AppOptics: A must-have for a startup
May 17, 2020
AppOptics: A must-have for a startup
Score 8 out of 10
Infrastructure and Application Performance Monitoring (APM)
Overall Satisfaction with SolarWinds AppOptics
As an early-stage startup, we were looking for a solution that offered the following:
- Automated alerts
- Performance monitoring
- Request tracing
- Monitor 3rd party services
AppOptics provides all of this functionality at a much lower price than its competitors such as NewRelic or Instana. We have been using them for over a year to monitor our application and AWS infrastructure. We have been very satisfied with their product. It has helped us identify various performance issues, resource bottlenecks, and issues with downstream services. In case of issues in our infrastructure or downstream services, it has helped us resolve the issue with low turnaround times. We have given access to this tool to our entire engineering team. Additionally, we have set up automated alerting and configured it to notify us through OpsGenie.
- Request tracing with code profiling.
- Automated alerting on latency and response codes for each API.
- Low resource overhead while collecting data from our application servers.
- Highly performant dashboard that enables us to make progress rapidly.
- Very resilient. We have not seen a downtime in their service in the entire year that we have used them.
- Monitoring and alerting for downstream services can be improved significantly.
- They can make it easier and faster to setup alerts for the infrastructure and application.
- They should support SSO login.
- Faster Troubleshooting of issues in the infrastructure or our application, which helped us reduce downtime
- Helped us identify resource bottlenecks, which in turn, helped reduce our overall footprint and operational costs.
- It enables us to continuously monitor our application and alert us. This has allowed us to focus on product development without worrying about any underlying, hidden issues.
AppOptics has helped us identify bottlenecks in our application ranging from incorrect thread pool configuration to memory leaks to sub-optimal database queries. Based on these insights, we have made appropriate fixes which helped us better utilize our AWS infrastructure and thereby, lower our operational expenses. The continuous monitoring and automated alerting has also helped us significantly reduce our turn around times in case of issues. That has been key in reducing the business lost.
AppOptics has made it very easy to setup the monitoring for our application. We first set it up on our staging environment. This setup took less than an hour. We monitored the staging environment to evaluate the impact of the monitoring on our application and then enabled it on production. The automated instrumentation and pre-populated dashboards significantly reduced the amount of time we had to spend in configuring the tool. The dashboard's design is very intuitive to use. Once we rolled it out across the engineering team, we did not have to invest any time in training them.
As an early-stage startup, we evaluated the different options on the following parameters:
- Monitoring overhead
- Easy-to-use dashboard
With the current set of features, AppOptics is a great option for startups that do not depend on downstream external services for their product. I have already recommended it to some friends working at other startups. I am rating it 8/10 instead of 10/10 because its monitoring of downstream services is inadequate. In our company, we have a monolithic application. So, we don't have an opinion on how it would operate in a service-oriented architecture.