https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/Kx/1h/HZAE1T6DFI1E.JPEGSybase SQL Anywhere - better than a kick in the pantsWe use SAP SQL Anywhere as the database for our core line-of-business application. We have both stand-alone and multi-user (enterprise) installations of this application. It is the repository of all our major transactional data, and as such is also the source for our data warehouse, which is a separate platform and environment.,SQL compliant ODBC drivers available Simple implementation,Seems a lesser implementation of SQL than T-SQL / SQL Server Desktop version (vs. enterprise version) seems underpowered, like Access vs MS SQL rather than a desktop edition of an enterprise database Fewer experienced resources available with Sybase skills,4,Skilled/experienced resources are less prominent than Microsoft SQL Server or even Oracle, or MySQL, so finding solutions and assistance, if needed, takes more time than it would with other platforms You will need to find a good SQL query tool by yourself because the Sybase Central / Interactive SQL utilities are lacking in many basic features, and just generally have a bad user interface,Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle Database and MySQL,Splunk Enterprise, NetSuite, SlackA fair SQL database management softwareWe utilize this software to be able to host our own software as a database service so that our customers can use it.,The ability to host network database services and the ability to manage them.,Some features seem hard to use and do not have a clear reason what it is used for.,8,The software is considered essential for our own software to flourish in the current market.SAP SQL Anywhere the most powerful for lighter businessI as a SAP Consultant use SAP SQL Anywhere DB with multiple SAP as well as non-SAP products as support and implementation products. It's been completely used by a client's whole organization, where we were not in the situation to put much of the hardware resources, also we were not in the position to put extra manpower to manage the DB as with other DBs like Oracle, DB2, MSSQL, Sybase, HANA etc...,I will try to put in simple way- the best parts are this product is delivered as a default DB for some of the products and can be used as default we can say inbuilt DB delivered with complete setup and can be setup according to our needs. It is simple to manage and use, very light weight, uses less resources hardware as well as manpower. I would say it is the best DB to use for SAP BO system, smooth implementation, not much of the challenges too and easy to use with different workarounds.,Since I am using this DB and I can see the tremendous and improved functionality that has been delivered with each version, as a DBA you should expect this DB should support a huge amount of DBs like the way it can work with small scales. Also I can see there are many features being delivered with each versions, which you should mark as disabled if you don't manually use or enable or configure them which will ultimately help to save the unnecessary usages of resources.,10,If you plan and setup in proper manner there is negligible negative impact. As a positive impact - less utilisation of hardware as well as manpower resources to put on to manage DB, always being delivered with improved performance and new features. As a negative impact, so far we use this DB only as a recommendation for particular products like SAP BO, Wily Interscope etc... where this DB is being delivered as built-i , so we have not much of the negative impact.,DB2 and Oracle Database,SAP Roambi, SAP Vora, IBM MaximoSQL AnywhereSQL is a global platform for any DB machine, and my ability to use SQL Anywhere across all DB platforms gives me the edge to get real time data, fast and deliverable, and easy to use when you understand your requirement as a function analyst to leverage such skills across all databases. I have used SQL Anywhere across MS, Oracle, Postgres and MySQL platforms, and I will say its a great skill to have and use. I recently consulted for a company that already used MS DB and were thinking of switching its DB to SQL Anywhere. One of the challenges was the migration of stored procedures. These procedures will have to be evaluated and validated and probably re-written to suit current needs that they serve.,It queries large set of data and has a speedy run time. With the rate at which data is going with Internet of All things, SQL Anywhere cuts across database applications outside of traditional data centers in which department data's are stored. The amazing thing about SQL Anywhere is the relational standard it maintains as a structured language that works across any DB. Yes, you might need to adopt some changes within the environment DB you are working; however, its important to know SQL itself to help archive data goals.,I think it should be more user friendly for non-technical users. More functional functionalities should be added to the object explore when working with a table to transform data/manipulate data.,10,SQL anywhere!This database is used organization-wide as the back end to an ARM solution we use as well as a data warehouse for BI and reporting.,Easy to use Interfaces well with third-party tools,No complaints,10,It provides us the ability to make fluid business decisions based on real-time data.,Oracle and MS SQL,SAP Crystal,30,1,ARM software, it's the heart of our operation and relies extensively on the database, thus we need a stable and reliable solution. We've run the solution on SQL anywhere for the better part of 12 years and had (knock on wood) no major issues. We utilize SQL anywhere to draw data out of the database to provide to clients and business associates, the built in tools not only allows us easy export capabilities but easy access to import data into tables. We utilize the database for data warehousing to meet all of our reporting needs, it meets or exceeds all of our needs.,I like to use SQL anywhere as a Data transformation tool, inserting data into temporary tables, transforming it and then exporting it out. Its fast, easy and allows me a ton of flexibility.,10,Yes,Continued SAP support from a feature stand point, we are still new into this release so we haven't found all the benefits as of yet.,No,No
SAP SQL Anywhere

