Is GoToMeeting the go-to platform?
Marc Duke | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 18, 2020

Is GoToMeeting the go-to platform?

Overall Satisfaction with GoToMeeting

I am a classic GoToMeeting user, I have had an account and used it to set up calls for clients/colleagues and connections. I have used it on a desktop and on a mobile device. I have used the calendaring function as well as the presentation features. It has been used to ensure teleconferencing/meeting can occur quickly and simply. I have accessed it using a phone as well via an IP connection.
  • Auto connection from a mobile app.
  • Ability to see presentations on-screen.
  • It makes it easy to use video.
  • Scheduling on a mobile device.
  • Speed of collaboration.
  • Effectiveness of collaboration.
There is little to choose from when looking at a lot of the platforms in terms of video quality and ease of use. I have preferred Zoom more recently as it seems to work a lot better. BlueJeans is excellent in terms of sounds and video quality as well. PowWow Now is much worse and Skype for Business is not as good in functionality terms either. Slack is fine for one-to-one calling but not web conferencing and I have not used Chantly. The key thing I have found GoToMeeting strongest with is setting up calls and calendaring.
Most of the time the performance has been alright. Occasionally, the voice and video performance isn't great but all platforms suffer from these problems. Part of the issue with GoToMeeting is the degree to which it uses battery charge on a mobile phone and in terms of bandwidth, the use is it quite heavy. I have not compared it to other solutions but have found that GoToMeeting is less popular than Zoom.
It has enabled me to have meetings effectively over the phone or video rather than having to spend time (and money) commuting. There is no comparison to meeting people face to face, and until someone comes up with a VR experience GoToMeeting is as good as any other platform to ensure a good collaboration experience. The one area I have not really had any benefit with is on the whiteboarding side of things.
We have been able to join a web conference quickly and easily but this is contingent on having the access code which sometimes doesn't happen automatically, and some times on a desktop there will be a conflict between having to download software rather than just using a URL. So this can be a little tricky, I have had some instances when I have joined on both a mobile device and a laptop and that has worked quite well.
In some instances, GoToMeeting is harder to use than alternatives such as Zoom or BlueJeans in terms of video experience and in some instances is more complex than using Skype for example. At times the mobile app is inflexible when trying to switch from mobile to an internet connection in particular when entering the pin code, which is very tricky when on the move.

GoToMeeting Feature Ratings