OmniFocus is a project management platform for iOS: Mac, iPad, and iPhone. It has features such as task management, Siri capture, and workflow automation.https://media.trustradius.com/product-logos/wa/sl/9B02AVHUQNWQ.PNGOmniFocus: single user task manager that will greatly increase your successes at work and homeOmniFocus is an amazing planning tool. In our organization it's used at an individual level as it only recently started getting features that allow you to share tasks with others, so for very small groups and projects that are managed by a single person, it's one of the best we've ever used. OmniFocus solves many issues but for us, it does this: helps you understand all the projects at hand. All the projects that you can actually move forward with the resources available to you at that exact time. Your next step on each project that can be done at that moment.Allows us to unblock bottlenecks caused by dependencies on others as we can see tasks that are stalled or in 'waiting' status. Our sales cycles are more based on our ability to engineer solutions more than a decision by the client, so in our CRM the to-do list and next step feature isn't helpful so we offload those sales steps into. OmniFocus to keep them moving far more efficiently.,Ease of viewing your projects at a high-level. Ease of viewing what tasks need to be done at the present moment and the sorting of those tasks by availability, due date, start date, needed resources, and project. The visual interface is really nice to work with, the UX/UI is intelligent and intuitive. It's the most extensible software I've used. There is a community of people that publish compatible scripts for Omnifocus at no charge. The code is robust and I've almost never had a bug or a glitch that resulted in issues. The software syncs in the cloud between MacOS and iOS seamlessly and faster than other To-Do software. The sync aspect is available free of charge. The development team at Omnifocus is on top of bugs and they have been adding releases regularly to increase functionality and performance. While OmniFocus adheres to the GTD (Getting things done) principles, it can be used in almost any manner and you aren't stuck with just that methodology.,While the software wasn't designed for team use, it would be amazing if it was improved to allow team use.,10,OmniFocus keeps our tasks moving forward. Using a free script you can search all your current projects for projects that have no next step assigned to it to ensure nothing falls through the cracks. When we serve our clients, the attention to detail we are able to give them comes from accurate tracking of what we need to deliver. We complete projects 25% faster than before and we can see where the bottlenecks are immediate. We have also been forced to document tasks in a more concrete manner which allows for better execution.,Todoist, Asana and MeisterTask,OmniGraffle, LessAccounting, Google FormsThe best task manager for iOS and Mac users is OmniFocusOmniFocus is used as a task list and project management tool to help organize all sorts of projects. It is currently in use by our Marketing Department to manage content creation, daily, weekly, and quarterly tasks, as well as long term planning for more comprehensive projects that span multiple departments and business units.,Easy task list creation using keyboard shortcuts Great at-a-glance look at weekly due dates Tasks can be organized within projects,It would be great to see a dark mode in OmniFocus Their upgrade strategy involves having to purchase new versions when they are released It would be good to have a quarterly view of tasks and due dates.,10,OmniFocus helps us stay focused on what is most important. OmniFocus helps us not to miss even smaller tasks, as it gives great visibility into everything due and upcoming. OmniFocus ensures we meet deadlines.,1Password, MailChimp, Yoast Wordpress SEO Plugins, WordPressA powerful for personal task managementOmniFocus is used by individuals on a personal basis. Since it's not really geared toward team collaboration, it's better suited for individual task management. For me, it helps provide a comprehensive way of tracking projects at a very granular level. By using OmniFocus, I am much less likely to forget a task, whether that's following up on an email or spending time making progress on a creative project.,Managing projects at both a broad and a granular level. Allowing you to build customized views of your work. Helping you review projects that have not been looked at in while. Separating projects from different aspects of your life (e.g. work, home, consulting),I'd like to see more customization options for keyboard navigation. There are two preconfigured sets of settings, but no option to modify. Sometimes synchronization between desktop and mobile doesn't push, and I need to manually refresh. Attachment support is clunky.,9,Save times, probably 15-20 minutes a day of organizing my work. Helps me avoid missing projects I may have overlooked. Reminds me to stay on track of projects that have stalled.,Wunderlist and Trello,Airtable, Trello, Google DriveSimply The Best Productivity Application on the Market!Every employee within the business uses OmniFocus. It is the primary tool for management of projects and activities for each team member. The primary use case is for effective control of current and future work activity; however, given its power and flexibility everyone also uses its for personal task management as well. OmniFocus provides a platform for ubiquitous capture, organisation, scheduling and execution of work (everything from simple chores and tasks through to complex projects).,Rich in functionality but flexible at the same time meaning that user adoption is rapid and friction-free; more exotic features and functions can be introduced over time as the user builds his/her familiarity with the product Allows my users to follow their productivity method of choice (most of us are fans of David Allen's GTD method but OmniFocus isn't rigid or prescriptive in its implementation Cross-device synchronisation means I can seamlessly switch from desktop to laptop to tablet to smartphone and have access to my data in real-time; this means I can always have access to the data no matter where I am or what I am doing,Apple-device compatible only so Windows users can't use the product No web-interface available to allow me access via a web browser A few features not available on iOS implementation that are available on MacOS such as being able to set projects as auto-close on last task completion - not showstoppers but minor inconveniences,10,By introducing OmniFocus into my business I have been able to implement standardised working practices across the team; it has made the adoption of the GTD method much easier for the employees who had never come across it before The flexibility and richness of the application mean that all team members are constantly living with OmniFocus - we have virtually eradicated all other modes of activity and planning capture, so no bits of paper or post-it notes, no emails to self, no accumulation of files with crib notes, no illegible notes scribbled in books, etc. Everything is captured at source in OmniFocus. Project meetings with clients and internal team meetings are driven via OmniFocus so we always know "what's next" As a team I've seen improvements in morale and attitude as OmniFocus has enabled them to cultivate the right habits around effective productivity; these improved working practices in the office via OmniFocus are now also being put in place at home for some of the employees giving them a greater sense of control and visibility in their professional and social lives,,MindManager, OneNote, Teamwork Projects,10,1,Task and project management Project definition, scheduling and execution Implementation of the GTD method,Meeting minutes capture and follow-up Client calls and engagements actions capture Work delegation control,Collaboration coordination and control,10In a class by itselfOmniFocus is the core accountability and planning tool of my legal practice. I use it to keep track of deadlines, to plan cases from start to finish, to keep track of legal or factual issues that pop up, and as a reminder for keeping clients informed as to case status and surprises that inevitably occur. OmniFocus works along with my calendar and my practice management apps. That said, I use OmniFocus far more than I use either one. OmniFocus is far more powerful for planning and tracking than either my calendar (Fantastical) or my practice management app.,Planning. I have created templates for case management that I can cut and past into new cases. I use OmniFocus not only to stay on track with big picture items, but to keep in mind interesting thoughts that occur to me. Accountability. I am better able to work ahead of deadlines using OmniFocus. OmniFocus is OS agnostic. My daily planning is done on my MacBook. I often add tasks using OmniFocus for iOS. I often use Siri to add tasks to OmniFocus while in the car ("Siri, open OmniFocus"). The dictated action items go into my Inbox, and I organize them (and clean up the almost inevitable grammar errors) when I am back in front of my computer. Organizing by life focus. This is my default way to organize in OmniFocus. My big categories are Family, Work, Heath, Household. Work is then broken down by (1) administrative tasks (e.g., trust accounting, billing), (2) client matters, (3) business development, (4) miscellaneous. I can get as granular as I want to get, but can always back out to the 30,000 foot view. Organizing by deadline. You don't have to assign deadlines to every task, which makes it helpful to keep in mind what is really important (e.g., the deadline to file an appeal).,I would really like to see graphic presentations of how I allocate my time, what categories of tasks don't get accomplished, etc. I would like to see OmniFocus include Gantt chart functionality, such as allowing me to see how long it took me to accomplish a task from start to finish. Allowing me to actually input time spent, and seeing it on a Gantt chart, would be icing on the cake.,10,OmniFocus keeps me ahead of deadlines. I certainly feel better when I file a brief early. OmniFocus keeps me focused on my clients and their needs and concerns. OmniFocus has made me more pleasant -- less stress from deadlines.,Trello and Wunderlist,Microsoft Office 365, Dropbox, Mailbutler
OmniFocus