SAP SQL Anywhere Reviews

SAP SQL Anywhere
Filter 10 vetted SAP SQL Anywhere reviews and ratings
David Williams profile photo
October 08, 2018

SAP SQL Anywhere Review: "Sybase SQL Anywhere - better than a kick in the pants"

• SQL compliant
  • ODBC drivers available
  • Simple implementation
  • Seems a lesser implementation of SQL than T-SQL / SQL Server
  • Desktop version (vs. enterprise version) seems underpowered, like Access vs MS SQL rather than a desktop edition of an enterprise database
  • Fewer experienced resources available with Sybase skills
SAP SQL Anywhere is better than not using a database, let's be clear there! However, I wouldn't pick it as my first or even second or third choice. I'd recommend looking at other options. Largely, it appears less powerful both in terms of its robustness and general performance and in its implementation of SQL. The standard Sybase utilities provided are lacking in basic features, and the interactive SQL utility is quite horrendous. However, the great thing is it is an ODBC-compliant SQL-compliant relational database.
Read David Williams's full review
Kishion Guyah profile photo
September 28, 2018

SAP SQL Anywhere Review: "A fair SQL database management software"

• The ability to host network database services and the ability to manage them.
  • Some features seem hard to use and do not have a clear reason what it is used for.
It is very good for managing SQL databases as well as hosting them for network-level access. I know there are many other types of services that it can be used to host but for the personal and network services, this software is efficient.

Our company uses the software to host our own database program where multiple users in an organization can connect to the database. This is very useful as our own database is commonly used by multiple individuals to make changes.
Read Kishion Guyah's full review
Pradeep Bele profile photo
October 09, 2018

Review: "SAP SQL Anywhere the most powerful for lighter business"

• I will try to put in simple way- the best parts are this product is delivered as a default DB for some of the products and can be used as default we can say inbuilt DB delivered with complete setup and can be setup according to our needs.
  • It is simple to manage and use, very light weight, uses less resources hardware as well as manpower.
  • I would say it is the best DB to use for SAP BO system, smooth implementation, not much of the challenges too and easy to use with different workarounds.
  • Since I am using this DB and I can see the tremendous and improved functionality that has been delivered with each version, as a DBA you should expect this DB should support a huge amount of DBs like the way it can work with small scales.
  • Also I can see there are many features being delivered with each versions, which you should mark as disabled if you don't manually use or enable or configure them which will ultimately help to save the unnecessary usages of resources.
SAP SQL Anywhere DB is very well suited where you don't have large data loads with huge amount, its very well suited with SAP BO, Wily Interscope, etc as it need less of the queries with simpler manner and less load, also comes as a built-in DB.
This DB is definitely not recommended where you have huge amount of data sources, regular big transactions, and is in fact not suitable for finance, business systems, or in more customer or master data management systems.
Read Pradeep Bele's full review
Nosa W.I profile photo
April 03, 2018

SAP SQL Anywhere Review: "SQL Anywhere"

• It queries large set of data and has a speedy run time.
  • With the rate at which data is going with Internet of All things, SQL Anywhere cuts across database applications outside of traditional data centers in which department data's are stored.
  • The amazing thing about SQL Anywhere is the relational standard it maintains as a structured language that works across any DB. Yes, you might need to adopt some changes within the environment DB you are working; however, its important to know SQL itself to help archive data goals.
  • I think it should be more user friendly for non-technical users.
  • More functional functionalities should be added to the object explore when working with a table to transform data/manipulate data.
It is well suited if an organization does not currently have a DB they are running. They can procure and run with SQL Anywhere. It is not suited if an organization currently runs a licensed DB such as MS, Oracle etc. except if they want to sync the DB's to have a more robust data center.
Read Nosa W.I's full review
Jeff Hieber profile photo
March 19, 2018

SAP SQL Anywhere Review: "SQL anywhere!"

• Interfaces well with third-party tools
  • No complaints
This is a great database for small to mid-sized organizations looking for a powerful SQL database not looking to break the bank. Easy to use toolset and transact SQL.
Read Jeff Hieber's full review

About SAP SQL Anywhere

SAP® SQL Anywhere® solutions aim to deliver enterprise-level data management and synchronization capabilities. The solutions are designed to run in remote and mobile environments on a wide range of small-footprint devices and in real-world conditions.