a three-person development team, because there is considerable maintenance that must be taught between them, and this costs a bit of time and hence money in that situation.
Read Jason Brower's full review
John Olsen profile photo
July 12, 2017

IBM Cloud Foundry Review: "Benefits to Small Startups from Bluemix"

• Flexible development environments available, all interoperative, from Docker-based to apiconnect-based. We can use several repo-sites and keep code versions well tracked and reclaimable on any of them. The networked nature of the systems means we can develop from a world wide basis of engineers and programmers, although right now we have one Senior Software Engineer and a couple of coders, in different countries.
  • Datasources can be connected from anywhere.
  • Mobile Endpoint Security, and Server Security (meeting or exceeding 27001 and 27002) with IBM, represent resellable value to us.
  • We are a fledgling company, but as soon as we are able to afford to use the Blockchains offered by IBM, we will do so, because we can eliminate one entire class of financial (or any trust/transaction-based) risk this way.
  • With the use of Cordova we can code our front ends once and cover the web, Android and iOS platforms together with minimal fuss to tailor the code.
  • Sometimes the API Connect GUIs don't cleanly disengage after attaching models or updating schema and it is hard to know what has been written successfully and which (if any) models or tables were missed. I shouldn't have to manually check through a list of 377 models to find the ones in and out of a list on either models, folder or database tables. Printing a summary even in logs which did a "diff" sort of thing between 'task-set' and 'task-completed' (referring to attaching models or updating schema as tasks here as 'tasks').
  • Provide access to Postgres Database in Sydney datacentre for Australia.
  • Clearer documentation around setting up a secure (referring to SSL and certificate setup here) server on eg, chubby1.au-sydney.mybluemix.net.
  • Allow a ramp in pricing onto the Blockchains. We will not be able to afford it until quite a few years into production, even if we launch successfully.
For us as a start-up IT company (offering SaaS) whose entire existence revolves so far around the possibilities offered by the cloud and a PaaS like Bluemix, we are building our image on a "Mobile-First" reputation, and have the necessary skills to write our own financial recording/reporting systems, with master ledgers updated from journals, as well as the other bells and whistles required by modern enterprise apps. Bluemix allows our customers, people in businesses, to connect from the field or office, from anywhere in the world, and complete any (100%) of tasks available on the applications. Where the data to be recorded is largely text and numbers encodable in JSON format, real-time internet can be used very effectively to transmit requests and receive responses from the servers in the cloud. We arrange to save images and/or video recordings "on-device" until the user returns to an office or location where a wi-fi modem or hotspot can be connected to.
Read John Olsen's full review
Wojciech Kaminski profile photo
July 12, 2017

IBM Cloud Foundry Review: "Good choice, some more features to equalize with others welcome"

• PaaS
  • Watson (did not use in prd, just saw good demos)
  • Bare metal servers
  • At the time we used there was no direct Docker offering (had to use containers via CloudFoundry api, which is another layer to learn)
  • No hosted Cassandra database offering (or similar DB, like Amazon Dynamo)
  • I was unable to use VPN link with another provider: Both sides had incompatible configurations and it was impossible to instantiate working VPN connection. Support was only able to point that the other party uses settings that are incompatible with IBM.
+ General purpose application hosting (especially that uses relational database backend)
+ Cognitive computing that leverages Watson's capabilities of it's trained models;
- Column database support for internet grade apps and data-heavy solutions is missing
- is Lambda Computing available on Watson? (not that I am fan of it, but it has been getting some attention)

Read Wojciech Kaminski's full review
Tomislav Petrinec profile photo
June 20, 2017

IBM Cloud Foundry Review: "Banking with IBM Bluemix"

Currently, it is used for the development of an API for a payment services directive. We are a bank within EU and have to implement such a solution.
  • Speed - with a few regions we can always load balance for maximum performance.
  • Availabilty - anywhere, anytime.
  • Usability - everything in one place. Usage metrics and services.
  • Maybe a better user management interface. Every region and all users in one view.
It is especially suited for highly available solutions that need to run 24/7 across the whole world.
Read Tomislav Petrinec's full review
June 22, 2017

IBM Cloud Foundry: "IBM Bluemix Review"

We are currently evaluating the Bluemix stack to get more insights and to be able to identify relevant business cases. We are not yet using it as a production system, but only for test purposes. There are a lot of interesting services included, and we are also interested in offering our own services.
  • Bluemix provides a rich bundle of services you can use.
  • Bluemix is now integrated with some infrastructure components.
  • Fast ongoing development for services/offers.
  • Support sometimes does not respond to tickets in an appropriate timeframe (currently waiting over 7 days for a reply). Sales does not respond to emails.
  • The user interface and the integration of SoftLayer is weird, and it's easy to get lost there.
Using existing cognitive services is very easy. Getting things started for a PoC is also easy. More complex scenarios (like offering our own service in the catalog) is hard to achieve. I currently find it difficult to imagine operating a real production system in the cloud.
June 22, 2017

IBM Cloud Foundry Review: "Why I chose Bluemix over AWS and Azure"