OmniFocus Reviews

OmniFocus
Filter 21 vetted OmniFocus reviews and ratings

Shirin Elkoshairi profile photo
March 28, 2019

Review: "OmniFocus: single user task manager that will greatly increase your successes at work and home"

• Ease of viewing your projects at a high-level.
  • Ease of viewing what tasks need to be done at the present moment and the sorting of those tasks by availability, due date, start date, needed resources, and project.
  • The visual interface is really nice to work with, the UX/UI is intelligent and intuitive.
  • It's the most extensible software I've used. There is a community of people that publish compatible scripts for Omnifocus at no charge.
  • The code is robust and I've almost never had a bug or a glitch that resulted in issues.
  • The software syncs in the cloud between MacOS and iOS seamlessly and faster than other To-Do software. The sync aspect is available free of charge.
  • The development team at Omnifocus is on top of bugs and they have been adding releases regularly to increase functionality and performance.
  • While OmniFocus adheres to the GTD (Getting things done) principles, it can be used in almost any manner and you aren't stuck with just that methodology.
  • While the software wasn't designed for team use, it would be amazing if it was improved to allow team use.
OmniFocus is great for a single user setting. If you'd like to organize your work and home life, you won't find anything better. It can track projects by step, date, subject, context, category (home, work, hobby). It's not suited for team use if you need to collaborate on specific projects together, however, for the solo worker or a person that manages a project and doles out the tasks, it's quite powerful.
Read Shirin Elkoshairi's full review
January 18, 2019

