Reviews (1-5 of 5)
November 05, 2019
Score 8 out of 10
It is used across our whole organization to provide backups and archiving of system-critical production hosts. It addresses issues of data availability, integrity, and security and it does them in a very easy to use manner. On top of that, it supports our required compliance issues and makes it easy to restore critical systems and data in the event of a failure.
- Automation and scheduling.
- Easy to use interface.
- Virtually painless deployment and configuration.
- Linux support is available, but the configuration isn't as easy as with Windows.
- Quite resource hungry at times.
Quest Rapid Recovery is well suited for business scenarios where back up is needed in a set it and forget it manner. Great for beginning admins because it is incredibly easy to learn and use. Scales incredibly well with your organization as it grows. It may present challenges in hybrid os environments, but it still manages to serve the needs there as confidently as in a homogenous environment once configured.
Read this authenticated review
In the very few instances we've needed support they have been quick, friendly, knowledgeable, and dedicated to servicing our needs. That has only improved since AppAssure was bought out by Quest.
AppAssure is used to back up all our Windows and Linux servers, both physical and virtual. In the past we were using Tivoli and find this a much easier solution to manage. Traditional file level backup solutions were problematic with our document management application because of the sheer volume of files. The ability to export a backup to a virtual machine has allowed us restore a "broken" VM with just a few clicks. This same function gives us the ability to have a "standby" VM ready to power up should a production VM fail.
- Installation and setup is simple. You can be up and running in minutes.
- Your backups can be replicated to the cloud or to another AppAssure server to give you additional protection.
- The user interface is simple and easy to use and improvements in the UI and reporting are getting better with each update.
- My biggest pet peeve is when the agent on a protected machine stops working. These failures don't show up on my daily report. I need to check the GUI to insure all the agents are talking to the core. Killing the agent process on the protected machine, then starting the service always seems to get them talking once again.
- Linux support is limited to specific distributions. We often have to enlist AppAssure Technical Support to get our Linux VMs protected.
- Dell releases patches to both the core and agents. The GUI reports the version of the version level but nothing about any applied patches.
Read Tony Albanese's full review
AppAssure works well for quick access to point in time backups of Windows machines without having to do a complete restore. The virtual standby function is useful as a disaster recovery or high availability solution. Recent upgrades to the product and rebranding to Rapid Recovery look promising. If your Linux machines are mission [critical] make sure your administrators test restores so they can perform them in a timely manner should the need arise.
October 12, 2015
Score 10 out of 10
We use AppAssure as our data backup and data recovery solution. AppAssure is currently being used in our corporate environment and across all of our branch office locations. We are able to do a bare metal restore under 30 minutes and for our mission critical servers we utilize the Virtual Standby feature which [brings back] a dead server back online within minutes. With a secondary AppAssure appliance in our branch office locations, we are able to replicate our mission critical network share server to 2 other sites, which accommodates our disaster recovery issues. Overall, we are very satisfied with the AppAssure appliances we've purchased.
- AppAssure add-on (DocRetriever for SharePoint Console) allows us to recover a particular sub site in SharePoint if deleted.
- AppAssure add-on (Local Mount Utility) allows us to drill into an incremental backup to retrieve a file that was saved on a particular date and be able to mount it and make it into a temporary file recovery share.
- AppAssure Virtual Standby allows us to put our primary domain controller on Virtual Standby in lieu of a disaster.
- I've noticed that pushing an agent update via the console does not always work. It gets frustrating to download the 300mb agent and install it manually across our infrastructure servers.
- Reporting is a big issue, the canned reports aren't really helpful. I wish there was a way to have customized reporting. Also, be able to schedule reporting from the console. I had to schedule it through PowerShell, but most people aren't proficient with PowerShell so it could be quite challenging.
- The Event logs: When there is a failure, it doesn't provide explanation at times of why it failed. If there was a solution/suggested To-Do if a particular error occurred it would save a lot of IT time.