I'm using Bluemix primarily as a means of centralizing data from multiple IoT devices. It solves the problem of providing a platform by which multiple multiple application components (e.g., database, authentication, etc). can be implemented quickly and with little time and money investment. This is an ideal setup for me because it requires minimal support for the infrastructure needed to host my end application.
  • Makes a number of integrated modules available seamlessly (e.g., mobile, database, authentication, etc.
  • The node js platform for hosting IoT components is extremely easy to use.
  • The node-red graphical wiring tool is makes it especially easy to integrate 3rd party services.
  • Excellent customer support.
  • More tutorials/education materials for Cloudant would be nice.
  • More flexible notifications for outages would be helpful.
  • More integrations to third party services within node-red would be useful.
My uses of Bluemix centered around IoT applications. I found the platform powerful and flexible to support my use cases. The node-red graphical "wiring" environment made it especially easy to create custom applications that integrate with third party services. This is especially useful in the growing the IoT field. The other major benefit of the bluemix setup is the ease in which one can integrate IoT services with SaaS options such as the Cloudant database.
July 12, 2017

IBM Cloud Foundry: "IBM Bluemix Review"

To my knowledge it is only used in our department, but then again some companies don't share information horizontally well. It's used mainly as a general hosting product.
  • Simple UX
  • Good design
  • Expensive
It's [well] suited if you want to use cognitive computing services and general computing all from one provider.
Craig Nash profile photo
August 23, 2016

IBM Cloud Foundry Review: "BlueMix is starting to be able to give AWS a run for their money."

IBM Bluemix is being used as my primary cloud computing service, having recently replaced AWS as my preferred service. I work with an IT consulting firm, and specialize in designing IT infrastructure for businesses, usually start-ups. My company has changed over the years as technology changes, originally setting servers up at the clients location, then moving to hosting them myself, and now I utilize cloud services with IBM as my primary source of server environments since software development is the focus of 75% of the start-ups I have been encountering, which is where BlueMix shines. Instead of detailing out how I use these services, I am going to explain the differences between IAAS (AWS/Google/Azure) vs PAAS (BlueMix, Redhat). The main difference is what level of control the system focuses on, when it comes to IAAS, the system is focused on infrastructure, such as building a server with x processors, x amount of ram, a storage system with X Gb of data. PAAS on the other hand, is focused on the whole platform that will run your software rather than just the simulated hardware specifications. AWS (IAAS) lets me build a virtual server with 2 processors, 1 gb of ram, 15 Gb of drive space, and 2 network adapters, which I then need to install an OS on, BlueMix (PAAS) lets me setup a geographically clustered environment that can serve HTML, PHP, and MySQL, while also being able to pull Microsoft SQL, while running a version tracking system, such as GIT. So from the start, I specify what I need my system to do to run my software, rather than what I need my server to have to run my OS, to run my server software that I can add additional functionality to in order to allow my custom software to operate best
  • Bluemix is great at providing a custom environment that offers everything I need to develop and run my software, rather than just providing a blank virtual server that I need to configure
  • Bluemix is very good at getting a "ready to use" environment deployed very quickly
  • Offers a wide variety of very unique, and cutting edge services. For example, I recently came across a Bluemix service that analyses any documents I want, such as email, and can tell me what emotions I am conveying. Is it a hateful sounding email, or a happy sounding one.
  • Documentation is lacking unfortunately, and while the new version of BlueMix is very quick and easy to use, it still requires a heavy development background to get features out of it that would end up rivaling AWS.
  • Stability isn't where AWS is, and while being a perfect development system, it isn't where you want to run a production site where downtime causes financial losses.
  • It is very hard to move your app off of BlueMix to another cloud service, as you just can't get the same level of platform customization, and you are going to absolutely be stuck to other PAAS providers.
IBM BlueMix is the perfect, and I do mean "PERFECT" environment for any business working with app development, which is becoming a very large industry very quickly, or an IOT (Internet of Things) oriented business. It allows you to very quickly deploy a custom platform to run and develop your software with, rather than quickly deploying a blank server. BlueMix is especially useful in any situation where multiple developers will be working on a development project or where external contractors need to interact with the development process. BlueMix is also invaluable for those who have an existing data source – for example, a company that has a large CRM system that has built up a large customer database and wants to design applications which utilize that data. Since the customization is in the platform, it is not ideal for companies that need to have mobility capabilities to move between different cloud companies, or any company that has software that requires a lot of server hardware or OS customization.
Read Craig Nash's full review

IBM Cloud Foundry Scorecard Summary

About IBM Cloud Foundry

IBM Cloud Foundry is an IBM version of the open-source platform designed to make it easier and faster to build, test, and deploy, and scale applications. Enterprises can now run Cloud Foundry in a public isolated environment, while natively integrating with other IBM Cloud
services, such as AI, Blockchain, IoT and data tools.

Cloud Foundry Enterprise Environment (CFEE) runs on a Kubernetes service, which reduces complexity by giving development teams a comprehensive set of familiar tools under one management umbrella. CFEE allows IT organizations to safeguard their existing investment in
Cloud Foundry, while seamlessly bringing in new skill sets that will lead to building apps that provide contemporary customer experiences.

Visit our Docs pages for pricing and support information.

IBM Cloud Foundry Features

Has featureEase of use building interfaces
Has featureScalability
Has featurePlatform management overhead
Has featureWorkflow engine capability
Has featureService enabled integration
Has featureDevelopment environment integration
Has featureIssue recovery
Has featureUpgrades and platform fixes

IBM Cloud Foundry Integrations

IBM Cloud Kubernetes Service, IBM Cloud Continuous Delivery, IBM Cloud DevOps Insights

IBM Cloud Foundry Competitors

Microsoft Azure, Amazon AWS, Google Cloud Platform

IBM Cloud Foundry Technical Details

Supported Countries:https://console.bluemix.net/docs/containers/cs_regions.html#regions-and-zones
Supported Languages: EnglishEnglish, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese/Brazil, Spanish, Chinese Simplified, Chinese Traditional