Review: "The best task manager for iOS and Mac users is OmniFocus"

• Easy task list creation using keyboard shortcuts
  • Great at-a-glance look at weekly due dates
  • Tasks can be organized within projects
  • It would be great to see a dark mode in OmniFocus
  • Their upgrade strategy involves having to purchase new versions when they are released
  • It would be good to have a quarterly view of tasks and due dates.
I'm a big fan of OmniFocus for task management. It's my go-to task manager, and is very useful for those that have bought into the Mac and iOS ecosystem, as all my tasks quickly sync between my MacBook Air, iPhone, and iPad. Obviously this means it's not as good of a choice for web or Windows users.

OmniFocus uses their own server to sync, and although it works great and I haven't had any issues with it, it's strange that they choose not to use iCloud syncing.

Overall, I highly recommend OmniFocus for Mac/iOS users.
John Rougeux profile photo
November 15, 2018

OmniFocus Review: "A powerful for personal task management"

• Managing projects at both a broad and a granular level.
  • Allowing you to build customized views of your work.
  • Helping you review projects that have not been looked at in while.
  • Separating projects from different aspects of your life (e.g. work, home, consulting)
  • I'd like to see more customization options for keyboard navigation. There are two preconfigured sets of settings, but no option to modify.
  • Sometimes synchronization between desktop and mobile doesn't push, and I need to manually refresh.
  • Attachment support is clunky.
OmniFocus is good for "power users" who favor a system that's fast over one that's pretty. It has a little bit of a learning curve, so it's probably overkill for simple task management. However, if you're willing to invest the time in learning OmniFocus and customizing it to suit your needs, it works quite well. I'd especially recommend it for someone who struggles with losing track of ideas and requests, and needs a good system for adding items at one point and then filing later on.
Read John Rougeux's full review
Ash Sharma profile photo
February 16, 2018

OmniFocus Review: "Simply The Best Productivity Application on the Market!"

• Rich in functionality but flexible at the same time meaning that user adoption is rapid and friction-free; more exotic features and functions can be introduced over time as the user builds his/her familiarity with the product
  • Allows my users to follow their productivity method of choice (most of us are fans of David Allen's GTD method but OmniFocus isn't rigid or prescriptive in its implementation
  • Cross-device synchronisation means I can seamlessly switch from desktop to laptop to tablet to smartphone and have access to my data in real-time; this means I can always have access to the data no matter where I am or what I am doing
  • Apple-device compatible only so Windows users can't use the product
  • No web-interface available to allow me access via a web browser
  • A few features not available on iOS implementation that are available on MacOS such as being able to set projects as auto-close on last task completion - not showstoppers but minor inconveniences
1) Great for managing your work and personal activities.
2) One of the best implementations of the Getting Things Done method.
3) Not really suited for collaborative work management; OmniFocus is managed on a per-user basis so you can't share/assign tasks.
Read Ash Sharma's full review
Brad Pearce profile photo
December 12, 2017

OmniFocus Review: "In a class by itself"

• Planning. I have created templates for case management that I can cut and past into new cases. I use OmniFocus not only to stay on track with big picture items, but to keep in mind interesting thoughts that occur to me.
  • Accountability. I am better able to work ahead of deadlines using OmniFocus. OmniFocus is OS agnostic. My daily planning is done on my MacBook. I often add tasks using OmniFocus for iOS. I often use Siri to add tasks to OmniFocus while in the car ("Siri, open OmniFocus"). The dictated action items go into my Inbox, and I organize them (and clean up the almost inevitable grammar errors) when I am back in front of my computer.
  • Organizing by life focus. This is my default way to organize in OmniFocus. My big categories are Family, Work, Heath, Household. Work is then broken down by (1) administrative tasks (e.g., trust accounting, billing), (2) client matters, (3) business development, (4) miscellaneous. I can get as granular as I want to get, but can always back out to the 30,000 foot view.
  • Organizing by deadline. You don't have to assign deadlines to every task, which makes it helpful to keep in mind what is really important (e.g., the deadline to file an appeal).
  • I would really like to see graphic presentations of how I allocate my time, what categories of tasks don't get accomplished, etc.
  • I would like to see OmniFocus include Gantt chart functionality, such as allowing me to see how long it took me to accomplish a task from start to finish. Allowing me to actually input time spent, and seeing it on a Gantt chart, would be icing on the cake.
OmniFocus is well suited for anyone who is serious about managing deadlines or accomplishing more in his or her life. I recommended it to the teenage son of a friend who has ADHD (the son, not the friend). I've bought it for my kids. OmniFocus works unobtrusively to make life better.
Read Brad Pearce's full review
Doug Eli profile photo
December 01, 2017

OmniFocus Review: "Forget what you need to do with confidence!"