Read Dhaval Parekh MCP, MCSA, MCSA+M's full review
If your organization is looking for a solution that provides reliable backup, quick data restore or replication then AppAssure is the appliance to consider. If your organization has Hyper-V or VMware in your environment and requires those [to have] .vhdx or .vmdk backup, then AppAssure is the appliance to consider. If your organization is looking for a data recovery solution, then consider using AppAssure.
May 10, 2017
Score 1 out of 10
We are using AppAssure now Rapid Recovery, to backup our VM servers at our datacenter. The backup product is not meeting our backup demands, we often get missed backups. We have 100 VMs to backup and we are also doing off-site replication to an Azure RR core. When rollups are running, it halts the backups. We adjusted the rollups to run once a week, it consumes too much of our repository space. Can't win with the product.
- It's good when there are no issues with the backup. It works well with file level restores if you can get the systems backed up without any corruptions.
- We have many repository corruptions and have to blow our backups away. I would not recommend using this if you are keeping a long retention.
- We upgraded the agent and it created a new base image. Duplicate base images are eating up into our repository space.
- I would like to see the repositories go away and use the type that was introduced for replay.
Read this authenticated review
We have to monitor the backups daily, it's so bad that support is monitoring our core for us daily. Managing backups is another full-time job and it should not be this difficult with new issues every week. I don't recommend this product to anyone, stay away if you can and go with something more reliable.
We initially purchased this product for the hot P to V features of AppAssure. It expanded when our remote sites needed a VM backup solution. They were running ESXi free version, so there werent many options. When we were told AppAssure could backup ESXi free we explored the software further. For the price and purpose of the solution, it was the best we could find. Since then, we've been using AppAssure to back up all our VMs in our remote sites.
- Continuous backup with deduplication and compression
- The P to V function of the software is create. To be able to back up physical machines and create a hot spare on a virtual environment was a great selling point.
- Can back up physical and virtual (ESX or Hyper-V).
- The GUI and response times are far too slow. It would be nice if this could be improved.
- Currently you can set a blanket retention policy for all protected machines. It would be great if this could get more granular and can do protection groups of machines where you can custom set retention policy
- Once again, policies where you can set backup times for groups rather than individual machines would be great.
Read this authenticated review
I belive AppAssure is now part of the Dell protection Suite. We have a very messy backup process where we run several backup products: one product for virtual, one for physical, Appassure for special backup needs. If you are looking at AppAssure, ask yourself if you're willing to use the entire backup suite from Dell. I feel one of the key things for backup is a single pane of glass. Can you manage a majority of your backup needs and processes from this one product?
Quest Rapid Recovery Scorecard Summary
Feature Scorecard Summary
What is Quest Rapid Recovery?
Quest Rapid Recovery is a data backup and restore offering from Dell. It provides virtual standby, encryption, replication, deduplication, and the ability for users to run without restore.
Simplify backup and restore
Monitor and manage backup and recovery environments — across multiple sites — from one cloud-based management console.
Address demanding recovery point objectives
Leverages image-based snapshots, up to every five minutes, to address demanding recovery point objectives and reduce risk of data loss and downtime. Rapid Recovery tracks changed blocks to accelerate backups and reduce storage.
Wide application support
Application-consistent backup with lightning-fast recovery for file servers and applications on both Microsoft Windows and Linux systems.
Cloud-based backup, archive and disaster recovery
Archive your static data to Microsoft Azure, Amazon S3 and Glacier, Rackspace, Google, or any OpenStack provider. Implement easy DRaaS in the Azure cloud with just a few clicks. You can even run Rapid Recovery can also be ran as a replication target in the Azure cloud for free.
Virtual environment protection
Protect both physical and virtual environments with a single backup and recovery software solution; agentless backup and recovery for Microsoft Exchange and SQL databases residing on users' virtual machines.
Data deduplication and replication
Significantly reduce storage requirements and associated costs by up to 95% with built-in compression and deduplication.
Categories: Data Center Backup
Quest Rapid Recovery Pricing
- Does not have featureFree Trial Available?No
- Does not have featureFree or Freemium Version Available?No
- Does not have featurePremium Consulting/Integration Services Available?No
- Entry-level set up fee?No
|License + 1 Year 24/7 Maintenance||1,819.99|
Quest Rapid Recovery Technical Details