VWO: The tool you never knew you needed.
Updated April 12, 2019
VWO: The tool you never knew you needed.
Score 10 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with VWO
We use VWO primarily for its A/B testing functionality, secondarily for its ability to edit website content on the fly and implement flexible customer experience surveys. We use VWO in our EBSCO Mags business line, a B2B magazine agent. It allows us to implement A/B tests based on user behavior and other criteria and it allows the marketing department to make changes to the website before the Web Development team is able to implement permanent changes.
- A/B testing. VWO users are able to use all sorts of criteria to trigger and serve an A/B test, and the editor functionality is extremely flexible in editing page content.
- Surveys. We're looking to expand our surveys with the new logic functionality that VWO is beta testing.
- Web content editing that circumvents the web development "wait time". If marketing needs something simple changed on a webpage, all we have to do is go in VWO and edit or hide it.
- Continued learning. I think that quarterly product update calls would help us understand what's new in the VWO universe.
- Optimized our checkout process to increase conversion rates by as much as 3%.
- Prospected high-value customers with triggered surveys based on customer on-site time.
We have, we've implemented seven A/B tests and learned about our users' behavior. Our most significant test was removing buttons that showed up above the "Check Out" button in the shopping cart, increasing our conversion rate and giving us the knowledge that we should move that button elsewhere. We've also tested things like implementing sticky product-page CTA buttons and creating a different homepage experience for logged in users.
The editor is easy to use! Seriously, anyone that has used MS Paint can use VWO's editor. But it does allow for HTML/CSS savvy users to go in and make custom changes too, which is nice.
- Changing web content on the fly
- A/B testing and optimization
- Web personalization
- Implementing website banners for promotions
- Customizing content based on user data
- More A/B tests
- Prospecting high-value clients
- Finding new ways to personalize content
Evaluating VWO and Competitors
- Product Features
- Product Reputation
The value. For its price, VWO offers a wide range of services and plans that can suit anyone's needs, from a small business owner all the way up to a large corporation.
Training was good, just limited to the onboarding process. They walked through all of the steps it takes to get started in VWO and each of the modules, along with giving us ideas for starting our first test. I feel like it could be better if there was a guided process within the VWO program to continue to educate you along the way, and a way to turn that off for experienced users.
VWO's configurability is easy - we added a VWO script to the header of every page and added ecommerce tracking script to our ecommerce success pages.
Just paste the VWO script into the <head> tag of your website. Make sure that the script is implemented correctly by trying to edit a page within an A/B test.
Some - we have added small pieces of custom code - We added a script recommended by VWO support to check on page load to make sure elements were loaded, then apply VWO changes to those elements.
VWO support is honestly one of the best customer support setups I've ever worked with. All of the customer support reps are extremely knowledgeable about their product and how it applies to my website. My tickets are answered quickly and professionally, often giving me just the trick to do what I want to do with a short bit of code, or notifying me of a part of the VWO admin that I haven't used yet. VWO customer support is great.
Problems get solved
Kept well informed
No escalation required
Immediate help available
Support understands my problem
Support cares about my success
Quick Initial Response
It's built for anyone to use. My mother could make changes to a webpage with VWO. But there's enough flexibility there for a seasoned web developer to make changes effectively, too.
Like to use
Easy to use
Technical support not required
Quick to learn
Feel confident using
- Project management flow. The track - plan - analyze - test - and target modules take you all the way through implementing an A/B test, from observing user behavior to implementing a permanent change to your website.
- Sometimes making changes to an existing A/B test, even if they're insignificant, can cause VWO to give error notifications. I'd like to be able to ignore these if possible.
The product seems infinitely scalable for our needs (small business) and we've never had any issue with loading VWO-edited elements. I will say, though, that online customers with ad blockers have been known to not see certain VWO elements as their third-party scripts are disabled.
I have not experienced an application error or unplanned outage with VWO.
The integration with GA to track VWO tests in Google Analytics should be easier. It's not impossible, but it's time-consuming (30 mins?) and confusing at first.
- Google Analytics
We are able to see VWO test variants within Google Analytics, but the process is lengthy to set up. VWO should make this easier.
- Google Analytics data in VWO
Not to my knowledge. We want to be able to see GA goals in VWO.
Relationship with Wingify Pvt Ltd
Just make sure you have a clear understanding of each of VWO's different plans and what each plan provides. Make sure that your business will use the plan that you're thinking about getting and that the number of sessions matches up with the traffic your website gets. Other than that, just pick what you think is right for you.