We use OmniFocus as one of the preferred task management applications. We are primarily a Mac organization and OmniFocus is one of the best task management tools for individuals. It helps me and the others who use it organize all their To-Dos in a way that allows them to see what they need to see and nothing else. Tasks that are distractions or lower priorities can be hidden away to avoid "Mind Clutter".
  • Contexts! I use my own contexts to organize To-Dos. For example: Full Focus, Brain Dead, Short Dashes, Thinking, and Top 6. This allows me to easily find a short task I can do in the 15 minutes I have. Or if I'm mentally drained, I can find things that I can do at that time.
  • Perspectives is another great feature. These are custom searches that are saved as common "views". Using projects, context, due dates, defer dates, and Status allows me to have much more control over what I see. For example, I have a context that only shows me work To-do's that are due today. I have another that shows my personal/home to-dos. Another option is to use location services that can notify you or list things you can do based on location. This is a great way to separate home and work tasks.
  • Syncing across devices is important, particularly for productivity needs. OmniFocus sync works so well, you never think about it once it is set up.
  • The user interface is very easy to work with and looks nice. It is the kind of tool that allows you to work with it and not get in the way.
  • I would like to see more ways to set priority. Context can be used, but I find contexts better used for other things. You can only assign one context per item. There is a flag status, but I would like to see something more like red/yellow/green status indicators to visually scan a list and see the urgent vs the normal vs. the low priorities.
  • It can be a bit pricey vs. some other options, but it is still a very good value.
Who should use OmniFocus
  • Anyone with multiple projects
  • Anyone with multiple tasks that need to get done
  • Anyone who does not like to forget what to do
  • Anyone who prefers to stay organized
  • Anyone who is not told what to do and when to do it
I think I covered everyone with that list. It is a very good tool to manage your tasks in life. I try and follow the "Getting Things Done" approach. Each morning I think of everything I need to do, put it in Omnifocus (unless it takes less than 2 minutes, then I do it), then go about doing what I need to do. Context, due dates, and status lets me filter out the urgent from that which can wait.

That said, OmniFocus is not for everyone. It does require a strategy and sticking to the strategy. I've met some who struggled to use it or wasted time building the perfect workflow. For them, a basic checklist is probably better. However there are some GREAT resources from Merlin Mann and others that teach how to use it well.
Read Doug Eli's full review
Christian Payne profile photo
June 02, 2016

Review: "Use Omnifocus to get you and your business organised"

Omnifocus is a fantastic application for project management. The ability to set up parent / child tasks and roll up into milestones and then individual projects, make it the most user-friendly project management tool. All users are able to access their tasks and (keep updating) via mobile devices (iPhones and iPads) to ensure that everyone has a real-time view of all current projects. It is extremely easy to assign people to tasks and each member can configure their own notifications of tasks that are higher priority and those which which are nearing deadline.
  • Marketing Campaigns......we are able to list the many facets of a marketing campaign and structure all the actionables required.
  • Development Projects......we are able to assign both internal personnel as well as external out-sourced partners to all tasks and projects. There is a review module within Omnifocus which makes it simple to keep on top of progress.
  • Personal Tasks......Omnifocus is also great for your personal tasks; whether it's a shopping list or a home DIY project.
  • Gantt Chart view as in Microsoft Project would be nice.
  • Interface with Evernote would also be great for better file storage.
  • Automatic Sync on mobile devices is missing.
I have found personally that Omnifocus is excellent for both home and business. I have used Omnifocus for quite some time and one of my fears is losing data or it getting corrupted. In all the time that I have used Omnifocus, I have never lost a single piece of information, so I am satisfied that this is bullet proof. An area I would like to see Omnifocus develop into is by providing a (push-task) to other users. Currently you can only assign tasks in your own database, but I would like to see more of a team collaboration suite.
Read Christian Payne's full review

Task Management (7)
9.9
Resource Management (4)
Gantt Charts (1)
Scheduling (5)
Workflow Automation (3)
Team Collaboration (1)
Support for Agile Methodology (2)
10.0
Support for Waterfall Methodology (1)
Document Management (3)
6.0
Email integration (4)
Mobile Access (7)
Timesheet Tracking (1)
Change request and Case Management (2)
10.0
Budget and Expense Management (1)
Quotes/estimates (2)
Invoicing (1)
Project & financial reporting (1)
Integration with accounting software (1)

About OmniFocus